• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elite: Dangerous |OT| Every Man's Sky

Status
Not open for further replies.
wah waaah ma steam

So anyway, I'm really looking forward to 1.2. Does anyone know the prices for the new ships? I've been saving up credits for a T7 or Clipper, if I manage to rank up, but I'm hoping the Vulture is around that same price range.

lol I was thinking about asking the same question to change the subject. I want that FDL so badly but I really doubt I can afford that right now... bounty hunting is where the fun is imo but I see all these millionaire traders and get really jealous.

espher

I really wish I'd bought this before the CAD tanked. Friend has been hyping me on it but $75 is still a tough pill to swallow...

Nymerio

ok ok, whatever let's get back to elite. Gotta setup my thrustmaster stick. Pleasantly surprised that it can be split in half, always assumed it's one piece.

Hylian7

I really wish I'd bought this before the CAD tanked. Friend has been hyping me on it but $75 is still a tough pill to swallow...

$75?! What region are you in?

Also, I really need to find a conflict zone next time I play. I've never been in one and have always wanted to participate in one.

ok ok, whatever let's get back to elite. Gotta setup my thrustmaster stick. Pleasantly surprised that it can be split in half, always assumed it's one piece.

My buddy got one of these and he said the same thing. Playing with a HOTAS is bad ass.

Wings update is almost here. I can finally jump back in after getting bored after 100 hours or so. So looking forward to traveling around with my friends hunting dirty pirates.

RK9039

lol I was thinking about asking the same question to change the subject. I want that FDL so badly but I really doubt I can afford that right now... bounty hunting is where the fun is imo but I see all these millionaire traders and get really jealous.

I desperately wanted to change the Steam discussion lol, we've had it too many times already. I'm in the same boat, I get really jelly of people flying around with 100million, it's crazy to think people have that much. I saw some guy with 700mil+ :eek:

One day I'll have 20 Anacondas.

Fuck that pansy ass FDL shit--gimme a Vulture. Shit is the pinnacle of minimalist design, just a fucking box with some guns attached. Designed by a five year old boy.

Looks fun as hell to fly.

Anion

I'm really excited about this game. Literally am on the border of buying this. I'm wondering how is the learning curve for this?

Nymerio

Fuck that pansy ass FDL shit--gimme a Vulture. Shit is the pinnacle of minimalist design, just a fucking box with some guns attached. Designed by a five year old boy.

Looks fun as hell to fly.

wow I never could put into words about what designs I enjoy but this actually comes pretty close

Canada. USD$60 = CAD$75ish right now. Plus whatever I'd lose on the currency exchange on top.

It's pretty low honestly. Tried out some stuff in the tutorial then went right into the game. Just try docking in the tutorial before trying it with your own ship. Though if you don't have two left hands you can skip even that.

I'm really excited about this game. Literally am on the border of buying this. I'm wondering how is the learning curve for this?

Intimidating at first, but after a few hours of playing you get used to it. Do all the tutorials and play solo mode for your first couple hours until you feel comfortable. PvP is my favorite part of this game so don't skimp out on the experience even if you get frustrated with other players killing you.

Hylian7

Canada. USD$60 = CAD$75ish right now. Plus whatever I'd lose on the currency exchange on top.

Okay, makes more sense now.

I was talking to a friend though, and we were talking about how games are $60 and that's steep for a lot of games that come out lately, especially given what little lasting value some of them have (Order 1886 comes to mind), but honestly Elite has more than enough content to justify that price. Not only that, the fact of just how in depth the flight model is, and the fact that more is coming for free, I think this price point is absolutely justified for this game.

People do rag on this game for having repetitive things, and I honestly think you get out of this game what you put into it.

For instance, trading is obviously the most lucrative career in this game, but I chose to be a bounty hunter, knowing the payouts were techincally lower. Why? It's more fun. Combat is satisfying as all hell in this game, I enjoy it. I have a Viper and I'm happy with it right now. But even with the player vs player elements, and the randomness of events that happen, there is so much to the game. You just have to immerse yourself in the game.

LeBart

I think it's very accessible. There's a learning curve, but it's not too harsh. Watch some video tutorials or come here if you have a question, and you shouldn't have too much trouble.

Anion

Intimidating at first, but after a few hours of playing you get used to it. Do all the tutorials and play solo mode for your first couple hours until you feel comfortable. PvP is my favorite part of this game so don't skimp out on the experience even if you get frustrated with other players killing you.

I think it's very accessible. There's a learning curve, but it's not too harsh. Watch some video tutorials or come here if you have a question, and you shouldn't have too much trouble.
Thanks guys. This is going be good

GeoGonzo

wah waaah ma steam

So anyway, I'm really looking forward to 1.2. Does anyone know the prices for the new ships?
As far as I know they haven't said yet, but... we DO know the prices of the Military Grade Composite Bulkhead upgrade which is often similar to the cost of the basic ship. For example:

Basic Anaconda price: 141M
Anaconda MGC Bulkhead: 132M

Basic Type-9 price: 73M
Type-9 MGC Bulkhead: 69M

Basic Python price: 55M
Python MGC Bulkhead: 51M

Basic Fer de Lance price: ???
Fer de Lance MGC Bulkhead: 92M

Basic Vulture price: ???
Vulture MGC Bulkhead: 20M

Basic Type-7 price: 17
Type-7 MGC Bulkhead: 16M

Hylian7

So this is kind of a dumb question, and probably based in my lack of understanding of VR technology. Will Elite work with the SteamVR?

Wreav

Banned
So this is kind of a dumb question, and probably based in my lack of understanding of VR technology. Will Elite work with the SteamVR?

Very probable. It's up to FD to support the SteamVR SDK, in my understanding, much like they use the Oculus SDK now.

Wreav

Banned
Yeah, that's what I was wondering: If it works with Oculus, does that mean it will work with SteamVR devices?

No, two different SDKs like I said.

I'm sure Valve will make sure that it's minimal work to port an existing Rift implementation over to Vive, however.

Hylian7

Awesome, that sounds good then. I really hope it does happen. Playing Elite on Oculus blew my goddamn mind, and I imagine with the insane resolutions on SteamVR, that shit will be ridiculous.

Wreav

Banned
SteamVR is likely lower res than Rift CV1, but has a bigger FOV, just FYI, meaning the CV1 will have more readable text.

owlbeak

1.2 On track for a Tuesday/Wednesday release? Hope so!

Also, any idea on cost of the FDL or Vulture? I'm sure they so expensive I will cry. Currently have ~4 million in the bank.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
I'd think the Vulture would be in the Viper price territory, no?

Oh God no, it will be much higher than a Vyper. I'm pretty sure it will be more than an Asp, but probably only a bit more.

Here's the post:

Ship Prices: (based off of Military spec armor, on all of the the other ships military spec bulkheads are around the same price as the stock hull)
Vulture ~ around 20 million credits, another 20+ mil to outfit ~ 40 million grand total
FDL ~ around 90 million credits stock another 30+ million to outfit ~ 120+ million grand total

20m for the Vulture seems really high for what your getting. I'm still planning on grabbing one even at that price to replace my Viper (I have an Asp for multi-purpose/ Viper for combat) but it isn't cost effective. I just want a new combat ship with a little more fire power.

RK9039

As far as I know they haven't said yet, but... we DO know the prices of the Military Grade Composite Bulkhead upgrade which is often similar to the cost of the basic ship. For example:

Basic Anaconda price: 141M
Anaconda MGC Bulkhead: 132M

Basic Type-9 price: 73M
Type-9 MGC Bulkhead: 69M

Basic Python price: 55M
Python MGC Bulkhead: 51M

Basic Fer de Lance price: ???
Fer de Lance MGC Bulkhead: 92M

Basic Vulture price: ???
Vulture MGC Bulkhead: 20M

Basic Type-7 price: 17
Type-7 MGC Bulkhead: 16M

Nice, I should be able to get a Vulture when the update drops.

owlbeak

I really hope those rumored prices are wrong. As someone who does not enjoy trading, it would take me forever to earn that amount of money. They need to be making ships that run the gamut of the game; if they keep only adding ships that cost exorbitant amounts of money, as some sort of "end game" goal for people, it will make me upset. There needs to be more variety in the mid-range ship catalog. Right now you have the Viper, Cobra, and Adder. That's about it, and they each have their specific uses without much play. The next step up from those ships is substantially more money...money to the point where you basically have to start grinding to earn it because you'll never get that much from normal play.

espher

I was talking to a friend though, and we were talking about how games are $60 and that's steep for a lot of games that come out lately, especially given what little lasting value some of them have (Order 1886 comes to mind), but honestly Elite has more than enough content to justify that price. Not only that, the fact of just how in depth the flight model is, and the fact that more is coming for free, I think this price point is absolutely justified for this game.

Don't get me wrong, it's probably good value, but it's a lot to take a gamble on if I'm not sure how much I still enjoy the genre, you know? Plus I still don't have a stick or HOTAS or anything (I guess I have a Dualshock-styled Logitech pad).

Welcome back! No suggestions on what to update on the OT, though... I mean you could add new ships and such but at that point it starts to become less an introduction to the game and more of a wiki entry, which is kind of weird.

True, I was actually thinking about OT2, I'll probably just condense and remove alot of the excess info and add a link to a catalog of ships or something. I feel like it could be refined alot.

Dubz

So I haven't played is in about a month. I got bored of grinding bounties, and yearned for some new things to do. I'm not big on trading, so my question is has there been any new updates that have added more things to do besides bounties and fetch quests?

Wreav

Banned
I mean, I'm not sure what anyone expects out of the game until the first expansion hits. There's not much to do until we can get out of our ship, or down to a planet.

I think the game just needs much more difficult missions, even if it's just there as challenges. Currently the Anaconda assassinations can be easily done in a decently outfitted Viper, which means there's no real incentive from a game perspective to keep grinding.

Others have already mentioned it but I'd really like to see Outpost or Capital ship assault missions. Even defense missions could work really well in this kind of game. If the payout is attractive enough (like maybe 500k+) that would also motivate nearby people to group up.

Hopefully stuff like this is what's coming in 1.3.

Shifty76

I think the game just needs much more difficult missions, even if it's just there as challenges. Currently the Anaconda assassinations can be easily done in a decently outfitted Viper, which means there's no real incentive from a game perspective to keep grinding.

Others have already mentioned it but I'd really like to see Outpost or Capital ship assault missions. Even defense missions could work really well in this kind of game. If the payout is attractive enough (like maybe 500k+) that would also motivate nearby people to group up.

Hopefully stuff like this is what's coming in 1.3.

Those strong signal sources can be wings of up to 8 pirate vessels. I don't care how good anyone is, and how big of a ship you have, going 1 v 8 is going to provide a challenge.

Burny

I mean, I'm not sure what anyone expects out of the game until the first expansion hits. There's not much to do until we can get out of our ship, or down to a planet.

And there won't be "much to do" then either as long as they don't redesign the mission system as well. For the game to really shine - beside all the multiplayer oriented updates they're releasing now - they will probably have to put a lot of work into mission design and all the mechanics around it.

My guess is also that we'll have at least to wait for the first paid extension to see some of that if it is to come at all.

Another thought - now that they're apparently ramping up their support/dev(?) personnel, churn out content updates pretty fast and work on at least two ports of the game, I'd really like to know if they're able to continue supporting and extending the game for a longer period of time?

There's tons of things I'd like to see implemented at least at some point around the mechanic skeleton they have. The game could easily have legs for 10+ years. Yet, after the official release, they seem to be taking a classic full price release (+ Addons) approach, which I mostly associate with limited support after the release. If I compare that to other successful none-MMO games with persistent player "fleet" (think War Thunder and World of Tanks), how can Frontier keep supporting their game as actively as those do with their current approach? At some point, the funds have to run out unless they keep releasing paid addons or develop a successor release. The latter creates issues with continuing the persistent universe idea.

Why shouldn't they offer - for example - a voluntary player subscription for funding continued development and maintenance of Elite Dangerous? Make it clear that it's not a pay to win switch, but direct support of the development and offer cosmetic rewards or small ingame pleasantries in return. E.g. slightly lower insurance costs, ship skins, otherwise unobtainable player titles (unrelated to the rank), system permits, time limited free access codes to gift to friends etc..

Edit:

Was already mentioned by Sikamikanico a few pages ago, but maybe it's worth a new thread?

Portman

I decided to change things up a bit and run local trades instead of a rare circuit I had been running. It is a change of pace but it sure seems to get repetitive even quicker! I can see where the amount of cargo space plays into how much profit you get with this and it has me wishing I could afford a Type-7 already but that is a way to go from 5.5 mil.

I'm looking for stuff to do to add some variety and I wanted to ask about conflict zones. I have seen some low and high intensity ones a few areas away and I was debating on going to investigate in my Cobra but I was going to check to see if I was setting myself up for failure or fun first. Even if it doesn't provide a lot of income compared to random bounty hunting I figured it would be something fun to do for a bit if I wasn't outmatched. I've seen it mentioned that ships aren't worth much kill claim or whatever it is called so I'm not going into it for tons of money but for the fun.

The other thing I'm thinking about trying is going and making a big rare route on that one site that lets you map out a rare route. I figured it would be a way to get to see some different places and make some money but it might just be the same thing I'd been doing previously. It might help out too that I got rid of the fuel scoop for cargo space (getting desperate for that profit) which should give me some expansive trips instead of constant star orbiting.

I'm still want to get an Asp as a long term plan and try out exploration but I want to build up some funding before I try that. I just wanted to see if anyone had some suggestions or confirmation that I am on the right track and need to keep working my way there slowly but surely.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom