• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elite Dangerous: Horizons |OT| Just scratching the surface

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Got the PS4 version but the included code for Horizons/1000 points doesn't work.

WHAT DO?! ;_;

EDIT: Never mind, works now. Codes must not have been activated quite yet.

okay. i'm thinking an Adder for my first. i have cargo, it transfers right?

Transferring cargo works if the new ship has space.

When buying a new ship (instead of transferring to one you already own) then the 'stock' loadout must have enough space.
For an Adder, the default loadout has 6t of space.

The Coriolis website is a great way to check the default loadout and experiment with your own:
https://coriolis.edcd.io/

My golden rule for upgrades is to have at least 2x the ship purchase price (including the trade in price if you sell your current ship). This will leave you with enough money to buy some upgrades and have plenty for insurance.
Going from an upgraded ship to a stock 'better' ship will be a massive downgrade and upgraded modules are generally pretty pricey.

The Adder is an okay ship, but I'd recommend a Cobra III or Viper as soon as you can afford it - they are much better ships. The Adder is bad at combat. The big gun means nothing with its poor manoeuvrability. The main benefit of the Adder is good jump range and decent cargo space. It's the Internet Explorer of spaceships. It's useful for getting you to where you can find a better option.
The Cobra III is arguably the most versatile ship in the game. It's very cheap for what you get, and the upgrade potential is huge. I have an upgraded Cobra with a trade-in price of about 9 million, which is insane since it costs just 0.35 million to buy.

On this subject: PRO-TIP for upgrades!
Find a system controlled or exploited by "Li-Yong Rui" (use the 'powerplay' or Galactic Powers map filter).
His systems have a 20% discount on all ships and upgrades. You do not have to join his faction to get this (I advise ignoring 'powerplay' completely).
His home system is Lembava, which has a decent selection of low-end ships and equipment. If you want a better selection, try
Diaguandri
(spoilered since this is not obvious and some people will want to find good locations themselves).

For quick cash, RES bounty hunting (mostly kill-stealing from the system-police) is hard to beat - though it is dangerous. RES stands for Resource Extraction Site, which can be found in many ringed planets. I'd google it to find out more. I'd try it when you get bored of courier missions.
I'd keep well away from "conflict zones" in systems with "War" status. They can be very dangerous for new players (and old ones too!). They might be worth trying in a wing, but make sure you have spare cash for your inevitable deaths.

If you desperately want to be an explorer, the Hauler is the cheapest viable option for sightseeing. It'll get you to Maia or Betelgeuse quite easily. Strip it bare, upgrade internals to D-class (lightweight) and an A-grade FSD, plus a big fuel scoop (best grade you can afford) and scanners (detailed and advanced if you can afford them). You don't need a shield (though you might feel more comfortable with one). You might want an A-grade powerplant, since higher grades protect you from burning up when fuel scooping.
It's probably best to wait until you can afford a Diamondback Explorer if you want to find unexplored systems since you'll need to travel at least 1000 Ly to find any.
I'm currently heading home at about 750 Ly from Sol after a round trip of 10,000 Ly. The last new discovery I made was about 900 Ly away from Sol.

Synth

Yes that unlocks the camera to look around but you do so by tilting the controller. It's extremely awkward. I'd prefer just to use the right stick.

Ah ok. In the other versions after clicking it, you use the right stick to move the camera around. Weird that wouldn't still be an option.

Reckheim

Press the corners of the DS4 touch pad to access the different screens. That's how I was doing it.

I'd like to disable sixaxis myself though.

Yes that unlocks the camera to look around but you do so by tilting the controller. It's extremely awkward. I'd prefer just to use the right stick.

you should be able to change that in the settings, I don't think frontier would make such a bad implementation.

WITHE1982

you should be able to change that in the settings, I don't think frontier would make such a bad implementation.

Ah ok. In the other versions after clicking it, you use the right stick to move the camera around. Weird that wouldn't still be an option.

I had a quick look but noped out after seeing the amount of options. If I figure it out tonight I'll post it here. It does seem pretty strange and I'm sure there's an obvious solution.

Are you guys keeping up with this? Seems one of the Thargoid bases is active! You can go inside and place an Unknown Probe, an Unknown Artifact, and an Unknown Link (new item) in the correct spots to make this happen in the internal chamber!

lMT7gB0.jpg

HOLY SHITBALLS!!!

Hopefully someone brings some
Guardian
artifacts to see what happens.

Are you guys keeping up with this? Seems one of the Thargoid bases is active! You can go inside and place an Unknown Probe, an Unknown Artifact, and an Unknown Link (new item) in the correct spots to make this happen in the internal chamber!

HOLY SHITBALLS!!!

I guess we know why they did the stress-test beta asking for as many SRV's as possible to dick around in an ancient ruin site. Open Play at the Thargoid base is going to be nuts.

Knowing my luck I'll be the first player to encounter a hostile Thargoid interdiction as I return from my epic exploration trip before I can cash in the data.

Reckheim

I guess we know why they did the stress-test beta asking for as many SRV's as possible to dick around in an ancient ruin site. Open Play at the Thargoid base is going to be nuts.

Knowing my luck I'll be the first player to encounter a hostile Thargoid interdiction as I return from my epic exploration trip before I can cash in the data.

If i was you, i'd start heading back now, looks like they are ramping up this thargoid stuff.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Will be starting up for the first time on PS4 tonight.
Will there be a PS4 clan or guild or whatever the Elite equivalent is?

Decisions....

Played ED when it 1st came out, up till before horizons came out then stopped (can't remember why!)
Now, with today's PS4 release i'm tempted to dive back in, either grabbing for the PS4 Pro or getting horizons on the PC instead.

So, PS4 players, in the brief time you've had with it, how's it running? Any noticeable enhancements? Plus, i've seen PSVR talked about as possibly coming....those more in the know, likely?
Grabbing horizons on the PC would be the easier option obviously, but i don't own a hotas and would be playing via kb/mouse.

So, more of a case on what platform to go with rather then should i get it full stop. :)

WITHE1982

Decisions....

Played ED when it 1st came out, up till before horizons came out then stopped (can't remember why!)
Now, with today's PS4 release i'm tempted to dive back in, either grabbing for the PS4 Pro or getting horizons on the PC instead.

So, PS4 players, in the brief time you've had with it, how's it running? Any noticeable enhancements? Plus, i've seen PSVR talked about as possibly coming....those more in the know, likely?
Grabbing horizons on the PC would be the easier option obviously, but i don't own a hotas and would be playing via kb/mouse.

So, more of a case on what platform to go with rather then should i get it full stop. :)

I'm playing on the base PS4 and it seems to run just fine although it's my first time with the game so I've nothing to compare it with.

On the subject of PSVR I'd say not very likely. In today's AMA The CEO of Frontier said:

David Braben said:
I'm a huge fan of VR, and have been carefully following it from day one. The most important thing is it is a good experience, and we're not there yet in terms of the quality. It's certainly something we'd like to consider, but quality is vital.

It is great on both the Vive and Oculus. We have a big team on the game, and optimisations are coming all the time. As I said on a previous question though, quality is vital.

Framerate and so motion is the key element here.

I think that's a polite way of saying the PS4 just isn't there in terms of power.

Reckheim

Will be starting up for the first time on PS4 tonight.
Will there be a PS4 clan or guild or whatever the Elite equivalent is?

The Apam Napat system has a faction called Neo Galactic Adventure Force (NeoGAF).

You can help out the faction a bit (you'll soon figure out its pointless but it might be fun for a few hours).

There isn't really a clan system (as far as I am aware, haven't logged in in a while).

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
The Apam Napat system has a faction called Neo Galactic Adventure Force (NeoGAF).

You can help out the faction a bit (you'll soon figure out its pointless but it might be fun for a few hours).

There isn't really a clan system (as far as I am aware, haven't logged in in a while).

Thanks. Pretty sure I saw that mentioned in the OP, but not much context was provided. You answered my question better.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel

lMT7gB0.jpg

HOLY SHITBALLS!!!

The site is really awesome and atmospheric. I spent a lot of time last night just racing around the crazy place in my SRV and ship checking it out.

xrnzaaas

Hm, so the base version + season pass is cheaper than deluxe edition on the PS4... any exclusive content missing from that combo?

Man, this is so strange. I haven't played a flight sim on consoles in ages, but I have been flying racing drones as a hobby for two years now. I can't use normal control mapping. For drones it is yaw and throttle on L and pitch and roll on R. Luckily I can remap it but it is weird to try to fly a spaceship like a drone.

golly, thats a lot to take in.

i had already bought the adder, and some minor upgrades that i can store for later use. as of now, i'm enjoying being a space mailman, but i'll look into bounty hunting. only got about 220k credits right now

I'd start to look at base system to grind rep at this point as well. Getting better missions will help you get better returns. Don't forget passenger missions with a cargo ship, sightseeing and transporting can be very lucrative early on.

BSpot

I am really on the fence about whether this game is FOR me or not. I am intrigued and want it. I worry it may be too hardcore, too simmy for me.

I kind of think I should buy the 29.99 digital PS4 version and see if the core gameplay works for me. If it does not, I'm only out 30 big ones. And if I like it, I would get the Horizons DLC.

Do I miss out on any bonuses if I buy it a la carte vs. buying the 59.99 bundle?

CAN you even buy the Horizons DLC separately? Is it more expensive if I don't buy it bundled?

iosefe

I'd start to look at base system to grind rep at this point as well. Getting better missions will help you get better returns. Don't forget passenger missions with a cargo ship, sightseeing and transporting can be very lucrative early on.

by base system, you mean pick a system and work from there?

darkwing

I am really on the fence about whether this game is FOR me or not. I am intrigued and want it. I worry it may be too hardcore, too simmy for me.

I kind of think I should buy the 29.99 digital PS4 version and see if the core gameplay works for me. If it does not, I'm only out 30 big ones. And if I like it, I would get the Horizons DLC.

Do I miss out on any bonuses if I buy it a la carte vs. buying the 59.99 bundle?

CAN you even buy the Horizons DLC separately? Is it more expensive if I don't buy it bundled?

yes, it is sold separately

Drazgul

Is the next expansion due some time this year? Now would be a good time to jump in it seems.

Edit: Looks like Horizons is being extended well into this year, still some new stuff coming - nice!

Mathrin

I am pretty much in the same position. It looks great but I am really quite worried that the whole game is just going to be incredibly overwhelming. I've a long history with MMO's, but I'm finding FFXIV to be a lot to take in at the moment, and from what I understand these days - XIV is on the "simpler" end of the spectrum of games.

But at the same time, it looks so damn pretty on the PS4 Pro and it's only 20 quid.

In general - would this be worth getting if I can't spend hours at a time online and in game in one go?

Thanks.

Is this version of the game single player supported...And most importantly....OFFLINE?!

There is no offline.

You can select a mode to play with you as the only human and everything else as AI.

I was hoping there would at least be a flicker of activity at PS4 launch. I miss CQC :'(

All FDev has to do if they want to revive CQC is to attach some sweet-ass exclusive skins and maybe a ship to those who reach Elite in CQC.

That'll bring everyone back, 100%.

You can change the sixaxis headlook controls to use a stick. It's in the controller options, under "headlook".

The menus are dense, but worth looking at carefully. Really impressed at the control customization options.

CQC is so dead on all platforms that you may as well pretend it doesn't exist.
That's a shame. Especially since there are 5 trophies tied to cqc.

JP

Picked up the PS4 version earlier and I am so bad at this.

I started off docked and I managed to take off but somehow ended up upside down as I left the landing pad. Flew around for a bit before turning around to try and land in the same place but they space murdered me with missiles and I had no idea what the hell was going on.

What is the best way for someone like me to start, is there a way to start in some sort of safe area where I'm not going to be murdered because I've broken a rule that I don't know about? I just need to be able to safely practice flying around and landing and getting used to the controls.

I started off docked and I managed to take off but somehow ended up upside down as I left the landing pad. Flew around for a bit before turning around to try and land in the same place but they space murdered me with missiles and I had no idea what the hell was going on.

What is the best way for someone like me to start, is there a way to start in some sort of safe area where I'm not going to be murdered because I've broken a rule that I don't know about? I just need to be able to safely practice flying around and landing and getting used to the controls.
Try the training missions. You can restart as much as you want, and it's not your "real" character, so nothing matters.

Thanks.

Reading what you're saying there, does that mean the ship I was in is now lost? I was trying solo mode.

Once you take off from a station, you are expected to leave the station. This is to keep traffic from getting tied up and can (as you learned) have serious consequences if not followed. If you want to dock again, you have to leave the station and put in another docking request. If you didn't buy back your ship then you'll go back to the starter ship I believe.

Thanks.

Reading what you're saying there, does that mean the ship I was in is now lost? I was trying solo mode.
I'm not sure how losing a ship works, haven't lost mine yet. But I'm assuming you lost the starter ship, I think you can get another one of those for free?

You could always just reset your save too. Since it sounds like you haven't really done much yet, no real harm there.

Widge

You have to request permission to land, which is why they got all pissed off with you.

Routine goes like this:

Request launch
Leave (you need to do this too or else they get peed off)
Get a distance away from station
Align yourself with where you're jumping to (use the little round compass)
Jump
Arrive
Cruise to place (there is a decent way of doing this so you don't overshoot constantly)
Drop out of super cruise
Request docking
Land

So whats a good upgrade goal to set for yourself with regards to ships ?

I just got the PS4 version and I'm in the sidewinder doing data deliveries for the most when I find some.

EDIT: Just undocked. The server lagged apparently ? I crashed in the station...

EDIT: I love the radio chatter you get when exiting from a station.

Top Bottom