• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elite: Dangerous |OT| Every Man's Sky

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shifty76

Kornelius posted a vid on the Vulture.

I've never flown a ship with large hardpoints, but it looks pretty effective, even with his pulse lasers.

Nice, enjoy his vids. Large hardpoints are beastly. The two gimballed burst lasers on my clipper take python/anaconda shields down in around 10 secs and kill eagles etc from full shields to dead in ~5 secs

Didn't watch that vid yet but I would assume that the vulture hardpoints are fairly tight, allowing for fixed mounts so even more dmg.

@danj: Not in 1.2, no. Just Fer-de-lance and vulture for now. FDL looks sweet though. One huge hardpoint (in the dong position!) Plus 4 x med? Sign me up!

Wreav

Banned
Nope. and IMHO, the devs should have been workign to put it there before going to consoles. Stupid.

"Working" to put it on Steam?

You realize they are making 30% more per sale because they have their own store, right?

It's not a matter of they can't get it on Steam. They don't want it on Steam.

Gamer entitlement, man...

I understand your frustration if you're in it for the PvE. The repetitive nature of the core game mechanics is clear.y visible. But you hope that this game will be focused might be focusing on PvE over PvP seems moot to me.

Granted, I didn't follow it through the crowdfunding and pre-release process at all, but it's a game with spaceships that have guns on it. Even the original Elite had piracy and combat beside trading and fairly little story, as far as I can tell. Put it in a multiplayer context and that screams for player confrontation. PvP arena matches are a relatively "inexpensive" way to add a lot of that to the game without the permanent fear (hopefully) to lose your big ships you've had to earn during weeks of playtime. Given that they are not using an MMO server infrastructure and limit wings to 4 players, it might even allow them to do things that aren't possible in the PU - e.g. 8v8 battles.

I fully agree that extended PvE is also desperately needed, but I suspect that PvP arena battles provide more replayability with less development effort, than well designed missions. Which are only new and exciting so many times and require more designing.

I also don't see the need to resort to polemic labelling along the lines of "Arena COD deathmatch bullshit". Deathmatch games have been around in all kinds of variations before and will probably be around long after CoD. It's an incredibly popular and also valid design. Elite is broad enough and different enough to CoD to cater to a lot of players and if it's FD's decision to concentrate on PvP first or above PvE, that is a valid decision, even if you're disappointed with it.

This is our issue, THIS game, ELITE, wasn't supposed to be like this. I never expected it to be like this, the creator even said it wasn't supposed to be like this (player interaction would be rare) ... now it is exactly like I didn't think it would be.

Plus, it moves the focus of the game onto changing ships, balancing X because it can kill Y too fast. Changing Y because Z abuses it.

I'm not against DM or PVP. I played a lot of MMO's specifically for PVP and various other games over the decades I've been playing them dating back to Unreal and Quake. My point is that THIS GAME wasn't supposed to be like that. It's like when WoW changed the entire world by adding in instanced PVP. Some people liked it, I did at first but then you could only truly win with one specific build, the changes to your character happened faster than updates to the bugged instances due to exploits. Which in part was good but some things were changed and added to other roles because it was 'too good' for only one (Mortal Strike).

Like I said, I have no problem with those types of games and my earlier tone is only reflecting my frustration in hopes of having a really fleshed out PVE experience that I've spent a few hundred dollars on (X55, EDTracker, VoiceAttack, mounted on chair, a new mic, plus $75 for the beta buy-in, etc ... ) but now I see the focus is just another PVP game, but now in space.

I don't enjoy PVP much anymore unless it's just with friends and that's pretty rare these days with schedules. So I was hoping for a space game to get lost in, see some new things and just do a bunch of 'carebear' bullshit ... but they have barely touched the PVE aspect and it's been months since launch, and now with the XB1 focus I fear for the entire future of the PVE aspect. In fact 'fear' is the wrong word. I actually am just really disappointed and have shelved the game for now.

This is our issue, THIS game, ELITE, wasn't supposed to be like this. I never expected it to be like this, the creator even said it wasn't supposed to be like this (player interaction would be rare) ... now it is exactly like I didn't think it would be.

Plus, it moves the focus of the game onto changing ships, balancing X because it can kill Y too fast. Changing Y because Z abuses it.

I'm not against DM or PVP. I played a lot of MMO's specifically for PVP and various other games over the decades I've been playing them dating back to Unreal and Quake. My point is that THIS GAME wasn't supposed to be like that. It's like when WoW changed the entire world by adding in instanced PVP. Some people liked it, I did at first but then you could only truly win with one specific build, the changes to your character happened faster than updates to the bugged instances due to exploits. Which in part was good but some things were changed and added to other roles because it was 'too good' for only one (Mortal Strike).

Like I said, I have no problem with those types of games and my earlier tone is only reflecting my frustration in hopes of having a really fleshed out PVE experience that I've spent a few hundred dollars on (X55, EDTracker, VoiceAttack, mounted on chair, a new mic, plus $75 for the beta buy-in, etc ... ) but now I see the focus is just another PVP game, but now in space.

I don't enjoy PVP much anymore unless it's just with friends and that's pretty rare these days with schedules. So I was hoping for a space game to get lost in, see some new things and just do a bunch of 'carebear' bullshit ... but they have barely touched the PVE aspect and it's been months since launch, and now with the XB1 focus I fear for the entire future of the PVE aspect. In fact 'fear' is the wrong word. I actually am just really disappointed and have shelved the game for now.

I really don't think it's nearly the issue you perceive it to be... PvP isn't the focus of the game, and in fact seems like a very small part of it. They are just throwing PvP a bone, really.

Burny

I really understand your disappointment if that's what you were hoping for. You're not alone there and I'd be surprised if FD considered the PvE content/mission implementation to be good or extensive themselves.

The current update focus is what it is though and we don't know what they're doing in the background. Imo they're already moving at a brisk pace feature wise if arena matches will be included in 1.3 and it's only four (?) months after the "1.0" release. I'd be surprised if they added much substance to the PvE content (missions or campaign like things) before the first paid expansion... The time frame for this might well be a year or more if it is to be implemented at all.

At the moment it sounds like you should have a look at the Squadroon 42 campaign of Star Citizen once it's available or some of the X3 games (Terran Conflict/Albion Prelude) if you want to get some use out of your joystick/headtracking setup.

I'm back, sorry guys. I was... well on suspension from GAF as you may have noticed. Then I was just busy, but I'll be updating the OT here soon. I have a lot of catching up to do. I also haven't been playing too much lately so if you guys want to PM me and links info you guys think is pertinent. Well I would appreciate it.

Lime

Has there been more explicit gameplay objectives than simply accruing money? I stopped playing in December/January because I got burned out from not accomplishing much. I loved the exploration and the overwhelming scope, but the lack of any clear progression or goals killed me.

DrBo42

Has there been more explicit gameplay objectives than simply accruing money? I stopped playing in December/January because I got burned out from not accomplishing much. I loved the exploration and the overwhelming scope, but the lack of any clear progression or goals killed me.

No change on that front. I don't think they've expressed any intent on remedying that problem. The whole "it's a sandbox! make your OWN fun!" angle is infuriating when there's not enough tools or variety to do so. /rant

Edit: You can rank up in the factions (Empire, Feds, Alliance) but it doesn't mean anything other than access to locked ships or systems. The permit systems don't offer anything special or new to make it worth it.

GeoGonzo

I'm back, sorry guys. I was... well on suspension from GAF as you may have noticed. Then I was just busy, but I'll be updating the OT here soon. I have a lot of catching up to do. I also haven't been playing too much lately so if you guys want to PM me and links info you guys think is pertinent. Well I would appreciate it.
Welcome back! No suggestions on what to update on the OT, though... I mean you could add new ships and such but at that point it starts to become less an introduction to the game and more of a wiki entry, which is kind of weird.

DrBo42

I just jumped into a Strong Signal Source with Gold floating around. Got closer to investigate and an 8 ship Wing of Vultures materialized around me. Nearly vaporized my Python. 8 fucking Vultures. My god.

Haven't been following GDC very much but any news on Oculus Rift consumer release? I sooooo need to get my hands on one to play with this game.

Nymerio

Can't wait for the pvp arenas. I need something where can quickly jump in and blow some stuff up.

Question about turning in marked goods: Does this mean you can now pick up abandoned cargo without getting a fine?

DrBo42

Dev update:

FD said:
The new platforms don’t stop development on the core PC game and the next major release for PC is something I’m very personally excited about. We’re calling ‘Power Play’ – and it isn’t the speculated PvP modes! It is however a major update that will be coming first to PC and we’ll reveal more in the coming weeks.

Thanks!

Michael

Hmm.

Putosaure

Dev update:

We’re calling ‘Power Play’

images

kvk1

Power play sounds like it can be a political thing as well.

It'd be cool if factions, influence, etc. got some major love.

DrBo42

Power play sounds like it can be a political thing as well.

It'd be cool if factions, influence, etc. got some major love.

Hoping it's this. Kinda has to be since the current implementation of change and wars in the galaxy is so superficial.

You realize they are making 30% more per sale because they have their own store, right?

That's true, no one will deny that they make more money per sale than they would on Steam. The thing is that a lot of people won't buy a game unless it's on Steam, so they are losing that userbase. And there's also the issue of visibility, putting E:D on Steam would do wonders on that front.

Lime

No change on that front. I don't think they've expressed any intent on remedying that problem. The whole "it's a sandbox! make your OWN fun!" angle is infuriating when there's not enough tools or variety to do so. /rant

Edit: You can rank up in the factions (Empire, Feds, Alliance) but it doesn't mean anything other than access to locked ships or systems. The permit systems don't offer anything special or new to make it worth it.

Damnit. I really want to love this game, there are so many great things, but any meta-game is just almost non-existent.

The game makes me feel like a robot.

That's true, no one will deny that they make more money per sale than they would on Steam. The thing is that a lot of people won't buy a game unless it's on Steam, so they are losing that userbase. And there's also the issue of visibility, putting E:D on Steam would do wonders on that front.

They seem to be doing alright. If they felt like they were losing a big chunk of userbase they would've put the game on Steam. And I bet the whole "won't buy a game unless it's on Steam" population is really low. They are just really vocal online.

Hylian7

I don't think that term means, what you think it means.....

Wreav

Banned

There's no denying that, but it's their call. They'd also be taking loses with every Steam sale they participate in.

I don't think that term means, what you think it means.....

Getting mad at a game dev because they choose to not release on the appstore of your choice is the very definition of entitlement.

Hylian7

There's no denying that, but it's their call. They'd also be taking loses with every Steam sale they participate in.

Getting mad at a game dev because they choose to not release on the appstore of your choice is the very definition of entitlement.

No it isn't. It just means you prefer to buy at a certain place.

Entitlement would be expecting them to give you the game for free.

Hylian7

Just as much as refusing to buy a dev's game, unless they sell it through a 3rd party store which takes a margin of their profit. Wreav is right about that one.

Did you ever consider the benefits the dev would get out of selling on Steam?

Even wider exposure, as in exposure to plenty of people that would not even know about the game otherwise? I think when you factor that in, that margin of the profit starts looking pretty negligible.

Lets say hypothetically Games for Windows Live was still around (thank god it isn't) and Elite was sold exclusively through it. I guarantee that would stop a lot of people from buying it, and I don't blame them. Does it make those people "entitled"?

Burny

Even wider exposure, as in exposure to plenty of people that would not even know about the game otherwise? I think when you factor that in, that margin of the profit starts looking pretty negligible.

Lets say hypothetically Games for Windows Live was still around (thank god it isn't) and Elite was sold exclusively through it. I guarantee that would stop a lot of people from buying it, and I don't blame them. Does it make those people "entitled"?

None of that changes the semantics of entitlement. Beside being all speculation - true or not - it doesn't make a person refusing to buy the game because they only sell it through their own store act any less entitled.

Edit: Btw., their store is functional and merely sells you an account/download link to the game and its launcher. It's in no way forcing a badly implemented and poorly maintained wannabe ecosystem on their customers, so that Windows Live analogy doesn't work.

He's talking about the Mac and Xbox version. But Braben did confirm a PS4 version "eventually" on twitter earlier today.
Cool. Can you link that tweet?

Edit2: Found it:

GeoGonzo

This whole Steam conversation seems kind of pointless to me because it is completely up to Frontier. It's ridiculous to presume that they launched a PC game without considering Steam and if they decided not to go with it then they simply must have estimated that they'd earn more money selling the game themselves. Nobody here knows if this is true or not and thinking that you do makes you sound a bit presumptuous.

bsnakes12

Neo Member

Yes it makes them entitled, people should play games because they are fun. They shouldn't not play them because they think about how it would be slightly more convenient to play it if it was on steam.

"This game looks fun, the developer has been pretty open and honest about development and I think they deserve my 60 dollars, but I have to start up a whole new friends list...fuck this game." How can anybody that actually likes video games have that as an actual thought. Yes whether or not the developer gets more exposure on steam should be what we're worried about. I think they're doing just fine, play the game because you want to or don't.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel

I'm sure FDev has considered it and they chose to keep it off Steam, most likely to retain that 30% cut which Valve would be taking. Just like Blizzard does. And Mojang. Not every game has to be on Steam.

Good games are good games irregardless of what distribution method they use.

owlbeak

Made 2 million bounty hunting in Jupiter Halo ring this morning. Not a bad pay out for about an hour and a half of work. The bulk of that money came from 8 Anacondas with 50-75k bounties each and some other mid 20k bounties. Usually there aren't a lot of Anacondas in RESs, so I was very surprised. :)

Nymerio

Yes it makes them entitled and idiots, people should play games because they are fun. They shouldn't not play them because they think about how it would be slightly more convenient to play it if it was on steam.

"This game looks fun, the developer has been pretty open and honest about development and I think they deserve my 60 dollars, but I have to start up a whole new friends list...fuck this game." How can anybody that actually likes video games have that as an actual thought. Yes whether or not the developer gets more exposure on steam should be what we're worried about. I think they're doing just fine, play the game because you want to or don't.

No it does not make them entitled. How about you calm down a notch before coming in here and calling people idiots for not shoving money down the throat of some dev you happen to be a fan of. I've skipped games because they're not on steam before and can't fault anyone for doing the same. I don't care if a particular game may be fun or not, if I think it's good enough I'll buy it wether or not it's on steam. There are so many games out there I can't play them all anyway and I'll damn well use whatever method to choose what games I buy without being called an idiot. Convenience is a factor for a lot of people and if someone finds it inconvenient to to download another client it's their decision and it does not make them entitled nor an idiot.

Not sure that this

I've skipped games because they're not on steam before and can't fault anyone for doing the same.

reconciles with this

I don't care if a particular game may be fun or not, if I think it's good enough I'll buy it wether or not it's on steam.

You're saying that you've skipped games because they're not on Steam (which is weird to me, assuming that they were games you wanted to play, but whatever), but then you say you'll buy a game whether or not it's on Steam?

Nymerio

Sure I'll buy a game outside of steam if I'm interested enough, I bought elite after all. But with the amount of games out there I have no problem skipping games that are not on steam in favor of games that actually are. There are more games out there than I can play anyway so if it comes down to it I'll choose the game that's on my platform of choice in most cases. If another game that I wanted to play launched on the same day as elite but on steam, Id have picked that game instead of elite and I wouldn't have thought twice about it.

LeBart

Open Steam, go to Games tab, click "add a non-Steam game to my library."

giphy.gif

The way they built the game, you would have to create a seperate account and download updates from the launcher anyway, so I don't really see how getting it on Steam would be more convenient.

owlbeak

Wish the people shitting up this thread would GTFO so we can go back to discussing the game itself and not how you launch the damn thing.

Nymerio

You're missing the point. Just because someone skips a game does not mean he's an idiot. Skipping game x because it's not platform y is a perfectly valid reason to skip said game. I've done it before and and I don't feel like I've missed anything. I assume most people who skip games like this just don't care enough to put up with the minor inconvenience.

I don't even care that much about this discussion, I just find it incredibly rude for someone to come in here and call people entitled and idiots because they don't care enough about a game to buy it outside of a particular client.

No it does not make them entitled. How about you calm down a notch before coming in here and calling people idiots for not shoving money down the throat of some dev you happen to be a fan of. I've skipped games because they're not on steam before and can't fault anyone for doing the same. I don't care if a particular game may be fun or not, if I think it's good enough I'll buy it wether or not it's on steam. There are so many games out there I can't play them all anyway and I'll damn well use whatever method to choose what games I buy without being called an idiot. Convenience is a factor for a lot of people and if someone finds it inconvenient to to download another client it's their decision and it does not make them entitled nor an idiot.

You're missing the point. Just because someone skips a game does not mean he's an idiot. Skipping game x because it's not platform y is a perfectly valid reason to skip said game. I've done it before and and I don't feel like I've missed anything. I assume most people who skip games like this just don't care enough to put up with the minor inconvenience.

I don't even care that much about this discussion, I just find it incredibly rude for someone to come in here and call people entitled and idiots because they don't care enough about a game to buy it outside of a particular client.

None of this changes what he said about entitlement. You may read him calling people idiots and you associate that with yourself, but his point on entitlement is spot on. And you more or less screaming I'm not an idiot over and over again isn't really helping your case.

Wish the people shitting up this thread would GTFO so we can go back to discussing the game itself and not how you launch the damn thing.

For real. The people in this thread are actually PLAYING the game and don't care whether it's on Steam or not.

I never understood why people don't buy games if they aren't on Steam when Steam has an option to add those games to your library (as LeBart pointed out above).

RK9039

wah waaah ma steam

So anyway, I'm really looking forward to 1.2. Does anyone know the prices for the new ships? I've been saving up credits for a T7 or Clipper, if I manage to rank up, but I'm hoping the Vulture is around that same price range.

Also hoping that we can transfer our accounts back and forth between PC and PS4/X1.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom