• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elite: Dangerous |OT| Every Man's Sky

Status
Not open for further replies.

Galactic Fork

A little fluff between the ears never did any harm...
My biggest question is about the piracy. This almost always translates to griefers. Are there appropriate risks involved? Piracy isn't supposed to be easy, or a fun way to piss people off.

Something like having assets frozen, so any form of digital currency is impossible. Making the need for pain in the butt ways to pay for things like ammo, or fuel or repairs. All wealth in physical anologs, being reduced to bartering with other less than respectable types.

This also means you'd have to hide your stash and hope nobody finds it while you're out pirating...

Second question is about exploring. How fast is interstellar travel? How far away can you detect planets and objects?

Burny

Saw that PVP Arena stuff on reddit. So many things I'd rather have them focusing on.

Disagree. It's desperately needed imho. Among other things of course, but it's exactly the kind of "repetitive" content that can create long term motivation to play the game. If they integrate that well into the game and tie rewards to the persistent universe this might really give the game some meat on its bones. I'm also all for arena like environments for (team-)deathmatches. Bounty hunting/pirating in the void may be realistic, but it doesn't make for varied environments or game mechanics.

I'm thinking of ingame combat leagues with tournamets and leaderboards. They could tie that back into the persitent universe using tournament winner titles, ingame credits, special "trophy" ship paints, tournament participation based on ships owned in the PU/ingame entry fees etc..

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
From what I understand it's just the UI that's changed

150% on Live Build = 100% on the Beta build.

Oh, I really like that change a lot then. It always seemed weird to me that 150% was the safe zone. Lots of good little changes coming in this patch.

Shifty76

Do we know the prices on the new ships, I hope the Fleur is less than a million credits.

Fer-de-lance is gonna be pricey I think. Strong shields and 4 med hardpoints + 1 huge? Plus it's always been a toy for the rich per game lore. I'd be amazed if it came in at under 50m.

Really excited for the update to go live for non-backer plebes. The Wings features have really stopped my friends from playing since it's so difficult to bounty hunt (or anything really) in groups atm.

The battle arena sounds like it could be fun. I'm all about PvP, but I'm wondering if it'll end up like the battle arena in Dark Souls. That was abandoned after a short while and people generally just PvP in environments in the game.

From what I understand it's just the UI that's changed

150% on Live Build = 100% on the Beta build.

Phew, I'm glad this is the case. I was worried that fuel scooping would turn into this annoying wave path to keep it under 100%. I generally get above 100% after only a few seconds of scooping.

Really excited for the update to go live for non-backer plebes. The Wings features have really stopped my friends from playing since it's so difficult to bounty hunt (or anything really) in groups atm.

Same. I have a friend who has had issues installing ED, and I haven't even bothered to help him until Wings is out, haha, because I know he'll want to play in a group.

Same. I have a friend who has had issues installing ED, and I haven't even bothered to help him until Wings is out, haha, because I know he'll want to play in a group.

Honestly I should've waited until the update to introduce them. "Transferring credits" by dropping off cargo left them (and myself really) with a bad taste. I've been telling them about this update though so they'll be back on board.

Commanders with a bounty in the Eravate area best watch themselves after 1.2! If you see a Viper with 3 basic Sidewinders in tow you know your reckoning has come.

Wings is a free update, right? I have all DLC included but my girlfriend hasn't. :)

1.2 looks awesome and wow @ the graphics in debug mode. I need to play this game without oculus I guess :D

bj00rn_

Banned
Heat Damage

Heat damage now damages modules when ship heat reaches 100%. Whilst heat remains above this value, modules may randomly suffer small amounts of damage every few seconds.
Should ship heat rise above 160%, the ship’s hull will start to lose integrity.
BE AWARE, when your WEP capacitor is low, more heat will bleed out from the weapon’s cooling loop and increase your ship’s temperature.

Oh ffs.. Why in the gods name was this even needed? What was so fucking important that Frontier just HAD TO make fuel scooping even more inconvenient. Also, I always get interdicted when fuelscooping when having cargo, with heat damage above 100% that means my ship will get damaged very quickly, and combined with the ASP maintenance cost I guess I can kiss exploring goodbye.

Hylian7

Are all those combat zones quite common like they are in that video?

I have NEVER seen that many ships in one place. Where can I find places like this?

Wreav

Banned
Oh ffs.. Why in the gods name was this even needed? What was so fucking important that Frontier just HAD TO make fuel scooping even more inconvenient. Also, I always get interdicted when fuelscooping when having cargo, with heat damage above 100% and the ASP maintenance cost I guess I can kiss exploring goodbye.

Because it SHOULD be somewhat dangerous and inconvenient to lean on a free, limitless fuel supply. Get over it, ya filthy casuals.

Oh ffs.. Why in the gods name was this even needed? What was so fucking important that Frontier just HAD TO make fuel scooping even more inconvenient. Also, I always get interdicted when fuelscooping when having cargo, with heat damage above 100% that means my ship will get damaged very quickly, and combined with the ASP maintenance cost I guess I can kiss exploring goodbye.

Someone pointed this out above, but it's just an interface change. Think of the new 100% as the old 150%.

Edit:

Did you guys see this? http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1003969

Elite Dangerous for Xbox One. Kinda bummed it's debuting on XB1 but I'm glad it's at least coming to consoles period.

Portman

The game is coming to Xbox One, Phil Spencer just announced at GDC

Just saw that and my first reaction was: how?!?!

Seriously not trying to start a whole platform war but after playing it on the PC I want to see how they will adapt it to work. Hopefully we will get some behind the scenes stuff on the process. I will take a guess that some stuff we are used to doing manually on the PC will be automated.

Seriously not trying to start a whole platform war but after playing it on the PC I want to see how they will adapt it to work. Hopefully we will get some behind the scenes stuff on the process. I will take a guess that some stuff we are used to doing manually on the PC will be automated.

Might be a reason to actually use a Kinect.

Computer, power to shields!

Wreav

Banned

Two words: voice commands.

Faith

Hmmm, I'm asking myself if there will be crossplay.

I’m also pleased to announce PC, Mac and Xbox One players will all share the same overarching narrative and galaxy state. That means even more players contributing to the wars, power struggles and Community Goals across the galaxy.
It isn't that clear.

owlbeak

Would love to share a world with people playing with controllers whilst flying circles around them with a HOTAS and head tracking. :D Easy money.

Hylian7

Looking at more it doesn't mean the PC players can go gun down the Xbone players, just means that any strife caused by whatever quests or bounties you hunt will persist in both versions. Sort of like how playing Single player still techincally affects everyoen else.

Portman

Two words: voice commands.

I can't believe I didn't think of that. Especially since I just bought a Kinect off of a friend to test out. This could be the game that justifies having the Kinect or at least makes the game a lot easier to play.

Hopefully the new development brings in more money to Frontier. As I mentioned in the Xbox announcement thread I don't see it impacting the PC due to the certification process on consoles vs the ease of betas and feedback on the PC.

If they do a cross play setup that will be interesting to see. I was thinking how crazy it would be with people using full controller setups (joystick, pedals, throttle, keyboard) vs a gamepad and (potential) Kinect. More players are good regardless though, can't wait to watch outside the starting areas when it releases if it ends up being the same server!

Wreav

Banned
I've been playing it with a 360 controller. Because you can use button combinations, you can fit every function to a controller.

I'm aware, said the same thing in the other thread, but voice commands are GOAT. PC users have been using voice attack with great results.

Can't the Kinect do head tracking, too? Not sure how reliable it is, though...I wonder if they could release a proprietary tracking device (a hat or something to clip onto a headset) to help.

DrBo42

Hmm. I guess the game sold rather poorly on PC if they're making a console deal before a single expansion. Hate that they have to devote resources to a port rather than finish the game or at least make more meaningful content (after Wings of course).

Wreav

Banned
Hmm. I guess the game sold rather poorly on PC if they're making a console deal before a single expansion. Hate that they have to devote resources to a port rather than finish the game or at least make more meaningful content (after Wings of course).

Wider install base = more revenue per expansion

Makes perfect sense to me.

DrBo42

Wider install base = more revenue per expansion

Makes perfect sense to me.

I'm not saying it doesn't make sense in the long run, it just has the possibility of fucking us in terms of feature roll-out if they're devoting resources to the port now. Meaning we may have to wait longer for EXP 1 or wait for a simultaneous release across all platforms.

Buggy Loop

Gold Member
I'm not saying it doesn't make sense in the long run, it just has the possibility of fucking us in terms of feature roll-out if they're devoting resources to the port now. Meaning we may have to wait longer for EXP 1 or wait for a simultaneous release across all platforms.

Meh, the platforms are so freaking similar now, its a non issue. Its rather the opposite, the money generated by the console version will likely speed up the features.

Wreav

Banned
Plus they have significantly grown their development team over the last 2 months.

So far FD has delivered what they've said they would 99% of the time, I have faith.

GeoGonzo

Great news for the Xbone. Phil Spencer still doing good work.

And I don't see this a sign of bad sales in the least, they've been recruiting people for months and this was probably their plan all along.

Also, two shots with the debug camera:

hk4baQM.jpg
hyFr9Mf.jpg

Disagree. It's desperately needed imho. Among other things of course, but it's exactly the kind of "repetitive" content that can create long term motivation to play the game. If they integrate that well into the game and tie rewards to the persistent universe this might really give the game some meat on its bones. I'm also all for arena like environments for (team-)deathmatches. Bounty hunting/pirating in the void may be realistic, but it doesn't make for varied environments or game mechanics.

I'm thinking of ingame combat leagues with tournamets and leaderboards. They could tie that back into the persitent universe using tournament winner titles, ingame credits, special "trophy" ship paints, tournament participation based on ships owned in the PU/ingame entry fees etc..

I see your points. And I understand the want. I just was hoping PVP wasn't any focus of this game, let alone some Arena COD deathmatch bullshit. I see the appeal of those games, I would just rather the people that want those go play them and FD focus on PVE content and putting some more 'meat' on these bones.

But I doubt it, they don't seem focused on that type of stuff from the past 6 months ... I actually have shelved the game and plan to come back in a few months. I'll still use it as my goto DK2 showpiece, but that's about it. There just isn't anything for me in the game right now. Even tried exploring and it really is just the same stuff over and over. I was just hoping we'd see more content by now almost 3 months out since launch and a LOT longer including betas. It still feels like the same game I played in September.

Great bones, but a dog can only chew on a bone for so long before he has to eat.

kvk1

Also, two shots with the debug camera:

So pretty.

I discovered this game around the same time I got into reading The Expanse series of sci-fi books.

The way the two jive in my mind provides me kid like joy at times. I get flashbacks to the game when I'm reading the book, and the book when I'm playing the game.

It's awesome.

RK9039

I don't have the beta, but do all ships only cost 100 CR in beta so everyone can try them, or will the Vulture actually be that cheap?

Nah, I think once you get the Elite rank the ships can be heavily discounted at certain docks.

I see that guy has a lot of credits.

AJLma

Vulture with a C3 Burst Laser and C3 Rail Gun sounds like fun.

EDIT: Damn it's slow though, it'll be a terrifying ship to encounter if you're in anything besides a Cobra or Viper.

Burny

I see your points. And I understand the want. I just was hoping PVP wasn't any focus of this game, let alone some Arena COD deathmatch bullshit. I see the appeal of those games, I would just rather the people that want those go play them and FD focus on PVE content and putting some more 'meat' on these bones.

But I doubt it, they don't seem focused on that type of stuff from the past 6 months ... I actually have shelved the game and plan to come back in a few months. I'll still use it as my goto DK2 showpiece, but that's about it. There just isn't anything for me in the game right now. Even tried exploring and it really is just the same stuff over and over. I was just hoping we'd see more content by now almost 3 months out since launch and a LOT longer including betas. It still feels like the same game I played in September.

I understand your frustration if you're in it for the PvE. The repetitive nature of the core game mechanics is clear.y visible. But you hope that this game will be focused might be focusing on PvE over PvP seems moot to me.

Granted, I didn't follow it through the crowdfunding and pre-release process at all, but it's a game with spaceships that have guns on it. Even the original Elite had piracy and combat beside trading and fairly little story, as far as I can tell. Put it in a multiplayer context and that screams for player confrontation. PvP arena matches are a relatively "inexpensive" way to add a lot of that to the game without the permanent fear (hopefully) to lose your big ships you've had to earn during weeks of playtime. Given that they are not using an MMO server infrastructure and limit wings to 4 players, it might even allow them to do things that aren't possible in the PU - e.g. 8v8 battles.

I fully agree that extended PvE is also desperately needed, but I suspect that PvP arena battles provide more replayability with less development effort, than well designed missions. Which are only new and exciting so many times and require more designing.

I also don't see the need to resort to polemic labelling along the lines of "Arena COD deathmatch bullshit". Deathmatch games have been around in all kinds of variations before and will probably be around long after CoD. It's an incredibly popular and also valid design. Elite is broad enough and different enough to CoD to cater to a lot of players and if it's FD's decision to concentrate on PvP first or above PvE, that is a valid decision, even if you're disappointed with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom