• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elite: Dangerous |OT| Every Man's Sky

Status
Not open for further replies.

Danj

At this point you're probably better off running rare goods loops. Those net you far more profit.

This is the one I ran to get started:

http://www.reddit.com/r/EliteTraders/comments/2q3goa/lazy_rare_goods_circuit_by_cmdr_daggoo/

Strip everything except for a fuel scoop and max out your cargo space.

Those rare goods will get you 10-15k profit per ton.

Note that I haven't run rares with the latest patch, but I didn't see any mention of rares being nerfed so I assume they're still profitable.

That guide says recommended 70 tons of cargo space, so I'd need to get, say, a Type 6 (and then upgrade the FSD to hell and back, to get that jump range they want). So I'm still gonna need like 3 million credits before I could even start that. I'm just under a half million now so it's gonna be a while.

owlbeak

I was planning on buying a HOTAS stick after work today until I came to the realisation that I'll probably lose control over one axis and especially freelook.

How do you [non-trackIR] guys deal with that? HOTAS and still keyboard/mouse or something?
I don't currently have a trackIR (but I'll be getting one soon). The FreeTrackNoIR program works very well for being free. I use it to look around since I got a HOTAS. That said, I still use my keyboard for certain functions. It's not bad, though.

Phionoxx

New player here but when you switch between open play and solo play (offline with just AI) do you keep everything between game types? IE. ships, credits, etc.

Danj

New player here but when you switch between open play and solo play (offline with just AI) do you keep everything between game types? IE. ships, credits, etc.

Literally the only difference is that you will not encounter other human players. NPCs can (and will) still interdict you, but at least you'll be safe from griefing.

Shifty76

That guide says recommended 70 tons of cargo space, so I'd need to get, say, a Type 6 (and then upgrade the FSD to hell and back, to get that jump range they want). So I'm still gonna need like 3 million credits before I could even start that. I'm just under a half million now so it's gonna be a while.
As I mentioned, strip EVERYTHING except for a fuel scoop and use those slots for cargo.

That gets you 56T cargo space and 21-26 ly jump range with 4A FSD and D class everything else. Now a 4A FSD isn't cheap, but you could stick with a 4D for now. Total cost for that setup is ~580k, but you already have the ship so it's really only ~350k for the components.

I did two runs with that setup in my cobra and earned enough to buy an upgraded T6 fully specced for max cargo and jump distance.

It's your game, so completely up to you. Just sharing what worked for me, and numerous others.

Wreav

Banned
Why exactly is taking goods remaining from a ship that was wanted considered a crime?

Because his crime has no bearing on the goods. Consider that he bought the goods cleanly, and trespassed in a station. Now he's wanted, but that doesn't make his goods free play.

GeoGonzo

What else are you supposed to do with them? I don't get it.
Either sell it in a black market at an outpost where there is no security or simply smuggle them into a guarded station by docking either too quietly or too fast to be scanned.

Do it once for thrills, twice for laughs and then never again because that shit isn't worth anyone's time.

Shifty76

Do it once for thrills, twice for laughs and then never again because that shit isn't worth anyone's time.

Succinctly stated :)

I do intend to load my combat clipper with 176 tonnes worth of "acquired" imperial slaves though, just once. I don't care how many weeks worth of bounty hunting / piracy it takes.

Once you receive it you wont want to play without it ever again.

No you aren't, TrackIR is amazing in Elite. I can't play the game without it now, nor Euro Truck Sim 2. Nor Flight Sim X.

TrackIR is great!

TrackIR is awesome, I got mine for Arma originally, but it's a godsend for Elite Dangerous.

Oh, I have heard nothing but good things about TrackIR but I have now been inspired to pay around $350 for additional hardware for this game. Hopefully between now and Star Citizen there are a few other space sims to get some use out of it all.

Hylian7

Oh, I have heard nothing but good things about TrackIR but I have now been inspired to pay around $350 for additional hardware for this game. Hopefully between now and Star Citizen there are a few other space sims to get some use out of it all.

It isn't just space sims that use TrackIR, flight sims, and lots of other things can use it. One in particular is Arma games, which is basically a military sandbox game, focused on being fairly realistic, but still retaining fun. Arma games have always had an option to control your head seperately from your body, so you can use TrackIR for this and it is quite useful.

If you didn't already get it with your TrackIR, get the Track Clip Pro, unless you really want to wear a baseball cap the whole time.

Jedi2016

If you didn't already get it with your TrackIR, get the Track Clip Pro, unless you really want to wear a baseball cap the whole time.
Yeah, that was the way I went. I wear headphones anyway, made sense to just clip onto something I was already wearing. I don't even notice it.

Juice

Noooooo the game won't launch

I open the launcher, login, click play and then nothing happens!!! :(

Worked last night :(

Hylian7

Is it viable to have four Beam Lasers on a Viper? I'm having a lot of success against harder AI with just one and some other stuff, but I'm considering just getting four. I have the power plant to supplement it for sure.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Is it viable to have four Beam Lasers on a Viper? I'm having a lot of success against harder AI with just one and some other stuff, but I'm considering just getting four. I have the power plant to supplement it for sure.

With the changes to heat in 1.1, not likely.

red731

8c4c28399b2b4d5cabd96e0815e7341be8c84cc6.gif

Spongebob = T-Flight HOTAS X

Today

Hylian7

8c4c28399b2b4d5cabd96e0815e7341be8c84cc6.gif

Spongebob = T-Flight HOTAS X

Today

Awesome, I've heard that's a good one, especially given the price. I opted for the more expensive X-52, but that's just my tastes.

I really recommend everyone should get a HOTAS for this game. You really don't know what you're missing without it. Ideally a TrackIR would be great too.

Granted, these things get pricey, but honestly with the amount of games I play other than Elite with it, it makes it absolutely worth it.

I know there was a HOTAS thread out there once, but I kind of want to make a "Simulation peripheral" thread, that's more general for things like HOTASes, TrackIR, rudder pedals, and things of that nature.

Putosaure

I really wish Oculus was already out and fully fonctionnal. I can't wait.

Track IR isn't worth it for me, I don't want to turn my head but look at my screen sideways everytime i want to look at some shit.

Raytow

Track IR isn't worth it for me, I don't want to turn my head but look at my screen sideways everytime i want to look at some shit.

Yeah wish we had a release date for cv, buying trackir just to be an expensive doorstop a few months later would be a total kick in the nuts.

Hylian7

Actually TrackIR uses translated movements, and you can adjust it, meaning turning your head 10 degrees right might get you 90 in game, depending on how you set your TrackIR profile.

Faith

Actually TrackIR uses translated movements, and you can adjust it, meaning turning your head 10 degrees right might get you 90 in game, depending on how you set your TrackIR profile.
And how is that not weird? I couldn't imagine playing like that.

You get accustomed to it pretty quickly-TrackIR isn't VR, so you still have a centered frame of reference to work from. Your head movements become just another means to control the game. It's really not very different than using a dial on a HOTAS to adjust trim once you get used to it.

You get accustomed to it pretty quickly-TrackIR isn't VR, so you still have a centered frame of reference to work from. Your head movements become just another means to control the game. It's really not very different than using a dial on a HOTAS to adjust trim once you get used to it.

That's how it has always been described to me. A simple intuitive method to control the camera that frees up your hands. I've seen it in action and everyone who has used it only had good things to say with how effective it is.

Burny

You are hardly moving your head and certainly not looking at your screen "sideways" with TrackIR. While probably not nearly as immersive or impressive, in some respects headtracking might have advantages over a VR device: You can still see what's around you. Helpful when you've got controls mapped to the keyboard/want to use text chat or have "environmental factors" you should keep in mind (wife/girlfriend?).

Finally got EDTracker working. Yeah, it's fucking awesome. I still need to make some sensitivity adjustments and it seems to need syncing too often, so hopefully I can re-calibrate and be good.

I wish the magnetometer version were released when I was ordering :-| Totally would have bought that version.

bj00rn_

Banned

As an Elite player with both an Oculus Rift DK2 and a TrackIR I can confirm that Track IR feel pretty natural and solid in use. It's not as 1:1 as the DK2 of course, but it's good and no need for excessive head turns..

red731

Oh my god. After one hour of learning how to fly with Hotas, I must say I am pretty darn impressed.
That is so cool!

I am using Crab's T. Flight Hotas X binds (used 360binds of his previously), changed smaller things and added system/galaxy map buttons and am pretty happy with what I've bought.

Now to eat, fly, run and fly some more!

metalhead79

Neo Member

Yeah, headtracking feels pretty natural after a few minutes. I can't imagine playing without my PS Eye camera/facetracknoir combo anymore.

I'd probably be blown away with a TrackIR setup.

SJRB

Gold Member
Oh my god. After one hour of learning how to fly with Hotas, I must say I am pretty darn impressed.
That is so cool!

I am using Crab's T. Flight Hotas X binds (used 360binds of his previously), changed smaller things and added system/galaxy map buttons and am pretty happy with what I've bought.

Now to eat, fly, run and fly some more!

I was thinking of buying the same stick, can you control everything with the stick/rudder or do you need mouse and keyboard present too?

Hylian7

I was thinking of buying the same stick, can you control everything with the stick/rudder or do you need mouse and keyboard present too?
I can control everything with my X-52 and TrackIR, so that should be more than enough. Literally the only thing I ever reach for the keyboard for is pressing escape to quit the game.

Something else I eventually want to get for my setup is a set of MFG Crosswind rudder pedals. I've actually seen other uses for them than just flying too, such as incremental leaning on Arma.

Oh la la. Cool stuff!

Jaques is a barman, a property owner and a cyborg. Back in the year 3200, Jaques had been running the same bar in the same starport for an inhumanly long period of time. His tale was recounted in the “Stories of Life on the Frontier” booklet included with 1993’s Frontier: Elite II, wherein we learn Jaques owns half the starport and plans on taking it on a voyage across the galaxy just as soon as he buys the rest.

JaquesStation.jpg

Jaques Station is a custom mobile Orbis starport you’ll find in Elite: Dangerous 1.1. Modified to support drives, Jaques Station will jump to a new system from time to time as Jaques sets off on his course away from human space. His roaming starport will make a useful base for explorers, but if you're docked when he jumps you'll be taken with him.

Jaques Station will also sell a special and rare trade good, so check the markets if you can catch him. GalNet will be updated with news of the starport’s route next week, and will continue to keep track of his movements as Jaques journeys across the galaxy.

Newsletter Peek Of The Week

corvette_newsletter.jpg

The largest player-piloted Federal ship in Elite: Dangerous: the Core Dynamics Corvetteip

Ronnie

Banned
I know they need to follow the look of the original but I wish the designers could come up with slightly more interesting designs for some of these ships. The Corvette looks like an Anaconda/Viper/Python!

(not to mention the hauler looking like an Adder and that new design they unveiled a week or two ago, Cobra looks like Sidewinder etc)

GeoGonzo

I know they need to follow the look of the original but I wish the designers could come up with slightly more interesting designs for some of these ships. The Corvette looks like an Anaconda/Viper/Python!

(not to mention the hauler looking like an Adder and that new design they unveiled a week or two ago, Cobra looks like Sidewinder etc)

Huh, I don't get that at all. You are aware that you pretty much grouped ships by manufacturer, are you? Also, fans have already complained about how neither the Adder nor the FdL look enough like they did in the classic games... you simply can't please everyone.

I'd say the Corvette looks nice, with a shape a bit like an upside down Anaconda but with the armoured look of the Core Dynamics federation ships.
Can't wait to blow it up.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
I wonder what the size difference is between the Anaconda and the Corvette.

From what I've read the corvette is about the same size as the Anaconda, but more geared towards pure combat. Think the Vyper to the Cobra for comparison (Anaconda being the multi purpose while Corvette is the pure fighter).

Wait, what? New design? Was it in a newsletter?

GeoGonzo

From what I've read the corvette is about the same size as the Anaconda, but more geared towards pure combat. Think the Vyper to the Cobra for comparison (Anaconda being the multi purpose while Corvette is the pure fighter).

Would make sense, since it would be really hard to fit something bigger into stations.

Wait, what? New design? Was it in a newsletter?
I'm guessing the Fer de Lance, from Newsletter 57
http://elite-dangerous.wikia.com/wiki/Fer_de_Lance?useskin=oasis

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom