• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elite: Dangerous |OT| Every Man's Sky

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hylian7

For what relevance it has in here, Star Citizen has apparently a trial period on the Arena combat module til March 15. I'm curious about it so I'm going to give it a whirl.

Honestly though, I expect Elite will still outshine Star Citizen at the end of the day. What is the general concensus on SC for you guys?

GeoGonzo

For what relevance it has in here, Star Citizen has apparently a trial period on the Arena combat module til March 15. I'm curious about it so I'm going to give it a whirl.

Honestly though, I expect Elite will still outshine Star Citizen at the end of the day. What is the general concensus on SC for you guys?
I have some money in SC (more like $300 actually) so I do hope it turns out okay... but:
-I hate the UI and sounds in general.
-I tried watching a stream and almost literally fell asleep. This coming from an elite dangerous trader, watching star citizen combat. I could watch Elite for hours but SC? Nope.
-I haven't touched the client in months, waiting for some more content before giving it another go.

RK9039

I really like Elite Dangerous, but I have a feeling Star Citizen is going to be a better game in every way (it's going to have more content on day one, that's for sure). I have both games, well SC isn't much of a game yet, and plan on playing both.

Darklord

Banned

Elite lacks a lot of content though. As much as I want to love it, it just feels so bare bones. Star Citizen is gigantic with a budget bigger than most AAA titles. It's hard to compare.

Sarcasm

Just played Star Citizen. Was able to get in and get to wave 4.

Not going to say much since it is only access to free fly and arena.

DrBo42

Elite lacks a lot of content though. As much as I want to love it, it just feels so bare bones. Star Citizen is gigantic with a budget bigger than most AAA titles. It's hard to compare.

Yeah, FD really needs to get in gear. Wings is a great step forward but honestly should have been something they launched with.

Jedi2016

SC lacks the scope, though; that free roaming do whatever, wherever you want thing. They're not even remotely doing the same thing, and I'm sure SC will be great for the people who complain that Elite has "nothing to do".

RK9039

SC lacks the scope, though; that free roaming do whatever, wherever you want thing. They're not even remotely doing the same thing, and I'm sure SC will be great for the people who complain that Elite has "nothing to do".

I agree to some degree.

Elite has scale, it's probably the biggest game size-wise (I think? I don't know any other game this big). But as others have said it lacks any meaningful content right now. You can trade (my favourite), be a pirate, do some bounty hunting and also some exploration (which is really basic, fly into a system and do some scanning?), that's about it for now. All of these things get very tedious. I love playing the game but I can only manage an hour or two before I start playing something else.

SC basically does what Elite does, that do whatever you want and go where ever you want (it definitely won't have the same scale as Elite), hell you can be a space medic in that game, then there's apparently so much do it in according to all the modules they're releasing.

Jedi2016

I agree to some degree.

Elite has scale, it's probably the biggest game size-wise (I think? I don't know any other game this big). But as others have said it lacks any meaningful content. You can trade (my favourite), be a pirate, do some bounty hunting and also some exploration (which is really basic, fly into a system and do some scanning?), that's about it for now.
Depends on what you define as "meaningful content". For a game that has nothing to do, I've put a ridiculous amount of time into it, and I'm going to continue to do so for the foreseeable future, because I haven't yet met the goals that I've set for myself.

AJLma

Outside camera tour of the Imperial Clipper.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FrsVDRWZ1EQ

I love these videos. The detail that's present on these ships is amazing for a game that isn't planning to let you walk around them like that for 6+ months.

I have SC as well, and of course it lets you do the same thing, but there's something about the designs, lighting and texture work in Elite that makes everything seem so much more... tangible.

RK9039

Depends on what you define as "meaningful content". For a game that has nothing to do, I've put a ridiculous amount of time into it, and I'm going to continue to do so for the foreseeable future, because I haven't yet met the goals that I've set for myself.

Well I'm in the same boat as you, my goal is to have 20 Anacondas. And you're right, meaningful content does depend on how you define it. But most people who have played this game have all said it's a bit 'bare bones' right now, and others have said this game will be amazing six or so months down the line (I think some reviews pointed that out).

I don't believe the game has nothing to do, because it clearly does, anyone who says that hasn't played the game. I didn't spend many hours in this game just staring at my characters hands, I only spent a few hours doing that.

I get the complaints. I think the flying is damn good, the combat is mechanically very fun (AI needs a lot of work, though) and the galaxy and sense of scale are incredible. That keeps me coming back but the other aspects, mission structure, mining, random encounters, earning potential outside of trading are in need of serious fleshing out.

At the same time, I can't realistic see content patches releasing much faster. A significant patch last month and an even more significant content patch this month.

You can make the argument that may be these should have been in the initial release but where does that realistically get us? The official release would have been delayed and the game would probably be in the same or similar state but be called a beta with an impending wipe.

RK9039

I get the complaints. I think the flying is damn good, the combat is mechanically very fun (AI needs a lot of work, though) and the galaxy and sense of scale is incredible. That keeps me coming back but the other aspects, mission structure, mining, random encounters, earning potential outside of trading are in need of serious fleshing out.

At the same time, I can't realistic see content patches releasing much faster. A significant patch last month and an even more significant content patch this month.

You can make the argument that may be these should have been in the initial release but where does that realistically get us? The official release would have been delayed and the game would probably be in the same or similar state but be called a beta with an impending wipe.

100% right.

I think they set out to make a very solid ship fighting game, and they have done exactly that. I much prefer the ship movement and combat of Elite Dangerous when compared to SC in it's current state. Obviously it does have other cool things but I think for most people it's the combat they keep coming back to. I'm pretty sure their plan all along was to release it like this and then later on add those big content updates/expansions that will allow us to do much more in the game like landing on planets, fps combat/zero gravity and more.

I'm okay with that because the game right now is still good, and it's going to get even better.

Jedi2016

The thing I like the most about E:D is the freedom of choice. For example, combat isn't my main goal. Hell, only one of my three ships is even equipped with weapons, and that's mainly for the purpose of defense while doing other things than it is with making it a primary goal. That particular ship (my Asp) is kitted for exploration above all else. I'd just rather putz around and look at the pretty stars and planets.

But if you interdict me, I will wreck your shit.. hehe.

The thing I like the most about E:D is the freedom of choice. For example, combat isn't my main goal. Hell, only one of my three ships is even equipped with weapons, and that's mainly for the purpose of defense while doing other things than it is with making it a primary goal. That particular ship (my Asp) is kitted for exploration above all else. I'd just rather putz around and look at the pretty stars and planets.

But if you interdict me, I will wreck your shit.. hehe.

This makes me excited to play this game- the choice to do what you want. So glad this is coming to the Xbone!

I don't know what they've done but I only have time for quick dips to do a few missions here and there and the ones I'm doing are just black box or rebel transmissions ones. Sometimes a bit of trading if I have the time. But The past 3 times I've gone on I've been interdicted way too many times and almost died when I've failed. Never happened before but it's just so damn annoying. Can't even go from one system to the next without getting interdicted!

Buggy Loop

Gold Member
I have some money in SC (more like $300 actually) so I do hope it turns out okay... but:
-I hate the UI and sounds in general.
-I tried watching a stream and almost literally fell asleep. This coming from an elite dangerous trader, watching star citizen combat. I could watch Elite for hours but SC? Nope.
-I haven't touched the client in months, waiting for some more content before giving it another go.

I so agree with the UI. I dont know if its been completely overhauled but oh my god, how could they seriously think it was ready to be showcased? The in-ship UI is some of the worst game design i've seen in a long time.

Hylian7

I tried SC briefly....I am most certainly not impressed. Granted I know it isn't a finished game, but I don't like what I see.

- The UI from in the ship and in general of the game is way to "HEY WE'RE IN SPACE, SPACE, SPACE, SPACE! LETS THROW A COMPUTER VOICE THAT NARRATES EVERYTHING." I don't like it, it rubs me the wrong way, but maybe it's a matter of personal taste.

- The flight model feels arcadey as all hell to me, and I do not like it. There is like, no resistance to the controls at all. From a dead stop you can pretty much do a 180 so damn quick. I know they explain this with the thrusters, but this is a MASSIVE FUCKING SPACESHIP, not a bird in the sky.

- It doesn't perform too well on my box either, but that isn't really fair criticism as the game is still a long way from release.

All in all, I wlll still keep an eye on it, but so far it doesn't hold a candle to Elite in my book.

Other thought: Why is the default controls for a HOTAS have the Z-axis on roll and the X-axis on yaw? Seems really illogical to me.

Crispy75

Other thought: Why is the default controls for a HOTAS have the Z-axis on roll and the X-axis on yaw? Seems really illogical to me.

Those are the "traditional" space sim controls. The way Elite does it - pitching faster than yaw, and all rotations being slower with increased velocity - is a deliberate design to make it feel more like flying a plane. Therefore, roll is more important in Elite, because you want to get your pitch plane aligned with your target in order to rotate towards it faster.

In SC (and Wing Commander and Xwing before it), pitch and yaw are of equal importance, and it's completely arbitrary which direction you turn onto your target. Roll is only really of any use to orient yourself relative to another ship, or present a certain side of your ship to a target.

Dogfights in space are completely nonsensical anyway, but the SC way is more "realistic"

Jedi2016

Does the capacity of the power plant affect weapon heat buildup & recharge? I'm switching my Asp over to beam lasers, and I'm trying to see if I can offset the increased power draw. I've already got a Class A power distributor, but does the power plant itself have any effect (before I spent millions of credits on it)?

GeoGonzo

Does the capacity of the power plant affect weapon heat buildup & recharge? I'm switching my Asp over to beam lasers, and I'm trying to see if I can offset the increased power draw. I've already got a Class A power distributor, but does the power plant itself have any effect (before I spent millions of credits on it)?

Nope, zero effect on that. A larger power plant only allows you to run more energy hungry weapons/systems (plus higher integrity/hitpoints on the subsystem). Recharge only depends on the distributor, while heat buildup since 1.1 is also affected by how hot your weapon is while it shoots (so sustained beams get very hot, very fast).

Jedi2016

Nope, zero effect on that. A larger power plant only allows you to run more energy hungry weapons/systems (plus higher integrity/hitpoints on the subsystem). Recharge only depends on the distributor, while heat buildup since 1.1 is also affected by how hot your weapon is while it shoots (so sustained beams get very hot, very fast).
Yeah, I might have to revisit my weapon decisions. I can melt even a full shield in seconds, but then I'm pushing heat limits actually going in for the kill. But kinetic weapons are more or less out due to exploration.. so many interdictions and pirates in the anarchy systems I was simply running out of ammo, that's why I came back to switch out for lasers.

GeoGonzo

Yeah, I might have to revisit my weapon decisions. I can melt even a full shield in seconds, but then I'm pushing heat limits actually going in for the kill. But kinetic weapons are more or less out due to exploration.. so many interdictions and pirates in the anarchy systems I was simply running out of ammo, that's why I came back to switch out for lasers.
Well, you may already know this but you'll stop finding pirates (or anyone else) if you go far enough from populated systems. But yeah, for exploring and your Asp all energy weapons is a reasonable and afaik popular choice. If your energy is drained too fast shooting beams maybe consider burst for the small hardpoints or pulse for the medium ones.

Agremont

I tried SC briefly....I am most certainly not impressed. Granted I know it isn't a finished game, but I don't like what I see.
- The flight model feels arcadey as all hell to me, and I do not like it. There is like, no resistance to the controls at all. From a dead stop you can pretty much do a 180 so damn quick. I know they explain this with the thrusters, but this is a MASSIVE FUCKING SPACESHIP, not a bird in the sky.

-

To be fair Elites flight model makes very little sense. Basically flies like a plane. It's made that way for gameplay purposes though so it's fine. Just not very realistic.

SC model makes sense in some ways but have it's own problems with realism. Like the crazy power of the manouvering thrusters.

Klyka

Banned
Honestly, i just hate the constant joystick in your view in the cockpit that jerks around like mad whenever you do anything.
It looks horrible and distracts the eye constantly.

Jedi2016

Honestly, i just hate the constant joystick in your view in the cockpit that jerks around like mad whenever you do anything.
It looks horrible and distracts the eye constantly.
I can't even see the stick unless I actually look down at it, it's not normally in the field of view.

The flight model makes sense to me, at any rate, I don't have any issues with it.
(<--- has actually flown a plane)

Gonzo: Yeah, I know I'll stop running into people, but I was running short of ammo before I even hit that point, and I knew I'd hit it again on the way back, so I blitzed back to civilization to swap out weapons before I got too far out. I plan on picking up where I left off once I figure out my loadout. I did manage to get two or three systems of "first discovery", though, even not going that far.

I was always surprised how accurate the movement on the in game stick is. I can barely wiggle the base of my flight stick and the movement is right on.

Hylian7

Okay, I took a mission where they want me to liberate two slaves. I got two Imperial Slaves and brought them back to the appropriate station

ReDQL4S.png

ckG2wfX.png

Attempt to turn it in and.....

thOAaiV.png

What the fuck?!

Imperial Slaves=/=Slaves
Imperial slaves are more like Imperial Citizens who've sold themselves into long term work contracts to pay off debts rather than go through the shame of owing money. They have rights and aren't treated like animals. Something similar to Indentured Servants

Slaves are your standard slaves

TheTrain

Okay, I took a mission where they want me to liberate two slaves. I got two Imperial Slaves and brought them back to the appropriate station

ReDQL4S.png

ckG2wfX.png

Attempt to turn it in and.....

thOAaiV.png

What the fuck?!

Probably you need to stole those slaves

EDIT - Oh damn, James is right!

Hylian7

They aren't stolen, flew across the goddamn galaxy to buy them. Fucking hell, I took this quest two days ago and flew forever to do it. What fucking bullshit.

They aren't stolen, flew across the goddamn galaxy to buy them. Fucking hell, I took this quest two days ago and flew forever to do it. What fucking bullshit.

All that for a simple + 1 to rep and 0 credits? Even in the year 3315, If you're good at something, never do it for free

Klyka

Banned
I can't even see the stick unless I actually look down at it, it's not normally in the field of view.

The flight model makes sense to me, at any rate, I don't have any issues with it.
(<--- has actually flown a plane)

Gonzo: Yeah, I know I'll stop running into people, but I was running short of ammo before I even hit that point, and I knew I'd hit it again on the way back, so I blitzed back to civilization to swap out weapons before I got too far out. I plan on picking up where I left off once I figure out my loadout. I did manage to get two or three systems of "first discovery", though, even not going that far.

Constant? Not at all

I was totally talking about Star Citizen here, thinking I was in the Star Citizen thread.

Sorry, my mistake

Jedi2016

If your energy is drained too fast shooting beams maybe consider burst for the small hardpoints or pulse for the medium ones.
That was actually about all that was available at the High Tech station I went to for guns. On the one side, I got a BUNCH of money back.. beam lasers are expensive! I went ahead and upgraded to a Class-B power plant to give myself some more breathing room.

Then I went hunting... hehe. And man, it was a hot night at Jupiter! There must have been some kind of organized thing going on amongst the NPCs, a whole pack of wanted Cobras, that even came to each others' aid when one of them went down. I made about 170K in about twenty minutes, it was crazy! They just kept coming, even had to pop a couple of shield boosters when I was up against more than one. But in the end, they all got wrecked.

DEO3

I don't really understand the game progression after you've earned your first million.

I had been bounty hunting in a Viper, which was fun for a while, but began to get a little stale, so I bought a Type-6 to do some trading for a change. I found a pretty profitable trade route (greater than a million am hour), but to move on to anything else, I'm looking at another, like, twenty hours of trading? And then far more after that to get into one of the top tier sexy ships?

I guess i just don't really get why they're such a grind involved in what mine as well be a single player game.

Pomerlaw

I am an SC backer (basic Aurora package). The 1.1 AC patch was better, but right now it doesn't do it for me. I still have high hopes for the game, but something just doesn't feel right (flight model). Mouse players have an unfair advantage, it is more about point and click than flying. I will try it again when they introduce multi-crew!

Elite has a great flight model imo, but lacks content right now.

M. Brookes (Dev) said they are going to updgrade the missions system soon. It could be the next update which is titled "Powerplay".

owlbeak

Then I went hunting... hehe. And man, it was a hot night at Jupiter! There must have been some kind of organized thing going on amongst the NPCs, a whole pack of wanted Cobras, that even came to each others' aid when one of them went down. I made about 170K in about twenty minutes, it was crazy! They just kept coming, even had to pop a couple of shield boosters when I was up against more than one. But in the end, they all got wrecked.
Jupiter has the best RES I've found in the game. It's always full of high value bounty targets. You can make a lot of money in a short amount of time. I love it. :D

DrBo42

Jupiter has the best RES I've found in the game. It's always full of high value bounty targets. You can make a lot of money in a short amount of time. I love it. :D

How high are we talking? I've just checked two of them and it's only MK IIIs with around 17k. Not amazing but maybe I'm more used to the bounties from big game like condas. Haven't checked the one close to IO yet.

So... what is the best way to have a sol permit ? Just doing rep missions is gonna do it ?

Yep.

Portman

I don't really understand the game progression after you've earned your first million.

I had been bounty hunting in a Viper, which was fun for a while, but began to get a little stale, so I bought a Type-6 to do some trading for a change. I found a pretty profitable trade route (greater than a million am hour), but to move on to anything else, I'm looking at another, like, twenty hours of trading? And then far more after that to get into one of the top tier sexy ships?

I guess i just don't really get why they're such a grind involved in what mine as well be a single player game.

This is what I'm wondering too. I know that the game takes time to earn better ships and I'm not saying that I expect them to be given to me but it sure feels like the gaps between them aren't balanced or am I doing something wrong?

I have a Type-6 and I have tried some trading but I don't seem to be making that much. Is it just continuously trade until I finally get enough to afford a Type-7 and then keep going for the next thing (Type-9 or Python/Anaconda)? I went an tried out a conflict zone and while it was a nice change of pace it didn't seem like it was "making money" although I don't know if that is due to my lack of a decent ship or if I'm not comparing it to bounty hunting at RES correctly.

Does anyone have any tips or suggestions for making money? Or is it that I'm doing the right thing and just need to keep playing and try not to wear the game out? The only other thing I'm working towards is a Sol permit and Federation Dropship but I can't figure out how to gain rank.

bj00rn_

Banned
This is what I'm wondering too. I know that the game takes time to earn better ships and I'm not saying that I expect them to be given to me but it sure feels like the gaps between them aren't balanced or am I doing something wrong?

For balanced players there's a HUGE gap between the ships. The way it is now the game is in some ways forcing you to grind, which isn't always good thing.. They could solve that by having a lot more ships. Perhaps instead of just a couple of ships in a shipyard there should be 40-50.. Not just different types of ships, but also in different colors and configurations..

owlbeak

How high are we talking? I've just checked two of them and it's only MK IIIs with around 17k. Not amazing but maybe I'm more used to the bounties from big game like condas. Haven't checked the one close to IO yet.
The one closest to Io/Columbus Station is where I usually head, and there are generally a decent amount of 17k+ Bounties. Last week I killed (with the help of security forces) 8 Anacondas that each had 25-75k bounties. Decent amount of Asps with 20-22k bounties, and the occasional dropship or Type-7 with a significant bounty as well. Add into that the scooping of cargo (generally gold or palladium) dropped by these targets and you can make a lot of money quickly. I made 2 million in a little over an hour and a half last week.

My trick was when there was no good or high value bounties, just log off and log back in and it will start repopulating the area with different ships.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom