• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elite: Dangerous |OT| Every Man's Sky

Status
Not open for further replies.
The new shaders for gas giants (and other planets? they seem different) + city lights and stuff makes planets just look so much more better.

Taken from the beta forum:

XNBRhSZ.png

attachment.php

Apparently also the federation, alliance (independents) and empire have different distinct patterns you can find in the city lights supposedly.

bj00rn_

Banned
ug8L2U5.jpg

WOW

They did an amazing job for the shaders, the atmosphere and sense of scale is really some of the best i've seen for planets. Imagine in the future landing planets will be like? If they have a rigorous city generation/npc/wildlife/quest etc, you would basically have a planet wide GTA anytime you landed on one of these 0_0

I said damn! That is fantastic! And the animated clouds look shaded and separated from the ground, creating a sense of space beneath.

SJRB

Gold Member
The new shaders for gas giants (and other planets? they seem different) + city lights and stuff makes planets just look so much more better.

XNBRhSZ.png

attachment.php

Apparently also the federation, alliance (independents) and empire have different distinct patterns you can find in the city lights supposedly.

Hoooooly shit

>Chasing expert guy with empire agents flying around helping me
>One of them flies in my fucking crossfire like a dumbass
>833 CR fine and wanted
Okay, that's fine, I'll pay it.

>37k bounty from wanted guy!
YES!

>Have to sneak back into empire station to claim the bounty.
>They scan me before I can turn on silent running and blow me up over a fucking 833 CR bounty

OH COME THE FUCK ON.
The new stuff in the patch to avoid committing crimes when those idiots dive in front of your shots is a step in the right direction, but what they should have added is this:

hqdefault.jpg

Why is every crime a death sentence? Why do I have to abandon what I'm doing so I can sneak into a station to pay a measly bounty? Just let me pay it when I run into the appropriate feds. =/

Atrophis

Damn planets look amazing now. Got to say I was quite disappointed how planets looked when I bought the game, not a patch on their awesome stars, so this is a great improvement.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel

XNBRhSZ.png

attachment.php

Man, that looks great! Can't wait to see this stuff in game!

Can anyone take a pic of where the system screen shows the name of who discovered it?

SparkTR

XNBRhSZ.png

attachment.php

Reminds me of Space Engine, but better since this is an actual game.

Jinroh

I haven't been able to run the game fullscreen for a while, it was forced in borderless window and I didn't know why. It sucks when you have a g-sync capable monitor.

Well, I discovered who the culprit is: The Oculus runtime. I uninstalled it and the game ran fullscreen without any issue.

It's a pain in the ass to uninstall the Oculus runtime each time I want to play the game on my main screen.

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness
Seems like they have fixed the supplies for the Seeking Luxuries trade at these stations, before the supply would stay the same. It's going to be hard finding new ones now.

It's not just that specific commodity - it looks like they fixed the trade simulation in general. Supply/demand values are changing over time now and popular routes dry up quickly.

https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php?t=109138

Lots of people are upset. Seems like an improvement to me, but they do need to improve the in-game tools.

RK9039

It's not just that specific commodity - it looks like they fixed the trade simulation in general. Supply/demand values are changing over time now and popular routes dry up quickly.

Lots of people are upset. Seems like an improvement to me, but they do need to improve the in-game tools.

Yeah I think it is an improvement as well, that entire thing was a glitch although it was very profitable.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel

Yep, that's the main problem with trading in Elite: the in game tools just suck. They aren't even accurate and can tell you very false information. It's the main reason why outside tools like Slopey's and Thrudd's were both so popular and so effective: because they were not only more accurate than the in game trade info but easier to use too.

Now, if the commodity simulation is fixed to be truly dynamic with supply and demand, then tools like Slopey's and Thrudd's will be much less useful as their data will constantly be outdated. BUT, if the in game tools aren't fixed to be accurate then this will all just make trading that much more frustrating, even if it is dynamically frustrating. Good routes will still be out there but they will require searching and effort to find, and they will not last as long as before.

I'm glad I'm fully focused on exploring and not trading at all right now, LOL.

elyetis

The new stuff in the patch to avoid committing crimes when those idiots dive in front of your shots is a step in the right direction, but what they should have added is this:

hqdefault.jpg

Why is every crime a death sentence? Why do I have to abandon what I'm doing so I can sneak into a station to pay a measly bounty? Just let me pay it when I run into the appropriate feds. =/
Definitly.
Also add some threshold between allowing to pay like that, and automatique death sentence, based on your reputation, it would make reputation more interesting/usefull.

Hylian7

I'm about to dust mine off for its second use in ten years for this game lol.

Here is a control diagram which should help you tweak things to your liking.

Nice, I've found the default controls to work pretty well, however I haven't been able to get it to use the button it uses for Engine Boost in that diagram to work on mine. I looked around and supposedly that button is only supposed to be a shift modifier or something. Regardless, I had to map boost to what that diagram shows as the "Deploy Heat Sink" button.

Having a TrackIR too makes the need for all those headlook buttons gone, so I can use them for something else.

Welp, guess I'm done trading. I can't figure out how to trade for shit, and was hoping to get enough for a Viper. Now I'm just gonna stay poor I guess.

Danj

In my current trading route I am making around 50k every 14 minutes.

Is that good, or can I do better? Given that I'm in a Cobra with a cargo capacity of 34T and I have 387502 credits at the moment.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
In my current trading route I am making around 50k every 14 minutes.

Is that good, or can I do better? Given that I'm in a Cobra with a cargo capacity of 34T and I have 387502 credits at the moment.

A solid route should make you 1000 cr/ton each way.

Danj

A solid route should make you 1000 cr/ton each way.

OK, so there's room for improvement (it's only 561/ton outward and 952/ton on the return journey, total round trip time 14 minutes). Any suggestions? I already tried the Best Profit Calculator (that's how I got to this route) but it couldn't come up with anything better.

GeoGonzo

I may have to buy a hauler and spend some time to see if I find some place half as nice as Wreav's: Scouting with the Anaconda is too slow with a fuel scoop and too expensive without one.

Also: Dev Update!

https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php?t=110112

Michael confirms they're still on track for a 1.2 beta on the first week of march and a mac beta by the end of march. He then mentions we will start hearing more about 1.2 and Wings "once the dust settes from the 1.1 release" but he did share some things:
Supplementing the Wings feature we’re also expanding and improving the game such as adding support for assist enabling greater co-operative gameplay. The player comms system will also be undergoing an overhaul to make it more user friendly.

It’s not all about multiplayer though and 1.2 continues our strategy of layering on top of the framework that we have to keep making things better. A simple example of this is adding navigation to the system map, so nav targets can be selected and included in the route planning.

-edit-

Also more comments from within the thread:

-New ships? Expect news in a future newsletter.
-Orrery view of system map still planned, but long way off.
-Microjumps to secondary stars in the same system is being considered.

Shifty76

OK, so there's room for improvement (it's only 561/ton outward and 952/ton on the return journey, total round trip time 14 minutes). Any suggestions? I already tried the Best Profit Calculator (that's how I got to this route) but it couldn't come up with anything better.

At this point you're probably better off running rare goods loops. Those net you far more profit.

This is the one I ran to get started:

http://www.reddit.com/r/EliteTraders/comments/2q3goa/lazy_rare_goods_circuit_by_cmdr_daggoo/

Strip everything except for a fuel scoop and max out your cargo space.

Those rare goods will get you 10-15k profit per ton.

Note that I haven't run rares with the latest patch, but I didn't see any mention of rares being nerfed so I assume they're still profitable.

SJRB

Gold Member
I was planning on buying a HOTAS stick after work today until I came to the realisation that I'll probably lose control over one axis and especially freelook.

How do you [non-trackIR] guys deal with that? HOTAS and still keyboard/mouse or something?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom