• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elite: Dangerous |OT| Every Man's Sky

Status
Not open for further replies.

bj00rn_

Banned
Ok, just did a bit of hanging around the Nav points, taking down Wanted ships. It has been far more lucrative than the Bulletin Board missions or trading. I made about 150k in an hour or so. Going to keep doing this for now and get the Viper and see how it goes from there.

I made about 450,000 credits in about 20-30 minutes in one go in a Resource Extraction Site hunting wanted ships with a Cobra a few weeks ago, it was glorious, lol.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
And on my shiny new Asp... well, this kitty has claws. Two NPCs in anarchy systems figured that out today when I was out exploring. Sure, I'll submit, save me the damage. And then I'll rip your shit apart before you know what's going on.

Yeah I run my Asp with no weapons right now, allows me to jump farther! Eventually when I get in the mood to blow things up I'll fill her with guns again and go bounty hunting.

Jedi2016

Yeah I run my Asp with no weapons right now, allows me to jump farther! Eventually when I get in the mood to blow things up I'll fill her with guns again and go bounty hunting.
Mine's kitted for exploration right now, and still has a 18+ly jump range with only a class C FSD. The eventual Class A will push it to damn near 30ly. But I realized I can save some credits on the FSD since, as an explorer, I won't actually be doing too many long jumps, it'll be a series of short hops between systems.

Exploring is time-consuming, though. Today I just went from Leesti to Sol, exploring every unmapped system along the way. Took over two hours, and my Eagle can make the trip in about five minutes. And, not a lot of money so far, either, only around 35K for the stuff I mapped today. I can make that in two kills at a RES. Which I can always do in my spare time... when you get up to 6+ hardpoints, the phrase "bristling with weapons" starts to become applicable.. hehe.

Danj

I'm not sure if trading is the way I want to go. The profits seem to be fairly minuscule so far if you're not doing bulletin board missions.

Not true. If you get into trading rare goods you can easily make a million credits an hour. You do need to upgrade your FSD though. Or if you prefer to stick with regular bulk goods, there are many trading tools and websites that can help you find decent profits.

I'm waiting for the discount after the last combat community goal to kick in. I'm going to sell my ASP and rebuy it at the station. That should give some money back and my insurance should be forever lower on that ship.

Danj

I'm waiting for the discount after the last combat community goal to kick in. I'm going to sell my ASP and rebuy it at the station. That should give some money back and my insurance should be forever lower on that ship.

The what now? I'm interested in lower insurance, with all the upgrades I've done on it my Cobra costs like 260k to rebuy.

The what now? I'm interested in lower insurance, with all the upgrades I've done on it my Cobra costs like 260k to rebuy.

The insurance is apparently attached to the purchase price so if you buy your ship at a discount, which is typically part of the community goal rewards, the insurance on that ship should be forever cheaper.

So I travel to the Njotec system, where the Federation has declared war on the Nijotec Syndicate. I choose the Federation side in the conflict zone, lots of green and red contacts on my radar. All the other CMDRs are green/friendly.

However, TWICE it has happened where I lock onto an enemy and work on taking him out, and once he's destroyed, suddenly the other CMDRs are attacking me. I look at the radar, there are no longer ANY green blips.

What gives? If I accidentally shoot an ally, do they all regard me as an enemy? If an ally CMDR starts attacking me, do I show up as red to all others? Something isn't right here and I've had two very close calls where I've had to quickly jump out of the zone because this happens.

So I travel to the Njotec system, where the Federation has declared war on the Nijotec Syndicate. I choose the Federation side in the conflict zone, lots of green and red contacts on my radar. All the other CMDRs are green/friendly.

However, TWICE it has happened where I lock onto an enemy and work on taking him out, and once he's destroyed, suddenly the other CMDRs are attacking me. I look at the radar, there are no longer ANY green blips.

What gives? If I accidentally shoot an ally, do they all regard me as an enemy? If an ally CMDR starts attacking me, do I show up as red to all others? Something isn't right here and I've had two very close calls where I've had to quickly jump out of the zone because this happens.

If you friendly fire, especially against another commander, you will become hostile to everyone (against AI I think there is a little leeway now, with commanders, I think it's instant). In those cases, you want to book it out quick because there is little resistance in those fights and the commanders are chomping at the bit for a target. Human targets especially.

Bummer. I wish that was more forgiveable. I don't even remember seeing a notice about shooting an allied commander.

In other news, BD+03 2338 is a warzone (this guy has been posting a bunch of conflict zone vids) and we have a new community goal:

Despite Admiral Vincent's strong words during yesterday's press conference, President Halsey has refused the Admiral's request to send additional forces for the attack on Polahukuna.

In response, the Federal Navy, in conjunction with Core Dynamics, has declared their intention to commission the creation of a new capitol ship. The new ship will be built in the recently recaptured shipyards of BD+03 2338, and the Admiral's personal contingent will remain in the locale in order to protect the construction of the new vessel.

Portman

Bummer. I wish that was more forgiveable. I don't even remember seeing a notice about shooting an allied commander.

In other news, BD+03 2338 is a warzone (this guy has been posting a bunch of conflict zone vids) and we have a new community goal:

So what do you have to do to witness stuff like this? Is it scripted for certain areas of space or encounters? Or do you just have to be in the right area at the right time such as a conflict zone or civil war? I would love to see something like this in game and it would give me something else to work towards.

So what do you have to do to witness stuff like this? Is it scripted for certain areas of space or encounters? Or do you just have to be in the right area at the right time such as a conflict zone or civil war? I would love to see something like this in game and it would give me something else to work towards.

Finding conflict zones is basically a matter of reading GalNet at stations and seeing what's what, AFAIK. I think this is the first time they've done a community goal around building a battle cruiser, though.

Portman

Finding conflict zones is basically a matter of reading GalNet at stations and seeing what's what, AFAIK. I think this is the first time they've done a community goal around building a battle cruiser, though.

Okay so now I will keep an eye out for those when I'm flying. I'm thinking I saw one recently but I wasn't about to go into it flying a Type-6. Hopefully they stick around for a while and I can always go get my Cobra and investigate.

I took advantage of the discount today. I gained about 1.5 mil cr and decreased my insurance from 1.8 to 1.5 mil cr for my ASP.

The best way to replace a ship this way is:
  1. Fly the ship you wish to replace to the discounted station
  2. Buy the replacement ship and buy any parts if what you want is on sale at that station (everything will receive the discount. You do this first if you can so there will be cheap replacement parts available for the next step.)
  3. Sell the parts of your old ship, replace the parts that have to be replaced with the cheapest version available (you sell parts individually for the price you bought them. selling parts as part of the ship will lose you 10%, also any parts sold with the ship cannot be re-bought for the final step)
  4. Sell the old ship
  5. Rebuy any parts from the old ship that you need to finish outfitting the new ship. (these will not have the discount applied but you won't have to fly from station to station to find the parts you need)

Mengy

I took advantage of the discount today. I gained about 1.5 mil cr and decreased my insurance from 1.8 to 1.5 mil cr for my ASP.

The best way to replace a ship this way is:
  1. Fly the ship you wish to replace to the discounted station

Okay, so where is this discounted station? I've not heard anything about this...

DrBo42

Can you get above 12.00MW power output on a Viper? Struggling to get a proper loadout. It's an A3.

Edit: My power use with everything running/deployed is 15.00MW. Hahaha. Anyone have a good setup on their Viper I can look at?

This guy reached the edge of the galaxy.

Expedition info:
The journey took 10 weeks to complete (Dec. 16th - Feb. 22nd).
The ship traveled approximately 144,000 light years.

It was heavily damaged on three occasions. The first when jumping into a red giant binary pair, the second when jumping into a contact binary system, and the third when getting a little too close to the supermassive black hole, Sagittarius A* during the return trip.

For the final 27,000 light years of the journey the ship was flown with safety as a priority (no more surveying was conducted), as the hull integrity was down to 14% and the cockpit canopy was on the verge of collapse with 95% structural damage.

Due to the limited amount of surveying on the return trip, the total payout from stellar cartographics amounted to just under 30 million credits.

The DSS Beagle remains unrepaired and will never be flown again.

The entire Distant Suns expedition was conducted in Open Play.

Shifty76

Can you get above 12.00MW power output on a Viper? Struggling to get a proper loadout. It's an A3.

Edit: My power use with everything running/deployed is 15.00MW. Hahaha. Anyone have a good setup on their Viper I can look at?

Disable or reduce priority on all non-essential items when you deploy hardpoints. FSD, cargo hatch etc all not needed in combat.

Run with D grade scanners and life support. Less power use plus less weight which is important in combat.

This is what I'm running right now for a pure bounty hunting viper setup: http://www.edshipyard.com/#/L=30M,4yG7OX4ws7N701Q3we,2-4s4s4s3m4s5K22,7Pc7fO9qm4wE. Mostly hunting big game (annies, pythons, dropships & clippers) so feel free to switch out the cannons with multicannons for smaller targets. Smaller targets tend to go pop with just the beam lasers, though I'll hit them with the cannons too if they trigger their FSD. Lasers for shields, cannons for subsystems & hull on the big ships.

Need to disable cargo hatch (no cargo space anyway so pointless) and set FSD and fuel scoop priority to low. SCB disabled so I have enough juice to run the KWS. Once I've scanned I'll disable the KWS and enable the SCB.

Takes a bit of juggling power to systems, but is well worth it. Probably worth grabbing voice attack and using that to do all that for me automatically...

Disable or reduce priority on all non-essential items when you deploy hardpoints. FSD, cargo hatch etc all not needed in combat.

Run with D grade scanners and life support. Less power use plus less weight which is important in combat.

This is what I'm running right now for a pure bounty hunting viper setup: http://www.edshipyard.com/#/L=30M,4yG7OX4ws7N701Q3we,2-4s4s4s3m4s5K22,7Pc7fO9qm4wE

Need to disable cargo hatch (no cargo space anyway so pointless) and set FSD and fuel scoop priority to low. SCB disabled so I have enough juice to run the KWS. Once I've scanned I'll disable the KWS and enable the SCB.

Takes a bit of juggling power to systems, but is well worth it. Probably worth grabbing voice attack and using that to do all that for me automatically...

Damn, didn't even think about disabling modules depending on whether or not I'm in combat. Wonder if we'll ever be able to set up power "profiles".

Jedi2016

FSD's an easy one because you can't jump with hardpoints deployed anyway.

After the latest patch, where they tweaked some of the thermal weapons, I hadn't taken my Cobra out for a while. Went to a RES, found a baddie, deployed weapons... and my emergency oxygen mask came down. Somehow life support had wound up as a Priority 2 system, so I spent about five minutes futzing with my power until I found a setup that worked. And then once I got done there, spending another half hour or so finding a station that actually sold the bigger power core that I needed.

I'm debating getting an even bigger one for my Asp (it's got a class C right now) just because I'm so close to 100% with everything deployed (but not over).

Gamegeneral

I've been extremely on the fence with this game for about two months now. Literally, if it had a demo or a trial period I'd have my answer for this game.

On the one hand, I REALLY WANT IT because it looks like a more direct EVE Online type game only with action-oriented controls, on the other hand, I've been burnt by other space games that didn't jive well with me, like Evochron Mercenaries which was fraught with endless frustrations for me.

DrBo42

This is what I'm running right now for a pure bounty hunting viper setup: http://www.edshipyard.com/#/L=30M,4yG7OX4ws7N701Q3we,2-4s4s4s3m4s5K22,7Pc7fO9qm4wE. Mostly hunting big game (annies, pythons, dropships & clippers) so feel free to switch out the cannons with multicannons for smaller targets. Smaller targets tend to go pop with just the beam lasers, though I'll hit them with the cannons too if they trigger their FSD. Lasers for shields, cannons for subsystems & hull on the big ships.

Exactly what I needed, thanks.

ElyrionX

Does upgrading sensors allow you to acquire and scan targets from further distances? My sensor states its range as 5km but there are times when I needed to be 1km or closer before the orange box pops up around a ship enabling me to target and scan him.

Also, why is it that traveling to a system that is just 21ly away require me to make so many jumps through other smaller systems? Is it due to my jump range limitation of 7ly? So if I had a ship with 30ly jump range I would be able to travel to that system with just one single jump?

Jedi2016

Also, why is it that traveling to a system that is just 21ly away require me to make so many jumps through other smaller systems? Is it due to my jump range limitation of 7ly? So if I had a ship with 30ly jump range I would be able to travel to that system with just one single jump?
Uh.. yeah. That's how math works.

If you're using the route planner, be sure to check "Fastest Route", so it will actually use your maximum jump range. The default is "Economical Route", which uses the shortest jumps possible, but many more of them.

ElyrionX

Uh.. yeah. That's how math works.

If you're using the route planner, be sure to check "Fastest Route", so it will actually use your maximum jump range. The default is "Economical Route", which uses the shortest jumps possible, but many more of them.

What I meant was, my jump range is 7ly. Why can't I do three jumps of 7ly each to reach the 21ly system? So basically I need systems to jump to in between my current system and the 21ly system to be able to do that? But a ship with 30ly range would be able to jump straight to the 21ly system without need to go through any of the systems in between?

DrBo42

What I meant was, my jump range is 7ly. Why can't I do three jumps of 7ly each to reach the 21ly system? So basically I need systems to jump to in between my current system and the 21ly system to be able to do that? But a ship with 30ly range would be able to jump straight to the 21ly system without need to go through any of the systems in between?

You have to select the Fastest Route option in I believe the navigation Tab of the galaxy map to ensure your max jump range is being applied. If you plotted a route before applying the fastest option toggled you need to run the route planner again to apply it. With a jump range of 7, your target at 21 is at least 3 jumps if the systems are spaced as such. Yes a ship with 30ly jump range could be there in 1 jump.

ElyrionX

Thanks for that.

So what are the differences between the Small and Medium hardpoints? I got both on my Viper and they seem to take the same weapons?

Also what are the most cost-effective weapons (in terms of ammo reloads) for hull damage? Seems like all the hull damage weapons require ammo and I'd rather not spend too much on ammo at this point in time.

GeoGonzo

Thanks for that.

So what are the differences between the Small and Medium hardpoints? I got both on my Viper and they seem to take the same weapons?

Also what are the most cost-effective weapons (in terms of ammo reloads) for hull damage? Seems like all the hull damage weapons require ammo and I'd rather not spend too much on ammo at this point in time.

Every hardpoint can fit weapons of its class or lower:
Small: class 1
Medium: class 1 or 2
Large: class 1, 2 or 3
Huge: class 1, 2, 3 or 4

If you can only see class 1 weapons for your medium hardpoints it simply means that they don't have any class 2 weapons for sale on that station.

A weapon of a higher class will do significantly more damage, I think it may be around 50% more.

The most cost effective kinetic weapon is the multicannon: it is weak against shields but effective against armor as long as the target isn't a much larger ship. They hold plenty of ammo and are cheap to reload. Try to find gimballed multicannons if you can, since it makes it easier to shoot with them and lasers at the same time.

Danj

What I meant was, my jump range is 7ly. Why can't I do three jumps of 7ly each to reach the 21ly system?

Because you need a nav beacon to exit hyperspace, and nav beacons are only present in star systems. You can't just arbitrarily travel 7 light years in some direction, because then you'd be lost in deep space without the possibility of return.

frontieruk

Because you need a nav beacon to exit hyperspace, and nav beacons are only present in star systems. You can't just arbitrarily travel 7 light years in some direction, because then you'd be lost in deep space without the possibility of return.

I want a stern discussion with the person who decided that the best place for nav beacons was just on the edge of a stars gravity well...

Danj

I want a stern discussion with the person who decided that the best place for nav beacons was just on the edge of a stars gravity well...

Yeah it is kinda weird, I wonder what the rationale for it is? Because when you exit a station, you're "mass locked" until you get out of range, I'd have thought the same thing would happen with stars too.

I don't believe a nav beacon is necessary for exiting hyperspace. I'd guess that the nav beacon broadcasts the star system data for inhabited systems. There are no nav beacons once you leave inhabited space. The mass of the star is what is used for navigation I believe.

GeoGonzo

Isn't it the other way around? I think we travel from star to star because we use their mass to pull us out of hyperspace. If we didn't, shutting down the hyperspace jump one or two seconds late or early could leave us a million lightseconds offtarget... and that wouldn't be a fun supercruise ride.
-edit-
Blah, I type slowly. What Felix Lighter said.

Shifty76

Had a 190k mission reward pirate lord anaconda with another 90k of bounties on it down to 1% hull when the authorities appeared and finished it off.

No bounty plus the mission is still active so I have to do it all over again, even though the target died.

Sometimes you just feel like saying "fuck it" and just start blowing up authority vessels...

Mengy

You don't need a nav beacon. When exploring uninhabited systems in deep space there are no nav beacons, I've not seen one in the past hundred or so jumps!

Civil war has broken out in ETA Draconis.

New community goal

Lambda Andromedae: Bringing Data Home

Inspired by Universal Cartographics recent push to expand humanities borders, the Sirius Corporation has today announced its plan to launch a number of new colonial outposts to the very edges of occupied space.

Ana Quin, Sirius' Junior Vice President of Interstellar Logistics, had this to say about the announcement:

"We're very excited to move forward with this project. It's been a long time coming, but finally the board have agreed it's time to get the ball rolling. We've got the tech and the volunteers, all we need now is to know where to send them."

Sirius is currently offering sizeable monetary rewards for explorers who bring usable exploration data containing potential candidate sites to their offices aboard Nourse Orbital in Lambda Andromedae.

My Federation rank is fucked. It says I'm an Ensign even though I've worked my way through every system permit. Ugh. I still get unobtainable missions for the Exbeur system permit that I already obtained forever ago.

Edit:

never mind I'm an idiot

p2535748

I just wanted to pop in here and say what an incredible time I'm having with this so far.

I've got a young kid, so I have nowhere near enough time to get really good at this, but for the past couple of weeks I've been popping on for an hour or two here and there and just doing a trade run or exploring areas, and it's just fantastic. It's gorgeous, the flying feels right, and the scale is immense.

I'm sure this will wear off in a bit, and I'm also sure that if I were trying to get more out of this than just a couple of hours of diversion, I might dislike the aimlessness of the game, but right now I'm loving it.

Also, it's a great excuse to break out my CH stick/throttle/pedal combo, and I appreciate any excuse to take those down from the shelf.

I just wanted to pop in here and say what an incredible time I'm having with this so far.

I've got a young kid, so I have nowhere near enough time to get really good at this, but for the past couple of weeks I've been popping on for an hour or two here and there and just doing a trade run or exploring areas, and it's just fantastic. It's gorgeous, the flying feels right, and the scale is immense.

I'm sure this will wear off in a bit, and I'm also sure that if I were trying to get more out of this than just a couple of hours of diversion, I might dislike the aimlessness of the game, but right now I'm loving it.

Also, it's a great excuse to break out my CH stick/throttle/pedal combo, and I appreciate any excuse to take those down from the shelf.

That's kinda how I've been playing: drop in for an hour or two, check missions, earn some money, explore, check out conflict zones, community goals, etc.

I really only binge when I haven't played for a long time OR one of my friends is playing. I know 1.2/Wings will have me playing more, though.

Beta next week???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom