• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elite: Dangerous |OT| Every Man's Sky

Status
Not open for further replies.

legacyzero

Banned
OK GAF, I finally picked this up.

Just finished training and I'm loving it so far. I dove into the main game, finally, but fuuuuuck am I a noob or what LOL

Danj

Just finished training and I'm loving it so far. I dove into the main game, finally, but fuuuuuck am I a noob or what LOL

Gimballed weapons if you want to do bounty missions, or trading rares if you want to do trading. And I found it helps to own a joystick, though others have reported success with gamepads or mouse and keyboard.

Juice

What's the best market tool for analyzing markets for haulers? I find all these dead links to things by a guy named Slopey but they're all dead. Halp?

calder

I upgraded my pc and want to jump in, but should I bother playing with a controller or just wait a week or so and order a Thrustmaster T-Flight Hotas X first?

mitchman

Gold Member
I ran into an interesting bug last night where my Anaconda just blew up for no particular reason. And before you ask, I was not in Open Play.

Finishing my trade run, entered the station without scratching the sides or anything, lined up for the pad and BAM I explode. 10M or so down the drain.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cXpEClo_79w

If you're new to ED, this is the kind of bugs to need to get used to and forget about being reimbursed as that is very rare.

GeoGonzo

I ran into an interesting bug last night where my Anaconda just blew up for no particular reason. And before you ask, I was not in Open Play.

Finishing my trade run, entered the station without scratching the sides or anything, lined up for the pad and BAM I explode. 10M or so down the drain.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cXpEClo_79w

If you're new to ED, this is the kind of bugs to need to get used to and forget about being reimbursed as that is very rare.

Huh, that's super weird. As someone in that thread says: it looks like the game simply triggered selfdestruct because you certainly weren't taking any damage. I hope you manage to get reimbursed since you captured the whole thing. :-/

Duke Togo

How is EDTracker compared to TrackIR out of curiousity? I guess what I'm really asking is: What exactly makes EDTracker able to only cost $50 while TrackIR is three times that much (although TrackIR was worth it for me).
Can't speak for trackir, as I've never used one. I got edtracker primarily to be able to look at the side menus and track targets above me in dogfights...it does both of these things very well. It does take some tinkering to get it calibrated properly, but there are good video guides on YouTube. I'm pleased with it for the money, but you're talking to a guy who doesn't spend top dollar on peripherals.

Burny

I upgraded my pc and want to jump in, but should I bother playing with a controller or just wait a week or so and order a Thrustmaster T-Flight Hotas X first?

If you've go the time? Jump in now and play with mouse or controller. There are enough mechanics to learn that aren't dependent on a joystick.

If it suits you, you can upgrade to the joystick. If not... Depends on whether you'd be using the Joystick for anything else. ;-)

legacyzero

Banned
So I have these credits that I've supposedly stacked up for destroying ships that had bounties on them.

Where can I go to redeem them? I think I've tried all the stations in this system and an option doesn't show up in the port to do so :/

k1nb.png

owlbeak

So I have these credits that I've supposedly stacked up for destroying ships that had bounties on them.

Where can I go to redeem them? I think I've tried all the stations in this system and an option doesn't show up in the port to do so :/

k1nb.png
You'll need to go to station or outpost controlled by that faction, Independent Eravate Free, and then select Contacts->Local Security Office.

mitchman

Gold Member
Huh, that's super weird. As someone in that thread says: it looks like the game simply triggered selfdestruct because you certainly weren't taking any damage. I hope you manage to get reimbursed since you captured the whole thing. :-/

Yeah, but there is no voice for that in the video so that's not it.

Completely off topic but I figured there might be some people here who would know.

Anyone have advice for getting a Warthog to work properly in Freespace 2? Combined the throttle and joystick via target to create a virtual controller to get around the one controller limit but as for bindings I have no idea.

Danj

What's the best market tool for analyzing markets for haulers? I find all these dead links to things by a guy named Slopey but they're all dead. Halp?

Here's the current Slopeys BPC tool thread on the Frontier forum. It's a Windows program you install and leave running while you're playing Elite (it can keep a log of what systems you fly to, which is useful). It also has search functions so you can search for journeys that will bring you a good profit. However all the data is supplied by players so it is not always accurate, but I've usually found it to be pretty good.

bj00rn_

Banned
Here's the current Slopeys BPC tool thread on the Frontier forum. It's a Windows program you install and leave running while you're playing Elite (it can keep a log of what systems you fly to, which is useful). It also has search functions so you can search for journeys that will bring you a good profit. However all the data is supplied by players so it is not always accurate, but I've usually found it to be pretty good.

I appreciate that it's out there and in its basic form it works. I used it for a while recently. But it slow, and it uses quite a bit of CPU resources at times. Also the default nagging voice, the nagging popups and error messages..so I started using a web based trading tool instead.

Reese-015

Wondering about a bit of the lore/science of it... When traveling in supercruise, which is superluminal, are the planets and stars you see around you supposed to be a CG representation generated on your cockpit view? Cause you shouldn't be able to see much while traveling faster than light, from what I understand.

I appreciate that it's out there and in its basic form it works. I used it for a while recently. But it slow, and it uses quite a bit of CPU resources at times. Also the default nagging voice, the nagging popups and error messages..so I started using a web based trading tool instead.

Which one out of curiosity? Most of the trading tools I've seen only trade info on a few systems (none near where I am). I've mainly stuck with bounty hunting, but I feel like I'm missing out on some profits when I'm running between systems with an empty cargo hold.

kvk1

I want to take my Viper (which I shamelessly bought the American flag livery for) to that February 12th thing at Abraham Lincoln.

But:

A) It's such a dorky thing to do. :p

B) I feel like some serious ish is going to happen with people trying to crash it.

Anyone else "attending" the festivities?

GeoGonzo

Wondering about a bit of the lore/science of it... When traveling in supercruise, which is superluminal, are the planets and stars you see around you supposed to be a CG representation generated on your cockpit view? Cause you shouldn't be able to see much while traveling faster than light, from what I understand.
I'm not certain about this but I think you are right: From full stop up to lightspeed and always looking ahead we should see things blueshifting and our field of view should increase. Then at lightspeed you shouldn't be able to see anything.

I'm not sure if these things would happen with a frameshift drive, though: i think they're supposed to to be bending space around us, effetively multiplying the speed of the ship, but the ship never actually moves faster than light.

Whats really messed up is to consider that we are time travelling in a way: if we aproach the pillars of creation, for example, we should see its destruction as we get closer... and its reconstruction as we move away. This would probably be ridiculously hard to implement in game.

Reese-015

I'm not certain about this but I think you are right: From full stop up to lightspeed and always looking ahead we should see things blueshifting and our field of view should increase. Then at lightspeed you shouldn't be able to see anything.

I'm not sure if these things would happen with a frameshift drive, though: i think they're supposed to to be bending space around us, effetively multiplying the speed of the ship, but the ship never actually moves faster than light.

Whats really messed up is to consider that we are time travelling in a way: if we aproach the pillars of creation, for example, we should see its destruction as we get closer... and its reconstruction as we move away. This would probably be ridiculously hard to implement in game.

There probably is no 100% airtight explanation possible but goddamn I'd love to see some sorta lore to back it up a bit!

owlbeak

I want to take my Viper (which I shamelessly bought the American flag livery for) to that February 12th thing at Abraham Lincoln.

But:

B) I feel like some serious ish is going to happen with people trying to crash it.

What event are you referring to?

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel

But:

What are you talking about?

AFAIK its a player event to celebrate Lincoln's birthday at the station named after him in the Sol system.

Ah, okay. I don't have a Sol permit yet, LOL.

Dezeer

After playing 13 hours of beta I am trying this game out again. Should I do something other than trading to gather money? What is considered good profit per ton?

Sounds like a firefight is gonna break out at 1800.

Seriously though, it would be kinda cool if a group was organizing an attack on this event and all warped in at 1800.

Kiyoshi

It's worth putting in a ticket with a link to the video. It shows the bug clearly and also the cost of the buy back; so they may reimburse.

It's actually a known bug, and they've added extra telemetry logging in the last update to try and pinpoint the cause. Last thing I saw said they think the extra telemetry has helped them track the issue now, but that they're still looking into it.

Mengy

Welcome to the galaxy, CMDR Legacy!

Everyone starts out as harmless, literally. Best advice is to stay in the Sidewinder for a bit until you get the hang of flying around, docking, dying, flying into stuff by accident, hitting asteroids, etc. Once you feel like a dangerous little badass in that Sidey, then start looking at buying a larger ship.

Finally got my first Asp tonight. And setup my new EDTracker...which is really cool. Very impressed with it. Makes combat way more intuitive and it feels so natural. Very pleased!

Jedi2016

This morning, a guy at work said "So I've been playing this 'Elite: Dangerous'". I said "Welcome, brother!" and we chatted for like half an hour.. lol.

Hylian7

Rank up to Midshipman in the Federation by doing the Federation Navy bulletin board missions when they appear.
I'll have to get on that then and hopefully in get there by Monday. It's pretty much guaranteed players will attack each other at this event, and that means bounties.

StonedRider

Hi GAF!

I dreamed about this game since 1988 when I played first Elite on my ZX Spectrum! Everything here is great - visuals, sounds, feeling of huge distances between lonely space objects.

After reading this thread I decided to buy X55 for it. I've got it last week and it's awesome. I actually feel myself controlling massive spaceships now, playing with good HOTAS is so much more immersive than with Dualshock 4.
Next step is Oculus Rift, but I'll wait for consumer version.

See you in space, guys! (mostly play Solo mode now, trying to grind trade routes)

/cmdr StonedRider

Just a heads up by the way, the latest version of this still had some rather nasty bugs in the last Beta which still haven't been corrected and FD haven't clarified whether they're fixed or not for the release.

DO NOT fly anything you can't afford to (insurance/cargo) for certain in the new build until checking out the patch notes. The Beta had some really nasty collision detection issues which if not resolved can easily cause random deaths and even allow players to troll each other by practically staring them to death.

Of course I'd hope these things are sorted first, but FD haven't made any statement to clarify as of yet.

That is rule #1 of E:D. Can't believe the number of people who don't follow it.

I know but I think every now and then most people tend to take the risk. I have to admit I was flying a Type 6 without insurance money for a while because of how much faster I could earn it vs bounty hunting. There was a few nasty bugs in the last beta test though so just a heads up to keep an eye out. Particularly with collisions. If you see another player very closely on your tail he's probably about to try a cheap trick if it hasn't been resolved. I'd say beware the lasers but it seems everyone's already covered that.

So what time is 1.1 coming, do we know? I'm assuming it's down for maintenance at the moment or something?

In about an hour. Should be 3:30 GMT.

Crackbone

I've been playing this on and off since launch but I haven't really interacted much with anyone from GAF.

Sitting on a Viper fully kitted for bounty hunting and a type 6 with 100T of cargo

3 M credits banked. Not sure what I should do next and was wondering what you guys are up to in game. Just running trade routes for creds or?

1.1 Change List

Hi everyone,

update 1.1 is incoming at 3pm GMT today. The servers will be down for up to 30 minutes when the update begins. Here is the change log from the last beta build. If you want to see the full list of changes since 1.07 check the links at the bottom of this post.

Note that the test servers will be shut down so you cannot access the beta build until we start the 1.2 beta. I'll also close the beta forums until then.

Client Changes:

- Don't crash if hyperspacing and the ship no longer exists
- Don't clear bounties from the player until resurrect; this means other clients know correct bounty amounts when the player's ship explodes
- Reduce heat overspill from weapons
- Tweaks to Python: it now has a higher max speed and improved boost speeds (to catch those pesky haulers). Also a minor improvement to it's pitch to keep it well above the Anaconda
- Fixed: Controller 'Back' failed on Outfitting Sort Dropdown
- Community initiatives: support an optional top rank of N players instead of 1
- Fix rank icons on community challenges
- Nicer string in community initiative dialog when no rewards available yet
- Fix UI weirdness with community initiatives on bulletin board
- Fed Dropship cockpit geometry was offset in the model file, cockpit has now been placed back in the centre
- Raised health of broadside guns for Fed Capital
- Optimisations to landing pad which should help with distortions inside stations
- Change supersampling options to store multiplier rather than mode
- Change graphics option screen to offer x0.75, x1.5 and x3.0 as well as the existing options
- Fix for menu music being too quiet
- Localisation text update

Changes during the beta phase can be found here:

Beta 1 - https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php?t=108887
Beta 2 - https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php?t=109985
Beta 3 - https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php?t=110561

Download size: 2.5 GB

Thanks!

Michael

Mengy

Download size: 2.5 GB

Holy Shit!

Welp, I'll download it tonight and play it tomorrow night. My slow ass ISP will take all night just to get that patch!

Guess I'll play Starbound while it's patching up.....

Danj

I think they must've had to do a hotfix or something because although I patched earlier, there's another patch waiting to download.

EDIT: I am loooooooving the new route planner. 111LY route planned in seconds!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom