• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elite: Dangerous |OT| Every Man's Sky

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zalusithix

For newbies in a sidewinder don't be in a hurry to jump ship. It can be handy to have something that doesn't hurt when it goes pop the first couple of times. Also don't just concentrate on upgrading weapons. Look at the power requirements and upgrade those as well. Makes a huge difference.

It'd actually be useful for any newer player to go over the deployed power limit and play with module power grouping. Learning to manage power is critical for getting the most out your ship. Not everything needs to be powered up at all times. Having the ship kill power to your FSD / interdictor (among other things) while the hardpoints are deployed can allow for more powerful weapons/distributor/thrusters/shields/etc to be equipped for a given power plant without any side effects.

Take this Sidewinder which would normally be over power and suffer from issues like the shields going down when deploying the hardpoints. By setting the FSD and cargo scoop to be the first modules to de-power, the ship will transition into combat mode without issue.

Note: I am not advocating that a beginner set up a Sidewinder that way. Two rail guns isn't exactly beginner friendly.

Moreche

I'm looking to purchase this on my Xbone but is this similar to the elite that everyone loved on the BBC computer or something else?
Thanks.

Burny

I'm looking to purchase this on my Xbone but is this similar to the elite that everyone loved on the BBC computer or something else?
Thanks.

Yes. Imagine the old Elite with the capabilities of modern hardware, add multiplayer and you've got a good impression of what it's like.

For newbies in a sidewinder don't be in a hurry to jump ship. It can be handy to have something that doesn't hurt when it goes pop the first couple of times. Also don't just concentrate on upgrading weapons. Look at the power requirements and upgrade those as well. Makes a huge difference.

I'd say by the time they've grinded enough credits in a RES or navpoint with a sidewinder to buy a Viper (+ insurance rebuy cost), they're ready for a better ship. ;-)

Problem with the sidewinder is, that it is a flying coffin in terms of combat. :p Very agile, but the armour is poor, the shilds are poor and hardly any armament worth mentioning.

Zalusithix

I'd say by the time they've grinded enough credits in a RES or navpoint with a sidewinder to buy a Viper (+ insurance rebuy cost), they're ready for a better ship. ;-)

Alternatively, if they don't want to go the combat route, they can move out of the Sidewinder as soon as they have enough for the Hauler/Adder + insurance + cargo. From there, it's a fairly quick path to a Cobra where they have the option to either continue the trade path up to a Type 6, or switch back to a combat path.

Pomerlaw

Latest dev update : https://community.elitedangerous.com/node/205

wwzxgJI.png

I think the Adder is nice looking ship. Reminds me of like a classic cadillac with it's wings and curves.

Any one a little concerned about No Man's Sky flight mechanics? Each time I've seen someone land in that game it goes through the exact same sequence. I'm wondering if landing is automated someway. I'm really excited to play the game but I have a little concern that the game will be mechanically shallow after seeing some of the combat and flying and landing. That's the biggest thing going for Elite. It's content shallow but mechanically relatively complex and that's what makes flying so enjoyable.

Soi-Fong

Yeah, I think I was crossing developers in my head. Still, best to wait for the actual implementation before making plans.

Didn't want to give them control of your expensive ships? ;)

The Hydra is interesting, but in addition to being niche, it's also pretty much obsolete. With both Valve and Oculus releasing VR focused controllers, the Hydra (and the technology behind it) loses its purpose.

Well.. I mean, he botched the landing and exploded in a fiery way w/ the Sidewinder so that was a good call on my part. The second time, he went kablam and tried to tackle the station which didn't end well.. lol

I'm just a lil excited for the Hydra since I saw some of the HL2 VR videos and they look awesome. It'll be like a sneak peek for me for the Vive and Oculus inputs.

Anyway, he was just gonna give me the controllers since he said he has no use for them and doesn't game much on the PC. He asked me about my rig and the HOTAS I used and I'm pretty sure I scared him w/ the price and stuff. Haha He then asked if it's coming out on consoles and I said that PS4 will have the Morpheus which made him giddy since it'll be affordable for him then.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Any one a little concerned about No Man's Sky flight mechanics? Each time I've seen someone land in that game it goes through the exact same sequence. I'm wondering if landing is automated someway. I'm really excited to play the game but I have a little concern that the game will be mechanically shallow after seeing some of the combat and flying and landing. That's the biggest thing going for Elite. It's content shallow but mechanically relatively complex and that's what makes flying so enjoyable.

Yep, I've gotten the same impression from what little we've seen so far, planet landings appears to be an automated transition in No Man's Sky. I think the game will be interesting but not as promising as a lot of people expect it to be. Elite Dangerous will (hopefully) be more free form with the planet landings like Elite Frontier was.

Zalusithix

He asked me about my rig and the HOTAS I used and I'm pretty sure I scared him w/ the price and stuff.
Yeah, a good HOTAS + pedal setup costs a fair amount of money. It's not too dissimilar to good gear for driving sims in that respect. It's money well spent though, and flying without them just isn't the same. I'm currently contemplating a FSSB R3 for my stick, but that's a rather significant expense for something I'm not sure I'll even like.

On a somewhat related note, I have taken the past few days off from playing Elite due to the joystick causing shoulder pain. The Warthog joystick is a rather stiff stick, and that stress applied for 4+ hours a day over the course of multiple weeks without any off days ended up causing lingering soreness that I could feel throughout the day.

Based on Steamspy, it's looking like Elite Dangerous is going to sell in the 50,000 or so range during the Steam sale. To put that into perspective that is 1/3 of number of total Steam copies sold or registered from before the sale. That's not too bad for a game still at the $45 mark.

http://steamspy.com/app/359320

They had it on sale on their site as well though, now that it is on Steam, I imagine the sales on their site have become much less significant. Also, when the steam keys were made available to existing users, there was only a small bump in Steam owners. It doesn't seem like all that many registered their keys.

Edit:

Actually, based on the steamspy sumersale sales number tracker, which seems to be based on more up to date information, it's sold 76,491 copies during the summer sale so far (it's currently at 25% off again). A 55% increase in Steam owners.

http://steamspy.com/sale/

Search for Elite Dangerous.

Mengy

Actually, based on the steamspy sumersale sales number tracker, which seems to be based on more up to date information, it's sold 76,491 copies during the summer sale so far (it's currently at 25% off again). A 55% increase in Steam owners.

http://steamspy.com/sale/

Search for Elite Dangerous.

Wow, that's pretty incredible for a game at that price point. I wonder, for comparison, how many copies it's sold on the Xbox so far at it's $30 price point?

frontieruk

Problem with the sidewinder is, that it is a flying coffin in terms of combat. :p Very agile, but the armour is poor, the shilds are poor and hardly any armament worth mentioning.

I've completed two trade bb missions and can now afford an eagle am I ready to upgrade?

Burny

This quote struck me as pretty interesting:

Michael Brookes said:
The most obvious benefit comes from the income. We have chosen not to go down the route of subscriptions or 'pay to win', but we do need income to support the game, and so far most of that is coming from adding new customers, so it is in all our interests to get more people playing.

It'll be interesting to see how their payment model evolves over time. There is probably a limited target audience to sell the game to. As they're seeing the game as a service and as the game must have some running server cost, they'll have to secure funding down the line. At least if they want to continue ED as a service. There probably also has be to a bit more than a handful of ship skins, to make selling cosmetic items a viable long term income source.

Edit:

I've completed two trade bb missions and can now afford an eagle am I ready to upgrade?

If you can still afford the insurance value of the Eagle afterwards, sure.

Soi-Fong

This quote struck me as pretty interesting:

It'll be interesting to see how their payment model evolves over time. There is probably a limited target audience to sell the game to. As they're seeing the game as a service and as the game must have some running server cost, they'll have to secure funding down the line. At least if they want to continue ED as a service. There probably also has be to a bit more than a handful of ship skins, to make selling cosmetic items a viable long term income source.

Edit:

If you can still afford the insurance value of the Eagle afterwards, sure.

This is what I'm not getting either. If they want more income why didn't they release on both PS4 and XB1..? There's way more PS4's out there.

Mengy

This is what I'm not getting either. If they want more income why didn't they release on both PS4 and XB1..? There's way more PS4's out there.

I'm betting they will, but they had to release on the Xbox first due to Microsofts crazy multiplatform contracts that requires timed exclusivity. It was either release on Xbox first for half a year followed by PS4 or skip the Xbox entirely.

Shifty76

Sell off any components you purchased for the sidewinder then downgrade everything you can't sell to the cheapest available before selling.

Components still attached to the ship only return 90% of the cost, same as the ship. Components sold separately sell for 100% of buy price.

Zalusithix

They could also make some money if they sold paint jobs for the 'Conda. Considering that the paint options are the only way they can make money aside from selling the game, you'd think they'd focus more on that.

Burny

I'm betting they will, but they had to release on the Xbox first due to Microsofts crazy multiplatform contracts that requires timed exclusivity. It was either release on Xbox first for half a year followed by PS4 or skip the Xbox entirely.

Maybe they also simply had not enough resources to do both ports at the same time and chose the one that was easiest for them. Maybe MS asked?

Anyway, if they don't manage to port to a new console every year or release a paid addon every other year, I'm guessing we'll see a lot more monetization efforts on their part in the future. They seem to be opposed to both "free 2 play" and subscription models, but they might at some point have to chose one evil...

Flintty

I'm not so sure the clause would have applied here. Has there been official word to back this up? I thought it was just a partnership.

Even in its current state this game is a bargain for £25!

Just saw this was on sale.

I spent most of my time in EVE Online mining, is mining developed enough in this game where I can just spend my whole time mining if I wanted?

Flintty

I spent most of my time in EVE Online mining, is mining developed enough in this game where I can just spend my whole time mining if I wanted?

My early experiences with mining have been so frustrating that I have given up till I get a bigger ship. It is probably a result of both player error and poorly explained mechanics in game.

TheTrain

My early experiences with mining have been so frustrating that I have given up till I get a bigger ship. It is probably a result of both player error and poorly explained mechanics in game.

Oh well, initially, without drones, it was a pain. Now I think it's a bit more appealing but I haven't tried it yet

Mengy

Yeah, it's developed enough that you could simply mine for a living. It's much better now than it was at launch due to drones. Or rather so I've read, I've not tested the drones yet myself, but I'm going to once I get back to civilized space. When I tried mining last it was tedious and not super profitable. The new drones and new ores and boosted prices should alleviate much of that, I hope.

Soi-Fong

Maybe they also simply had not enough resources to do both ports at the same time and chose the one that was easiest for them. Maybe MS asked?

Anyway, if they don't manage to port to a new console every year or release a paid addon every other year, I'm guessing we'll see a lot more monetization efforts on their part in the future. They seem to be opposed to both "free 2 play" and subscription models, but they might at some point have to chose one evil...

Well, for me, I jumped in on Premium beta last year. I paid 150 dollars so I have access to all the expansion packs, that sorta thing.

Wing AI, at least for smaller ships is much better than when I last played. They actually get quite aggressive. I didn't run into a large ship RES yet, but the last time I played it was rare to have members of an AI wing get aggressive when you engaged one of their members. Now it seems instant and pretty intense as far as AI goes. In a Fer-De-Lance, a wing of Eagles isn't too threatening but at least they were pecking away at my shields and I did need to use shield cells to keep the action going. In the past, engaging smaller ships often meant never taking any fire at all.

Guys, I'm having crazy thoughts.

I'm thinking about:

1.) defecting to Arissa

2.) Selling my FdL and dropping $80 mill on the difference in PP points to buy my way to Rank 5

3.) RES hunting with the 170% (+100% @ rank 5, +50% #1 faction, +20% faction controlled system) bounty bonus @ what? Nearly 16-20 mill/hour.

In theory, I could buy back my full FdL after about 5 hours and be able to maintain that Rank 5 with minimal work. Maybe an 1.5-2 hours a day, then bounty hunting for dumb profit.

Is there any reason to NOT do this?

Zalusithix

Guys, I'm having crazy thoughts.

I'm thinking about:

1.) defecting to Arissa

2.) Selling my FdL and dropping $80 mill on the difference in PP points to buy my way to Rank 5

3.) RES hunting with the 170% (+100% @ rank 5, +50% #1 faction, +20% faction controlled system) bounty bonus @ what? Nearly 16-20 mill/hour.

In theory, I could buy back my full FdL after about 5 hours and be able to maintain that Rank 5 with minimal work. Maybe an 1.5-2 hours a day, then bounty hunting for dumb profit.

Is there any reason to NOT do this?

Well, you'll be defecting from your princess and lose access to the shields that you're half way to being able to purchase. Other than that, nope I can't see any reason not to do it if those numbers are accurate and it's what you want to do.

Personally, I think I'm going to set up a large 100+ system trade chain soon. It wont be as profitable as loop trading, but it should be an interesting change of pace. It's something I wouldn't dream of with a Type 9, but with the 'Conda, I can get around quite nicely. Still not crazy about the bridge/cockpit, but the old bird (snake?) is growing on me.

zB2lMZw.jpg

Just bought this on xbox one. This is so awesome! Im just flying around. Its so relaxing. Honestly, it feels so expansive and I have absolutely no idea what im doing but its really fun.

Flintty

Just bought this on xbox one. This is so awesome! Im just flying around. Its so relaxing. Honestly, it feels so expansive and I have absolutely no idea what im doing but its really fun.

That is pretty much what sold me (and the kids) on it. We're just starting to scratch the surface and it's mind boggling. My 8 year old Son is all over this and I'm so proud with how he has mastered docking and super cruising :D

GeoGonzo

Did it have to?
Can't answer for neojubei but I'd say there are small improvements they could make:

- In regular stations as soon as you touch down the elevator should go down and turn you around: you were going to end up with the ship in this position at some point anyway.
- Outposts should work as they do now but if you choose to take off without using the elevator it should simply release the ship: the turning is dumb.
- Medium dock blast protection flaps are kind of slow and weird. Why don't larger pads have them?
- Stations should keep a docking request list and go through it in order. Instead of "docking request denied" pilots should get "all docks are currently busy, please stand by." and maybe even an ETA, based on how long it usually takes to get a slot and how many pilots are queued ahead of you.

Well, you'll be defecting from your princess and lose access to the shields that you're half way to being able to purchase. Other than that, nope I can't see any reason not to do it if those numbers are accurate and it's what you want to do.

Yea, I made $10 mill in 2.5 hours in RES farming tonight. That would have been ~ 27 million if I was level 5 Arissa right now.

That shit feels bad. I don't need it right now, but that money could be going into my piggy bank for the next big Fed ship or an Imperial Cutter when they come out.

I'll stick around until I see what that Shield is about then seriously evaluate my options. Making 120%-170% more income doing what I like to do just makes sense. Or perhaps better stated, leaving that much money on the table considering my limited time to play makes no sense at all.

Zalusithix

Can't answer for neojubei but I'd say there are small improvements they could make:

- In regular stations as soon as you touch down the elevator should go down and turn you around: you were going to end up with the ship in this position at some point anyway.
- Outposts should work as they do now but if you choose to take off without using the elevator it should simply release the ship: the turning is dumb.
- Medium dock blast protection flaps are kind of slow and weird. Why don't larger pads have them?
- Stations should keep a docking request list and go through it in order. Instead of "docking request denied" pilots should get "all docks are currently busy, please stand by." and maybe even an ETA, based on how long it usually takes to get a slot and how many pilots are queued ahead of you.

Outposts shouldn't have directional landing at all IMO. The pad rotates anyhow so who cares how you land on the thing? With stations it's obvious what side you need to be on to hit the slot and thus your orientation in relation to the pad is set going in. Outposts, on the other hand have the pads oriented in different directions on different sides. Finding the pad, only to be on the wrong approach vector and having to waste time spinning around when the pad itself can spin is just stupid.

Medium dock flaps are slower for some reason, but post power play, they aren't as much of a problem. Before they never started going down until you finished the spin around. Now they start going down as soon as you start the spin, so they're pretty much already down by the time the spin is finished IIRC (been on large for a while now). I still don't know what the hell those things are though. They're pointless if they are indeed "blast protection flaps". The final thrust on landing is going to be retro-thrust towards the building. Likewise, on take off, the thrust is going to be going towards the building yet again. The flap is on the other side protecting nothing (and goes down for take off anyhow).

Landing queues would make sense. It's kind of silly having to spam the request over and over again. It's like the landing equivalent of "are we there yet?".

At least they improved the docking computer.

Yea, I made $10 mill in 2.5 hours in RES farming tonight. That would have been ~ 27 million if I was level 5 Arissa right now.

That shit feels bad. I don't need it right now, but that money could be going into my piggy bank for the next big Fed ship or an Imperial Cutter when they come out.

I'll stick around until I see what that Shield is about then seriously evaluate my options. Making 120%-170% more income doing what I like to do just makes sense. Or perhaps better stated, leaving that much money on the table considering my limited time to play makes no sense at all.

As far as power play goes, I'm in a somewhat similar position. If I were to join a power, I should be joining Zemina. Her general trade bonuses and profitable imperial slave production would augment what I'm doing. Aside from getting Aisling's shields, it doesn't make sense for me to join anybody else. At the same time, I don't want to join her because I dislike what she stands for. It's hypocritical, but passively benefiting from her bonuses doesn't bother me like actively joining her would. It's just a game, so it shouldn't bother me, but for some reason it nags on me.

Bought this for the Xbox One last week. So far I am utterly blown away and overwhelmed by it all. I have tried trading with limited success, been blown up a few times by pirates and am still trying to get my head around everything.

Love it, but I feel so out of my depth it's unreal. Back to reading guides and catching up on this excellent thread I go!

Tokolosh

Neo Member
Just want to say thanks for the OP for a very informative post!
I bought the game during the Summer Sale, just bought a Thrustmaster Flight Hotas X Flightstick and a EDTracker Pre-Built Device. I can't wait to try this out!

Zalusithix

Just want to say thanks for the OP for a very informative post!
I bought the game during the Summer Sale, just bought a Thrustmaster Flight Hotas X Flightstick and a EDTracker Pre-Built Device. I can't wait to try this out!

You're doomed if you end up liking the game. The stick will give a taste of what a higher end HOTAS is like, and then before you know it, you'll be shelling out hundreds for a higher end one with more features and pedals to go with it.

Mengy

neojubei said:
Does anyone know if docking has been improved?

What an odd question. Improved how, exactly?

On the list of things that need to be improved in Elite Dangerous, docking would be about # 547 on my list. Probably lower actually!

Tokolosh

Neo Member
You're doomed if you end up liking the game. The stick will give a taste of what a higher end HOTAS is like, and then before you know it, you'll be shelling out hundreds for a higher end one with more features and pedals to go with it.
Well, that is a price I am willing to pay if it comes to that:)

Zalusithix

according to steamspy, 55,702 people bought elite: dangerous during the summer sale.

#8, if sorted by revenue.

Good for FD's bottom line. I have to wonder how many will actually end up playing the game though. Steam sales tend to get lots of people buying games just to backlog them immediately.

according to steamspy, 55,702 people bought elite: dangerous during the summer sale.

#8, if sorted by revenue.

I saw that. The numbers I posted earlier were revised way down. The Sales algorithm must have had an issue. Overall though, that's a pretty good result for a game selling at that price.

Good for FD's bottom line. I have to wonder how many will actually end up playing the game though. Steam sales tend to get lots of people buying games just to backlog them immediately.

I'm sure there is still a lot of that, but that tends to be less common when the price of the game isn't in the impulse buy range. It's lowest price was still $45 during the sale.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom