• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elite: Dangerous |OT| Every Man's Sky

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shifty76

"Close quarter combat" => arena dogfights. Small Imperial fighter ship is controllable apparently.

Good. Get that on the pc version asap so all the vocal pro-pvp crowd can go do that and quit making posts about removing solo/private group play.

"Close quarter combat" => arena dogfights. Small Imperial fighter ship is controllable apparently.

this will fix the PvP question. I assume the CQC will be an insurance-free experience. A risk-free PvP arena where you can battle other players for prizes/money/whatever without the risk of losing a weeks' worth of farming time worth in insurance money.

Good decision. I was hoping they'd do something exactly like this. Not only to promote PvP, but to also make small ships useful for something.

Zalusithix

this will fix the PvP question. I assume the CQC will be an insurance-free experience. A risk-free PvP arena where you can battle other players for prizes/money/whatever without the risk of losing a weeks' worth of farming time worth in insurance money.

Good decision. I was hoping they'd do something exactly like this. Not only to promote PvP, but to also make small ships useful for something.

If it's not risk free (or at least significantly reduced insurance), then they'll have done all that work for nothing. This should be the Arena Commander equivalent for Elite.

Zalusithix

just found out this is console-exclusive for some period of time.

fuck FD.

I agree that it's not the best way to treat the people that supported the game thus far. I have a feeling that such a deal with the devil was required, however, to get funding for development. While I have no proof, I just get the feeling that FD was financially constrained. It very well might have been a do or die situation.

Either way, deals with the proverbial devil always have consequences. FD is basically fucked now reputation wise with the people that helped make the game come to exist in the first place. If FD goes under, they wont have the people to fall back on any more.

FD didn't just shot themselves in the foot, guys. Let's take a step back for a min:

Elite? No. I was late to the game there. Star Citizen? I've spend even more on backing that game. Take a HOTAS and TrackIR5 and I could claim I've invested another 340€ in both of those games.

Despite all that: If Chris Roberts were to come out today or at any other point and announce that Star Citizen was to go multi platform - without taking away any of the features implemented or planned at that point - while also announcing a couple of cool new features first releasing on whatever other new platform, but being patched back into the PC game, I would be hopeful that a lot of new people get to enjoy the game and happy that new features are to come. Not fiercly jealous or even buthurt that some hypothetical features, texture resolutions, geometry details or whatever will not be realized on the PC.

As for justified backlash: Yes, PC gamers are getting screwed over a lot when big publishers see or imagine seeing more money on consoles.

But we're talking a smaller dev here. They have provided a timeframe for the features to come to the PC - later this year. The sound update section in their patch notes is longer than the notes of all the support some other games are getting post release. They retroavtively provide steam keys for every existing buyer, although they have to pay Valve whenever a player with such an activated key will make a purchase even through Frontier's store in the future. And while they've certainly not created a perfect game, patched every bug or fixed every issue, I've rearely ever seen a dev similarly committed to a "pay-once" game after release. As it looks now, they give users on a new platform some incentive - low entry price during early access, getting some features first (that won't stay exclusive) - which is the least anybody should do when porting a game late and expecting people to buy it.

No, I don't think but hurt is an any way or capacity justified. Neither over having a couple of months to wait, nor over some hypothetic and unspecified features that might've only been possible if the game stayed PC exclusive. That's a typcial platform warrior reaction to some of the more reasonable handling of a game going multi platform after relase that we've seen. I find it disgraceful to be honest.

Zalusithix

FD didn't just shot themselves in the foot, guys. Let's take a step back for a min:

If it weren't for inXile and Larian (both small developers) announcing console ports without exclusive time limited content, I'd be inclined to agree that they didn't. However, the precedent was already set for pc -> console Kickstarter ports. Anything less than that is going to be met with contempt by a decent chunk of the biggest supporters.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
So apparently hacking is a thing in Elite, and I never even knew it:

https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php?t=157212

If you see a CMDR Ariane out and about in the galaxy swing a wide berth, he's running lots of hacks. There are others too, and FDev doesn't seem to have done anything against any of them, even after being reported dozens of times. :(

So yeah, that thread about the hacker who was killing people in game earlier, and has been doing so for several months now apparently, who has also been reported dozens of times to FDev? Well, the thread got locked, and I got an infraction from FDev for posting a youtube video of the hacker cheating and killing people:

Frontier Moderation Team said:
Hello Mengy,

This is a message notifying you that your forums account on the Frontier Forums has received an infraction for Witch-hunting / Mob-mentality hunts. The forum rules can be found by clicking here, or by using the forums navigation bar at the top; selecting FAQ's, then clicking on the 'Forum Rules' link. Infractions have a varying expiration date based per severity of the violation. You can view your current and expired warnings/infractions by viewing the main page of your forums profile here.

This infraction is worth 4 point(s) and may result in restricted access to the Frontier Forums until it expires. Serious infractions will never expire.

You've been issued an infraction for witch-hunting / mob-mentality hunts. While we welcome all sorts of discussions on the Frontier forums, we do not allow witch-hunts so your message has been moderated.

Maybe they should worry more about stopping hackers than punishing the people who point them out? o_O

Zalusithix

So yeah, that thread about the hacker who was killing people in game earlier, and has been doing so for several months now apparently, who has also been reported dozens of times to FDev? Well, the thread got locked, and I got an infraction from FDev for posting a youtube video of the hacker cheating and killing people:

Maybe they should worry more about stopping hackers than punishing the people who point them out? o_O

The rules are made with good intentions, but they only work when the person is dealt with in a timely manner. If the person isn't dealt with, then the anger is going to fester and eventually people aren't going to give a damn about the rules. It's a bit of a lost cause too. While FD can police their forums as much as they'd like, they have no control over the internet at large. Names and videos will get out there. To make matters worse, they'll get out there along with the bemoaning of FD's lack of action.

DrBo42

Good. Get that on the pc version asap so all the vocal pro-pvp crowd can go do that and quit making posts about removing solo/private group play.

Haha. PvP arenas won't change the fact that moving from Open to Solo to Open at will is nonsense. Awful design decision, especially with powerplay.

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness

They're trying, but haven't been able to. In the mean time, people pointing it out publicly (showing proof) hurts the rep, therefore hurts sales, so it's discouraged.

I think people are starting to use them in Open because they no longer care. "Might as well have some fun until I get banned".

Soi-Fong

Oh man, the negativity swirling around Elite is a real shame. I take a break and when I'm just about ready to come back, everything is a mess.

Frontier is ruining the goodwill they got from those who feel like they got burned by Star Citizen.

They're treading a fine line here. They're starting to screw over the fan base that allowed them to build this game.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
have we heard more details about how early access will work on Xbox? Braben was saying it is £24.99 but does that get you the full game eventually, or just the early access part and you have to pay more later for the full game? Wondering whether to get on console or PC, although on PC would give me access to VR eventually..

Shifty76

Ooh, just found one of the better systems I've come across:

Neutron star, 3 x terraformable water worlds, 2 x terraformable metal content planets, 1 x non-terraformable water world, 1 x earth-like.

Might be a new record for me for highest value system...we'll see in a week or so when I get back I guess.

Burny

This is the official announcement from David Braben straight off their community site thing:

David Braben said:
Hello Commander,

This morning in Los Angeles (the evening for our team and players back in the UK) we were thrilled to announce Elite: Dangoerous will be available for Xbox One’s new Game Preview Program TODAY. Elite: Dangerous will be one of the first ‘early access’ game on console, and it’s a hugely exciting moment for the whole team at Frontier.

We hope you’ll join us in the Xbox One Game Preview. Elite: Dangerous will be available for Xbox One later today for the special early access price of £24.99 ($30.99 €30.99).

On Xbox One we’re introducing all-new gamepad controls, Achievements, support for Xbox Live Parties and Friends Lists, and a new controller UI layer with context menus for important actions. And this morning we’re also announcing Close Quarter Combat – instant-action PVP combat in the Elite: Dangerous galaxy for PC, Mac and Xbox One. You can play CQC first on Xbox One in the Game Preview Program next month. CQC is a new way to play Elite: Dangerous, and we’ll be testing it first with the Xbox Live community.

We’re proud to be leading the way on the Game Preview Program, and we wouldn’t be able to do it without our amazing community. Elite: Dangerous Game Preview is a true beta test on a console, and the first ever “early access” console game. Of course we’ll be optimizing the game further over the course of the Game Preview Program.

Elite: Dangerous means a lot to us. The more platforms we add the more we’re able to improve the game overall. We’ve put a lot of work into optimization already to bring Elite: Dangerous first to Mac, and now to Xbox One, with all that effort benefitting the PC version too.

We have lots more coming for our players on PC and Mac soon. For now I’m pleased to announce that if you already own Elite: Dangerous for PC and Mac, you can buy it for Xbox One and automatically receive a £5 coupon for FrontierStore.net. I'm also happy to say CQC and the new controller functions will be a free addition to PC and Mac later in 2015.

I’m looking forward to meeting the press at E3 this week, and we have a whole week of content for you here on the new Community blog. Tomorrow our Xbox One Producer Gary Richards will be here to talk about bringing Elite: Dangerous to Xbox One, on Wednesday our Close Quarter Combat design team will explain how CQC works, and later this week our Executive Producer Michael Brookes will be here to talk about how the work we’ve put into Elite: Dangerous for Xbox One will feed back into PC and Mac, and make the game even better on every platform.

This is a great day for Frontier and a great day for Elite: Dangerous, and it’s not the last of our announcements for the week. Tomorrow we’ll announce our new PC game on stage at the E3 PC Gaming Show, and in coming months we’ll be able to talk about what’s next for Elite: Dangerous on PC and Mac too. We have some great things to come; this is just the beginning.

Right on Commander!

David Braben

Edit: Curious what those new controller functions are. Any Xbone players who tested the game and know enough of the PC version to do a comparison?

Ronnie

Banned
Does anyone know if the X52 Pro is compatible with a Macbook? I assume there's no way to use it on the Xbox One?

Also can I play my PC save on Xbox or would it have to be a new CMDR?

Mengy

This is the official announcement from David Braben straight off their community site thing:

This particular sentence has me concerned a bit:

David Braben said:
Tomorrow we’ll announce our new PC game on stage at the E3 PC Gaming Show, and in coming months we’ll be able to talk about what’s next for Elite: Dangerous on PC and Mac too. We have some great things to come; this is just the beginning.

So, from the sound of it, there won't be any news or updates for the PC version of Elite for a few months? I guess they are going to be focused on the Xbox version for now and Power Play is all we will be getting for a long time. That kind of blows, seeing how Power Pay really didn't add much of anything interesting for me.

DrBo42

So, from the sound of it, there won't be any news or updates for the PC version of Elite for a few months? I guess they are going to be focused on the Xbox version for now and Power Play is all we will be getting for a long time. That kind of blows, seeing how Power Pay really didn't add much of anything interesting for me.

Not sure. At this point I don't trust FD to make the right decisions in the future development of Elite. I have no idea what size(s) of their team(s) are and the split between PC/XB1 and the other game are worrying. Sounds to me like they are truly unable to fund the game's development to the promised level without pulling some massive bullshit. They need to provide an actual roadmap, now. Before the backlash can get any worse. And FFS either sack that community manager or let him do his job properly.

Some more transparency is needed, especially at this point. It won't do at all to remain quiet about the roadmap, which is what it sounded like they intended to do the other week. Pretty sure someone asked Braben for a roadmap and they said they currently don't have plans to release one.

Wreav

Banned
Said it before, I'll say it again...ED is going into cryosleep for me until retail VR is available. Maybe by then we'll have a full game.

la_briola

Not sure. At this point I don't trust FD to make the right decisions in the future development of Elite. I have no idea what size(s) of their team(s) are and the split between PC/XB1 and the other game are worrying. [...]

They have like ~250 people.

The game's foundation is far too strong for me to give up on it. Even in it's current state, I'm more excited about finally playing the game in VR than just about anything coming this year.

elyetis

Didn't it already take a couple month for them to announce what we should expect from 1.3 once the wing update was released ?
A roadmap ( without any date, just to get an idea of what is to come, in which order ) would be more than welcome. And as someone who already paid for the extension, any 'news' about them would be nice too.

Uthred

Reading through the reviews on Steam it seems that the game has some issues with lack of content and lack of regular updates would people say they're fair criticisms?

Let's not conflate "not much content" with "not many updates".

FD has been great about updating and listening to player feedback. Since the release, we were getting new features/additions every other month or so (Powerplay took a little longer), and that's not including the regular patches, some of which have made fairly significant updates.

We can argue whether or not that content should have been in the game at launch, but I don't think it's fair to say their updates haven't been regular. They were practically on a schedule for updates until Powerplay.

EDIT: Agree with Sinatar. This isn't a game where you start off and have nothing to do. It's a game where you start off, have a ton of shit to do, and then after you do it, realize there's not much to the endgame (yet). PP was supposed to address that, and if they tweak it, maybe it will.

zanos

Neo Member
Reading through the reviews on Steam it seems that the game has some issues with lack of content and lack of regular updates would people say they're fair criticisms?

Pretty much this, and yes...I am the guy with the negative review on Steam that everyone loves to hate, hehe. The game does have a solid foundation, and you will get a lot of hours out of it. I stopped around 80 hours, so while I did feel I got my money's worth, it leaves you with a bitter taste in your mouth simply because you do see so much potential there (with its foundation) but it's just not quite there yet.

That isn't to say it never will be, but it just isn't there yet. You'll get drawn into the vastness of it all and the money grind, but I felt after some time it just felt like "an awful waste of space."

Pomerlaw

It's a game you must enjoy finding your own trail. There is no clear scenario, no script, and no clear indications. The Galaxy is big, and you are small. If you want to be an hero and build an empire, this isn't the game for you.

I really enjoy the game, because the feeling of flight is awesome, and the galaxy is superb. It is the kind of game you start with an objective in your mind but end up flying around in an asteroid field instead...

It is pretty empty right now, but I think it will slowly get more and more content.

Burny

The latter, no. The updates and patches have been frequent. That's not say some issues shouldn't be fixed faster or some features be present at launch. But among the more vocal people the standard expectation seems to be having everything fixed the day before yesterday and being given a back rub on top of it.

The former? Yes, there is much valid criticism there, but it's too often buried beneath overboarding hyperbole and drama. You get a huge galaxy to explore that is currently the background for some basic game mechanics (dogfighting, mining, exploration etc.), but you don't get any narration tying it together. You can work your way up from the most measly starter ship to beastly large ship's, but if that's not in itself reward enough for you, you will get little enjoyment out of the available tasks that bring in credits.

It comes down to whether you like to fly around in a spaceship enough, to also enjoy the limited mechanics around it. You could say it's a more exciting Euro truck simulator in space with a lot more added combat. ;)

Mengy

Just a warning to you guys, looks like the patch today broke 1st discoveries with exploring:

https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php?t=157654

People are now getting zero credits for selling data, and the discovered tags are getting messed up all over the galaxy with every horn and detailed scan.

Think I'll play something else tonight until this is fixed.

Agremont

Just a warning to you guys, looks like the patch today broke 1st discoveries with exploring:

People are now getting zero credits for selling data, and the discovered tags are getting messed up all over the galaxy with every horn and detailed scan.

Thanks for the heads up. Hopefully they'll get a fix out real soon.

Zalusithix

I certainly hope they have a transactional record of the discoveries. If not, who knows how much exploration history was rewritten due to that bug.

Soi-Fong

Hoping the Steam sale brings them a bit more cash.. Really, it's disappointing in a lot of ways. I'm having my doubts on whether they'll have enough money to do station and planetary landings.

Burny

New community blog entry, strongly focused around XBone, but still worth a read (not much new info though):

GARY RICHARDS XBOX ONE PRODUCER said:
Hello, Commanders. I'm Gary Richards, Senior Producer on Elite: Dangerous for Xbox One. It’s great to finally be able to talk about Elite: Dangerous for Xbox One and the surprise launch we’ve been planning!

We released the Elite: Dangerous Game Preview on Monday during Microsoft’s E3 Media Briefing. You can play Elite: Dangerous right now on Xbox One as part of the new Game Preview Program, making it the first major ‘Early Access’ game available on console. We’re offering it at a special introductory price if you buy now, just like we did with the Mercenary Edition on PC, and when the Game Preview ends you’ll automatically receive the complete release version of the game.

When you buy the game you’ll be asked to create a Frontier account or link an existing one. Once you’ve logged in you'll be able to take flight in our beta galaxy. We call it a ‘beta’ galaxy, but this is already the complete Elite: Dangerous experience without compromise. You’ll be set loose in an open space, with 400 billion star systems to explore and a massively multiplayer galaxy where players have real control over the background simulation.

Elite: Dangerous is about living a real life in our real galaxy, far off in the 34th century. You could be a trader, an explorer, a pirate, a miner, a mercenary or all of those things at once in an open galaxy you can experience how you choose. We’ve worked hard to make our ships feel real, to make our physics real, to create real stars and planets with real chemistry, and a massive simulation players can affect just by playing.

Our galaxy is so real, if you look up from Earth you’ll see familiar constellations, with every star given its real name. It’s not just a beautiful skybox; those stars are in the right places because our Milky Way is as real as it gets.

Elite: Dangerous a truly unique experience on Xbox One and over Xbox Live, and it's only going to get better as we progress through the Game Preview Program. As the first game in the Game Preview Program, and it was important to us to give Xbox One players an experience that already felt hand-crafted for console. This is a true ‘Early Access’ test, not a demo, but we still went the extra mile to bring Elite: Dangerous to Xbox One the right way.

The first change you’ll notice if you’re joining us from PC or Mac are a selection of rearranged Training missions, with new loadouts and combat spaces to hone your skills. We’ll be bringing those to PC and Mac later this year because we think they’re a great introduction to the game.

You’ll also notice a whole new gamepad UI layer. Some people already play with a gamepad on PC and Mac, but we wanted to make the whole experience more robust on Xbox One so we built a new controller layout with context-sensitive menus whenever you hold a face button to access important functions like the Galaxy Map or Landing Gear. We’ve even brought the Free Camera to Xbox One using one of those context menus, and we’re looking forward to seeing your Xbox One screens!

Of course we support Achievements, Parties, Xbox Live’s Friends List, and you can even compare your progress to Elite and your total kills with friends straight from the dashboard. And yes - we have an Achievement for becoming Elite. We think it will be one of the most challenging Achievements on Xbox One.

Bringing Elite: Dangerous to Xbox One also meant reengineering and optimization for the new hardware. Elite: Dangerous for Xbox One is already running at 1080p, and we’re aiming for the highest framerate possible. Our Executive Producer Michael Brookes will be here later this week to talk about how developing for Xbox One will make Elite: Dangerous better wherever you play.

Xbox One is also where we’ll be testing our new instant-action PVP mode first. Close Quarter Combat (CQC) Championships will throw players into PVP combat in custom arenas, and tomorrow we’ll have designers Jim Stimpson and Dan Davies to talk about how it works here on the community blog. Play CQC first on Xbox One in July, and read about it here tomorrow.

Finally, I want to thank all our players on PC and Mac. We’ll have a major announcement for you soon, but for now I can tell you the new controller UI will be coming to PC and Mac later this year, and it will be joined by CQC before the end of 2015. Elite: Dangerous will keep growing on every platform it calls home.

Thank you for playing, thank you for joining whether you play on PC, Mac or Xbox One, and Right On, Commander.

Gary Richards

TheTrain

What is the Close Quarters Championship (CQC)?

The Close Quarters Championship or CQC is an instant team-based action in the Elite: Dangerous galaxy, debuting exclusively on Xbox One in July.

It will have several modes including 12 player Deathmatch, 6v6 Team Deathmatch and Capture the Flag and will be designed for competitive play with matchmaking and leaderboards.

Some further features:

Customise and pilot your own personalised fighter alongside your wingmen in the ultimate 34th Century gladiatorial contest.
Honed for competitive play, bringing a balanced combat space for players to test their skills against others on Xbox Live.
CQC will be a balanced, competitive experience, and we hope the eSports community will embrace it.
Integration into the wider Elite: Dangerous galaxy and narrative provides a stepping stone into the game’s experience.
Fly the Sidewinder, Eagle and (new to players) F63 Condor Federal Fighter.
Earn XP to increase your CQC rank. Unlock new modules, weapons and abilities.

The CQC will be exclusive for Xbox One until Holiday 2015, when it will come to PC and Mac.

Qasiel

What is the Close Quarters Championship (CQC)?

The Close Quarters Championship or CQC is an instant team-based action in the Elite: Dangerous galaxy, debuting exclusively on Xbox One in July.

It will have several modes including 12 player Deathmatch, 6v6 Team Deathmatch and Capture the Flag and will be designed for competitive play with matchmaking and leaderboards.

Some further features:

Customise and pilot your own personalised fighter alongside your wingmen in the ultimate 34th Century gladiatorial contest.
Honed for competitive play, bringing a balanced combat space for players to test their skills against others on Xbox Live.
CQC will be a balanced, competitive experience, and we hope the eSports community will embrace it.
Integration into the wider Elite: Dangerous galaxy and narrative provides a stepping stone into the game’s experience.
Fly the Sidewinder, Eagle and (new to players) F63 Condor Federal Fighter.
Earn XP to increase your CQC rank. Unlock new modules, weapons and abilities.

The CQC will be exclusive for Xbox One until Holiday 2015, when it will come to PC and Mac.

This sounds really fun (and a lot less complicated than everything Powerplay's brought to the table). I can understand why us PC people feel like we're getting kicked in the balls on this one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom