• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elite: Dangerous |OT| Every Man's Sky

Status
Not open for further replies.

red731

I was thinking of buying the same stick, can you control everything with the stick/rudder or do you need mouse and keyboard present too?

I need keyboard to just press ESC and am using Android app that simulates mouse and keyboard to write name of systems and such.

Using "Crab's" setup is pretty awesome and as I've said, maping the system/galaxy to your liking is easy as hell.
I am still playing with it but can manipulate the map as of now.

But you know what guys? Fuck one thing - I will change it...very soon.

Imagine perfect positioning to enter station and then imagine pressing boost button like 10 meters from the docking entrance.

rip in peace two sidewinders
I even bought 4 animal meat from different system to finish that damn quest

welp, Dying Light now and every zombie is boost button

Hylian7

I know they need to follow the look of the original but I wish the designers could come up with slightly more interesting designs for some of these ships. The Corvette looks like an Anaconda/Viper/Python!

(not to mention the hauler looking like an Adder and that new design they unveiled a week or two ago, Cobra looks like Sidewinder etc)
Yeah, I definitely always confuse the Cobra and Sidewinder. The only way I can them apart in combat is either by targeting them or being close and seeing the paint job.

Hylian7

I need keyboard to just press ESC and am using Android app that simulates mouse and keyboard to write name of systems and such.

Using "Crab's" setup is pretty awesome and as I've said, maping the system/galaxy to your liking is easy as hell.
I am still playing with it but can manipulate the map as of now.

But you know what guys? Fuck one thing - I will change it...very soon.

Imagine perfect positioning to enter station and then imagine pressing boost button like 10 meters from the docking entrance.

rip in peace two sidewinders
I even bought 4 animal meat from different system to finish that damn quest

welp, Dying Light now and every zombie is boost button
Why would you press boost so close to the entrance?! Or was it an accident?

red731

Why would you press boost so close to the entrance?! Or was it an accident?

First time hotas, and the button is on the throttle on pretty damn easy place to press
KuGsj.gif

Learning through experience I would say and of course, those were accidents - I am not such a sadomasochist
KuGsj.gif

Hylian7

Can someone explain to me the order of the combat ranks, and how exactly they are achieved? I'm guessing the order goes (from lowest to highest): Harmless > Mostly Harmless > Novice > Competent > Expert > Master > Elite

Hylian7

Thanks.

Okay, what is a good tactic for taking on the Elite Anaconda pilot lords that missions sometimes ask you to kill? I feel like I just need better shields. Will learning to fly with Flight Assist off help me at all?

I attempted one and dropped below 40%, with a canopy breach and I had to bail on it. I made it back to the station safely, and sadly I had to abandon the mission.

I feel like you almost have to be equally gunned with these guys to stand a chance, because he could wreck my shields so damn quick, while I have two Beam Lasers, a Rail Gun, and Frag Cannon and could get through his shields after a long while of wailing at it, with just the Lasers and occasional Rail Gun shots. By that time he had taken my shields down three times and got me down to 50%.

owlbeak

Just made my way to Lave from Sol. Holy mother of god, Alliance space might as well be Anarchy. I was interdicted 10+ times on my way from the Nav beacon to the nearest station. Actually got dropped out of SC a few times and pilots just opened fire on me for no reason.

Fuck that place. I immediately jumped out after repairing and am heading as far away as possible!

Shifty76

Thanks.

Okay, what is a good tactic for taking on the Elite Anaconda pilot lords that missions sometimes ask you to kill? I feel like I just need better shields. Will learning to fly with Flight Assist off help me at all?

I attempted one and dropped below 40%, with a canopy breach and I had to bail on it. I made it back to the station safely, and sadly I had to abandon the mission.

I feel like you almost have to be equally gunned with these guys to stand a chance, because he could wreck my shields so damn quick, while I have two Beam Lasers, a Rail Gun, and Frag Cannon and could get through his shields after a long while of wailing at it, with just the Lasers and occasional Rail Gun shots. By that time he had taken my shields down three times and got me down to 50%.

It can be done in a sidewinder, though it'll take you forever. Chaff launcher and shield cell bank are pretty much mandatory, as is staying behind or to the side of him so he can't bring his plasma cannon to bear.

There are tons of vids showing tactics to use on youtube - I'd recommend looking at those. I've only successfully done a couple myself - one left my asp with 2% hull and 5 secs life support remaining, the other I took 10% hull dmg in my clipper. Both encounters cost me more in repairs that I was awarded so I haven't bothered with any since.

Hylian7

It can be done in a sidewinder, though it'll take you forever. Chaff launcher and shield cell bank are pretty much mandatory, as is staying behind or to the side of him so he can't bring his plasma cannon to bear.

There are tons of vids showing tactics to use on youtube - I'd recommend looking at those. I've only successfully done a couple myself - one left my asp with 2% hull and 5 secs life support remaining, the other I took 10% hull dmg in my clipper. Both encounters cost me more in repairs that I was awarded so I haven't bothered with any since.

My Viper usually only costs 5-6k to repair from about 30%...wtf repairs cost more than that? The reward is usually 150k or more from those quests.

Shifty76

My Viper usually only costs 5-6k to repair from about 30%...wtf repairs cost more than that? The reward is usually 150k or more from those quests.

Asp repair cost was ~180k, clipper was around 200k, though I have also had some 1m+ repair costs, like when I got ganked by 2 x pirate pythons and a pirate anaconda that left me at 10% hull. Big ship hull repairs are expensive, which is why I no longer carry an interdictor.

Hylian7

I think I found my ideal weapon setup for my Viper.

2 fixed pulse lasers
2 Gimballed canons

Anything I look at gets rekt really quickly.

owlbeak

2 fixed pulse lasers
2 Gimballed canons

That's what I've been running for a while now. Mostly everything doesn't stand a chance. Also got a really nice A3 Power Distributor so my pulse lasers basically never stop firing. :)

Shifty76

2 fixed pulse lasers
2 Gimballed canons

Switch pulse to beam and cannon to multicannon and that's pretty much the standard setup for most ships.

Cheap, good dmg plus tons of ammo.

Biggest issue I had with cannons other than the long lead time between firing and hitting was the small ammo capacity. Found I spent more time resupplying than fighting. MC has a huge ammo pool, allowing you to stay out there longer, while also dealing very solid dmg.

Danj

Just made my way to Lave from Sol. Holy mother of god, Alliance space might as well be Anarchy. I was interdicted 10+ times on my way from the Nav beacon to the nearest station. Actually got dropped out of SC a few times and pilots just opened fire on me for no reason.

Fuck that place. I immediately jumped out after repairing and am heading as far away as possible!

You know you can play in Solo mode to reduce the amount of interdictions right?

Hylian7

I personally like the MMO-esque ideas of the game, so I always play in Open Play, and assume getting interdicted by players is just part of the game. Although I don't think I've ever been interdicted by a player at all. Every time I've submitted or failed to evade an interdiction, it has always been an AI, and 90% of the time a System Security Vessel scanning me.

I totally understand the want for solo play though, as some people want to play this kind of game without that, the AI generate plenty of activity, and focusing on the flight is nice too. I do wish a offline single player would come back, but I understand why they removed it. The only way I could ever see it being brought back would be to have it be a seperate file from your Solo play/Open play file. It would be completely unfair to abuse your own economy without other players having any kind of affect on it.

Hylian7

Dumb question, where exactly is the non-financial downside to an Anaconda? Looking at stuff about it, it seems like the end-all be-all of ships. The only thing I see is that it can't outspeed a Viper or something, but you'll just blow the little fucker up by then anyway. Is it just the cost and insurance cost that's the only downside to it?

GeoGonzo

Dumb question, where exactly is the non-financial downside to an Anaconda? Looking at stuff about it, it seems like the end-all be-all of ships. The only thing I see is that it can't outspeed a Viper or something, but you'll just blow the little fucker up by then anyway. Is it just the cost and insurance cost that's the only downside to it?
Currently? Mostly (purchase, repair, refuel, insurance) cost, yes. Keep in mind that the only ship is the same cost tier is the Lakon Type-9, but as Mengy said last page the Anaconda is a multipurpose ship. As such, it is likely to get wrecked by upcoming large dedicated combat ships, like the Federation Corvette or the Vulture. Lets not forget that the largest combat dedicated ship in the game is currently the cute tiny Viper (And this is also why the Python is getting nerfed, it was behaving like a combat ship when it is also supposed to be multipurpose).

owlbeak

What's the fun in that? Half the fun is the player interaction. I wasn't angry about the interdictions, I just didn't want to deal with them, so I left the system. :)

DrBo42

From what I've read the corvette is about the same size as the Anaconda, but more geared towards pure combat. Think the Vyper to the Cobra for comparison (Anaconda being the multi purpose while Corvette is the pure fighter).?

Disappointing but understandable. Not like they would make a bigger docking port for just one ship...but damn if I didn't lust over the thought of flying a mini star destroyer.

Hylian7

Police will only interdict you if you are wanted or unfriendly to their faction.

Probably the latter. Usually in a fight where the police are involved on a bounty hunt, one of the dumbasses flies in front of my laser, giving me a nice assault charge, I pay the bounty, but I'm still considered unfriendly.

Hylian7

Currently? Mostly (purchase, repair, refuel, insurance) cost, yes. Keep in mind that the only ship is the same cost tier is the Lakon Type-9, but as Mengy said last page the Anaconda is a multipurpose ship. As such, it is likely to get wrecked by upcoming large dedicated combat ships, like the Federation Corvette or the Vulture. Lets not forget that the largest combat dedicated ship in the game is currently the cute tiny Viper (And this is also why the Python is getting nerfed, it was behaving like a combat ship when it is also supposed to be multipurpose).[/QUOT
Hmm, in this case then, my general goal now is to either save for the Anaconda, Corvette, or Vulture, depending on how far out the release of the latter two are. With my current Viper, I can take on damn near anything, although I haven't found an enemy Anaconda to take on since my latest weapon outfitting, so that remains to be seen. My current setup is two Beam Lasers and two Gimballed cannons, with shield cells. Should I upgrade to an Anaconda when I can eventually afford it?

I'm a bounty hunter FYI, so combat is what I want.

Putosaure

Seriously, wtf are those bots/players who just intercept me to blow up my ship ?
I'm in a fuckin Sidewinder with no cargo, so why ? It's not even fun as I have the default ship so not really tough in combat.

Leave me alone thx :(

Hylian7

Seriously, wtf are those bots/players who just intercept me to blow up my ship ?
I'm in a fuckin Sidewinder with no cargo, so why ? It's not even fun as I have the default ship so not really tough in combat.

Leave me alone thx :(
Are you hanging out on anarchy systems? Usually if an AI successfully interdicts me, they are usually a skip with low rank and something I can easily take on. I don't think I've ever been interdicted by an anaconda or something.

Danj

I see Federal Navy progression missions are still bugged. Finally kicked the ass of that Federal dropship mission (gimballed pulse lasers and multicannons, plus a shield cell bank), got my Beta Hydri permit but now I'm at Beta Hydri and the permit mission is still there but unobtainable, just like what happened with Sol. I've opened a ticket about it.

Also opened another ticket about how the ticket website can't accept the 11.9MB BMP screenshots the game produces >.>

GeoGonzo

I see Federal Navy progression missions are still bugged. Finally kicked the ass of that Federal dropship mission (gimballed pulse lasers and multicannons, plus a shield cell bank), got my Beta Hydri permit but now I'm at Beta Hydri and the permit mission is still there but unobtainable, just like what happened with Sol. I've opened a ticket about it.

Also opened another ticket about how the ticket website can't accept the 11.9MB BMP screenshots the game produces >.>

Well, you know what's weird? It isn't exactly bugged. Yes, I agree that having no followup after getting a permit is weird, but it happens to everyone... it's just a way for the game to let you know that you now have access to that place, but there isn't any actual mission waiting for you there. Also, seeing the mission again, as unavailable? Don't worry about it one bit... you'll stop seeing it as soon as you qualify for the next progression mission, which will show up normally after doing some more random missions. You can just keep playing.

-edit-

Hmm, in this case then, my general goal now is to either save for the Anaconda, Corvette, or Vulture, depending on how far out the release of the latter two are. With my current Viper, I can take on damn near anything, although I haven't found an enemy Anaconda to take on since my latest weapon outfitting, so that remains to be seen. My current setup is two Beam Lasers and two Gimballed cannons, with shield cells. Should I upgrade to an Anaconda when I can eventually afford it?

I'm a bounty hunter FYI, so combat is what I want.

Hm... you'd want to upgrade to a Python first. And probably an Asp before that. The big questions are if it would make much of a difference to go from Python 1.1 to Anaconda (before 1.1 you wouldn't even consider it) and, more importantly, if you can even afford those ships without trading.

Danj

Well, you know what's weird? It isn't exactly bugged. Yes, I agree that having no followup after getting a permit is weird, but it happens to everyone... it's just a way for the game to let you know that you now have access to that place, but there isn't any actual mission waiting for you there. Also, seeing the mission again, as unavailable? Don't worry about it one bit... you'll stop seeing it as soon as you qualify for the next progression mission, which will show up normally after doing some more random missions. You can just keep playing.

While I concede it isn't a major issue, I disagree that it's not a bug and shouldn't be fixed. Hence the ticket.

GeoGonzo

While I concede it isn't a major issue, I disagree that it's not a bug and shouldn't be fixed. Hence the ticket.

Agreed. Even if its almost certainly a known issue, and even if they've already said that they plan to revamp the mission system... it honestly wouldn't hurt to hide those missions from the "unavailable" section in one of these patches. And your ticket may help with that.

Shifty76

Uploaded a short vid of some bounty hunting in my clipper. Unfortunately the smaller ships either had no shields or their shields had already been disabled, but there is a pretty quick kill on a shielded python in there.

2 x large gimballed burst lasers, 2 x gimballed med pulse lasers. Most other equipment is either A or B class except thrusters which are still D as I haven't been able to locate A/B ones.

http://youtu.be/-tLIfg45P4c

luiztfc

I bought a Saitek X52 Pro and Elite Dangerous. And I am having a hard time flying! Simple stuff life choosing a route are very hard to do. I mean, do I really need to enable free camera and point to the menu? Can't I assign a button for that?

Hylian7

I bought a Saitek X52 Pro and Elite Dangerous. And I am having a hard time flying! Simple stuff life choosing a route are very hard to do. I mean, do I really need to enable free camera and point to the menu? Can't I assign a button for that?

I'm not quite sure how the UI hotkeys work, but if you look through the controls I think there are things you can assign in there.

I was doing some bounty hunting in an extraction point a short while ago and I was getting random hitches when scanning and attacking enemies. Anyone else experience this? I get similar hitches when I approach my first station after starting the game. Is this server related?

Yes you can, there are a lot of UI switching options. However, before I started using TrackIR, I utilized Voice Attack to open up the Galaxy Map and other UI panels. I also had a button on the stick that when held would put you in UI mode so you could assign a hat switch to select the panel you'd like instead of freelooking at the UI. You can assign a button to each panel but that's a lot of buttons used up for things that don't typically need quick access to.

Burny

Check out the control setup. There is a preset for the X52. In that preset the pinky trigger together with the directions of the silver hat on the stick lets you cycle through the menus. You basically "lock" your view to a menu.

GeoGonzo

Uploaded a short vid of some bounty hunting in my clipper. Unfortunately the smaller ships either had no shields or their shields had already been disabled, but there is a pretty quick kill on a shielded python in there.

2 x large gimballed burst lasers, 2 x gimballed med pulse lasers. Most other equipment is either A or B class except thrusters which are still D as I haven't been able to locate A/B ones.

http://youtu.be/-tLIfg45P4c

Neat video! Be prepared to change your weapons before patch 1.1, though... you probably won't be able to keep four lasers without burning your ship, and those repairs aren't cheap.

As Hylian7 said, check the keybinds menu, you can there set a key for the galaxy map, for example.

In any case, there is also a much better way of activating the side menus, there's a key which I believe is called "Panel Focus" which you are supposed to hold while you press another key to directly go to either the left menu, right menu, a closeup of the radar and... focusing on the chat menu, I think?

You'd only want to manually look at a menu to activate it if you are using Track IR or Oculus Rift.

Jedi2016

Be prepared to change your weapons before patch 1.1, though... you probably won't be able to keep four lasers without burning your ship, and those repairs aren't cheap.
Okay, what exactly is this change that people are talking about? Was there some post from Frontier about it? Because the patch notes just says they're balancing heat on certain weapons, but it doesn't say anything about nerfs or weapons becoming suddenly unusable.

Bearing in mind that you can make adjustments to other areas of the ship (power and distribution) that significantly reduces heat load. The default Type-6 overheats practically the moment you turn it on, but with only middling upgrades, I have to practically fly into a star to get it over 100%.

Shifty76

Neat video! Be prepared to change your weapons before patch 1.1, though... you probably won't be able to keep four lasers without burning your ship, and those repairs aren't cheap.

Yeah I'd normally run MC's over the pulse lasers but I'd just switched out mining lasers and the station I stopped at didn't have MC's.

Hylian7

got my new edtracker properly calibrated today. HNNNNGH

How is EDTracker compared to TrackIR out of curiousity? I guess what I'm really asking is: What exactly makes EDTracker able to only cost $50 while TrackIR is three times that much (although TrackIR was worth it for me).

Burny

How is EDTracker compared to TrackIR out of curiousity? I guess what I'm really asking is: What exactly makes EDTracker able to only cost $50 while TrackIR is three times that much (although TrackIR was worth it for me).

Can't give you a first hand comparison, as I've only used TrackIR. EDTracker is so much cheaper, because it uses cheaply available standard components, which you can assemble yourself, and freely available software. It doesn't use or include a camera.

TrackIR (5) uses custom hardware, among which is a camera sampling at 120fps, custom, proprietary software etc..

While both take different ways to achieve largely the same goal, one striking difference is that EDtracker supports 3 axis, while TrackIR supports 6 axis.

GeoGonzo

While both take different ways to achieve largely the same goal, one striking difference is that EDtracker supports 3 axis, while TrackIR supports 6 axis.

I've seen TrackIR do lateral movements in other games like flight simulator, but never in Elite. Is it not currently supported, or have I simply failed to notice it?

Burny

I've seen TrackIR do lateral movements in other games like flight simulator, but never in Elite. Is it not currently supported, or have I simply failed to notice it?

No idea how they're doing that. Do you have a video link? I'm just going of the description from EDTrackers website:

"Welcome to the home of EDTracker, an open source project to provide cheap and simple 3-axis head tracking for PC gaming."

A TrackIR set has been costing 200€ for years if I remeber correctly. They seem to be the quasi monopol for commerially available non-selfmade headtracking for gamers. Maybe some competition would liven up the market a bit. Or maybe the market is deemed so small that nobody bothers. Especially with VR devices on the horizon...

Putosaure

Are you hanging out on anarchy systems? Usually if an AI successfully interdicts me, they are usually a skip with low rank and something I can easily take on. I don't think I've ever been interdicted by an anaconda or something.
Well I do suck then.
But I was in Open Play so I don't know if it was an AI or a real player, can't remember the ship.

Danj

I got interdicted by an NPC Asp today. With my new loadout I successfully kicked its arse, though there wasn't much of a bounty on it.

Also discovered that if you kill someone in an Anarchy system there's no bounty at all! Presumably because there's no government to pay it?

DrBo42

I got interdicted by an NPC Asp today. With my new loadout I successfully kicked its arse, though there wasn't much of a bounty on it.

Also discovered that if you kill someone in an Anarchy system there's no bounty at all! Presumably because there's no government to pay it?

Correct. You can still (and should) run a kill warrant scanner on ships in Anarchy space as they might be wanted in government space.

Reese-015

Man... I must have played a total of like 6 hours now and I just barely achieve anything at all... I just keep sorta dicking around with it. Don't think I've even completed one mission. Sold some stuff though.

But I absolutely love it. Probably the most immersive sci-fi game of any sort that I've ever played.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom