• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elite: Dangerous |OT| Every Man's Sky

Status
Not open for further replies.

kvk1

Yeah, Tenche is swarming right now. It's fun!

Got interdicted in my poor Type 6 by the Van Buren Boys. (Real player.)

They just wanted 30 tons and wouldn't bother me for the rest of the route.

I had to oblige. Their ASP was faster, more armed, and scarier than mine.

Damn you, VBB. Get a real job!

owlbeak

Yeah, Tenche is swarming right now. It's fun!

Got interdicted in my poor Type 6 by the Van Buren Boys. (Real player.)

They just wanted 30 tons and wouldn't bother me for the rest of the route.

I had to oblige. Their ASP was faster, more armed, and scarier than mine.

Damn you, VBB. Get a real job!
Why didn't you flash them the secret sign!?

van-buren-boys-secret-sign-500x376.jpg

kvk1

Why didn't you flash them the secret sign!?

http://seinfeldism.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/van-buren-boys-secret-sign-500x376.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]

lol

i wanted to ask him/her that if i loved the seinfeld reference would they let me go

didn't want to break the rp

oh well, so far i haven't been interdicted again. "noble" pirates...i tell you man.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Also, this is awesome. Next update will show which CMDRs first scanned and sold data on systems! And no more selling system data one system at a time.

Oh HELL YEAH! Finally, exploration love! I'll get to have my name immortalized in the galaxy for all time now with every undiscovered system I explore!

Michael Brooks said:
For this week’s dev update the focus is on the 1.1 update which will go into beta next week. First we have some good news for explorers. We’re adding the discovered by tag to the system map so when you view a body’s information you will see which commander first scanned and returned to sell the data for that body. Supplementing this we’re also adding information when you sell exploration data of the bodies contained within the exploration data being sold for a specific system. There’s also a change to enable selling exploration data a page at a time to help those who have been on long journeys of exploration!

YYEAAAHHHHHHHH!!!! No more taking half an hour to sell all of my exploration data!!!

kvk1

Well, nothing in this game has raised my heartbeat as much as trying to enter/leave ports with a bunch of CMDRs around.

People, please, slow down.

;_;7

Thanks, that's encouraging. Yeah, I have no desire to play it like an MMO and turn it into a grindfest. I'm more interested in the RP aspects...creating a narrative for my character through exploration, trading, and of course space battles.

Definitely go that route but also beware that even then you will still struggle to find things to do from time to time as the game is now. It has the base for a great game but there's still a way to go before it truly hits that mark. I've been spending my time RP'ing as a bounty hunter or pirate depending on how I feel, but after a few hours it runs a bit dry and devolves into the same grind fest.

Pinktaco

Dunno if this have been answered, if so just point me in the direction, but how accessible is this game to complete newcomers of the genre? I just skimmed the OT and didn't find an answer. I don't mind spending some hours learning the game, but if it requires a lot it might not be me.
It sounds interesting though.

mitchman

Gold Member
Dunno if this have been answered, if so just point me in the direction, but how accessible is this game to complete newcomers of the genre? I just skimmed the OT and didn't find an answer. I don't mind spending some hours learning the game, but if it requires a lot it might not be me.

I'd say you can get into the basics by doing the tutorials and maybe watching a few videos and testing out stuff. Doing it in the start ship cost nothing and has no consequences for you, so it's "safe". Using a controller or joystick helps as you won't need to remember all the shortcuts. So 1-2 hours for the basics perhaps, and then maybe watch videos and such for the more advanced topics.

It's fairly accessible. I'm new to Elite as well and while you're going to find a lot of things you don't understand at first you can piece it all together after a while. Watch a few tutorial videos explaining flight assist off etc and bear Youtube in mind anytime you find a weapon/utility you don't understand. Any career path you choose can be figured out pretty quick from watching others do it too and if you decide to trade make sure to the use the online tool to check profits since the in game trade route data is awful unless you want to learn what every last item is and it's sell price off by heart. But you're gonna need to learn a good share of them anyway should you wanna go pirate or miner.

joethefoo

I just lost a ship full of rare cargo because I raced into a station forgetting to request permission. I was so deep into the station that I could get turned around in time. Damn it.

Next time just log out. You are not in combat so you exit quickly. When you log back in you will be outside.

There really isn't that much 'here', but what is here is great. You'll pick it up fairly quickly. Never played a space sim or the Elite's of the past and I'm enjoying it for the most part. Just hope they stick with their plans for the expansions and the basic role of the game and I'll be good.

Hylian7

Dumb question, when a station is shooting at someone else, is it possible to get caught in the crossfire? There was a Type-6 transporter seemingly stuck or something (it was an AI) by the entrance to a station, and the whole station was pissed and trying to shoot the fuck out of him. I had to fly in and out, but luckily didn't get hit.

Also, another random question: How is combat logging handled in this game? I mean for instance, lets say another player interdicts someone, and the victim just logs out as soon as they get interdicted. Are they punished at all or do they just basically "get out of jail free"?

GeoGonzo

Dumb question, when a station is shooting at someone else, is it possible to get caught in the crossfire? There was a Type-6 transporter seemingly stuck or something (it was an AI) by the entrance to a station, and the whole station was pissed and trying to shoot the fuck out of him. I had to fly in and out, but luckily didn't get hit.

Yup, getting caught in the crossfire can happen, and some griefers have even used this to bring down players with large ships by suiciding a free sidewinder and letting the station do all the work.

Hylian7

Yup, getting caught in the crossfire can happen, and some griefers have even used this to bring down players with large ships by suiciding a free sidewinder and letting the station do all the work.

Wooooow, that is really fucked. You would think they would have it implemented where the station would actively try to avoid shooting innocents.

GeoGonzo

Well, most of the AI is kind of basic right now. Apparently things will get more interesting in the next two months, since it'll learn some new tricks.

And I'd love to see the npc ships go near the green side while entering/leaving stations, but I guess that can't be a priority.

Danj

How far away is the OS X build from being released at this point? It doesn't really make me want to invest in this game when the Mac already seen as a second-class citizen.

Hope you have a Mac with a real graphics card because it's probably not gonna run on anything with only Intel integrated graphics, so I hear.

Faith

This "seeking luxuries" thing is really dumb. Tomorrow I will have a Python, by the end of the week a Type9. By the end of the next week an Anaconda.

Game over?

Hope you have a Mac with a real graphics card because it's probably not gonna run on anything with only Intel integrated graphics, so I hear.

I have a 1GB 5770 right now; seems like that should be adequate, even if it won't run with the highest settings.

Gold Member
Got a flight stick arriving tomorrow so I will be picking this up for certain over the weekend. Really excited to finally try it out :)

Are there server issues? I'm having issues logging in.

Edit: When the game finally launches the Start option is greyed out for me. Ugh.

Alright. Looks like I'm in now.

Hylian7

Okay, I'm confused. I'm wanted by the federation:

h6x7Z62.png

I landed at a federation station:

cCdjzno.png

Try to pay the bounty, and...

9xthf4O.png

What am I missing here?

Shifty76

I have yet to find a Seeking that wants something from the nearest hub. I think you guys are liars.

Looks like my numbers for T7/clipper were off a little (10m/hr was type-9) but here:

http://www.reddit.com/r/EliteTrader...ntion_all_grinders_seeking_an_alternative_to/

I also posted a vid at the bottom of a page (a few back now) that showed me making 285,600 per run (3 mins and change) so that's 5m or so/hr at a station I found with a sale price of ~6300 per and 0.17 ls away from the buyers. With a station that sells for 6100 or less (they exist - check Thrudds) and a distance of only 10Mm that time would drop by at keast 30s, resulting in even better profit/hr.

I'm off to check out that Imperial system mentioned in that thread now since I'm in Imp space anyway.

@Hylian7: Likely the United LHS 3479 Green Party who run that station are independent and do not have Federation allegience. Same deal with cashing in Fed bounties.

Faith

I have yet to find a Seeking that wants something from the nearest hub. I think you guys are liars.
Just go to Tenche, there was a link in one of the last 50 posts.

1420CR/ton. 8-10Mm away from station. 3min/run if you rejoin the game after launching (quick exit).

Hylian7

Looks like my numbers for T7/clipper were off a little (10m/hr was type-9) but here:

http://www.reddit.com/r/EliteTrader...ntion_all_grinders_seeking_an_alternative_to/

I also posted a vid at the bottom of a page (a few back now) that showed me making 285,600 per run (3 mins and change) so that's 5m or so/hr at a station I found with a sale price of ~6300 per and 0.17 ls away from the buyers. With a station that sells for 6100 or less (they exist - check Thrudds) and a distance of only 10Mm that time would drop by at keast 30s, resulting in even better profit/hr.

I'm off to check out that Imperial system mentioned in that thread now since I'm in Imp space anyway.

@Hylian7: Likely the United LHS 3479 Green Party who run that station are independent and do not have Federation allegience. Same deal with cashing in Fed bounties.

CFZn4HK.png

What does having "Federation allegiance" actually mean though?

kvk1

Okay, the traffic at Tenche is insane right now.

The "horizon" at supercruise looks like a fireworks show with all the CMDRs jumping in and out.

Okay, the traffic at Tenche is insane right now.

The "horizon" at supercruise looks like a fireworks show with all the CMDRs jumping in and out.

Is this where all the gaffers are at now?! I'm still hanging round Ho Hsi although I haven't been playing online much recently.

Feel sorry for the people grinding money like it's a job.

I have my little Viper that's decked out and 300,000 CR in the bank and I am ranking up in the Federation and just doing whatever missions sound interesting and help the factions I choose. I've been in Sol for a few weeks and I'm about to switch back to my Adder and start doing some exploration of deep space.

Always fun things to do and new things to discover in this game. Grinding is something I'd never want to do. The money will come naturally with time. Slow down and enjoy yourself. :)

I'm a masochist, I actually enjoy the grind. Even when I had my fully decked Asp or competent Python and went Bounty Hunting I still came back to trading. I plan to head out in the Asp and do some exploring here soon.

I've always 'done the grind' in almost any game though, so it's just in my nature. Plus with how quick a trade run is I can do a lot of other things around the house that come up (a puppy does not like to be ignored for an hour at a time!).

To each his own, people that do it and hate it? Yeah, that I don't get. But I've repeated laps in racing games during hot laps over and over and over trying to improve my time, this is kind of the same thing really. I actually took a T9 out of the station with FA off, that was quite challenging!

Besides the Python (which we've been told isn't a combat ship
and I'm pretty disappointed in the changes and the direction the 'balance' is going
) I'm not a fan of the smaller combat ships so I'm kind of waiting until combat, missions, influence, and all that stuff is more fleshed out and improved before I really dig in with a better ship selection.

I'm in this for the long haul. If I found trading really that annoying I'd do something else most likely, especially if it didn't pay so well! So it's kind of a win/win for me.

Also, regarding the RANK INCREASE, I thought it was just trading goods that did it, but I think the actual act of purchasing the goods contributes to your rank. I went from Broker to Entrepreneur the past couple days doing the Luxury Stuff (which is considered smuggling) so I believe it's the purchasing part, not the selling part.

So if you're going after 'dat rank, it's cutting your progress in 1/2 I believe since I don't 'think' smuggling counts. Tough to say though, anybody have clarification on that? They've been pretty tight lipped on 'what' actually affects each rank, I assume for min/max'ers out there.

owlbeak

I'm a masochist, I actually enjoy the grind. Even when I had my fully decked Asp or competent Python and went Bounty Hunting I still came back to trading. I plan to head out in the Asp and do some exploring here soon.

I've always 'done the grind' in almost any game though, so it's just in my nature. Plus with how quick a trade run is I can do a lot of other things around the house that come up (a puppy does not like to be ignored for an hour at a time!).

To each his own, people that do it and hate it? Yeah, that I don't get. But I've repeated laps in racing games during hot laps over and over and over trying to improve my time, this is kind of the same thing really. I actually took a T9 out of the station with FA off, that was quite challenging!

Besides the Python (which we've been told isn't a combat ship
and I'm pretty disappointed in the changes and the direction the 'balance' is going
) I'm not a fan of the smaller combat ships so I'm kind of waiting until combat, missions, influence, and all that stuff is more fleshed out and improved before I really dig in with a better ship selection.

I'm in this for the long haul. If I found trading really that annoying I'd do something else most likely, especially if it didn't pay so well! So it's kind of a win/win for me.

Also, regarding the RANK INCREASE, I thought it was just trading goods that did it, but I think the actual act of purchasing the goods contributes to your rank. I went from Broker to Entrepreneur the past couple days doing the Luxury Stuff (which is considered smuggling) so I believe it's the purchasing part, not the selling part.

So if you're going after 'dat rank, it's cutting your progress in 1/2 I believe since I don't 'think' smuggling counts. Tough to say though, anybody have clarification on that? They've been pretty tight lipped on 'what' actually affects each rank, I assume for min/max'ers out there.
As long as you're having fun, that's all that matters! :)

cyrok

So I'm on the fence of purchasing this game. I've read through a lot of reviews and took them all with a grain of salt. I wanted to find out two things

1: How the social aspect of the game is like. As in community chatting through text, a General Chat log or anything in starbases, and also Guild/Clan/Organizations; is there an active GAF team on there? Things like that.

2: How active are the devs with the game and how involved are they with improving the game with features/content/etc?

Hopefully you guys can let me know and that will help me push myself over this fence and buy the game.

HelloMeow

So I'm on the fence of purchasing this game. I've read through a lot of reviews and took them all with a grain of salt. I wanted to find out two things

1: How the social aspect of the game is like. As in community chatting through text, a General Chat log or anything in starbases, and also Guild/Clan/Organizations; is there an active GAF team on there? Things like that.
It's there, but it's limited. You can play with other people, but there is no practical way of teaming up. There also isn't something like a general chat. You have to invite people to a group chat or you can message someone individually.

2: How active are the devs with the game and how involved are they with improving the game with features/content/etc?

Hopefully you guys can let me know and that will help me push myself over this fence and buy the game.

Very active. There are a number of big expansions and smaller updates coming up. One of which will introduce a better way of teaming up with other players.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom