• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elite: Dangerous |OT| Every Man's Sky

Status
Not open for further replies.

cyrok

It's there, but it's limited. You can play with other people, but there is no practical way of teaming up. There also isn't something like a general chat. You have to invite people to a group chat or you can message someone individually.

Very active. There are a number of big expansions and smaller updates coming up. One of which will introduce a better way of teaming up with other players.

So there isn't a GAF group or any group system setup yet or still in the pipelines?

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness
So there isn't a GAF group or any group system setup yet or still in the pipelines?

Nah, we just have the player list from the OP:

NeoGAF Player List

The "private groups" system just goes by player name so it's a bit awkward. Proper guild/clan type features should be coming with the "Wings" update, whenever that is.

Burny

Got into my first combat with an NPC finally, using a Dualshock 4 and my starter ship. Nothing spectacular, but the second kill did remind me of something out of Star Wars.

http://youtu.be/cupX1GEFQ3w

60fps looks great. ^^ Your hardware seems up to the task.

Have you thought about a HOTAS though? Watching that video, one can literally feel you playing with the gamepad. Not daring to pull the stick too much to preventing overshooting, somethimes still pulling too much... With a decent joystick you'd probably have easily landed a lot more hits in a shorter time, especially when the targets were further away. You have just that much more travel for precise control and aiming at moving targets than with a gamepad's analogue stick.

owlbeak

Printed out and made the papercraft model Sidewinder from the newsletter today (since it's Friday, and let's face it, I'm not doing much at work anyway). First time doing something like this, but it turned out okay!

NijZFwg.jpg

cyrok

Nah, we just have the player list from the OP:

NeoGAF Player List

The "private groups" system just goes by player name so it's a bit awkward. Proper guild/clan type features should be coming with the "Wings" update, whenever that is.

I'll check it out maybe I will take the plunge, jonesing for a space sim game. Thanks for the info guys.

BNGames

60fps looks great. ^^ Your hardware seems up to the task.

Have you thought about a HOTAS though? Watching that video, one can literally feel you playing with the gamepad. Not daring to pull the stick too much to preventing overshooting, somethimes still pulling too much... With a decent joystick you'd probably have easily landed a lot more hits in a shorter time, especially when the targets were further away. You have just that much more travel for precise control and aiming at moving targets than with a gamepad's analogue stick.

I haven't wanted to bite the bullet yet. Im struggling with making decent money to buy something better. I was supposed to have some buddies buy the game also so we could group but now they are flaking. Im not sure yet.

Finally made it to a Type 9 with 7 million left over. Big mistake, the drive to do anything useful is 15 million. Oh well, multiple jump grinding for a while.

SJRB

Gold Member
Just finished installing my new GPU [took WAY longer than it ever should be, fuck old BIOS versions], downloading the game as we speak.

I'm so excited, haha.

AngryMoth

Hope you have a Mac with a real graphics card because it's probably not gonna run on anything with only Intel integrated graphics, so I hear.
This is totally OT but this just made me wonder if game support on Mac is gonna get worse now apple has stopped putting discrete graphics in 21" iMacs and everything but the ridiculously expensive top end mbp (that I'm saving up for lol).

DrBo42

Damn, this seeking luxuries thing is soooo boring. I made my 40 runs in 2 hours and it's enough.

Sure is. Only made 6 mil so far in my Type 6 and it's just not enough. Will continue to farm until I can rebuy the Type 9 I lost in the Christmas tragedy.

Faith

Sure is. Only made 6 mil so far in my Type 6 and it's just not enough. Will continue to farm until I can rebuy the Type 9 I lost in the Christmas tragedy.
Christmas tragedy?

My current assets are worth 50mio. 2 hours more for the Python :D

DrBo42

Christmas tragedy?

My current assets are worth 50mio. 2 hours more for the Python :D

I was flying a Type 7 with no shields and an NPC rammed me in a docking port, didn't have enough cash for the insurance so I effectively lost 17 or 19 million. That was on Christmas Eve I think.

This is totally OT but this just made me wonder if game support on Mac is gonna get worse now apple has stopped putting discrete graphics in 21" iMacs and everything but the ridiculously expensive top end mbp (that I'm saving up for lol).

The iMac still has an option for Nvidia cards in the higher-end models or if you build-to-order.

I was flying a Type 7 with no shields and an NPC rammed me in a docking port, didn't have enough cash for the insurance so I effectively lost 17 or 19 million. That was on Christmas Eve I think.

This is kind of a crazy system. So a random NPC can crash into you, and your insurance has to pay for it, not theirs? I get that it might be hard to determine "fault" in a case like this, but seems a bit unfair to penalize a player for bad AI.

Sooo.... I have no idea where a good trade route is. I wouldn't be too upset to do some travel to find somewhere good to trade. Any suggestions? Right now I just have a 16 capacity hauler, and I feel like right now I'd be making better money hunting in my Eagle.

EDIT: Looks like Tenche is the hot spot then?

Hylian7

The Start button is greyed out on the main menu, and it says the server IP at the bottom and says "Unconnected", what's going on?

Whoo boy. 30,000 in just a few minutes if freaking crazy. And to think this is still the LOW end of what II can do with this. Hopefully I'll have enough for a Type 6 soon enough, and start using that.

Kiyoshi

Whoo boy. 30,000 in just a few minutes if freaking crazy. And to think this is still the LOW end of what II can do with this. Hopefully I'll have enough for a Type 6 soon enough, and start using that.

150,000 space bucks every 4 minute trip in the Type 6, not too bad at all. I earned around 4m, enough to buy A rated modules for my Cobra and now I'm on my way back to Alliance space.

Danj

Was there any plans for a mobile companion app to this? With like a galaxy map you could look stuff up in, or something? Because that would be really useful to check out these places you guys are talking about while I'm not actually in-game.

Hylian7

Ugh, pissed off the feds because a goddamn idiot fed pilot flew in front of me as I was helping them get the wanted criminal they were after. GG

DrBo42

Was there any plans for a mobile companion app to this? With like a galaxy map you could look stuff up in, or something? Because that would be really useful to check out these places you guys are talking about while I'm not actually in-game.

There is a mobile app available on iOS (not sure if it made it to android yet). But I'm not sure of its capabilities.

Fasty

Just flew my Cobra filled with slaves and tobacco straight into the side of a station while trying to make a stealth entrance :( Shattered. Thankfully had enough for a rebuy! Also, anyone seen one of these?
rQmb.jpg

DrBo42

Just flew my Cobra filled with slaves and tobacco straight into the side of a station while trying to make a stealth entrance :( Shattered. Thankfully had enough for a rebuy! Also, anyone seen one of these?

Ouch. Use a chaff launcher rather than attempting to stealth, much easier. Yeah I've seen those crazy arms before, only once though.

HelloMeow

I decided to learn flying with flight assist off while doing the performance enhancers thing. The constant docking and undocking with a big slow ship is really paying off.

GeoGonzo

Ouch. Use a chaff launcher rather than attempting to stealth, much easier. Yeah I've seen those crazy arms before, only once though.
Are you sure this works? I know that when WE are scanning someone and the target uses chaff the scan is interrupted, but I don't think it works on NPC scans! At least I tried twice and didn't manage to delay it one bit.

As for station with arms: I actually had it hit me with one of those as I flew out, almost gave me a heart attack too since it struck from behind as I flew around the station, while I was lining up my next jump from what I thought was a safe distance.

Jedi2016

Are you sure this works? I know that when WE are scanning someone and the target uses chaff the scan is interrupted, but I don't think it works on NPC scans! At least I tried twice and didn't manage to delay it one bit.
I would imagine it doesn't prevent the scan outright, it just prevents them from actually getting anything from it, giving you enough time to get inside the station. I'm pretty sure it was confirmed to work on security ships.

Faith

I decided to learn flying with flight assist off while doing the performance enhancers thing. The constant docking and undocking with a big slow ship is really paying off.
I tried to memorize where the landing pads are. Red light on your right, 40/25 down, 10 on the right side, 2/9/17 beneath you as you enter the station. Green light on your right, 39 down, 24 down (closer to the entrance).

I saved around 10 seconds this way :p

Btw, if anyone has a decent jumprange and can land on outposts, here is something for you:

123123132xnrog.png

This was my best route back then when I had an ASP for trading.

GeoGonzo

I'm at 85M worth and starting to plan ditching my Python for a Lakon Type 9.

http://www.edshipyard.com/#/L=30Y,,2-A0Ba9i8SA06u9s,0DI0Bk0AA7TC07207205U05U03w

That would be 87,5M there + 2,2M for alpha insurance + 3,1M for cargo + the 5,5M I'm not getting back after selling the Python...

So my target would be 98,5M.

And I need to find a place where they sell them too. Maybe I should simply fly back to Fan Horizons where I know they had some.

Also, unrelated:
GALNET NEWS said:
GALNET NEWS 31 JAN 3301

Tenche Commodity Market Update - Best Sellers: Palladium
Doubtful!

I would imagine it doesn't prevent the scan outright, it just prevents them from actually getting anything from it, giving you enough time to get inside the station. I'm pretty sure it was confirmed to work on security ships.

Hm... maybe you're right. I'll have to try again whenever I'm actually smuggling something into a station.

How do I rank up with the Federation? I know it's linked to bulletin board missions that appear but I've only been offered the first 2 and that was when I first started playing a few weeks ago. My reputation is friendly and I keep doing missions for Federation aligned stations. I'm a little confused.

GeoGonzo

How do I rank up with the Federation? I know it's linked to bulletin board missions that appear but I've only been offered the first 2 and that was when I first started playing a few weeks ago. My reputation is friendly and I keep doing missions for Federation aligned stations. I'm a little confused.

As far as I know, you're on the right track.
Except for choosing Feds instead of Empire

What I did was move to a large station and do as many missions as I could for them, and almost always after one or two trips (mostly trading/reputation missions) I found a new mission allowing me to rank up. As soon as I got one or two ranks at a station and had it as friendly, I moved somewhere else.

I can't vouch for this being the best method, but it worked for me.

As far as I know, you're on the right track.
Except for choosing Feds instead of Empire

What I did was move to a large station and do as many missions as I could for them, and almost always after one or two trips (mostly trading/reputation missions) I found a new mission allowing me to rank up. As soon as I got one or two ranks at a station and had it as friendly, I moved somewhere else.

I can't vouch for this being the best method, but it worked for me.

Weird. I've been doing these missions for hours and have not received a ranking mission yet today.

DrBo42

Tested it extensively a few versions back. Absolutely buys you a few seconds to get through the docking threshold.

GeoGonzo

Weird. I've been doing these missions for hours and have not received a ranking mission yet today.

Weird indeed. Have you tried at a different station? Or maybe its some sort of bug.

You must have a new class A-C FSD too, the jump range is so low otherwise you'll be stuck in the system.

Yup, I'll go with a B. Thanks for the advice though!

-edit-

Tested it extensively a few versions back. Absolutely buys you a few seconds to get through the docking threshold.

Ah, good then!

kvk1

Has anyone been able to complete the "hunt the bounty hunters" missions?

Looking around the official forums they seem to be bugged for over a month now.

Spent like 3 hours last night on one of them and nearly went mad. Had to abandon.

GeoGonzo

Hah! The Type 9 really DOES roll as fast as other ship yaw. And that's not very fast!

Yeah I've tried multiple stations but I haven't seen a Federation Navy mission in weeks.

I really just want to visit Sol.

Looking at the bright side, that way you'll get to see Sol after patch 1.1, so it will look even better.

SJRB

Gold Member
The Universal Cartographics menu is the most overwhelming thing I've ever seen, I'm completely at a loss at what I should be doing.

I started the game at a space station, found a contract to bring some food to a nearby system. So I went there but evidently taking the contract doesn't automatically mean you get the cargo, so when I arrived to be the hero I realised I had zero cargo.

So now I'm manually browsing each system for stations that trade fruits, but I'm pretty sure I'm doing this completely wrong somehow. Could anyone give me some super noob tips to point me in the right direction?

Danj

The Universal Cartographics menu is the most overwhelming thing I've ever seen, I'm completely at a loss at what I should be doing.

I started the game at a space station, found a contract to bring some food to a nearby system. So I went there but evidently taking the contract doesn't automatically mean you get the cargo, so when I arrived to be the hero I realised I had zero cargo.

So now I'm manually browsing each system for stations that trade fruits, but I'm pretty sure I'm doing this completely wrong somehow. Could anyone give me some super noob tips to point me in the right direction?

With those type of missions they expect you to source the food yourself and take it to the target. It'll cost you some credits but depending on the mission type they may reimburse you.

To find where sells food (without using an external tool like a trading website or the BPC or whatever) go to the Galaxy Map, select the View tab and go to the trade routes section. Disable everything except the type of item you've been asked for, and then you'll see glowing arcs with moving blobs along them showing the direction of import/export. Just go to a system the blobs are moving away from and you'll be able to get your food there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom