• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elite: Dangerous |OT| Every Man's Sky

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pomerlaw

The scale is incredible.

Just wait until you get inside a ring... It's a great feeling.

ISecg2I.png

(bottom right, near the white star, you can see a mining laser). ;)

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
It's a lovely game. I'm just holding back on playing too much because I don't think progress will carry over to full release. Did they have anything to say about that yet?

It's the full game if you buy it today, minus a few things here and there. Not sure when the actual game will launch though. Probably early or mid Fall.
I remember reading somewhere that they were planning on keeping one's monetary worth but not ships or something along those lines.

Bydobob

Landing there : Coming soon.

cBxzHRy.jpg

Beautiful detail on that planet. This game just keeps delivering:

19916438395_f33c70918d_k.jpg

19729742629_0fe8eff2cc_k.jpg

19293810254_8136891ea0_k.jpg

Also had a fabulous dogfight with someone where I got him down to 10% before he frame shifted into the distance right in my face. I was too awestruck to feel much disappointment.

Pomerlaw

Great pics.

Yes see someone FSD from 3rd person is really impressive. Sometimes I spot someone getting out of a station and I follow him just to see him go hyper hahaha

I do it with CMDRs sometimes, they must find me quite annoying. :)

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
No, I meant actually saving the screenshots. It doesn't give you the option to save them to One Drive or any place external of the Xbox DVR.

Sorry I misunderstood, yeah that's strange. You can't save screenshots to Upload/Onedrive but video works just fine.

Sorry I misunderstood, yeah that's strange. You can't save screenshots to Upload/Onedrive but video works just fine.
No worries haha. I should have said "share" instead of "save". :p

It's a strange bug/lack of feature, but I'm sure it'll get ironed out eventually. I've got some lovely screenshots I want to use elsewhere, dangit!

Hylian7

I had the most bizarre thing happen tonight. I interdicted a pirate wing, I think it had 6-7 people in it, some of them scrammed as soon as I got there, about 3 stayed around. Then I started taking them out one by one and then the most fucking bizarre thing happened, as you can see in this video, watch the Comms...

https://youtu.be/uNwXzd4fwsI

Bydobob

So I had 3 crashes last night. One that restarted the computer (no BSOD), one that brought up a Frontier apology screen, and another 'matchmaking server' error. Also, downsampling from 4k resulted in a perma-zoom effect when I Alt-tabbed back into the game, forcing another restart.

Anyone else had problems lately?

Pomerlaw

Would we be able to select a system out in unexplored space for our minor faction or does it have to be in civilisation space and have a station of some sort in the system?
It has to be an inhabited system.

Michael

So guys, when do we find our home system and start our neogaf faction? ;)

PKhROWJ.png

Screenshots not supported yet apparently.

Here's a brief clip I just uploaded though to demo video: http://1drv.ms/1HJOqyF

Alright, coming back to this, sorry--when I go to Upload, I find my recorded clip, press the Start button, and "Share" isn't an option. I can edit it in Upload Studio and then upload to OneDrive (I tried it, but it failed), but the standard "Share" option isn't there. It shows for you?

frontieruk

Alright, coming back to this, sorry--when I go to Upload, I find my recorded clip, press the Start button, and "Share" isn't an option. I can edit it in Upload Studio and then upload to OneDrive (I tried it, but it failed), but the standard "Share" option isn't there. It shows for you?

It went to his 1drv so I assume it was as you saw, it's how I got my videos off too, it's a known issue.

Qasiel

I had the most bizarre thing happen tonight. I interdicted a pirate wing, I think it had 6-7 people in it, some of them scrammed as soon as I got there, about 3 stayed around. Then I started taking them out one by one and then the most fucking bizarre thing happened, as you can see in this video, watch the Comms...

https://youtu.be/uNwXzd4fwsI

I've been having this a lot recently,too. It's definitely a wing-based bug as mine usually occur when I've destroyed someone who is wanted in a wing, but the other guy isn't. Today I also got spammed with "has deployed their hardpoints" in the top-right panel.

Hylian7

I've been having this a lot recently,too. It's definitely a wing-based bug as mine usually occur when I've destroyed someone who is wanted in a wing, but the other guy isn't. Today I also got spammed with "has deployed their hardpoints" in the top-right panel.

The first time I saw it happen I was just like "JESUS CHRIST HAVE I DISCOVERED THE MATRIX"

owlbeak

Stupid question - but I'm playing for the first time since Power Play...how do I join a power? Not really seeing any options at any station I've been to.

Edit: Nevermind. Figured it out :p

Played for a couple hours last night... The thrill of dogfights is just so damn good. And I finally escaped an interdiction! It was a good session. Made 90k in total before I logged off.

TheTrain

And all that time spent adds up to a lot of exploration. So far an incredible 11.3 million systems have been explored by players. At the current rate of play the Elite: Dangerous community will have charted the galaxy's 400 billion star systems in 23,417 years. We'll be finished by the year 25,432, so here's hoping 255th century computers are PC compatible.

Every Man's Sky

DrBo42

One thing I took away from that newsletter, they mention there will be a 'colossal' announcement at gamescom in 2 weeks.

Colossal as in planets sized, as in planetary landings ... but that's just speculation.

Just some interesting wording he used.
Still think it's just Thargoids. Can't imagine the team was big enough or focused enough to make landings happen.

DrBo42

The dev update did say the team is bigger than it's ever been. You're probably right, but crossing my fingers...

Yeah but I think that was mostly the xbox guys and community team being added. I'm sure they've added people to the PC side but I don't think it was in time to work on something as massive as landings. Next year, calling it.

Edit: Ultimately I think Thargoids will be the next needed step to deepen Powerplay. We'll most likely be seeing some sort of struggle between which powers get involved with the war, maybe temporary alliances between the 3 governments, resource gathering for the war effort, shifting front lines that need resupply, scouting missions to measure enemy presence. Then the fringe elements of the pirate faction or powers that didn't get involved taking advantage of the focus moving to the war. Would be the time to introduce salvaging and derelict wrecks/distress calls of civilians under attack.

Are any other xboners getting an error when trying to load Elite, saying that you need to insert a disc?

Edit: figured it out. Hard reset the xbox and it didn't give me the error.

arhra

It's a lovely game. I'm just holding back on playing too much because I don't think progress will carry over to full release. Did they have anything to say about that yet?

n o o d l z: Do you know what the odds are that we're going to see a wipe of our data from the game preview? What things are most at risk for getting wiped (e.g. I would think first discovery data would be difficult to merge with PC)?

As we add content like CQC to Elite: Dangerous on Xbox One we’re going to have to reset some data, but because the Game Preview is longer than our usual PC beta tests we’re aiming to keep as much progression as possible. Discovery data and Powerplay status will be reset, but we’re looking to ‘cash in’ everyone’s ships and modules so you won’t lose your financial progress, and you’ll be able to re-spec with a whole different kind of ship if you’d like.

Best of all, we plan to preserve all the Commander data, such as Rank, Credits, Progress to Elite, Xbox Hero Stats and Achievements throughout the Game Preview and even into the full game.

From a dev Q&A a few weeks ago.

Upload Studio works - you'll get the failed upload message (the regular Upload, er, upload will fail, as the game is flagged as non-shareable), but check your OneDrive and you should find the video there.

DrBo42

About 3,000 LY from home right now. I know I've said this before but man...they really need to update exploration. Only thing keeping me going is the hope that I'll find an Earth-like someday. Once I do, I'm heading back. Foghorn -> get close enough to scan worlds just isn't enough to keep someone interested after hours/days.

Jedi2016

Foghorn -> get close enough to scan worlds just isn't enough to keep someone interested after hours/days.
Don't scan them all, it's not remotely worth it. Open the system map and look for anything interesting and potentially lucrative (water worlds or earth-likes). If there's nothing, move on to the next system. I usually spend less than sixty seconds in a system before moving on. It's a technique eloquently coined by another GAFer as "toot-n-scoot".

DrBo42

Don't scan them all, it's not remotely worth it. Open the system map and look for anything interesting and potentially lucrative (water worlds or earth-likes). If there's nothing, move on to the next system. I usually spend less than sixty seconds in a system before moving on. It's a technique eloquently coined by another GAFer as "toot-n-scoot".

That's exactly what I'm doing. It's why I used the term "worlds" as I'm following this:

But even while doing the absolute minimum it feels like a chore. Or more accurately it's immensely boring.

Jedi2016

But even while doing the absolute minimum it feels like a chore. Or more accurately it's immensely boring.
Well, maybe it's not for you, then. I find exploration more enjoyable than trading, even though trading gives me more to keep me occupied (docking, running from pirates, etc). Even bounty hunting gets boring after a couple hours.

DrBo42

Well, maybe it's not for you, then. I find exploration more enjoyable than trading, even though trading gives me more to keep me occupied (docking, running from pirates, etc). Even bounty hunting gets boring after a couple hours.

I think the current implementation isn't for me but I love the idea of exploring worlds. We're just so restricted at the moment it hardly feels like anything more than sightseeing. But yeah I can't do too much trading or bounty hunting either. Everything is pretty shallow and repetitive across the board. /rant

Jedi2016

In my case, I put too many damn hours into it.. hehe. I don't even have a trading ship anymore, but I have a really well kitted Asp, and a decently-kitted Vulture, and it seems I'm always broke for whatever I want to buy next.

It's why I don't explore. Just doing an hour of it for a CG a couple of months ago bored me to tears.

When planetary landings come out, I'm sure it'll be more enjoyable for those of us who find the current feature set for exploration more worthwhile. They need to add some layers of complexity to Exploration in general. ATM it's just honking a system, then flying over close enough and waiting to scan a planet. Ocean wide and an inch deep.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
It's why I don't explore. Just doing an hour of it for a CG a couple of months ago bored me to tear.

Exploring in Elite is either something enjoy or something you don't. Personally it's my favorite thing to do in the game, I can waste dozens of hours just looking for scenic spots to take a good screenshot, or seeing a nebula up close for the first time.

Exploring in Elite is either something enjoy or something you don't. Personally it's my favorite thing to do in the game, I can waste dozens of hours just looking for scenic spots to take a good screenshot, or seeing a nebula up close for the first time.
Same here. I absolutely love exploring.

DrBo42

Exploring in Elite is either something enjoy or something you don't.

I feel like that's an unfair thing to say. You can say that when FD says "We're done with exploring. Our vision of it is now fully implemented." As it is now it's barely a rough sketch.

Bydobob

That's something I can't wait to come across. I'm also very interested in how Frontier have tackled black holes in this game, are they common?

So I'm winning more battles than I'm losing now, but still struggling to shake off anything agile that has the jump on me. Seems no matter how hard I turn my Eagle I can't get them in my sights without taking tons of damage first. Any tips?

I also got wasted by a 'mostly harmless' person crashing their ship into mine. Doesn't their ship also take a ton of damage? I was on 99% with half a shield so you'd think the odds were in my favour.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom