• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elite: Dangerous |OT| Every Man's Sky

Status
Not open for further replies.

offtopic

He measures in centimeters
This game is dangerous. I just bought a flight stick about a week ago. Now I'm looking at the Track IR page on Amazon.

I did the same progression...I'm worried I'll be pricing ORs soon. Honestly, if you are just trucking cargo, the trackIR doesn't add much. Sure, it is pretty cool but the focus for trading is just to get from one place to the other as quickly as possible. If you are exploring or fighting then yeah...the trackIR is incredible.

Hylian7

Bought my first new ship, an Eagle, and ran into a power issue outfitting it with stuff. I'm over power output by 2%. I'm guessing I need a better power module or something?

bj00rn_

Banned
I tried trading-only with a Type 6 for a while (good route as well) , but it's kinda boring to be honest... I think I need to go get back to my Cobra and do some dogfighting between boulders in a ring system now to compensate, lol.

Yeah, one question about silent running, why does it make my heat go up?

Silent Running changed from how it worked in the early Alpha videos; it now means it turns your shields off, which generate a lot of heat (makes you more easily scanned) and closes the vents on your ship to attempt to minimise the heat it pumps out into space also. This means that internally the heat builds up petty fast; Generally the best thing to do is to toggle Silent Running off as your temperature gets to to 100 degrees, wait for your ship to cool down some, then switch on Silent Running again.

What I like to do to slow the build up of heat whilst Silent Running is go over to the right hand panel which lists my active modules, and manually switch off my guns, fsd, cargo scoop, and anything else that isn't essential to docking.

Hope that helps!

red731

Thrustmaster T-Flight HOTAS X......
to buy or not buy.....
My second joystick in around 18 years.... hotas HOTAS....

Already using Crab's 360gamepad setup. I believe this is natural advancement?

I don't want to shelve more because I've heard that MadCatz Saitek quality isn't all that awesome, albeit the ingame joy in modeleded from X52 pro (if I'm not mistaken)

Anyone here that has HOTAS X? You might be the one to make me buy it.

Burny

Thrustmaster T-Flight HOTAS X......
to buy or not buy.....
My second joystick in around 18 years.... hotas HOTAS....

I know I'm not helping, but what you want might be this glorious thing. ;)

black-mamba-fat-02-853eqcw.jpg
black-mamba-fat-10zrrk6.jpg

I don't want to shelve more because I've heard that MadCatz Saitek quality isn't all that awesome, albeit the ingame joy in modeleded from X52 pro (if I'm not mistaken)

Anyone here that has HOTAS X? You might be the one to make me buy it.

Yes, I'm not helping... :-/ Especially considering you'd still have to get a throttle and probably pedals as well.

red731

That looks sexy as hell. Thank you, haha :D

I was looking at Saitek X52, X52pro and X55, but still will propably settle for that T Flight Hotas X - because the price is damn fine and then, if it catches me, I can progress for more expensive/quality sticks.

Burny

...I can progress for more expensive/quality sticks.

Only thing I can say to that is: If you buy cheap, you'll buy twice (if it "catches" you ^^). :-/

If you're unsure whether you'll get into flight sim stuff however, you're probably better of with the T-Flight HOTAS X. Should be able to handle all essential controls and you can still resell it if you want to upgrade to soften the blow a bit. While I could recommend the X52 Pro in terms of buttons/funcitonality, I can't deny that it feels too cheap for the 180-200$/€ you'll be asked for it.

red731

Gotcha Burny :)

Yeah, if I would like to progress, I could sell it (HOTAS X) to two another E:D playing guys here in the office.

I think I've made my decision and will buy HOTAS X. The price of asking/versus me liking/not liking it is very fine with me.

Thank you

GeoGonzo

I wonder if we'll get a dev update today, like they did the last two wednesdays.

Something I read on their forums lately is that after 1.1 an accidental shot won't be enough to cause retaliation from local security.

bj00rn_

Banned
I wonder if we'll get a dev update today, like they did the last two wednesdays.

Something I read on their forums lately is that after 1.1 an accidental shot won't be enough to cause retaliation from local security.

Oh man, this is really good news! I do lot of bounty hunting in RES and while I've become better at not hitting other ships this issue with harsh retaliation has always been really annoying. Especially because I need to abort my hunting just to go all the way back to a station to pay the fine.

Where? :O

Beta Sculptoris. Go to Fan Horizon station, buy Performance Enhancers and take them to luxury traders that are basically orbiting the station. Supply and demand hasn't changed in days. 1300+ c/t profit. Roundtrip is like 5 minutes max.

Just double check with a small batch first to make sure it's still going.

Faith

Beta Sculptoris. Go to Fan Horizon station, buy Performance Enhancers and take them to luxury traders that are basically orbiting the station. Supply and demand hasn't changed in days. 1300+ c/t profit. Roundtrip is like 5 minutes max.

You can trade with ships?

Thanks for the tip! Now I just have to find out how.

mitchman

Gold Member
Was either a human (unlikely) that wanted to pirate you, a system security force that wanted to scan you (likely), or an NPC that wanted to pirate you (unlikely).

System security would only interdict you unless you're wanted or unfriendly to their faction. Likely NPC pirate.

thelatestmodel

Junior, please.

Gaaah and I'm 8,000 light years away, returning from an exploration trip. Will take me days to get there. Ah well.

xAlias

So is this a bug, or something dumb I'm doing:

1. Request permission to dock, granted, given pad #.
2. Go to pad #, try to land.
3. Land, try facing every direction, no "Docking successful".

This happened to me once tonight and I just had to cancel docking, re-request, and then landed and it worked, doing nothing different than the last time. I didn't get any kind of Loitering warning or anything.

Yeah that seems a bug. Has happened to me as well. Requesting for redocking was the only way to fix it.

You can trade with ships?

Thanks for the tip! Now I just have to find out how.

Just get close. When you jump in you'll be close to about 5 or 6 Type 9's, just fly close and you'll see a credit amount announced in your info screen (including a larger text pop up).

1) Go to station
2) Load up on Performance Enhancers
3) Exit station or Logout/login to save time
4) Set Nav to closest 'Seeking Luxuries' in your Nav
5) Fly there and drop in
6) Fly close to ships (if you're lucky it's automatic because it will drop you close enough to a ship to trigger the transaction)
7) boost away in any direction going away from the T9's so you don't get mass-locked
8) Engage Supercruise
9) Set Target to station, fly there and dock

How far away is the OS X build from being released at this point? It doesn't really make me want to invest in this game when the Mac already seen as a second-class citizen.

Dex815

How far away is the OS X build from being released at this point? It doesn't really make me want to invest in this game when the Mac already seen as a second-class citizen.

They said that it would take approx. 3 months after the release. So wait until March at least.

They said that it would take approx. 3 months after the release. So wait until March at least.

Thanks; the long wait continues. Despite my gripes about inequality of platform support, I'm really looking forward to this. Is it holding up to expectations, generally speaking?

mitchman

Gold Member
Got my Anaconda now. It flies a little less like a whale than a type-9, but not by a huge amount. I'll need to have a 2nd ship for fun stuff and this one as a glorified trade ship.

Dex815

Thanks; the long wait continues. Despite my gripes about inequality of platform support, I'm really looking forward to this. Is it holding up to expectations, generally speaking?

Totally.

I think that the people that complains is simply because they don't really enjoy the sandbox nature of the game (no end game), or cause they try to get the expensive ships (like that is their goal) by grinding a lot, and after 8-10 hours of grinding just to get an ASP, they realize that they really are not having fun with the game.

Also I think that a lot of people play it trying to maximize the amount of credits that they earn in every task that they do, and at some point they realize that instead of a game it looks like a job by playing it like that.

If you really enjoy sandbox games without end game (other than the one that you set for yourself), or space/flight sims. Then you will have assured fun. The amount of hours that you spend on it is up to you.

Oh and there is also the people that rants because Frontier is not adding tons of new content in the first month after the release... Not even MMOs do that. I'm my opinion the initial release is quite complete in content, at least to keep you entertained for a few months.

So far between betas and the released game I have spend probably around 60-80 hours with it, and I enjoy it as the first day. And knowing the future that they have planned (content), I guess that I will be playing this for a very long time, just like other classic PC games and sims with long term and healthy communities.

DrBo42

Got my Anaconda now. It flies a little less like a whale than a type-9, but not by a huge amount. I'll need to have a 2nd ship for fun stuff and this one as a glorified trade ship.

Surprised you didn't go for the Python, supposed to handle much better.

Totally.

I think that the people that complains is simply because they don't really enjoy the sandbox nature of the game (no end game), or cause they try to get the expensive ships (like that is their goal) by grinding a lot, and after 8-10 hours of grinding just to get an ASP, they realize that they really are not having fun with the game.

Also I think that a lot of people play it trying to maximize the amount of credits that they earn in every task that they do, and at some point they realize that instead of a game it looks like a job by playing it like that.

If you really enjoy sandbox games without end game (other than the one that you set for yourself), or space/flight sims. Then you will have assured fun. The amount of hours that you spend on it is up to you.

Thanks, that's encouraging. Yeah, I have no desire to play it like an MMO and turn it into a grindfest. I'm more interested in the RP aspects...creating a narrative for my character through exploration, trading, and of course space battles.

I just lost a ship full of rare cargo because I raced into a station forgetting to request permission. I was so deep into the station that I could get turned around in time. Damn it.

What the fuck? I paid my bounty and I don't have anything in my transactions but when I look at my reputation, it still says I'm Wanted with a 600 bounty.

Never mind. Save and quit and relaunched and the bounty was gone.

I just lost a ship full of rare cargo because I raced into a station forgetting to request permission. I was so deep into the station that I could get turned around in time. Damn it.

What the fuck? I paid my bounty and I don't have anything in my transactions but when I look at my reputation, it still says I'm Wanted with a 600 bounty.

I honestly do hope they ease back on penalties. They need SOMETHING between a 500-700 fine and murder.

Nymerio

rofl, I had the same thin happen to me when I was playing with a friend. He laughed his ass off when he saw me get blown up.

AngryMoth

I'm having a lot of fun bounty hunting at resource extraction sites, but I wish there was a way to pay off small bounties without having to treck all the way back to a station. Can't seen to go more than 20 mins without a federation ship flying in front of one of my lasers.

bj00rn_

Banned
I'm having a lot of fun bounty hunting at resource extraction sites, but I wish there was a way to pay off small bounties without having to treck all the way back to a station. Can't seen to go more than 20 mins without a federation ship flying in front of one of my lasers.

This will be fixed in the upcoming 1.1 update :)))

mitchman

Gold Member
Surprised you didn't go for the Python, supposed to handle much better.

I sold my Python to get the anaconda as the anaconda can fit 456t cargo with shields. I expect to get a another Python or clipper later for that fun part (aka not trading).

cheezcake

So would you guys recommend this game to someone who hasn't played Elite before? I like flight sim stuff, I love space based games, I'm more just worried about the amount of stuff to actually do in the game. I've heard for a sandbox type of game there's not actually much to keep you occupied with for long.

mitchman

Gold Member
Although I'm a bit skeptical about some of the balancing (murder/griefing is way too easy with too little penalty) and lack of deeper content and content for higher level ships, I will still recommend it.
With a proper joystick or controller, it's great to dogfight and fly around with, and there is plenty to do. There is a grind factor to it, but there are still ways to have fun without it if you want to settle with smaller ships.
Get the combat dogfight demo and see if you like the fight mechanics first, though. Note that you can play the game Solo (only with NPC) and in private groups (one PvE private group has more than 3000 members), if you don't want to go into Open Play for the pvp and other players that might kill you.

mitchman

Gold Member
It's also worth mentioning that they are expanding and developing the game continuously, as you would a MMO even though it's not really an MMO. So content is added, events happen, etc.

Faith

Ok I'm there now and there aren't any seeking luxuries nav points :/

So is it gone?

bj00rn_

Banned
A developer working on it (I can't remember her name) also recently said that this fix will not work with all weapons, so you'll still need to be careful with railguns and such.

Some kind of penalty for big time sloppiness or sustained fire is ok with me.. But I hope that the dev is changing it so that at least for small fines you should be able to pay them without having to dock. And it's also stupid that security forces immediately try to kill you if you do a simple mistake.

owlbeak

Feel sorry for the people grinding money like it's a job.

I have my little Viper that's decked out and 300,000 CR in the bank and I am ranking up in the Federation and just doing whatever missions sound interesting and help the factions I choose. I've been in Sol for a few weeks and I'm about to switch back to my Adder and start doing some exploration of deep space.

Always fun things to do and new things to discover in this game. Grinding is something I'd never want to do. The money will come naturally with time. Slow down and enjoy yourself. :)

Also, this is awesome. Next update will show which CMDRs first scanned and sold data on systems! And no more selling system data one system at a time.

For this week’s dev update the focus is on the 1.1 update which will go into beta next week. First we have some good news for explorers. We’re adding the discovered by tag to the system map so when you view a body’s information you will see which commander first scanned and returned to sell the data for that body. Supplementing this we’re also adding information when you sell exploration data of the bodies contained within the exploration data being sold for a specific system. There’s also a change to enable selling exploration data a page at a time to help those who have been on long journeys of exploration!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom