• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elite: Dangerous |OT| Every Man's Sky

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm looking for stuff to do to add some variety and I wanted to ask about conflict zones. I have seen some low and high intensity ones a few areas away and I was debating on going to investigate in my Cobra but I was going to check to see if I was setting myself up for failure or fun first. Even if it doesn't provide a lot of income compared to random bounty hunting I figured it would be something fun to do for a bit if I wasn't outmatched. I've seen it mentioned that ships aren't worth much kill claim or whatever it is called so I'm not going into it for tons of money but for the fun.

It depends, really. Pythons pay out something like 13k apiece, I believe, while most other ships are less. Most factions will give you a "kill 4-7 enemies" mission for war zones that pay out 15k.

At the very least, it's a good place to hone your skills and practice multi-ship combat (and "tactical retreat", haha). If you're lucky, a capital ship will show up. I think you can get like 50k if you force one to retreat...Never done it myself but thought I read that on reddit.

I feel like conflict zones will be a different beast when Wings are out, especially in Open Play. 1.2 also makes it so that, if you attack a Wanted ship and the ship's friends are around (not necessarily a Wing, but from the same faction), they may attack you, too.

Newsletter peak of the week: Imperial Courier cockpit:

peek_of_the_week.jpg

kvk1

Don't even get me started on the Federation. Oh no! I killed a few wanted citizens and now everyone hates me. If you didn't want them dead you shouldn't put a damn bounty on them!

!

Please do not disparage the reputation of Space Amer, I mean, Federation, CMDR.

kvk1

Yup. I'll take a Deadly Lunchbox over a Space Dildo any day of the week!

I don't know where it's going to stack up rank/strength wise among the Faction ships, but the Corvette should be a nice little "fuck yeah" in the galaxy in terms of Federation fleet strength.

!

Please do not disparage the reputation of Space Amer, I mean, Federation, CMDR.

I'm just saying! I think Federation citizens are directing their hatred in the wrong direction. Sure I'm killing their friends and allies, but I didn't put those bounties on them. Don't hate the player, hate the game.

Would you guys like cross-play from PC to Xbox One?

Of course! More players is always better. Some people might talk about the advantage HOTAS on PC have over controllers on Xbox, but I play with a controller and haven't had much issue.

Agree with Sugar on shared accounts. I have a feeling more of my friends will play on PS4 (whenever that comes out) and I'd rather not start from scratch when I join them. I don't see why this wouldn't be possible.

Doesn't sound like either option will be possible, really.

Elite: Dangerous is coming to consoles; first to Microsoft's one, and then later to Sony's one. Given that it's already on PC, why should you care? Well, it's possible that you're wondering if you could one day fly alongside—or just kill—those console owning pilots.

According to Frontier's David Braben, while he likes the idea of cross-play between PC and consoles, there is one significant problem that stands in the way.

"I think the challenges for us, which sort of fights against it," Braben told PCGamesN, "is we’ve also said that we’ll continue to do updates across all platforms, and what we didn’t want was PC updates to be held up for whatever reason, like if there’s a delay on another platform."

Basically, console patches require certification—essentially the approval of the platform owner—and that means they can't be released as frequently as on the PC. Either different systems run different versions, or PC patching gets held up by the consoles—something that, for obvious reasons, Frontier doesn't want to do.
Nevertheless, despite the lack of cross-platform play, PC and console pilots will use the same simulation. "What we’ve said for definite is that they will be playing in the same world," Braben said, "the same background sim will be effecting the same stock markets and stuff like that. I would like to see cross-play as well. There’s nothing presenting it technically, other than that the worlds might be slightly out of sync."

Patch certification will likely prevent cross-play, and worlds being even slightly out of sync would probably prevent shared accounts.

Hylian7

Lets be honest, I think we can all agree that the PC players with proper HOTAS and headtracking will easily wreck the console players with just a controller, and they will complain about it being unfair. Using just a console controller is straight up inferior and offers you nowhere near the degree of control necessary. Good luck flying without flight assist on a controller.

Not if it means I need to create an Xbox Gamertag.

xX_SINNAH_69_Xx

Super lame. I figured cross-play was out, but no cross-save? That's really disappointing.

To be clear, I'm just making an assumption that cross-saves won't be possible. It sounds like the patch certification process (i.e., PC patches will not be delayed but console may) could cause world desync, which probably makes cross-save impossible.

Lets be honest, I think we can all agree that the PC players with proper HOTAS and headtracking will easily wreck the console players with just a controller, and they will complain about it being unfair. Using just a console controller is straight up inferior and offers you nowhere near the degree of control necessary. Good luck flying without flight assist on a controller.

There are apparently some baller gamepad CMDRs out there, so I don't know.

Headtracking, theoretically, is easy to do. Kinect can do IR tracking easily, right? Combine that with Kinect voice commands and it actually sounds like a pretty cool alternative to PC>

To be clear, I'm just making an assumption that cross-saves won't be possible. It sounds like the patch certification process (i.e., PC patches will not be delayed but console may) could cause world desync, which probably makes cross-save impossible.

It's a reasonable assumption to make. I thought the same thing after reading that.

I bet you've already gotten wrecked by a controller player and didn't realize it.

Hylian7

It's a reasonable assumption to make. I thought the same thing after reading that.

I bet you've already gotten wrecked by a controller player and didn't realize it.

I haven't died to a single player yet
I haven't see any in a long time and I'm playing Open Play, I dunno if I just hang in the wrong systems or what.

Repo Man

Righto... complete newbie to the game, bought it because the videos looked neat and I wanted something entirely different to sink my teeth into. So far I love the game but I keep running into some issues that I'd like some help with.

If I'm at a station and accept a simpl'ish delivery boy mission from the bulletin board, how can I tell if I can dock at the destination station or not ? I keep getting missions which I have to abandon because for some reason I cannot dock with the destination station even though I'm at the right distance. If its due to the lack of faction reputation or something then at least you'd think the mission was displayed as unavailable surely ? Could it be because I haven't paid some fines ? I just don't know because the game refuses to tell me.

The other issue I have is a bit more of a personal gripe or perhaps I'm missing something but again when I accept a mission from the board, why is there not an option to set the destination from the mission description ? To a certain degree I just about get that some people like using traditional pen & paper but having to write down a location and then going to the galaxy map and typing in LTF 178-4429QARTOODEETOOSARCASM just to get a bearing is not very good game design in this day and age. Unless, again, I'm missing something here... a lot of the tutorials are rather vague in places.

Righto... complete newbie to the game, bought it because the videos looked neat and I wanted something entirely different to sink my teeth into. So far I love the game but I keep running into some issues that I'd like some help with.

If I'm at a station and accept a simpl'ish delivery boy mission from the bulletin board, how can I tell if I can dock at the destination station or not ? I keep getting missions which I have to abandon because for some reason I cannot dock with the destination station even though I'm at the right distance. If its due to the lack of faction reputation or something then at least you'd think the mission was displayed as unavailable surely ? Could it be because I haven't paid some fines ? I just don't know because the game refuses to tell me.

The other issue I have is a bit more of a personal gripe or perhaps I'm missing something but again when I accept a mission from the board, why is there not an option to set the destination from the mission description ? To a certain degree I just about get that some people like using traditional pen & paper but having to write down a location and then going to the galaxy map and typing in LTF 178-4429QARTOODEETOOSARCASM just to get a bearing is not very good game design in this day and age. Unless, again, I'm missing something here... a lot of the tutorials are rather vague in places.

You're requesting docking permission, right? Other than that, the only reason you can't dock (I think) is if all the docking pads are in use, which is rare.

As for the locations, I kinda understand, but it's never been an issue for me. The systems I've been hanging out in typically have names, so that's not much of an issue for me...but it would be nice to set the destination right there, yeah.

Repo Man

You're requesting docking permission, right? Other than that, the only reason you can't dock (I think) is if all the docking pads are in use, which is rare.

Hmm, never considered this, next time it happens I'll try and be persistent and see what occurs. Thanks.

[Edit] and yes, I've requested permission.

Hmm, never considered this, next time it happens I'll try and be persistent and see what occurs. Thanks.

[Edit] and yes, I've requested permission.

Yeah, some of the busier stations can get hard to dock at. If I ever get denied I usually just try again every few seconds until a dock opens up. I've never had to wait too long.

Repo Man

Yeah, some of the busier stations can get hard to dock at. If I ever get denied I usually just try again every few seconds until a dock opens up. I've never had to wait too long.

Ok good to know... still, I find myself wondering why can't the game just drop me a line that says "Docking request denied ( too much traffic, please wait a moment! ). I'm not a game dev but surely that can't be too much to ask ?

Shifty76

Ok good to know... still, I find myself wondering why can't the game just drop me a line that says "Docking request denied ( too much traffic, please wait a moment! ). I'm not a game dev but surely that can't be too much to ask ?
Patch 1.2 supposedly gives the reason why you were denied docking. You are within 7.5km when requesting to dock right?

If you get sick of waiting you can also switch to solo mode, dock, then switch back to open.

Jedi2016

My Asp cost around 12 million, without the Class A FSD. It's around 1.75-2M just for the scanning equipment. Most everything else is Class C in mine. It's also rigged for combat, so it's got full weapons, big shields, and a shield booster in addition to the scanning equipment.

I don't think a huge FSD is really necessary for general exploration if you're actually mapping everything. I'm using the "economical route" and mapping every single system I stop at, so I rarely jump further than 4-5ly. The top-of-the-line FSD isn't really necessary (IMO) unless you have a specific goal in mind that's ridiculously far away and you won't be stopping for anything on the way there. Even with "only" a Class-C FSD, I still get almost 20ly jump range, which is further than my Type-6 I use for trading, and that can actually use longer jump ranges more effectively.

DrBo42

Yeah that's true. When I went out, I went with the Class A to get to specific nebulas. You could go barebones from 12-15 mil.

Kiyoshi

The game has always given you the reason for a refused docking request. The text shows in the top left of the HUD. It's not immediately obvious though, like many systems in the game.

DrBo42

Okay have 60 million in assets now. Should I dump the T7 for a Python or grind another 20 million and switch to a T9? Would be nice to have a T9 as a dedicated trade ship and then farm with that for a whole fleet. What's the usual income per hour with the T9, 5 mil?

GeoGonzo

Okay have 60 million in assets now. Should I dump the T7 for a Python or grind another 20 million and switch to a T9? Would be nice to have a T9 as a dedicated trade ship and then farm with that for a whole fleet. What's the usual income per hour with the T9, 5 mil?
I remember running the numbers when I was flying a T7 and it was worth switching to the Python: the extra speed, cargo and access to outposts more than allowed you to make back the 5M you "waste" by selling it later.

Do remember to keep enough money to pay for a full cargo + insurance before buying it, though.

DrBo42

I remember running the numbers when I was flying a T7 and it was worth switching to the Python: the extra speed, cargo and access to outposts more than allowed you to make back the 5M you "waste" by selling it later.

Do remember to keep enough money to pay for a full cargo + insurance before buying it, though.

Cheers.

Shifty76

I'm in a similar position. I heard 78m was a good number to be at before upgrading to python though so I'm grinding out the last 10m.

I had my first run in with a player pirate. He was quite reasonable. Just 25T of Performance Enhancers for my life. Ha. He was honorable, though.

jogu

Is there an easier way to find stations which sell certain outfit parts than checking every station manually or searching for old forum/Wiki posts?

I don't think so. Hopefully, it will be available when they release the API. This is the first time I maybe inspired to actually write an application to connect to one of these gaming APIs.

Shifty76

Is there an easier way to find stations which sell certain outfit parts than checking every station manually or searching for old forum/Wiki posts?

Large population high tech stations are always your best bet for outfitting - they generally have the most parts.

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness

The Steam controller will do quite a bit to level the playing field there too. Better precision and a couple of extra inputs on the grips for that last axis that wouldn't fit anywhere on a 360 controller.

All of the ships are pretty big.

This shot from the E3 trailer shows the "little" Cobra compared to a person.
p1NHz8P.jpg

I was surprised to see how tiny the seats in the cockpits are when you look into the front canopy. I'm so glad they added the debug camera.

RK9039

Yeah you can't really tell just how big these ships are from the cockpit. I think when we can get out of our ships eventually it's going to be a great feeling. Getting up from the pilot's seat and walking about, alone, is going make us understand how big these ships are.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom