• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elite: Dangerous |OT| Every Man's Sky

Status
Not open for further replies.

BLunted

Banned
Umm, I'm bored and I have never played a game like this before. What is the general consensus on this now?

Foundation for a great game, but still very much in beta phase. Not much to really do and quickly becomes a repetitive grindfest.

Think it will be amazing in a year's time when there is more content for it.

Shifty76

Foundation for a great game, but still very much in beta phase. Not much to really do and quickly becomes a repetitive grindfest.

Think it will be amazing in a year's time when there is more content for it.

That's certainly one point of view, but I'd hardly call it a consensus.

There seems to be a split between a very vocal group who won't play until more MP features are introduced and a not-so vocal group who have been happily playing since pre-release and are perfectly fine with the game the way it is now.

I'm part of the latter group and am quite happy with where the game is right now.

@ElyrionX: I would say that if lots of multiplayer interaction is a must have for you then you're better off waiting until 1.2 when wings will be introduced.

If you don't care about MP aspects then you'll probably be happy with it right now, provided you're not looking for a game that will hold your hand and guide you every step of the way, like most modern games.

DrBo42

That's certainly one point of view, but I'd hardly call it a consensus.

There seems to be a split between a very vocal group who won't play until more MP features are introduced and a not-so vocal group who have been happily playing since pre-release and are perfectly fine with the game the way it is now.

I'm part of the latter group and am quite happy with where the game is right now.

@ElyrionX: I would say that if lots of multiplayer interaction is a must have for you then you're better off waiting until 1.2 when wings will be introduced.

If you don't care about MP aspects then you'll probably be happy with it right now, provided you're not looking for a game that will hold your hand and guide you every step of the way, like most modern games.

I don't mean to call you out but I literally cannot understand how anyone thinks the game is okay in its current state. It's not about hand holding at all, it's the lack of content or diverse content. You can't venture out into the stars and come across some interesting event you'd never seen before, it's all in the USS instances and there's maybe 5-10 variants of that.

Shifty76

I don't mean to call you out but I literally cannot understand how anyone thinks the game is okay in its current state. It's not about hand holding at all, it's the lack of content or diverse content. You can't venture out into the stars and come across some interesting event you'd never seen before, it's all in the USS instances and there's maybe 5-10 variants of that.

Eh, I like to make up my own story. Whether it's discovering new systems (and now getting my CMDR name attached to them) or hunting the most wanted criminals across the galaxy, or simply discovering new trade routes or systems to mine in.

I'm finding plenty to keep me occupied.

I think there's more than enough content considering the one time price, however, it is obviously a brilliant foundation for what should be a much bigger game. I can play for hours on end just exploring and escaping into space travel fantasy but I also recognize that that's in spite of the lack of variety. The game needs to flesh out it's mission and occupational mechanics and bolster the earning potential of activities outside of trading.

That all being said I have seen good faith from the developers to continue pushing the game closer to it's true potential. Next months update, if it works as advertised should fix a lot of the issue with cooperative play, which is currently discouraged right now. If that works out, I'd love to join a Gaf Wing. There's no way I could convince any of gaming buddies to join me in a space sim.

In the end, the sense of insane scale, is what keeps me hooked. It's the only game that captures that sense of overwhelming insignificance you experience when you realize how enormous the galaxy and universe are.

Skyzard

Banned
My TrackIR start acting crazy today. It worked flawless for a week and now after a few minutes the camera starts going haywire, flickering in random directions while the light blinks. Luckily I bought it from Amazon and they are already shipping the replacement but now I'm completely accustom to having it.

Not sure about TrackIR but did you open curtains that were previously closed?

Perhaps sensitivity settings for TrackIR?

Or played at a time you previously weren't (with more IR interference now)?

Posted a new video where we head to a conflict zone. Lots of shootbang.

Pissed off about my EDTracker - micro usb socket broke away from the board. Busted. Only 1 weeks use. Hoping I can re-solder it during the week. Fingers crossed.

Not sure about TrackIR but did you open curtains that were previously closed?

Perhaps sensitivity settings for TrackIR?

Or played at a time you previously weren't (with more IR interference now)?

Nah, the setting was pretty much the same as the other times I've played. It was bizarre, I was playing for an hour or so and then suddenly it started flicker around. I unplugged it and plugged it back in and it worked for 15-20 mins and started doing it again out of the blue. I rebooted and the same thing again. It was pretty warm, maybe it overheated? I don't know.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Eh, I like to make up my own story. Whether it's discovering new systems (and now getting my CMDR name attached to them) or hunting the most wanted criminals across the galaxy, or simply discovering new trade routes or systems to mine in.

Yep, that's me too. I plan on getting Elite explorer level so I've got a lot of playing to do. This is a game I'll be playing casually for many years, just like the old versions.

I think 1.2 will make a big difference, at least for me. I have about 2-3 friends who have bought the game or will buy it in the next month, so teamplay is going to be huge for us.

Nah, the setting was pretty much the same as the other times I've played. It was bizarre, I was playing for an hour or so and then suddenly it started flicker around. I unplugged it and plugged it back in and it worked for 15-20 mins and started doing it again out of the blue. I rebooted and the same thing again. It was pretty warm, maybe it overheated? I don't know.

Sound like an interferance

bj00rn_

Banned
Yep, that's me too. I plan on getting Elite explorer level so I've got a lot of playing to do. This is a game I'll be playing casually for many years, just like the old versions.

Me too. I was thinking about it here the other day after having played the game almost daily for months (and in VR with my DK2, yes; I'm doing VR daily and I feel awesome, no grid eyes or nausea whatsoever); Even at this stage I can see myself playing this game for years. Once mp is improved, planetary landings and EVA arrives together with the Oculus Rift Consumer Version, I may not need another game (so-to-speak..) for the next couple of years.

The game isn't "beta", I don't agree with that. But of course I wish to see improvements, the game is definitely not perfect. The framework really is awesome, and the graphics engine is better than I ever hoped for. But like I've said before; I'd really like to see more "life" (and content, and mp improvements), there's a lot lacking in the immersive-department in that respect. Just to see a face of some sort, a voice, a shape of a humanoid...something..

BLunted

Banned

And that is pretty much this game in a nutshell. There is hardly any content in this game, you end up being relegated to creating your own minigames.

It reminds me of an excerpt of a post from the official forums, that I thought summed up the current state of the game perfectly:

The first MAJOR issue that I have with ED is that there's no point to any of it, no goals beyond what you set yourself. And that's like looking down at your kitchen floor and deciding you will spend the next hour deliberately stepping on every corner of every tile, as a self-imposed objective, and calling it fun. It's a kitchen sandbox where you can play the way you want to play. Which is fun. Right.

StonedRider

Has anyone started an epic journey around the Galaxy already? I was thinking about it yesterday, but did some calculations and looks like it will take more than 500 hours, about 2 minutes per system. And with proper exploring (water and metal rich worlds at least) it will take forever.

GeoGonzo

That sounds like a poor comparison to me, not to mention reductive to the point of insult. A person is allowed to not like truly open ended gameplay, but that doesn't simply make every well implemented system go away: Elite Dangerous is a fantastic looking game with a ridiculously large world and sense of scale in general. The flight model/combat is great, the sound design is fantastic. How is that a kitchen?

There are some real flaws in this game, like an extremely homogeneous galaxy and too uneven income among different professions. But having no "endgame" isn't a fault. Want to make a real name for yourself? Do it the hard way, like Isinona. Maybe become a truly feared pirate. What, you want to save the galaxy instead? I'm afraid this may not be the game for you, then. There isn't any more endgame here than in FIFA or street fighter. Maybe come back in a while and you may find more content to your liking, who knows.
Is the game moddable? Would be awesome if someone put cosmic horrors into the game, such as Azatoth or Cthulhu.
Nope. It actually requires an online connection to play even in single player.

BLunted

Banned
That sounds like a poor comparison to me, not to mention reductive to the point of insult. A person is allowed to not like truly open ended gameplay, but that doesn't simply make every well implemented system go away: Elite Dangerous is a fantastic looking game with a ridiculously large world and sense of scale in general. The flight model/combat is great, the sound design is fantastic. How is that a kitchen?

There are some real flaws in this game, like an extremely homogeneous galaxy and too uneven income among different professions. But having no "endgame" isn't a fault. Want to make a real name for yourself? Do it the hard way, like Isinona. Maybe become a truly feared pirate. What, you want to save the galaxy instead? I'm afraid this may not be the game for you, then. There isn't any more endgame here than in FIFA or street fighter. Maybe come back in a while and you may find more content to your liking, who knows.

I am assuming this was for me. Not sure why you are taking it so personally. Somebody asked for a general consensus, and I provided one based on my personal experience, and other common narratives from the official forums. You can like whatever you want.

I am actually somewhat envious of you. I really want to love this game, but there simply is no reason to at the moment. I also agree completely with what you said about the game being "a fantastic looking game with a ridiculously large world and sense of scale in general. The flight model/combat is great, the sound design is fantastic" , however to most people, that is what would be considered as the core of a game, not the be all and end all of one.

Kiyoshi

And that is pretty much this game in a nutshell. There is hardly any content in this game, you end up being relegated to creating your own minigames.

It reminds me of an excerpt of a post from the official forums, that I thought summed up the current state of the game perfectly:

The first MAJOR issue that I have with ED is that there's no point to any of it, no goals beyond what you set yourself. And that's like looking down at your kitchen floor and deciding you will spend the next hour deliberately stepping on every corner of every tile, as a self-imposed objective, and calling it fun. It's a kitchen sandbox where you can play the way you want to play. Which is fun. Right.

I agree with the general point; i.e. that the game needs content. They've created a game with a really good framework but the missions structure needs to be fleshed out considerably.

That said, I don't totally agree with the kitchen tile thing. I mean, stepping on the corner of every tile just isn't fun; whereas I've found learning all of the mechanics (flying, docking, shooting, exploring) all fun. For example, I set myself a target of increasing my combat rank in the game; and that meant lots of bounty hunting - and the process of doing that was fun in itself.

So yeah, I can totally see what some people are saying when they say that it's a grind. I'm at the point where I'm spending less and less time with the game; because I've learnt a lot of the game mechanics - and while I still find them fun to some degree - I am looking for more content now. But, I've more than got my money's worth from the game. I want more from it, of course I do, the game is an incredible simulation of the galaxy that is just lacking content at the moment.

Just be prepared (if you're on the fence about picking up this game) not to expect a great deal of content. The 'sim' nature of the game means there's plenty of mileage from learning how to get around the galaxy and learning all the systems within the framework - THAT is fun. Those first few hours learning to dock were ace; the sense of satisfaction in swooping down and getting my first smooth landing was cool. Kitting out an Eagle the first time and getting my first kill, brilliant. Lots of cool moments chatting to other Commanders. I've had some great moments.

I hope to have lots more in the coming months as they add more content.

GeoGonzo

I am assuming this was for me. Not sure why you are taking it so personally. Somebody asked for a general consensus, and I provided one based on my personal experience, and other common narratives from the official forums. You can like whatever you want.

I am actually somewhat envious of you. I really want to love this game, but there simply is no reason to at the moment. I also agree completely with what you said about the game being "a fantastic looking game with a ridiculously large world and sense of scale in general. The flight model/combat is great, the sound design is fantastic" , however to most people, that is what would be considered as the core of a game, not the be all and end all of one.

I didn't mean it to sound personal or confrontational, my apologies if I did (english isn't my first language). When I was saying "What, you want to save the galaxy instead? I'm afraid this may not be the game for you, then." I didn't mean specifically you, BLunted.

I have no links to Frontier and no agenda. I've barely played at all during the last week, and I'd actually love to see more content about the core. But that comment you quoted and linked is simply disingenuous.

You know what games have lots of content and a poor core? Assassin's Creed games. And sure, some people like them, but improving those games by adding different content simply doesn't work, they become different but still janky, messy games.

I see Elite like an excelent beer that isn't cold yet: You can play it now and enjoy it for what it is, or wait and maybe try it later. But saying "This beer is shit, I'm going to grab a cold bud light"? That's just bizarre.

Just steal a bunch of idea from EVE with regards to player interactions. Boom instant content.
I'm not sure if that's the direction Elite is going but that would be nice. EVE has unparaleled player agency, afaik.

bj00rn_

Banned

Well, it's a good thing this is neogaf where we should generally be smart enough to avoid nonsensical analogies like that then isn't it? I don't have a problem with people not enjoying something I do. But "it's just like looking at a kitchen floor!" is too moronic for my taste. We're having plenty of good discussions and criticisms generated here without the need for going down to that kind of level.

Mengy

Has anyone started an epic journey around the Galaxy already? I was thinking about it yesterday, but did some calculations and looks like it will take more than 500 hours, about 2 minutes per system. And with proper exploring (water and metal rich worlds at least) it will take forever.

Two minutes per system? Man it takes me much longer than that as I detail scan everything except for asteroid clusters.

As for the content aspect, sure the game and galaxy could use fleshing out, I'd agree with that. Still, I have fun with the game. It has a similar appeal as Euro Truck Sim 2 does for me. I mean technically in ETS2 all you do is drive around delivering cargo to make money, yet I find that fun in a relaxing yet engaging kind of way. Elite is similar to me, in that all I'm really doing is flying my ship around scanning solar systems and turning that data in for credits and to improve my rank (currently thats what I'm doing). But it's the details of doing that which make it fun and engaging for me.

In time they will expand the game so that I can land on that ice moon orbiting that huge gas giant with the immense ice rings. And I'll be able to EVA out of my ship to repair the hull or walk on an asteroid to take a scenic picture of my ship against the milky way. Those days are coming. Until then I'll enjoy what I have now.

StonedRider

Two minutes per system? Man it takes me much longer than that as I detail scan everything except for asteroid clusters.

I usually scan everything (except asteroids too), just leave distant ice planets alone. But yes, it takes much longer than two minutes per system, and looks like the proper exploration journey around the Galaxy will take up several years of playing the game.

How far did you travel from occupied world? I usually do short exploration round routes, about 50-70 jumps in my Asp, max 500 ly from civilization.

Mengy

I usually scan everything (except asteroids too), just leave distant ice planets alone. But yes, it takes much longer than two minutes per system, and looks like the proper exploration journey around the Galaxy will take up several years of playing the game.

How far did you travel from occupied world? I usually do short exploration round routes, about 50-70 jumps in my Asp, max 500 ly from civilization.

Currently I'm about 600ly away from civilization, this is the furthest out I've been yet. I've got a pair of class C autorepair units in my Asp that are doing me well and only minimal hull damage from a few bad jumps into star's gravity wells. I gradually keep pushing out farther and farther each time. This trip I'm just lollygagging my way towards the trail end of the spiral arm Earth is in, mainly just for kicks. I love how the starfield changes so much as you traverse around the galaxy. Some nebulas get smaller as others grow larger, you see new types of constellations, and it's so damn peaceful flying around with no fear of interdictions and no ships around.

My next purchase will be a Class A frameshift drive for certain to replace my Class C, I just need to save up the credits. Then I'll really start going into deep, deep space.

Mengy

LOL, saw this pic on Reddit and it made me laugh out loud.

9ExNzpf.jpg

Something tells me that the Asp didn't make it...

Someone on Reddit found a star (brown dwarf, I believe) that had rings.

Never seen that yet, would be cool!

GeoGonzo

There's a number of them, apparently:

Wonder if "Chi Tauri" is a Marvel nod or just a coincidence.

If anything I'd guess it may be the other way around. Chi Tauri refers to a real binary star, named using the Bayer designation which used a greek letter (x=chi) and then its parent constellation's name (Taurus). So there's a Lambda Tauri, Beta Tauri, etc.

Portman

I binged over the weekend and earned enough to buy a Type-6 so my early goal has been fulfilled. Now to start saving up some funds and then look for a trade route to see how I do at hauling cargo. Hopefully I will make enough to eventually afford a Type-7 then 9 since it seems like the larger cargo holds will help increase trade income as I go.

I got a Cobra and tried out some NPC bounty hunting and it was fun for a bit but after a while I went back to trading. I did accept a mission and then got a different offer from an unknown signal source which made the mission giver opinion of me drop. I'm not sure if I can get it back up to where they will offer missions now and I don't know if that is a bad thing or could I just go to another station/area and try for some hunt/kill missions eventually?

Now that I've got an idea of how the game works I think I will give exploration a try once I build up some funds. Even if I don't make to to unexplored/unnamed stars I'm willing to do it just as a test plus it seems like it could be a neat change of pace from trading after a while.

Are there any active combat areas or whatever it is called when a place goes into chaos like Ho Hsi did a while back? Reading that as I went through the thread made it sound like it would be fun if I want to try out combat again. I didn't know if visiting an area like that if there is a current focus spot would be worth it or if it would be better to wait until the Wings update to try that. Speaking of group/community stuff is there an overall site or location that tracks big scale stuff like that?

kvk1

That feeling when you're a Type 6 with a cargo full of Palladium, you jump into your final destination star, and there are about 5 hollow triangles within a stone's throw of you.

S89Vx4J.gif

Navigation panel, lock station, go, go, go, for the love of god GO.

EDTracker GAF--I feel like I have to reset mine way too often. Like, once ever five minutes, if that. I followed the calibration instructions to a T. Any tips?

Hit Midshipman rank with Federation this past weekend--Altair has a ton of missions (can't remember which gaffer gave me that tip, thanks!) to do, usually one right after the other or multiple at a time.

I was doing an assassination mission against a Dropship, which was going pretty well--it was just taking a while. I guess I forgot to turn off the Report Crimes features, because halfway through the battle, three Federation vipers showed up and helped me take him out.

HiDTOYl.jpg

If anything I'd guess it may be the other way around. Chi Tauri refers to a real binary star, named using the Bayer designation which used a greek letter (x=chi) and then its parent constellation's name (Taurus). So there's a Lambda Tauri, Beta Tauri, etc.

Haha, yeah, that makes much more sense :p

EDTracker GAF--I feel like I have to reset mine way too often. Like, once ever five minutes, if that. I followed the calibration instructions to a T. Any tips?

:p

6050 or 9150? I had to ditch the 6050 and go with the 9150. I had the same experience with the 6050, I could see the drift after a couple minutes. Probably my surroundings. But after the switch have had no issues.

6050 or 9150? I had to ditch the 6050 and go with the 9150. I had the same experience with the 6050, I could see the drift after a couple minutes. Probably my surroundings. But after the switch have had no issues.

My 6050 fell apart after 1 week. Micro USB jack came apart from the PCB.

Ordered a 9150 today to replace it.

McArkus

Someone on Reddit found a star (brown dwarf, I believe) that had rings.

I think Antares have those, was there a week ago, shame that couldn't cash that exploration journey, was blow by a federal drop ship. Oh well,now I'm planning a journey to the veil nebula. Wish me luck!

AJLma

This would make being a pirate very hard, and it's already pretty tough. For this to work they'd have to make being a pirate more rewarding/profitable.

Also, Sol would have about a thousand people on patrol at any given time, which really seems kind of appropriate. It should be really hard to cause trouble in Sol or other really popular systems.

Hopefully the devs saw that one.

EDIT: Are bounty boards still around? Haven't seen one in forever.

Tenebrous

Grabbed myself a HOTAS and decided to finally take the plunge on Elite, so heyo, ED-GAF!

Day one has been a tad aimless, haha. I've done the tutorials, done a few simple missions, and done a bit of galactic merchanting... But nothing compares to getting lost in a new system and almost running out of fuel. Fun stuff >.>

How do I know which faction is offering a mission on the bulletin board? I took a mission earlier and didn't realize I was helping out the opposite faction until the branching mission popped up and the NPC told me who I was working for.

How do I know which faction is offering a mission on the bulletin board? I took a mission earlier and didn't realize I was helping out the opposite faction until the branching mission popped up and the NPC told me who I was working for.

It lists the faction next to the mission title right on the board.

Putosaure

Upgraded a little bit my Sidewinder for now last night.

I'm wondering if some missions can be traps instead of real missions ? I was searching for a black box but only encountered a fucking Elite-ranked motherfucker who just blew my ship in one shot. Or it was bad luck.

Also, is escape vector something new ? I succesfully manage to escape using it last night too, it was pretty satisfying and intense.

Upgraded a little bit my Sidewinder for now last night.

I'm wondering if some missions can be traps instead of real missions ? I was searching for a black box but only encountered a fucking Elite-ranked motherfucker who just blew my ship in one shot. Or it was bad luck.

Also, is escape vector something new ? I succesfully manage to escape using it last night too, it was pretty satisfying and intense.

Interdiction, it's how other ships rip you out of supercruise so they can scan you and/or destroy you.

StonedRider

Are there any active combat areas or whatever it is called when a place goes into chaos like Ho Hsi did a while back?

I've been in Ho Hsi couple of days ago - there was high intensity combat zone and several low intensity ones. Looks like war is not over.

StonedRider

Yesterday I was interdicted by System Authority ship. After interdiction (I submitted because was in the mood for fight, but did not expect to see System Authority) it said nothing, even did not scan me and flew away. Moreover, I am friendly with this system controlling faction (Federation), ship was green on my radar.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom