• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elite: Dangerous |OT| Every Man's Sky

Status
Not open for further replies.

kvk1

I jumped into a RES that was situated on the dark side of a planet. The horizon was pitch black.

I was using an Oculus as well, and it was one of the most intense moments I've had in a video game.

Whizzing at full boost to catch targets, and not being able to see the asteroids until literally the last second.

I was mini-gasping and scooting around my own seat the whole time.

bj00rn_

Banned
I just wanted to pop in here and say what an incredible time I'm having with this so far.

I've got a young kid, so I have nowhere near enough time to get really good at this, but for the past couple of weeks I've been popping on for an hour or two here and there and just doing a trade run or exploring areas, and it's just fantastic. It's gorgeous, the flying feels right, and the scale is immense.

I'm sure this will wear off in a bit, and I'm also sure that if I were trying to get more out of this than just a couple of hours of diversion, I might dislike the aimlessness of the game, but right now I'm loving it.

Also, it's a great excuse to break out my CH stick/throttle/pedal combo, and I appreciate any excuse to take those down from the shelf.

For what it's worth, my son is 4 months old, been playing the game for half his life about 3-4 evenings a week and I'm still not tired of it, lol.

I jumped into a RES that was situated on the dark side of a planet. The horizon was pitch black.

I was using an Oculus as well, and it was one of the most intense moments I've had in a video game.

Yup, that's what I've been saying too, people are probably tired of me raving about the OR and RES combination. Considering this is exactly what I dreamt about when I was a kid, I feel lucky to be able to experience it :)

kvk1

Yup, that's what I've been saying too, people are probably tired of me raving about the OR and RES combination. Considering this is exactly what I dreamt about when I was a kid, I feel lucky to be able to experience it :)

It's a-mazing.

I wanted to start an argument with everyone in that VR thread that was classifying the experience as a "fad" and "not for games" or something.

They don't know, man.

THEY DON'T KNOW.

Didn't they say they want to improve the effectiveness of ship lights?

"Flashlight" battles in asteroid fields=drool.

Oh, I had the lights on!

But I don't know if Viper's lighting facilities aren't strong enough, or if dark side of the planet is "too dark" to have any effect, but I was barely seeing any rocks until I was close enough to give them a kiss.

But If I had the lights off I couldn't see them even then, so yeah.

Dev update:

Hi everyone,

The beta release for update 1.2 is rapidly approaching and I have some more details to share in this week’s update.

First let’s look at some more details on the Wings functionality – Wing Beacons. Player wings exist to enable cooperative game play. One of the neat features wings use to support this notion is the wing beacon. This nifty little device allows you to send a signal from normal space into the system’s super cruise environment.
Your wing will be able to see the signal - regardless of distance - as long as they are in super cruise in the system; they can use it just like a wake and drop down to your location.

The wing beacon also leaves the door open for future updates to trigger game events from it, such as distress calls to nearby Commanders and AI ships for example. But right now it makes all the difference when you drop into your wing’s system; with a simple flick of a switch, your team members will be able to instantly lead you to their position.

Wings also brings an overhaul for comms. The most obvious change is the ability to transmit open broadcasts. Such text messages will now be received by all ships nearby. Of course, you can toggle your ship’s ability to receive such broadcasts at will.

We’ve also popped in some text line syntax, allowing you to /T talk directly to the ship you’ve targeted, /R respond to the ship that last talked directly to you, as a well as /W talk to your wing. When you join a wing, you will by default send communications to them, but you can quickly toggle this option when you type your message.

Another change related to comms is that commanders docked in starports will now remain on your contact list so you can chat with them while docked.

Another aspect we’ve looked into is the operating costs on ships, so in 1.2 we’ve performed a balance pass on repair costs. This change should really help Commanders make profit from combat roles: as long as they don’t die, their repair costs should not eat away all of the profit they might be making from bounties and the like.

Balancing the various economies and risks in the game is an ongoing affair, so this probably won’t be the last change we make, but we believe lowering repair costs is on the safer side, so it’s a good candidate to test out and bed in first.

We’ve also added a cool new feature for people with damaged modules. We’re activating diagnostics repair-reboot functionality on all ships. Whilst still not a match for an automatic field-maintenance module, this function allows a ship to reboot and jury-rig completely broken modules, getting them back up and running at a couple of percent health. Of course, there’s a cost: for every percent of health repaired, another, healthier module will be stripped of double this amount as components are cannibalised.

For people wanting to take screenshots or look at their own ships we’re also unlocking a debug camera. This allows you take limited control of the camera outside of your ship. This isn’t a gameplay camera and is purely a debug function to allow players to see their ship.

Looking beyond the 1.2 release we have the Mac beta, still scheduled for the end of March. Beyond that we have the 1.3 update and we’ll share more information on that update ‘soon’.

WGMBY

Wings also brings an overhaul for comms. The most obvious change is the ability to transmit open broadcasts. Such text messages will now be received by all ships nearby. Of course, you can toggle your ship’s ability to receive such broadcasts at will.

We’ve also added a cool new feature for people with damaged modules. We’re activating diagnostics repair-reboot functionality on all ships. Whilst still not a match for an automatic field-maintenance module, this function allows a ship to reboot and jury-rig completely broken modules, getting them back up and running at a couple of percent health. Of course, there’s a cost: for every percent of health repaired, another, healthier module will be stripped of double this amount as components are cannibalised.

Awesome, both of these features sound great!

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
For people wanting to take screenshots or look at their own ships we’re also unlocking a debug camera. This allows you take limited control of the camera outside of your ship. This isn’t a gameplay camera
and is purely a debug function to allow players to see their ship.

WOAH, we are getting exterior camera options??? FINALLY!!!!!!!

Lowered repair costs sound awesome. higher tier ships are pretty ridiculous considering there isn't anything special about the 'hull' you get.

And outside camera, finally! Hopefully it's worthwhile, do not like the "debug" moniker.

Jedi2016

For screenshots, all I really want is the ability to remove the cockpit and HUD, to get a clean look at whatever's in front of me.

Outside cam is nice, but I gather from the "debug" phrasing that it will be difficult to use and not near what people actually want.

Reese-015

Wtf! So I had been flying back and forth from Dirac Enterprise to a nearby system that had some nice extraction sites where I'd take down some Wanted NPC's for nice credits... This was going pretty good and I finally got myself a Cobra with it! Didn't actually take so long, to be honest. Really fun and efficient way to play. But now all of a sudden, as I go for another bounty hunting run there, after I take another guy out, I'm 'Wanted'?! The last guy I took out was Wanted himself and was being shot at by Federation Security and such... How come I'm suddenly Wanted? Is it cause I had been stealing cargo containers every now and then? I always paid my fines on them and such... Not sure why. Anyway... Based myself at Littlewood Terminal in an Independent system now cause now I seem to be Wanted in Federation space. Any way to clear my bounty up? And any idea what caused me to become Wanted there?

GeoGonzo

Wtf! So I had been flying back and forth from Dirac Enterprise to a nearby system that had some nice extraction sites where I'd take down some Wanted NPC's for nice credits... This was going pretty good and I finally got myself a Cobra with it! Didn't actually take so long, to be honest. Really fun and efficient way to play. But now all of a sudden, as I go for another bounty hunting run there, after I take another guy out, I'm 'Wanted'?! The last guy I took out was Wanted himself and was being shot at by Federation Security and such... How come I'm suddenly Wanted? Is it cause I had been stealing cargo containers every now and then? I always paid my fines on them and such... Not sure why. Anyway... Based myself at Littlewood Terminal in an Independent system now cause now I seem to be Wanted in Federation space. Any way to clear my bounty up? And any idea what caused me to become Wanted there?
You should be able to pay your bounty from the contacts menu in any station. Fines unpaid do eventually turn into bounties but you say you've been paying those... Were you using a kill warrant scanner? If not, I can't imagine what could have caused your bounty other than stray shots hitting clean ships.

Danj

If you get scanned while you're carrying stolen goods I would imagine that gets you Wanted or something. If you go to Outposts instead of bigger stations like Coriolis/Ocellus/whatever then it seems like you're much less likely to encounter cops hanging around and scanning you. If you can find a Federation aligned Outpost somewhere, then you can just go there and pay your fines to clear up the wanted status I think.

Anyone running triple displays for Elite? I recently picked up an extra 24" monitor on the cheap and want to run the game across all 3. Trying to find a decent monitor bracket that can hold all 3 displays in landscape mode is a pain in the ass. If anyone has any suggestions, I sure would appreciate them! :)

DrBo42

I think people getting excited about the external camera really need to focus on the debug description. It will in no way be viable or most likely even usable in gameplay, just something to take screenshots.

Mengy

I think people getting excited about the external camera really need to focus on the debug description. It will in no way be viable or most likely even usable in gameplay, just something to take screenshots.

Which is fine by me, because that's all I really want it for: screenshots.

I think that's all most people wanted, really.

Anyone else see the posts by the Lead Designer on how he wants to implement procedural weapons and modules in the game? He said it would be similar to Borderlands-style loot. That would make outfitting a lot more interesting.

Ronnie

Banned
Has anyone managed to get their DK2 view mirrored on a monitor at the same time?

It doesn't matter if the image on the monitor is upside down, doubled, on its side or low res, I just need to guide some mates through the game.

Is this possible at all?

Did you try the 9150? Night and day from the 6050.

Is it really that much better? I mean, is it good enough to justify giving them the money when I am already dissatisfied with one of their products?

Edit: Newsletter shows Wings hud:

Peek.jpg

Is it really that much better? I mean, is it good enough to justify giving them the money when I am already dissatisfied with one of their products?

I'm getting my 9160 tomorrow - I'll do a video of it so you can judge it for yourself if you like. I already did one for the 6050 here.

That Wings hud looks nice. I was wondering how they would work that and I'm glad it wasn't just relegated to the Contacts panel. Looks like the Comms panel updates are in there too.

Danj

Trying to find a decent monitor bracket that can hold all 3 displays in landscape mode is a pain in the ass. If anyone has any suggestions, I sure would appreciate them! :)

I was going to suggest Ergotron, but their triple stands won't do 24" unfortunately.

Anyone running triple displays for Elite? I recently picked up an extra 24" monitor on the cheap and want to run the game across all 3. Trying to find a decent monitor bracket that can hold all 3 displays in landscape mode is a pain in the ass. If anyone has any suggestions, I sure would appreciate them! :)
I was going to suggest Ergotron, but their triple stands won't do 24" unfortunately.
Seconded.

I had the same troubles when I was trying to set up my monitors. I ended up going for two Ergotron LX dual arms.
They are expensive, but very pliable and sturdy as hell. You can move them around with just a pinky, but once you let go they will keep that position indefinitely.

Supports my four just fine.

And you can also set them up like an idiot.

Mengy

Seconded.

I had the same troubles when I was trying to set up my monitors. I ended up going for two Ergotron LX dual arms.
They are expensive, but very pliable and sturdy as hell. You can move them around with just a pinky, but once you let go they will keep that position indefinitely.

Supports my four just fine.

And you can also set them up like an idiot.

Thanks for the reply dude. I had a look at them, but they're wayyyyy outta my price range sadly. I was looking at this: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/181664841250 but I'm not sure it'd fit them all in a row in landscape. That and my desk is really small, so I don't have a lot of room.

Thanks for the reply dude. I had a look at them, but they're wayyyyy outta my price range sadly. I was looking at this: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/181664841250 but I'm not sure it'd fit them all in a row in landscape. That and my desk is really small, so I don't have a lot of room.

Unless you have extra thick bezels I think you should be fine, but if your desk isn't very deep you might have issues: looks like the screens are pretty far forward of the base mount.

Jedi2016

About to start on my grand galactic adventure, except I'm not really going all that far yet (less than 1000ly). No idea how long it will take to make the round trip.. I spent about four hours mapping systems this morning, and I'm not even to the outer rim (of human habitation) yet!

Where to change the hud color?
You have to do it manually in the config files. It's rather complicated, you're better off just Googling it.

Nymerio

I ordered a T Flight Hotas X. I haven't played in a while and the main reason for that is because I can't be arsed to set up this logitech flight stick I have. There are too many cables to connect and it takes up too much space to keep it connected. Looking forward to playing this again.

red731

I ordered a T Flight Hotas X. I haven't played in a while and the main reason for that is because I can't be arsed to set up this logitech flight stick I have. There are too many cables to connect and it takes up too much space to keep it connected. Looking forward to playing this again.

If needed https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php?t=71532

Bought T Flight Hotas X for this game only. Using the setup above - only thing I've added was movement on the galaxy map.

Jedi2016

I spent the time to set it up in a way that made sense for me personally. It's more or less like most of the "custom" controls I've seen. Whatever I can't map to the HOTAS, I use VoiceAttack.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom