• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elite: Dangerous |OT| Every Man's Sky

Status
Not open for further replies.
Make sure you're in the blue region of the throttle. An eagle should be able to out-turn most opponents.
You can use up/down thrusters to decrease/increase the radius of your turn - or use Flight-Assist-off to get the enemy in your sights ASAP.

However, the AI is technically in Flight-Assist-off all the time, with full individual control of thrusters. If it decides to boost away and skid-turn towards you, it can be very hard to avoid it targeting you.

Ultimately, the Eagle is poorly shielded/armoured and that will cause you to lose a lot of fights. In a collision, damage is based on the speed/mass (I think). The Eagle will come of worse against anything except a Sidewinder or Hauler.

The Imperial Eagle seems a bit of a waste, but I guess it's the new super-ship for CQC.
In the main game, people aren't going to be flying 100K ships for very long. The low end is also crowded with alternatives.
I'd like to see some new ships between 5 and 50 million. For combat, it's the Vulture, then a huge gap to the Fer-de-Lance. There are also big gaps between the Asp, Clipper, Python and Anaconda for multirole ships.

I hope they fix the background simulation so that minor factions become controllable. At the moment it's bugged to fuck and there are way too many hidden variables (e.g. the hidden cooldown mechanic) that makes influencing minor factions a complete waste of time.
Hell, Zach can't even flip his home system to be controlled by a Federation minor faction, despite being the biggest power with lots of player groups to help.
How did FD let the President of the Federation have his seat of power in an independent system... I mean, someone had to actively select his home base.
I think that Winters' supporters should be demanding to see Hudson's birth certificate....

Bydobob

Ah thanks, that's all very useful. I'm always in the blue section but could perhaps use my thrusters more to change the size of my turns. I've made lots of upgrades to improve resilience but probably better I invested in a different ship altogether.

I'm also very interested in how Frontier have tackled black holes in this game, are they common?

Black-Hole-Explorers.jpg

Don't get too close!

Pomerlaw

Ah thanks, that's all very useful. I'm always in the blue section but could perhaps use my thrusters more to change the size of my turns. I've made lots of upgrades to improve resilience but probably better I invested in a different ship altogether.

Don't forget power management. With more pips to "ENGINE", you will have more speed and faster turn rate. Pretty useful against fast opponents.

Also, remember to check for weight when you buy something. Less weight = more agility.

Sometime I turn FA OFF and use BOOST to turn really quickly.

Another note... Remember in this game pitch and roll are king... If you face an opponent, try to go to the side with side trusters. He will have more difficulty hitting you then if you down or up over him. When I face an quick opponent, I use side trusters, then hit FA OFF, roll my ship and pitch to hit him while my momentum brings me sideways and away from his lasers...

Eagle is a great little ship, really fun to fly (although its bigger than most people think, Elite ships are HUGE).

Exploring in Elite is either something enjoy or something you don't. Personally it's my favorite thing to do in the game, I can waste dozens of hours just looking for scenic spots to take a good screenshot, or seeing a nebula up close for the first time.

No, it's not that simple. Exploration can be enjoyable to a much wider audience but it's not because:

1.) It is the most feature-limited thing to do in the game. honk a system, fly just close enough to planets to get a detailed scan.

2.) Rinse and repeat.

That's the problem. It's tedious and endlessly shallow in terms of simple goals and accomplishments. Again, the definition of "ocean wide and and inch deep." And while it's true that not everyone would like it if it were more robust, the reality right now is that it's impossible to tell. It'd be like trying to suggest to me that people don't like swimming when the pond is only deep enough to submerge their feet in.

Because there is currently so little incentive to as you said, stop and look for scenic shots other than a personal motivation to do so, most people don't. And in a game where the core incentive is financial gain, simple sight-seeing is a cool time sink but also one that provides absolutely no reward of any kind.

You know what would make exploration feel cooler with little added effort from FD? A "Advanced Geographical Scan" module that would cost and provide scans worth several times more than a detailed surface scanner. Such a scanner would require you to drop out of supercruise within some really close distance to the planet/star/whatever and orbit the planet once while the scanner does it's work. May take idunno...maybe 30 seconds - 10 minutes depending on the actual size of the celestial body being scanned. For example, creating a "Detailed Surface Map" of Betelgeuse should take significantly longer than scanning Pluto, for example. So you get to enjoy and appreciate the time put into the engine that creates these 400 billion star systems while actually reaping a reward so that you can continue progressing through the game.

So basically you'd look like this:

At every planet in a system.

I think that would be awesome. I really do think adding something which seems so basic would make that ocean a little deeper, more enjoyable and more appreciable. So that could be a 3rd level of scanning with the 4th level of scanning being in-atmosphere/landing scans (which could come much later of course).

I think I'll drop this on the dev forum. I think it's a good idea and probably would cost them very little time/investment to create. the tools are already there in the current scanner system. It would just need to be limited to regular space speeds and super close proximity. But no, simply saying "it's not for everyone" is a cop-out. Nothing is ever "for everyone". It needs to be better and more feature-filled and play to the strengths of the engine and planet designs that are there but are so often skipped over.

Bydobob

Don't forget power management. With more pips to "ENGINE", you will have more speed and faster turn rate. Pretty useful against fast opponents.

Also, remember to check for weight when you buy something. Less weight = more agility.

Sometime I turn FA OFF and use BOOST to turn really quickly.

Another note... Remember in this game pitch and roll are king... If you face an opponent, try to go to the side with side trusters. He will have more difficulty hitting you then if you down or up over him. When I face an quick opponent, I use side trusters, then hit FA OFF, roll my ship and pitch to hit him while my momentum brings me sideways and away from his lasers...

Eagle is a great little ship, really fun to fly (although its bigger than most people think, Elite ships are HUGE).

Useful again, thank you.

You know what would make exploration feel cooler with little added effort from FD? A "Advanced Geographical Scan" module that would cost and provide scans worth several times more than a detailed surface scanner. Such a scanner would require you to drop out of supercruise within some really close distance to the planet/star/whatever and orbit the planet once while the scanner does it's work. May take idunno...maybe 30 seconds - 10 minutes depending on the actual size of the celestial body being scanned. For example, creating a "Detailed Surface Map" of Betelgeuse should take significantly longer than scanning Pluto, for example. So you get to enjoy and appreciate the time put into the engine that creates these 400 billion star systems while actually reaping a reward so that you can continue progressing through the game.

I think I'll drop this on the dev forum. I think it's a good idea and probably would cost them very little time/investment to create. the tools are already there in the current scanner system. It would just need to be limited to regular space speeds and super close proximity. But no, simply saying "it's not for everyone" is a cop-out. Nothing is ever "for everyone". It needs to be better and more feature-filled and play to the strengths of the engine and planet designs that are there but are so often skipped over.

Great idea but I think planetary data of any meaningful detail would require more work than you expect. Too few variables and they'd end up being samey.

Useful again, thank you.

Great idea but I think planetary data of any meaningful detail would require more work than you expect. Too few variables and they'd end up being samey.

Good point. Maybe they can add some additional scans to run, maybe some tests to do. There are lots of modules on these ships and exploration ships use almost none of them. Atmospheric samples with the hard points? Mineral samples from asteroid fields?

Put the thinking caps on, FD!

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
We have our first EVE-esque story.

https://plus.google.com/+IainMcC/posts/YjQiPjuk58w

Community came together to welcome back (and protect) an explorer after a 2 month voyage. He's killed by the welcome party.

And that's why I play in the Mobius Group when I'm exploring. I don't mind open most of the time, but when it comes to explorers the risk simply does not equal the reward of playing in open, it's silly how lopsided it is.

DrBo42

And that's why I play in the Mobius Group when I'm exploring. I don't mind open most of the time, but when it comes to explorers the risk simply does not equal the reward of playing in open, it's silly how lopsided it is.

It's the only path with real loss possibility. Everything else you're bound by ship or cargo amount but exploring is limitless. Must have been crushing.

Dangit I wish I could share some of the screenshots I've taken on the Xbone. I've seen some things. Amazing things. :p

We have our first EVE-esque story.

https://plus.google.com/+IainMcC/posts/YjQiPjuk58w

Community came together to welcome back (and protect) an explorer after a 2 month voyage. He's killed by the welcome party.

And that's why I play in Solo mode, until Private becomes available on the One. Damn. That's terrible. So much data lost....

Zalusithix

Dangit I wish I could share some of the screenshots I've taken on the Xbone. I've seen some things. Amazing things. :p

And that's why I play in Solo mode, until Private becomes available on the One. Damn. That's terrible. So much data lost....

Private mode wouldn't necessarily have prevented it. Unless the private group is only consisting of people you personally know, somebody can always get in with less than noble intentions. Granted, they'll get kicked out once they make an ass of themselves, but in a case like this, that one time is all it takes to have a huge consequence.

Private mode wouldn't necessarily have prevented it. Unless the private group is only consisting of people you personally know, somebody can always get in with less than noble intentions. Granted, they'll get kicked out once they make an ass of themselves, but in a case like this, that one time is all it takes to have a huge consequence.
Very true. But my private group would consist of my good friends who also play. Pretty small chance to no chance of griefing unless it was widely accepted as being okay at the time.

Ugh. Reading that story makes me sad. People can be so crappy.

Does this game require a beast gpu to run well? Or would my hd6870 do fine?

Are there ever free steam weekends for this game, I've been wanting to try it for ages and finally upgraded my pc but 50 euros is a lot for something I'm probably 90 percent likely to bounce right off of without being able to try it first.

Zalusithix

Are there ever free steam weekends for this game, I've been wanting to try it for ages and finally upgraded my pc but 50 euros is a lot for something I'm probably 90 percent likely to bounce right off of without being able to try it first.

Steam has time enforced refunds now. You're plenty able to test the game out and see if it has performance issues on your machine at settings that you find acceptable in the refund window. It wont be nearly enough time to really get a feel for the game though. Heck, even a free weekend would be pushing it.

Shifty76

I have a 6870 and it runs just fine at 1080p

Repo Man

Ok fuck this powerplay bullshit. I know I'm a bit of a noob and probably thick as shit but for the life of me I just can't figure out how this powerplay is supposed to work even though I've read up on guides and watched vids. The way I feel is that if I find a mechanic in a game awkward or frustrating to learn regardless of my best efforts, then its just not for me and that's exactly my Powerplay experience.

I keep trying to deliver some damn reports to systems that on the galaxy map appear to be being prepped for expansion only to arrive at a station ( or stations ) and having no way of delivering these reports. I dunno... Quit my power and decided to get back to playing my way which worked alright for me before all this powerplay nonsense.

Shifty76

Ok fuck this powerplay bullshit. I know I'm a bit of a noob and probably thick as shit but for the life of me I just can't figure out how this powerplay is supposed to work even though I've read up on guides and watched vids. The way I feel is that if I find a mechanic in a game awkward or frustrating to learn regardless of my best efforts, then its just not for me and that's exactly my Powerplay experience.

I keep trying to deliver some damn reports to systems that on the galaxy map appear to be being prepped for expansion only to arrive at a station ( or stations ) and having no way of delivering these reports. I dunno... Quit my power and decided to get back to playing my way which worked alright for me before all this powerplay nonsense.

It can be a little confusing at first. I just go to enemy space and undermine them by killing their transport ships for 15 merits per kill.

Apparently ALD is allied with Patreus though, and she didn't appreciate me killing his ships. Oh well. At least I returned the supplies to friendly stations :)

And so begins my journey to the center of the Milky Way. Did two semi-long exploration runs to see if I had the patience and the temperament for such lengthy trips... Decided it was worth trying. Set out this evening. Not sure how long it'll take me, but I'm excited.

DrBo42

And so begins my journey to the center of the Milky Way. Did two semi-long exploration runs to see if I had the patience and the temperament for such lengthy trips... Decided it was worth trying. Set out this evening. Not sure how long it'll take me, but I'm excited.
God speed.

Repo Man

It can be a little confusing at first. I just go to enemy space and undermine them by killing their transport ships for 15 merits per kill.

I'll probably give it a go again at some point, perhaps try a different power or something. Its just that I feel as if they almost made the whole thing intentionally confusing and quite user-unfriendly which to me is absurd in a game that already has a fairly steep learning curve by modern game standards to begin with.

Day 1 progress on my journey to the center of the Galaxy, or until I get bored, or until I smash into a binary system...

I'm just over 1000LY out from Sol. Making decent jumps, and stopping to scan, scan, and scan some more- can't wait to see how much cartography data I accumulate when all is said and done- I've yet to come across any black holes or other oddities, and no earth-likes yet either.

Given the game preview state of the Xbone I can't upload some of my screenshots from my travels thus far. Bummer. But it's going well!

Love that cartoon. I've not jumped into danger, but I've seen a few binary systems that have a gap smaller than the diameter of the stars. I'm not even sure if physics would allow such a small gap without a crazy-fast orbital period.

Of course I tried to run the gauntlet between them... in a Hauler with no heatsinks.

I hit a heat-based emergency stop, just before the mid-point. Managed to get the hell out of there with about 30% hull damage.
I wish I took note of the system names, one of them wasn't too far from civilised space. I could go back and try again in a fully heat-proofed ship.

Burny

While slowly and casually hunting bounties an evening every couple of weeks :)p), I'm getting into a range, where I can look at buying the next ship after my Viper.

I'm undecided which direction I should go in though: Eventually, I want to go exploring. Should I strife for an exploration ship straight away though or should I look for an upgrade to my comabt ship first?

Should I grind for the ASP and turn it into an explorer? How much would an ASP exploration build cost? Is the diamondback explorer maybe the cheaper alternative? What are the Diamondback's drawbacks? The only thing I know, is that I eventually do want to go out exploring.

Or should I just stay with combat for now and look for an upgrade to my Viper? The Vulture looks tempting, but how much would a fully kitted build costfor that? More importantly, how much of an upgrade is it compared to a Viper kitted with two small beam lasers and a pair of medium multi cannons? That is to say, how much quicker would a Vulture be at destroying pirate ships in RES and CZ?

Assuming the Vulture is a decent upgrade to the Viper in terms of "bounty collecting speed" and cheaper than an exploration build, I'm leaning towards upgrading in the combat direction first., That'd later allow me to save for an exploration build quicker by collecting bounties.

I've got a T6 parked somewhere, which I could outfit for some trading. My first attempt at trading with the default T6 setup was far less profitable than my casual bounty hunting though, so I'd have to spend time on getting the hang of trading and outfitting the T6. Any useful guides/hints for finding the best trading routes/outfitting trade ships? Trading would be a minor occupation on the side though, I think I'll get a lot more fun out of combat.

Eventually, I want to go exploring. Should I strife for an exploration ship straight away though or should I look for an upgrade to my comabt ship first?

I turned a Cobra into an exploration vessel. I love the way it handles so much that I couldn't part with it, so I stripped out everything, stacked it with fuel tanks, heatsinks, and more a capable engine/thruster. I can't afford the top tier stuff right now, but I'm stopping at every star to scan planets anyway, so the jump distance is no matter for me. Wasn't planning on coming back anytime soon anyway haha. I'm just enjoying the trip and the sights. :)

Link: https://community.elitedangerous.com/node/244

Hi everyone,

For this week’s dev update I’m going to talk a bit about the next Xbox One GPP release and about some of what we’re working on for the CQC Update (1.4).

As we’ve already said the next big PC/Mac release is the CQC update, but as usual with these updates we’re expanding and adding to the game in other ways. Some changes coming in 1.4 will be to missions. We’re adding legal salvage missions, so you don’t need to be a smuggler to retrieve salvage – although smuggling will still be the more profitable of these type of missions.

Delivery, courier and smuggling will gain long range variants that can set destinations from tens to hundreds of light years away for long haul missions.* A new variant on the massacre mission will have higher numbers and greater time for a more sustained strike against the mission target.

We’ve also heard some players wanting a bit more challenge in their scenarios so an even more hazardous extraction site has been added to provide a more dangerous environment.** In dangerous systems the scenarios around the nav beacons can also be a high threat version if it has been compromised.

For Xbox One players we are currently in the submission process for the next GPP release. This will include CQC Championship as well as a host of fixes to the main game including various stability and performance issues. A change log will be posted on our forums once the updated GPP build is available.***

And finally there’s only a week until our Gamescom announcement – exciting times! :)

Thanks

Michael

* I like long range missions. This is pretty cool.
** My paper armor vessel shall stay clear of such silliness. :p
*** Excite!!

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Should I grind for the ASP and turn it into an explorer? How much would an ASP exploration build cost? Is the diamondback explorer maybe the cheaper alternative? What are the Diamondback's drawbacks? The only thing I know, is that I eventually do want to go out exploring.

Or should I just stay with combat for now and look for an upgrade to my Viper? The Vulture looks tempting, but how much would a fully kitted build costfor that?

For exploring, the a fully loaded DBE will cost about 22 million, while a fully loaded Asp will run around 44 million. Now, if you are willing to go without a class 6A fuel scoop on the Asp and only get a 6C or so, then the Asp only costs like 8 million more.

The DBE is a great exploration ship, but the Asp is superior in pretty much every aspect (except heat management). But yeah you pay a bit extra for that superiority. In reality though, when running for pure exploration (no weapons) and not caring about cargo space or combat, the only true difference between the DBE and the Asp is that the Asp can scoop fuel a bit faster. Is that worth an extra 8 million to you?

Now, for combat, the Vulture is superior to the Viper in every way, and it's awesome. But again it costs quite a lot more than the Viper, that also means it's insurance costs quite a bit more when you get destroyed. Lots of fighters stay with Eagles and Vipers for that reason alone. I think I have like 14 million into my Vulture, but I still have some upgrades to make to it yet. A Viper fully kitted would probably be like half of that?

Burny

Now, for combat, the Vulture is superior to the Viper in every way, and it's awesome. But again it costs quite a lot more than the Viper, that also means it's insurance costs quite a bit more when you get destroyed. Lots of fighters stay with Eagles and Vipers for that reason alone. I think I have like 14 million into my Vulture, but I still have some upgrades to make to it yet. A Viper fully kitted would probably be like half of that?

Thanks!

A fully A-kitted Vulture, if that is even feasible from a power draw perspective, seems to be around 30Mil credits, from what I gathered now. My already rather upgraded Viper cost probably well below 5 Mil credits. Still, A Vulture with two beam lasers is rather tempting... For not having to drive back to stations for rearming the multi cannons alone. My guess is that I'd have to invest 10-15 Million credits in the Vulture, before it gets into a range where it starts delivering on its potential. Mh.

Shifty76

While slowly and casually hunting bounties an evening every couple of weeks :)p), I'm getting into a range, where I can look at buying the next ship after my Viper.

I'm undecided which direction I should go in though: Eventually, I want to go exploring. Should I strife for an exploration ship straight away though or should I look for an upgrade to my comabt ship first?

Or should I just stay with combat for now and look for an upgrade to my Viper? The Vulture looks tempting, but how much would a fully kitted build costfor that? More importantly, how much of an upgrade is it compared to a Viper kitted with two small beam lasers and a pair of medium multi cannons? That is to say, how much quicker would a Vulture be at destroying pirate ships in RES and CZ?

Assuming the Vulture is a decent upgrade to the Viper in terms of "bounty collecting speed" and cheaper than an exploration build, I'm leaning towards upgrading in the combat direction first., That'd later allow me to save for an exploration build quicker by collecting bounties.

I've got a T6 parked somewhere, which I could outfit for some trading. My first attempt at trading with the default T6 setup was far less profitable than my casual bounty hunting though, so I'd have to spend time on getting the hang of trading and outfitting the T6. Any useful guides/hints for finding the best trading routes/outfitting trade ships? Trading would be a minor occupation on the side though, I think I'll get a lot more fun out of combat.
Vulture is a MASSIVE upgrade from viper. If you've never used large weapons before you really can't appreciate how much better they are. If you get one in Sirius space you could get started for 7-8m. I believe I posted a starter vulture build a few pages back.
Forget dual beams on it though. It's very tight on power as is.

As for exploring, just use your type 6. It's a very capable explorer.

Pomerlaw

Other than price, there is another advantage... In a Viper, you can easily runaway from anything, except a Cobra/Clipper.

Good luck running away from something in a Vulture. :)

Pomerlaw

Of course we’re not standing still even now. We’ve been working very hard for a long time on some truly mouthwatering new features which fundamentally transform the game, and are about to come to fruition - we’ll be making a big announcement at Gamescom next week!

- D Walsh, FDEV COO.

... hype.

Burny

@Shifty: Thanks, I'll look into turning the T6 into an explorer. :)

From Space is the new World War 2:

David Walsh said:
Of course we’re not standing still even now. We’ve been working very hard for a long time on some truly mouthwatering new features which fundamentally transform the game, and are about to come to fruition - we’ll be making a big announcement at Gamescom next week!

Also: 6th highest average play time per player on Steam. 64h average play time across all players (PC/Steam, XBone), close to 100h for VR headset players, Not bad!

Shifty76

Been in a few pvp scraps lately. Decided that my pve centric loadouts blow for pvp (SCB meta > pulse lasers) so I think I'll strip my conda and turn it into a trader then sell my FDL and buy a python.

3 x railgun, 2 x burst lasers and a shitfuckton of boosters, SCBs and heatsinks methinks.

Would do that on the FDL but power constraints and the fact that it melts if it even gets near an open flame suggests to me that the python would be the better choice. Plus then I get to use that sweet pirate paint job I put on it :D

I have been on a break with this game for quite a while know. So i have a Vulture and i'm more of a fighting guy is there anything interesting for me in Powerplay ?

DrBo42

I have been on a break with this game for quite a while know. So i have a Vulture and i'm more of a fighting guy is there anything interesting for me in Powerplay ?

You can choose one of the more combat oriented powers or spend your time undermining to earn merits. Undermining usually involves heading to the enemy powers controlled system and interdicting/killing their ships.

Mmmm, figure this would be the place to ask: any Xbone players around who're interested in grouping up? I've got one friend who just started playing the game a day or two ago (cause I keep talking about it :D) but he wants to learn the ropes a bit more before we wing up a bunch. So I've only played with someone else once, ha. Interested in doing that more, if I can

I'm usually on in the evenings. Spend most of my time just bouncing around exploring (still in civilized space) or running bulletin board missions. Pretty noobish still, but I'm having a good time

Sooo yeah, ha

You can choose one of the more combat oriented powers or spend your time undermining to earn merits. Undermining usually involves heading to the enemy powers controlled system and interdicting/killing their ships.

Does it earn good money (or RES are more efficient?)

A brown dwarf with a ridiculous ring system haha. It also had 6 planets that orbit it, and that whole system in turn orbits a larger star with its own planetary system. Exploring is great.

Had to take a photo of my tv and crop it. Can't share screenshots. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom