• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elite: Dangerous |OT| Every Man's Sky

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
This sounds really fun (and a lot less complicated than everything Powerplay's brought to the table). I can understand why us PC people feel like we're getting kicked in the balls on this one.

Yep.

PC as the lead platform my ass. We just fund the console versions who get exclusivity deals.

DrBo42

Yep.

PC as the lead platform my ass. We just fund the console versions who get exclusivity deals.

Haha. I'm mostly a negative voice in here and I even I find this post a bit much. It's definitely alarming that they're getting something early while Powerplay is a fuckin' mess though. Should start praying that Planet Coaster solves their apparent budget woes.

Burny

Assuming the console version(s) create(s) profits, what do they fund? Ferraris for David Braben? Maybe, but probably also the PC version or rather the game as a whole.

What justifies all the drama?

The recognition that the game does not and will not have a real PvP experience until this mode comes to PC. We've recognized the need for a mode just like this since launch. Now someone will be playing it..just not us. Not until...December.

Not that we won't have other things to keep us warm until then...but the facts are the facts. Most players will have to continue to dodge/avoid PvP for 6 more months if they don't want days/weeks worth of grinding to go down the drain in a 70-second interdiction encounter. It's the biggest failure of the game right now and the fix to the problem is going somewhere else first.

DrBo42

The recognition that the game does not and will not have a real PvP experience until this mode comes to PC. We've recognized the need for a mode just like this since launch. Now someone will be playing it..just not us. Not until...December.

Not that we won't have other things to keep us warm until then...but the facts are the facts. Most players will have to continue to dodge/avoid PvP for 6 more months if they don't want days/weeks worth of grinding to go down the drain in a 70-second interdiction encounter. It's the biggest failure of the game right now and the fix to the problem is going somewhere else first.

The PvP arena doesn't solve this problem. It's the fact that someone could lose their entire fortune/progress from a player interdiction causing them to flee to Solo/Private and being able to come back to Open whenever they want. Nothing about that design decision makes any sense since it splits the community and makes world PvP or Powerplay interaction rare instead of a staple. The galaxy should be dangerous, everyone should be playing together. Should just make it so death/ship loss isn't a huge deal but cargo loss and module loss is the hit. Of course that would have to scale so that losing an Anaconda with a full combat kit doesn't wipe out your wallet. Once you have it balanced, lock the modes from switching.

Mengy

Assuming the console version(s) create(s) profits, what do they fund? Ferraris for David Braben? Maybe, but probably also the PC version or rather the game as a whole.

I may be coming across a bit dramatic, but it's not the content of CQC that I'm upset about, it's the behavior of FDev that bothers me. Several times now they have said one thing and done another, going against promises to the backers and early adopters and the people who have funded Elite Dangerous. It's the double speak and sneaky actions of FDev that continue to get my dander up, and this is just one more example added to the list.

Most developers who behave this way don't see money or business from me at all. I think David Braben is a good game designer, I love and own every version of Elite, but continual disrespect of the customers who pay your way is simply not behavior that I think of as acceptable. I know it's all about the money, but there needs to be a balance of respect and communication that goes along with business, otherwise you lose customers and market approval. And I don't want to see FDev lose customers and market approval, so practices like these bother me. The lies to the backers, the lack of any roadmap at all, the backdoor practices and now content going to a console first in an exclusivity deal funded by PC gamers, not to mention the fact that Xbox1 customers can buy the full entire game for $30, I mean there are early backers who paid hundreds of dollars for the "lead platform" version of the game, well yeah, it bothers me. There are so many promised beta features that haven't even been spoken of by FDev since launch, and now the Xbox is getting updates before the PC?

I don't know if it's all calculated behavior by FDev or just incompetence, but IMHO it stinks. Sorry for being a downer, I'll keep it to myself from now on.

DrBo42

I may be coming across a bit dramatic, but it's not the content of CQC that I'm upset about, it's the behavior of FDev that bothers me. Several times now they have said one thing and done another, going against promises to the backers and early adopters and the people who have funded Elite Dangerous. It's the double speak and sneaky actions of FDev that continue to get my dander up, and this is just one more example added to the list.

Most developers who behave this way don't see money or business from me at all. I think David Braben is a good game designer, I love and own every version of Elite, but continual disrespect of the customers who pay your way is simply not behavior that I think of as acceptable. I know it's all about the money, but there needs to be a balance of respect and communication that goes along with business, otherwise you lose customers and market approval. And I don't want to see FDev lose customers and market approval, so practices like these bother me. The lies to the backers, the lack of any roadmap at all, the backdoor practices and now content going to a console first in an exclusivity deal funded by PC gamers, not to mention the fact that Xbox1 customers can buy the full entire game for $30, I mean there are early backers who paid hundreds of dollars for the "lead platform" version of the game, well yeah, it bothers me.

I don't know if it's all calculated behavior by FDev or just incompetence, but IMHO it stinks. Sorry for being a downer, I'll keep it to myself from now on.

We don't know that. I would think either Microsoft approached FD or the other way around and funded at least part of it or paid for that exclusive mode for their early access program E3 announcement.

Burny

I fail to see how the depressing reactions are justified. It's a substantial feature update (similar to what I imagined a while back), it's free, it wasn't among the promised kickstarter launch features (correct me if I'm wrong here?), it will be available on all platforms, the XBone crowd will have it a couple of months earlier.

Where is the big deal? I guess I fail to see the issue with the feature being some months late on the PC, as long as it's coming and not as lat as GTA 5 for PC. It's a small favour for the XBox crowd. Yet, some of the PC crowd is acting as if Frontier is shelving the PC version of the game. It's really depressing to read.

As for PvP being too risky in open play: The PvP arena seems to be limited to Sidewinders, Eagles and Condors. Any player who has progressed a bit past those ships can afford a Sidewinder or Eagle from their spare credits and meet up in some backwater system to bash in their heads. Make a league out of it and you even have some Meta-/Role-playing game to go with it.

Several times now they have said one thing and done another, going against promises to the backers and early adopters and the people who have funded Elite Dangerous.
As I've not followed Elite since the Kickstarter, could you make a list? I see the betrayalton sentiment often enough surrounding Elite, but rarely see any concrete claims to substantiate it.

Zalusithix

Where is the big deal? I guess I fail to see the issue with the feature being some months late on the PC, as long as it's coming and not as lat as GTA 5 for PC. It's a small favour for the XBox crowd. Yet, some of the PC crowd is acting as if Frontier is shelving the PC version of the game. It's really depressing to read.

PC gamers have been consistently getting delayed releases compared to their respective console counterparts for a long time now - often for no good reason. That's annoying enough. Now they get to see it happen to a game that started on the PC and was funded by fans of PC gaming. Yeah, some are going to be pissed. Personally it doesn't bother me because I wasn't part of the group that kickstarted the game. I can totally understand it bothering those that did have faith enough to shell out large sums of money though. I can also see it bothering others simply on principle.

DrBo42

As I've not followed Elite since the Kickstarter, could you make a list? I see the betrayalton sentiment often enough surrounding Elite, but rarely see any concrete claims to substantiate it.

The major cut feature was an offline version of Elite Dangerous. It was promised in the Kickstarter (some people backed it just for this feature) and then they cut it a week or so before launch. Then people tried to get refunds and most if not all couldn't because they downloaded and played the beta etc. That was fucked. Other than that I can't think of any betrayals, just god awful communication and a complete lack of a roadmap.

DrBo42

Do I need to do any work to get a Xbox controller working with this game? Or is it automatic when I plug it in?

You might need to go into options and set the controls to a gamepad but that's about it. I think I went with the advanced gamepad or advanced xbox controller setup at launch, was very competent. Enjoy!

Sounds like Braben's been browsing GAF. Confirms planetary landings and EVA coming to PC first.

“There is more free stuff to come, but I don’t want to pre-announce what they are!” laughed Braben. “But, yes, there are paid things to come as well. I’m very, very excited about where we are.” Braben was unfortunately cagey on actual upcoming features we might see, but he did re-confirm that both the planetary landings and third-person walk-around-the-ship mode were coming—and, importantly, that those features would come to PC first.

On that last point, Producer Ben Dowie reiterated that Xbox One and PC players won’t be playing head-to-head—although they’ll be playing in the same simulated universe, they’ll never encounter each other in space, likely because Microsoft’s Xbox patch cycle adds complexity to Frontier’s game update procedure. This means that PC players and Xbox players will often wind up on different clients, which means no head-to-head play. To that end, anticipated PC-centric features will likely land on PC first.

Speaking of anticipated features: we asked Braben where the rest of the promised ships were, since there are still multiple announced-but-unreleased ships like the Panther Clipper and the Federal Corvette. “There are more to come,” Braben said slowly, “and we haven’t announced when those will be, but they are in plan.”

“Are there any ships that haven’t been announced that are still coming?” I asked.

Braben smiled, then nodded and said, “There’s more.”

Other stuff coming:

We then ran down sort of a grab-bag of other questions. More ship decorations are coming, but there’s no word yet on custom paint jobs or decals—nor is there any word yet on being able to name your ship. There are no changes planned to separate solo and online saves, and players will continue to inhabit the same shared galaxy whether they’re in solo or multiplayer—again, continuing with Braben’s contention that there’s no ‘right’ way to play.

More standardized online gaming conventions like clans or formalized player organizations aren’t in the cards, at least not for the foreseeable future. VR support for headsets other than the Oculus Rift will be handled on a case-by-case basis, but Frontier believes very strongly in VR and definitely wants to go in that direction. And there aren’t any plans at this moment to expand beyond 32 players in each instance—but it’s always a possibility in the future.

As we wrapped, Braben wanted to reiterate that the CQC timed exclusive shouldn’t be considered a sign of a shift in priorities from Frontier, and that, in his words, “There are more exciting things coming to PC this year.”

Are one of those things the Elite universe’s big bad guys, the Thargoids? Braben gave us the same answer to that as he’s given us in the past: he smiled, paused a moment, and said, “They are coming.”

Burny

Other than that I can't think of any betrayals, just god awful communication and a complete lack of a roadmap.

There have certainly been issues with communication, like the first powerplay week being shorter than 7 days. These issues sting, but they don't seem to happen out of spite. Couldn't claim that for some of the people's reactions to pretty much everything FD does.

As for the roadmap: I'm not sure they have to reveal that. It would of course be nice to have a tentative release window for promised features or even knowledge about planned features from a player perspective, but what effect would that have? Would that reassure people? The bitching going on is already hardly bearable. Imagine there would be delays, things would have to be cut or there are general changes due to unforeseen circumstances - as there will be, because there always are. Better not to make promises that you can't keep.

DrBo42

There have certainly been issues with communication, like the first powerplay week being shorter than 7 days. These issues sting, but they don't seem to happen out of spite. Couldn't claim that for some of the people's reactions to pretty much everything FD does.

As for the roadmap: I'm not sure they have to reveal that. It would of course be nice to have a tentative release window for promised features or even knowledge about planned features from a player perspective, but what effect would that have? Would that reassure people? The bitching going on is already hardly bearable. Imagine there would be delays, things would have to be cut or there are general changes due to unforeseen circumstances - as there will be, because there always are. Better not to make promises that you can't keep.

Absolutely. Everyone understands that things shift and change but keeping people informed is more beneficial than letting people wonder.

Mengy

Good news on the 1st discovery exploration bug that is in game right now:

QA-Kae said:
Hi everyone,

Just to update everyone on the situation here, this bug is confirmed to be a visual bug only and it only affects certain systems, the original player who first discovered these planets will be restored when everything is fixed

Thanks!

So the sever database is fine, it's just displaying incorrect names due to a table merge error. It will be fixed soon via a server patch!

Soi-Fong

A roadmap would actually be a good thing to reveal. As this thread shows as well as r/EliteDangerous and the official Frontier forums, people have stopped playing the game because people are starting to get bored with the game.

They need to at least have some sort of small preview to excite the fans to keep playing.

Burny

I'm still not convinced that giving out a roadmap would help them in any way. And I'm certainly not convinced they owe it to anybody.

Those who are bored with the game now will be entertained by a roadmap for just as much longer, as it takes them to read it and comment on it. Everybody will want to play armchair analyst, condemn anything they're not liking, suggest what else simply has to be on the roadmap (because those features should've been in there at launch and take all of a week to implement etc.), complain how far out the updates are and call each other's and FDev's moms names. Basically, just what they are doing now.

It gets harmful however, should it turn out that FDev can't fulfil the roadmap, either because features can't make it in or timelines can't be held. If reactions to CQC on XBone here and elsewhere are a measure to go by, they'll simply be scalped. You should simply never promise something, if you can't be reasonable sure that you can fulfill it.

As for showing EVA/planetary landing expansion: My money is on it arriving sometime next year after what they showed this E3, maybe even later in the second half. 1+ year seems like a reasonable timeframe for a major paid expansion. If that's the case there'll still plenty of time to show it off before release.

Mengy

I'm still not convinced that giving out a roadmap would help them in any way. And I'm certainly not convinced they owe it to anybody.

Dean Hall, the creator of DayZ, said it best last night during the E3 PC conference when speaking about early access games and consumer trust:

Dean Hall said:
"If your game gets really popular and you are continually redefining your scope then you can lose perspective of your road map, and I think that's why I feel the public road map is super important.....I play a game called Neo Scavenger, it had a really great road map that told you what was completed and coming, and that is something I learned as being super important because otherwise customers don't have a picture of where your game is at or going"

Elite had a road map back during alpha and beta, but large parts of it remain incomplete with nary a word on when or even if they are still coming. The road map goes largely ignored now, and they have a new one which they are not sharing this time.

Zalusithix

The communication is all the more important when you're dealing with something that's been crowd funded. So shit happens and targets cant be met. Drop the target dates then and just list the goals and the rough order in which they'll be met. Update it as things change. Throw in a couple paragraphs explaining why something or another is being changed if need be.

Being intentionally opaque doesn't help FD as far as I can see.

Mengy

On another note, anyone here a member of the Mobius private player group?

https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php?t=38362

With my recent realization that player hacking is not only abundant in Elite but totally unpunished by FDev, I'm considering leaving open mode behind for this PvsE group. I'm starting to go on longer and longer exploration trips, and the thought of my return trip getting cut short by an invincible super Sidewinder who can destroy capital ships is not appealing to me at all. It's a huge group with over 9000 people, so at least I wouldn't be in an entire galaxy all by myself.

Mengy

Frontier used that spot yesterday on the PC show just to carry on pissing all over backers and fans for some cash.

Eh, to be honest, that's probably why David seemed so nervous!

Have to admit though, a modern Rollercoaster Tycoon game would be sweet. Planet Coaster just might turn out to be an interesting game.

Skyzard

Banned
Eh, to be honest, that's probably why David seemed so nervous!

Have to admit though, a modern Rollercoaster Tycoon game would be sweet. Planet Coaster just might turn out to be an interesting game.

I damn well know it is!

He had to restart when he just said the words about appreciating fans on PC.

Sure that sim game looked awesome, but we're still waiting for ED to reach its potential and just got that slap about xbox exclusivity...now a totally different game announcement from the guy.

Zalusithix

I damn well know it is!

He had to restart when he just said the words about appreciating fans on PC.

Sure that sim game looked awesome, but we're still waiting for ED to reach its potential and just got that slap about xbox exclusivity...now a totally different game announcement from the guy.

Eh, it lacked any gameplay to judge it by. If it's about as accurate as the Elite trailer was, then we're better off making no assumptions at all from it.

With my recent realization that player hacking is not only abundant in Elite but totally unpunished by FDev, I'm considering leaving open mode behind for this PvsE group. I'm starting to go on longer and longer exploration trips, and the thought of my return trip getting cut short by an invincible super Sidewinder who can destroy capital ships is not appealing to me at all. It's a huge group with over 9000 people, so at least I wouldn't be in an entire galaxy all by myself.

I'm a member, though I'm not that active. It seems really good for making the universe less barren. The ports around community goals get pretty busy but without the griefing of open mode.

Burny

CQC interview with lots of info on balance:

So what is Close Quarter Combat (CQC) Championships?

Jim - CQC is arena-based PVP combat in the Elite: Dangerous galaxy. It’s a separate option on the menu, and it’s about tighter combat spaces and a focus on dogfighting to find out who is the best pilot. It’s competitive, it’s immediate, and it’s a shortcut to instant action. It’s a place where I don’t have to care about the millions of credits I’ve got – I only have to care about improving my flight skills and combat skills. It’s a new way to play for those who want to play it that way. It’s a risk-free environment where you can be guaranteed a fair fight; you can practice, learn and then take those skills in to the main game.

What were the first things you considered when designing CQC?

Jim – Line of sight is the big thing. In the main game a lot of the fighting is in open space. Unless you’re fighting in an asteroid field most engagements happen in places where there’s not much to hide behind. In CQC we wanted to have buildings and structures in place, so if you are getting attacked you have the chance to escape, recover, turn around and fight back. The structures play a huge part in what makes CQC unique.

Dan – For CQC we reworked the whole sensor system so that breaking line of sight breaks target lock. You can duck behind an asteroid, stop and reverse out and you’ll have lost the person chasing you. You can go into a tunnel and the second there’s something between you and your enemy, they won’t be able to see you and they’ll lose their lock. You have to be clever and use that to your advantage.

Did you make any additions to CQC that go beyond the features of the core game?

Jim – Yes. The four ship power-ups are a big one. We have a stealth mode, a speed boost, a damage boost and a shield boost. We think those make for really exciting moments in the battle – a surprise chance to turn the tide.

Dan – Suddenly someone gets a power-up and everyone has to reassess their priorities. It shuffles the deck mid-game. If you’ve lost your shields you could go through the power-up ring and get your shields back instantly.

Jim – At the same time, we wanted the skills you’ve learned in the main game can be taken to CQC and vice versa. The best pilot will win no matter how much you boost your shields! You can even crash in to the rings, so there’s a little bit of risk/reward there, too.

Dan – And we have a ranking system. We track your progress and award XP, and you’ll unlock new weapons and modules as you play. We have leaderboards where you can compare amount of kills and your stats. It’s a very pure way to fight in the Elite: Dangerous galaxy for players who care about their Kill/Death ratio!

What kinds of modules can players install in their custom loadouts?

So you’ve got your Guns, Modules and Abilities. Modules might add to your shield resistances or boost duration, but your Abilities might dictate what countermeasures you have. Each ship will have its own set of Abilities. The Sidewinder will have Abilities that allow it to take more damage, the Federal Fighter will be able to lose people more quickly and chaff that confuses gimballed weapons.

What can you tell us about the new Federal Fighter?

Jim – Well we’ve been playing with it internally for a while, but the F63 Condor Federal Fighter is a brand new ship for players, so we’re starting from scratch there. In CQC you can fly an Eagle or Sidewinder – the same huge ships you’ll find in the open galaxy with some modifications – or the new Federal Fighter, which doesn’t even have room for cargo or a Frame Shift Drive. It’s much smaller and lighter, very fast and more manoeuvrable, but not as strong as the Eagle or Sidewinder. The Sidewinder feels like a small ship in open galaxy, but in CQC it’s like our tank class!

Dan – The Eagle is our damage-dealer. The Federal Fighter is amazing in those tight spaces you’ll see in the trailer. It can weave and dodge like no other ship in the game, and I can’t wait to see what players do with Flight Assist turned off.

And what about the maps?

Jim – In the Game Preview Program we’ll have two to four maps. They’re very different to anything you’ll have encountered in the open galaxy, and they’re each a unique design challenge. With normal level design you have flow channels, choke points and a map you could almost draw in two dimensions, minus some elevation changes. Our arenas are completely three dimensional and you’re almost always moving. We can’t create choke points, and there’s no way to force players through our tunnels. It’s more about the negative space than it is about filling it, but we have to give people places to evade and hide.

You want to make CQC a real competitive environment, so how are you balancing the game?

Dan – We’ve been playing CQC for months and balancing has been ongoing since day one. With this sort of mode it’s been critical to get it playable as soon as possible. We play Deathmatch and Team Deathmatch, and Capture The Datasphere, which is our CTF mode. We want them all to be exciting and competitive, so we need to play it every day all day to figure it out, watch people and get the feedback we need, but of course the real testing will begin with the community.

Jim – Right now we’ve got our programmers and QA playing with us, which is really helpful, but I can’t wait to have more players out there with us. Balancing is ongoing, and the feedback we get internally is completely different from the feedback we’ll get from all the players on Xbox Live. I think Xbox One is absolutely the best place to test the game, not necessarily because console players play differently, but because they’ll be new to the game. It’ll be a fresh perspective.

How do QA play?

Jim – Well, our testers are good, obviously! When we play QA they have a habit of moving around like a pack. They became incredibly dominant. They will bodyguard one ship and have four ships on either side protecting the central player. They’ve thought about the classes to benefit the team like professional eSports players. It’s about having that communication and having that synchronisation between players is absolutely critical for a team game. If someone is just flying off round the corner you’re going to be far less effective as a team.

Would you like the eSports community to embrace the game?

Dan – I have a lot of experience with eSports outside of Elite: Dangerous, and it’s something we would love but would never ask for. That community doesn’t come for free, and not necessarily something you can control. Very few games come out of nowhere and suddenly become a major eSport – Starcraft 2 had years to build up a following with the success of Starcraft, and League Of Legends took years to get where it is now. They’re both great games, and both great examples of how to build a competitive eSports-grade experience.

Jim – You need a solid playerbase, a watchable game and something that resonates among competitive players. Usually it’s the high skill ceiling. You look at the pros and you say ‘whoa, I want to be as good as them.’ It’s hard to maintain that high skill ceiling and still make it welcoming for new players. It’s something we’re aiming for, and if the eSports community wants us, we’ll be thrilled to support them.

Anything you’d like to tell the Elite: Dangerous community?

Dan – We’re excited about seeing what the Xbox One community thinks of CQC, and we’re excited to bring it to all of our PC and Mac players later this year too. We’re counting on your feedback.

Jim – We will listen to you. I can promise we listen to the community. We’re players too, and the community is essential to making Elite: Dangerous the game it is today.

Zalusithix

Jim - CQC is arena-based PVP combat in the Elite: Dangerous galaxy. It’s a separate option on the menu, and it’s about tighter combat spaces and a focus on dogfighting to find out who is the best pilot. It’s competitive, it’s immediate, and it’s a shortcut to instant action.
They should take a page from Star Citizen and integrate it into the game proper. With all the talk of people spending their lives in sims, the lore seems to already be there. Granted, I guess they'd have to get the walking around ships and stations functioning first.

They should take a page from Star Citizen and integrate it into the game proper. With all the talk of people spending their lives in sims, the lore seems to already be there. Granted, I guess they'd have to get the walking around ships and stations functioning first.

I think another interview indicates that they plan on integrating it into the game world. Maybe that will be there when it comes to PC/Mac.

Shifty76

Yep. Spend 99% of my time in it.
Regarding future content:

I've been playing since alpha and haven't come close to getting bored and I haven't even touched the new mining, powerplay or the new RES combat yet.
Guess I just love sandboxes as I have no issues at all generating my own story lines and goals with no rush to achieve them.

Others want a more focused game and immediate gratification. I feel that latter group comprises the bulk of the vocal "we want more and we want it now" crowd that are already bored with existing content, and would quite possibly quickly grow bored of those planetary landings etc too. After all, how much longetivity does being able to walk around your ship really give?

I like the focus on smaller ship PvP. The Eagle is super fun to fly but is useless for anything but AI opponents and it's far from optimal even then. Having it be a contender in this mode is cool.

I launched the game and for whatever reason I checked the bulletin board and there was a completed community goal waiting for me worth 12 mil Cr. I have no idea what it was for, I haven't played in sometime, but I'll take 12 mil Cr. thank you very much.

haveheart

Banned
So yesterday I was looking for synthetic meat. For two hours. Nobody's selling that.

Why is synthetic meat so damn rare in 3333? Did I look for it in all the wrong places?

Time Sensitive Matter:

I tried the combat tutorial on Xbox One and liked it very much.

Elite is $44 on Steam for about 2 more hours. Elite is $30 on Xbox One. I have a GTX 780. I don't think any of my friends on either platform are going to buy it. I enjoyed the Xbox controller controls and probably would play it like that on either platform.

What say you Elite-GAF, is the graphical prowess of the PC version worth $14? I also know about the early CQC on Xbox but that makes no difference to me.

Well, I think the game will look great no matter what. It runs in 1080p on X1.

If I had to choose between X1 or PC, it would come down to how important extra cool shit, like voice commands, head-tracking, and HOTAS controls, is to you. X1 has the comfy couch advantage which, no joke, is something to consider, especially as some of the paths you take (exploring, trading, mining) can take a lot of time.

Well, I think the game will look great no matter what. It runs in 1080p on X1.

If I had to choose between X1 or PC, it would come down to how important extra cool shit, like voice commands, head-tracking, and HOTAS controls, is to you. X1 has the comfy couch advantage which, no joke, is something to consider, especially as some of the paths you take (exploring, trading, mining) can take a lot of time.

I should've also mentioned that my PC is right next to my TV and I use it in Big Picture mode a lot. Thanks for the other feedback though

Pomerlaw

Time Sensitive Matter:

Elite is $44 on Steam for about 2 more hours. Elite is $30 on Xbox One. I have a GTX 780. I don't think any of my friends on either platform are going to buy it. I enjoyed the Xbox controller controls and probably would play it like that on either platform.

What say you Elite-GAF, is the graphical prowess of the PC version worth $14? I also know about the early CQC on Xbox but that makes no difference to me.

You will be able to play it at Ultra.
Other than that, I think Elite can support 16K textures. Of course, this is for the future, but if you have a 4K monitor or plan to buy one, you may think about it...

frontieruk

Time Sensitive Matter:

I found the X-One a bit laggy compared to PC, but it was the first time time I'd played open world so that could be the reasson.

Mengy

Time Sensitive Matter:

Elite does play well with an Xbox pad, even on the PC. That said, a true HOTAS setup and TrackIR take this game up to a level of awesomeness that will never be possible on an Xbox, not to mention the handiness of a keyboard for the multitude of controls. The game might look great and play well on the Xbox One but it will always look and control better on a PC, there's just no getting around that.

So the question really becomes one of value: is the cheaper version enough for you personally, or do you want the more expensive version which also opens up more potential? Of course, if you don't own a HOTAS setup or a TrackIR and don't really care to invest in them, then the choice becomes closer.

The community is something to consider too, do you want to play with the PC crowd or with the Xbox owners? That's probably less of an issue with Elite, seeing as how most of the time you alone in space anyway.

Time Sensitive Matter:

PC if you're going to buy a stick & throttle setup or if you'd like to be able to max out the visuals at some point in the future. Or if you have any interest at all in VR (I think flight sims will be the standard-bearers for PC VR).

XOne if you're more comfortable with the gaming/social experience on the XOne.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom