• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elite: Dangerous |OT| Every Man's Sky

Status
Not open for further replies.
Trading sounds like a great time for podcast :p

Tangentially related to audio: I REALLY like the in-game radio filter and would like to use it but is there any way to enable PTT?

Ronnie

Banned
If people are going to rush through the game and spend their time trading to make millions easily it's no wonder some are already bored.

Why do boring grindy stuff like trading so early on just to get a big expensive ship and lose all value for money? Bounty hunting, mining, exploration becomes pointless if you're already earning millions.

I'm not bothering with trading at all, it doesn't interest me in the slightest, and I think the longevity of the game will be all the better for it when finding a 30k bounty on a Wanted ship actually means something.

RK9039

If people are going to rush through the game and spend their time trading to make millions easily it's no wonder some are already bored.

Why do boring grindy stuff like trading so early on just to get a big expensive ship and lose all value for money? Bounty hunting, mining, exploration becomes pointless if you're already earning millions.

I'm not bothering with trading at all, it doesn't interest me in the slightest, and I think the longevity of the game will be all the better for it when finding a 30k bounty on a Wanted ship actually means something.

Mining and exploration is more boring imo.

I do trading for money and bounty hunting when I need a break, it's a good balance for me. There's not much else worth doing if you're playing solo.

Jedi2016

I've got to have over 100 hours logged in this game, I wouldn't call that "rushing" through anything.

30K might seem like a lot, but when a stock Anaconda costs 146M, and you realize you'll need nearly five thousand of those 30K bounties to get one... what's that, maybe being able to afford one by 2020? I'm all for games with longevity, but there is a limit.

Floating Netflix. I que up a good scifi show and time can fly by while the credits roll in.

I usually do other stuff while chilling with most games. This one is great for distractions which I usually have a lot of. If I go bounty hunting and hook up my EDtracker or DK2 I'll que up some good soundtracks like BSG or some Oakenfold.

Very few games I really only focus on them. New media consumer curse lol.

StonedRider

So I did something last night that I hadn't done before in Elite: I turned the music off.
Same here! Turned the music off within the first week of playing the game. The sound of FSD is the music for me now.
I turned off half of the voice messages too, except "landing gear not deployed" and other useful ones.

StonedRider

I really want to do a long exploration trip, can't wait until I can outfit a ship to do it. Random related question, I was checking out components and stuff trying to figure out how I would kit out my hypothetical exploring vessel and I'm not sure what's more efficient - a higher class fuel scoop or FSD? Like if I have only one Class 3 internal compartment available should I use it for the best scoop or best FSD?

Actually, (but I'm talking about Asp now, not Adder) having rating C FSD I would choose better Fuel Scoop instead of upgrading FSD from C to B. Jump distance is not the main concern during exploration, because the more systems you visit and explore - the more money you will get from exploration trip.
With better Fuel Scoop you will really save your time (and sometimes your ship's hull too).

bj00rn_

Banned
I have no idea why some of you guys voluntarily lock yourself into playing the game one way and one way only. The Cobra is one of the most enjoyable ships in the game, and not much grinding needed either. Why the absolute need for "an Anaconda"?

I just noticed that I have Expert-Merchant-Surveyor ranking..Pretty balanced.. I guess that confirms my "I just do whatever I feel like" play style.

So I did something last night that I hadn't done before in Elite: I turned the music off.

I have to admit, even though music-making and playing guitar is my biggest hobby (actually, I used to play for money as well..), music is the first thing I turn off in games.. I've never even heard the music in E:D..

owlbeak

I usually turn music off in games, as well, but I love the music in Elite. Unfortunately, it seems there's not very much of it. Or at least it doesn't play very often.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Because there is no other endgame goal at the moment.

Bah, I don't even want an Anaconda, too expensive to fly and have fun with. If it wasn't for the excellent Lakon cockpit in my Asp (and the beautiful sounds the engines make) I'd have downgraded to a Cobra already simply due to repair costs.

In a game like Elite, "endgame" is what you want it to be. For many people it's getting an Anaconda. For me, it's achieving Elite rank in all three categories. For now I'm working on Explorer rank, and that should keep me busy for a very long time. The Asp is most likely the most expensive ship I'll ever own. Maybe, possibly when I start trading to build up my Merchant ranking I "might" buy a Lakon 7, but I'll probably just make do with my Asp filled with racks.

IMHO you can have just as much fun in Elite with the cheaper ships as you can with the bigger more expensive ships. In fact, I'd even go so far as to say you can have MORE fun in the cheaper ships!

Because there is no other endgame goal at the moment.

What kind of endgame goal do you expect from this game? I honestly don't think it needs one. When I'm playing I'm not trying to work towards something so I can call myself "done" with it. Maybe I haven't been playing enough to feel the need to want to finish the game.

Reese-015

What kind of endgame goal do you expect from this game? I honestly don't think it needs one. When I'm playing I'm not trying to work towards something so I can call myself "done" with it. Maybe I haven't been playing enough to feel the need to want to finish the game.

Same here. It's a tiny bit like Minecraft. The feels more like a simulation sandbox to dick around in.

Wreav

Banned

Everyone's gonna have a different idea of endgame, but for me, it's be a badass notorious pirate that is feared, and can wipe someone out of the sky with a wave of my hand. It's going to take a big ship and good guns to do that, so yeah, an anaconda-type ship is my endgame.

For some people, it's exploring in an ASP, or hunting pirates in a Python, or mining in a T7 if you're AI.

Damn not been following this thread or the updates but they have definitely changed something that I'm not a fan of. I'm currently got a good thing going with finding rebel transmissions and black boxes for around 16,000 a time and yesterday I fired the game up to do one of these missions and I got interdicted about 5 times in one normal run. And before I got interdicted about once every 5 missions!

It's not a need to 'finish' it's a need for 'progress'. To actually see something take place and evolve into something else. Right now there isn't any of that really besides ships that change color if you deliver/kill/retrieve enough and your credit count going up. The only 'change' I've really experience in the game is when I change ships.

This is nothing like Minecraft or other sandbox games where you can sit back and look at your creation.

I get it, I mean, I enjoy racing games! And those are literally just repeating the same course over and over in the same car just improving your time. Probably why I'm almost a Tycoon in Trading haha! But it does wear thin, You can only tweak your ship so much and there are only so many "tracks" to explore. Once you've seen over 500 systems you've seen pretty much all of them sans the snowflake here or there. Only 3 stations to see and even the menu for each station is exactly the same. I just wish there was more variety.

With more ships that will come and that's the main thing that I'm looking forward to in 1.2. I'm just saying that I've played since September, really dived in at launch and I haven't noticed all that much being added content wise, mostly tweaks (I haven't agreed with) and other filler stuff like "Community Goals" which is trading with less profit!

I think the big thing is that I'm not into PVP right now. So without just pewpewpew other ships, there isn't much that "changes" in the game or is even attributed to your actions outside of a progress bar.

Not saying any of this is bad at all! Just voicing my opinion on why I'm not playing as much, not enjoying the 'grind' as much (still enjoying it, just not as much) and why some are leaving the game.

Honestly, with 300,000+ copies sold and only 5000-6000 contributing to the Community Goals, it's a pretty big eye opener that either a lot aren't playing or that idea of "group content" is a joke and people either were too far to bother or just didn't care at all (I think it's a little column A, column B). But much like WoW we'll never really see hard numbers unless they want to share them.

I'd be curious to see:

Active unique logins average per day
Percentage of users that use Open only, Solo only, Private Group only
Percentage of users that use a combination of the 3
Percentage of users that focus on each of the professions (Piracy, Trade, Explorer, Bounty Hunter)

New Wonders of the Galaxy vid.

Unrelated, why are there no rank/rep notifications? I had no idea what my rank was with the Feds unless I specifically check it. I didn't realize I got a Sol permit until I was just checking the galaxy map and realized I could jump there.

Am I missing something?

New Wings Info from the ED Forums:

Hi everyone,

This week’s dev update sees a new minor release with update 1.1.05 including various fixes and tweaks as part of our ongoing support for the game.

Last week’s newsletter included a statement about support and improving our response. This is important to us not just from a customer support perspective but also from the dev team’s point of view. As well as hiring more staff we’ve also been reviewing procedures so there will be some changes coming in how bugs are reported and tracked. There’ll be more information on this once everything is in place, we anticipate this being within the next couple of weeks.

Update 1.2 is one of the major focuses for the team with the headline Wings feature. PC Gamer interviewed Sandy this week and you can read it on their website:

http://www.pcgamer.com/elite-dangero...er-with-wings/

There’s already been a fair amount of discussion on what was revealed in the article. One aspect was the why we selected four pilots as being the wing size. When it came to deciding on a maximum wing size, we decided that four was, in this particular case, the magic number. In addition to the obvious benefits of getting multiple wings into a single session and ensuring that a single wing can always be outnumbered, there was the less sexy, but equally real issue of making sure the feedback for wings integrated well with the HUD.

Interface is always important and with Elite: Dangerous, we’ve ensured the ship’s HUD is kept “in-world”. This improves the player experience, but it also makes it much more challenging to update. With wings, we’ve kept to the tenet of a “clear combat view”, updating the Comms and Info panels to allow us to bring in wing elements without compromising canopy visibility.

One of the new additions with Wings is the ability to lock-on to your wing mates. The lock-on is a new feature specifically for wings. It lets you lock the details of a wingman’s ship into your nav-computer and “soft-slave” your frame shift drive to theirs. Even though we’ve relaxed the limits for using wakes of wingmen (you can be travelling faster and farther away and still drop in/out of super cruise), a wing lock-on automates FSD use – all you need to do is fly close enough. You still need to make sure you’re eligible to make the jump, but it should dramatically help in time critical situations, such as when your wingman is being interdicted.

The lock-on will also hopefully generate some interesting choices, as each member of the wing can only lock-on to a single target. So you might, as a wing, favour a “closed loop” array, where each wingman locks on to a different member, ensuring that eventually all of the wing will be able to use the automatic soft-slave effect, or you might decide to “protect the weak”, where all members lock-on to the same wingman, potentially speeding up process: if the target drops from super cruise, all lock-on member will be able to drop out at the same time, rather than follow each other in sequence.

As well as the multiplayer centric Wings there will be additions that apply to everyone whether you play in multiplayer or in solo. Changes to USSs are being made so you can scan them in advance to gain an impression of the scale of the signal – beware the larger scale USSs as they might be too dangerous, especially if you’re alone!

The Wings update doesn’t just aid players – NPCs get the ability to fly in groups of their own, so while flying in supercruise you can encounter flights of authority ships, pirates or a trader groups.

Burny

It's not that hard to see why people are complaining about the lack of "end game" or absence of things to do. Although many people aren't doing their case or FD and the game (probably intended) a favour by posting long, reproachful and theatrical "Goodbye, I'm leaving" or "This is not a finished product, FD never should've released the game like this" posts in all kinds of forums. Strip away the drama and there's a lot of valid criticism. The opposite side of the argument isn't doing the game any more favours by sometimes responding with condescending "it's Elite and it's been that way since 1984 (I don't want it to be any other way)" posts.

What is there to do once people have gotten the biggest ships and can with relative ease grind as much credits as they want?

From some point onward, there is little in the game that gives people a goal or motivation to look for a goal. What remains is the joy of repeating the game's core mechanics, which might have gotten old for them by then.

• There aren't bigger, flyable ships to buy and try out at some point.
  • Influencing the "world" simulation boils down to moving around bars in a statistic that might or might not (if it's bugged) influence probability of some things happening. Those things are either random encounters or more text boxes.
  • There is little variety introduced by missions. You can only flying things from A to B or kill X of something. That's it. What about finding a hidden pirate/whatever asteroid base, stealthily approaching it, killing some specific ship or collecting some specific cargo and then having to escape?
  • The whole game doesn't show you a single face. Neither that of a CMDR nor that of an NPC. NPCs especially are generic text-boxes without anything but an implied background and character. It's all rather impersonal, except for player interaction, which is at the moment limited by the game's implementation.
  • There are hardly any multi-ship PVP battles (so far), or really good ways for players to create them, which might otherwise motivate people to form effective combat groups. Think something like "capture the flag" multiplayer in asteroid belts, or just plain dogfighting with leader boards. What about races in asteroid belts?
  • There is no elegant trading between players, that doesn't depend on tedious dropping of cargo and selling it at stations. No inter-player ship market, no credit transfers, no creation of personal ingame items. This prevents a player driven market from forming, which might motivate the more trade- and crafting-oriented players otherwise.
  • There is no way to personalize your game beyond getting ships and outfitting them. You can't even buy as much as a room in a statio and make that "your home". You have no "avatar" so to speak, other than the ship you're sitting in. Which is exchangeable and has no non-functional personalization options beyond the skins from the online store.
  • There are, as of yet (?), no alien races or ships to spice things up.

While I find the base framework that ED has layed out is fascinating and will spend some quality time with it in the coming months, there is no denying that the whole thing lacks content on top of the core mechanics. If I had a python and a fat ingame bank account right now, I'd honestly be at a loss at what to do. I might resolve to outfit an exploration ship and fly as far away from inhabited space as possible, or try to hunt down some of the high end pirates... You might pretend to be part of some trading/exploration corporation or bounty hunter agency and role play accordingly. But whatever background you chose to play out, it will be mostly implied by your chat messages and will hardly be reflected by the game's world mechanics and even less by ingame rewards.

That in itself may be great, but it woul be even greater, if they extended the game. We'll see if that's going to be the case.

DrBo42

It's not that hard to see why people are complaining about the lack of "end game" or absence of things to do. Although many people aren't doing their case or FD and the game (probably intended) a favour by posting long, reproachful and theatrical "Goodbye, I'm leaving" or "This is not a finished product, FD never should've released the game like this" posts in all kinds of forums. Strip away the drama and there's a lot of valid criticism. The opposite side of the argument isn't doing the game any more favours by sometimes responding with condescending "it's Elite and it's been that way since 1984 (I don't want it to be any other way)" posts.

What is there to do once people have gotten the biggest ships and can with relative ease grind as much credits as they want?

From some point onward, there is little in the game that gives people a goal or motivation to look for a goal. What remains is the joy of repeating the game's core mechanics, which might have gotten old for them by then.

• There aren't bigger, flyable ships to buy and try out at some point.
  • Influencing the "world" simulation boils down to moving around bars in a statistic that might or might not (if it's bugged) influence probability of some things happening. Those things are either random encounters or more text boxes.
  • There is little variety introduced by missions. You can only flying things from A to B or kill X of something. That's it. What about finding a hidden pirate/whatever asteroid base, stealthily approaching it, killing some specific ship or collecting some specific cargo and then having to escape?
  • The whole game doesn't show you a single face. Neither that of a CMDR nor that of an NPC. NPCs especially are generic text-boxes without anything but an implied background and character. It's all rather impersonal, except for player interaction, which is at the moment limited by the game's implementation.
  • There are hardly any multi-ship PVP battles (so far), or really good ways for players to create them, which might otherwise motivate people to form effective combat groups. Think something like "capture the flag" multiplayer in asteroid belts, or just plain dogfighting with leader boards. What about races in asteroid belts?
  • There is no elegant trading between players, that doesn't depend on tedious dropping of cargo and selling it at stations. No inter-player ship market, no credit transfers, no creation of personal ingame items. This prevents a player driven market from forming, which might motivate the more trade- and crafting-oriented players otherwise.
  • There is no way to personalize your game beyond getting ships and outfitting them. You can't even buy as much as a room in a statio and make that "your home". You have no "avatar" so to speak, other than the ship you're sitting in. Which is exchangeable and has no non-functional personalization options beyond the skins from the online store.
  • There are, as of yet (?), no alien races or ships to spice things up.

While I find the base framework that ED has layed out is fascinating and will spend some quality time with it in the coming months, there is no denying that the whole thing lacks content on top of the core mechanics. If I had a python and a fat ingame bank account right now, I'd honestly be at a loss at what to do. I might resolve to outfit an exploration ship and fly as far away from inhabited space as possible, or try to hunt down some of the high end pirates... You might pretend to be part of some trading/exploration corporation or bounty hunter agency and role play accordingly. But whatever background you chose to play out, it will be mostly implied by your chat messages and will hardly be reflected by the game's world mechanics and even less by ingame rewards.

That in itself may be great, but it woul be even greater, if they extended the game. We'll see if that's going to be the case.

Good post. Agreed 100%.

So after 1.2, what's the next milestone/feature they'll be working on?

There's no road map for some reason so we don't really know. The first big expansion is to walk around the ship/station and possibly EVA so maybe that's next.

Dezeer

I think one of the problems for "end game" is that there isn't anything small- or large-scale for players to participate in and call their own. What that would require is some kind of clan/organization/guild/faction system, and I can understand in the games current form for why that could be bad for the game.

DrBo42

Interesting bit from the forums today:

Lead Designer said:
We definitely want to add a micro jump between stars within a system (not only does this fit in with the context of how the frame shift drive uses large bodies for navigation, it also helps significantly with those systems where you currently arrive around the "wrong" star, where civilisation has set up camp around a different star in the system).

We're also going to look at getting more content directly into super cruise (e.g. having ships you're looking for in super cruise as well as at signal sources, making super cruise traffic and behaviour more supportive of system state), as well as making more of signal sources (we're looking at adding more reasons to visit signal sources and this will hopefully just grow over time).

The usual caveats apply, of course - no ETA, no guarantee (development can be difficult to predict).

DrBo42

Shit, so NPC Wings in the game, but I still can't hire NPC's to fly with me? That sucks. Or I may be misinterpreting it.

I'd imagine it'd be a future update if at all. I don't think the current AI would be up to task and then they'd have to deal with it following you in and out of supercruise and jumping to new systems.

I'll be honest, I don't really care about walking around the ship/EVA if there is nothing to do. I want to be able repair my ship, make illegal modifications to my ship/weapons, go into ANOTHER player's ship. Combat, of course, would be great (boarding parties!!!) but I don't know if they're going in that direction.

I also don't know that EVA or interior interaction will do much of anything for the endgame, which is what I wish they'd focus on, but maybe I need to think bigger.

EDIT: Oh yeah, forgot about walking around the station. It would be AWESOME if you could actually rent, or even buy, parts of the station and customize them.

I want planetside stuff so badly. It's a little disappointing it wasn't in the game from the start considering Elite II had them back in 1993... As much as I want to walk around my ship and space stations I feel like this is the thing Elite is missing the most right now.

I think about this game compared to another sandbox game, Mount and Blade, and what's missing, for me, is feeling like I have my own "place" in the game world. In Mount and Blade, you start as a single person, then you get a horse, then you hire some peasants, then you start making money, then you train your peasants and upgrade them, hire mercenaries. There is CONSTANT progression (you can even trade goods to make a living)--you can be assigned a protector of a town by a king, and eventually get your own keep.

There's nothing like this in ED (yet) and I wonder if there ever will be. I would LOVE to eventually be able to:

Join the local System Security Force and protect a system
Join one of the factions and actually be called upon to go to war (this is KINDA in the game but feels a bit disconnected/soulless right now)
Hire other players to protect a system
Be hired by a random trader to protect them along a route
"Own" a station or have some kind of collective ownership. Decide on modifications, upgrades, etc. for the station

They definitely need more diversity in their NPCs and their interactions. I'd love to actually get some kind of "relationship" with a faction and its leaders, or what have you.

Anyway, pipe dreams and all that, but since we were on the subject...

DrBo42

Yes, I agree more player progression is needed. Not sure what their vision of that is. For me it only seems logical for player alliances to own a certain star or construct a base there but I believe they've said they want no part of that. Kinda baffling to me. There's so much empty space out there, why not let the players make a home in it?

Shifty76

I want this so much.
Genuinely curious: Why?

I don't understand the repeated requests for this feature. Sure, I might do it once, but that's it. I'd rather they invest resources in fleshing out other, bigger parts of the game. How does being able to walk around your ship improve the core game?

Yes, I agree more player progression is needed. Not sure what their vision of that is. For me it only seems logical for player alliances to own a certain star or construct a base there but I believe they've said they want no part of that. Kinda baffling to me. There's so much empty space out there, why not let the players make a home in it?

Yeah, and this is what bothers me. I'm not sure what their "final vision" for the game is. Exploring is great, but it should just be one of many paths that are robust and built out. It's not like we'll EVER run out of "real estate", haha.

I don't understand the repeated requests for this feature. Sure, I might do it once, but that's it. I'd rather they invest resources in fleshing out other, bigger parts of the game. How does being able to walk around your ship improve the core game?

Kinda how I feel, too.

I mean, it's entirely possible (and likely) that they have different dev teams for different parts of the game, but I don't really care about interacting outside of my ship unless there is something to actually do.

DrBo42

Well I think the belief is that it's the gateway to bigger features like planetary exploration or boarding other ships, maybe even multi-crew ships. Not to mention EVA by itself is pretty much a wet dream for sci-fi and space geeks.

Edit: Just found a brown dwarf with a ring system, crazy awesome. I'm streaming my exploring session if anyone is bored with no desire to be LESS bored. twitch.tv/drbo42

Shifty76

Well I think the belief is that it's the gateway to bigger features like planetary exploration or boarding other ships, maybe even multi-crew ships. Not to mention EVA by itself is pretty much a wet dream for sci-fi and space geeks.

Edit: Just found a brown dwarf with a ring system, crazy awesome. I'm streaming my exploring session if anyone is bored with no desire to be LESS bored. twitch.tv/drbo42
I guess I'd rather they stick to one thing and do it well than adding in other things done poorly.

Remember how amazing Spore looked pre-release? Classic example of attempting too much and failing miserably as a result.

Watching!

And I agree, it's probably the groundwork for planetary exploration, but I honestly don't mind just waiting until that feature is ready before they release EVA stuff.

The problem with releasing it early is the same problem we are in now: it's a solid base without a whole lot to do.

Having said that, I'm hoping to play for a few hours tonight :p

DrBo42

I guess I'd rather they stick to one thing and do it well than adding in other things done poorly.

Remember how amazing Spore looked pre-release? Classic example of attempting too much and failing miserably as a result.

Boy do I ever. That's why I'm so worried about Star Citizen but at least Elite is taking it one step at a time without promising the world. Nothing wrong with being ambitious.

Because they don't want the game to turn into an EVE-like situation where a mega-alliance/organization owns a huge amount of space and anyone not in that alliance is shot on site.

Is there a group of Gaffers on each others Elite friends list yet? Or aren't we bothering until 1.2 comes out in March? Would be nice to have people to chat to whilst playing the game.

Add me, in-game name 'Anastazius' if you like guys and gals.

DrBo42

Is there a group of Gaffers on each others Elite friends list yet? Or aren't we bothering until 1.2 comes out in March? Would be nice to have people to chat to whilst playing the game.

Add me, in-game name 'Anastazius' if you like guys and gals.

Check the linked player list either in the OP or a page back.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom