• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elite: Dangerous |OT| Every Man's Sky

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jedi2016

This is the first star I've seen spinning this fast- for a few seconds I thought the game glitched or was catching up to lag or something haha. Really damn cool.
I've seen other videos of ones spinning a hell of a lot faster, that one's almost leisurely.

It's also really damn impossible. At that rotational speed, the centrifugal forces would far exceed the gravitational force holding it together. That star wouldn't just be oblong instead of a sphere, but it'd be ripped apart and cease to exist.
Might want to read up on your science. Start with "pulsar".

eosos

Banned
So I'm about to get a new PC so Im wanting a game that will really push it. I'm thinking of getting elite: dangerous. Would ya'll recommend it? It seems pretty cool, but it has pretty meh reviews. But I'm really into space and sci-fi stuff. So yeah, just wanted to get some of your takes on it.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
When's the last time there was "new exploration stuff"? It's already the most neglected role.

Well, they considered the route planner upgrade an exploration buff, so there's that I suppose. Even though everyone uses it. And they added first discoveries a while back.

OH, and Power Play has one leader who can boost your exploration income if you spend dozens of hours doing combat first in order to achieve and maintain rank 5. There's that.

Other than those, nada.

Burny

So I'm about to get a new PC so Im wanting a game that will really push it. I'm thinking of getting elite: dangerous. Would ya'll recommend it? It seems pretty cool, but it has pretty meh reviews. But I'm really into space and sci-fi stuff. So yeah, just wanted to get some of your takes on it.

I'm completely enamoured of the game, yet I'm hesitant to recommend it.

It's probably the game with the "least content", that you can spend the most time in. Meaning that there are certain jobs you can do ingame to earn credits, but the game mechanics around those jobs are very basic and there is no narrated campaign whatsoever. On the other hand, in order to get to the big ships - if that's what you set as your personal goal - you'll spend a lot of time with any of the ingame professions.

The game's rendition of the galaxy is absolutely fascinating, but it could do with a lot more life in terms of it's politics and economy simulation.

As for your new PC, I can play ED with a 2012 laptop - many framedrops in supercruise notwhitstanding. If it's a higher end PC, you could try to play it multi-monitor or with a VR headset. ;)

Wreav

Banned
I've got my "it's fucking nothing" gif primed and waiting for the announcement.

I bet it's player to player trading OR ship walking, but my money's on player trading. One of the most requested features so far that doesn't involve a new FPS mode or plantary landing system.

DrBo42

Pass for now and come back after a few expansions. Game isn't particularly taxing or impressive on a beefy rig either.

Burny

I bet it's player to player trading OR ship walking, but my money's on player trading. One of the most requested features so far that doesn't involve a new FPS mode or plantary landing system.

Yeah, player to player trading and accompanying game mechanics would add a lot of depth and might be among the realistic expectations. That would require some mechanic to motivate players to trade however. Same with mining - something other than selling it at a station should be implemented with the ores you mine. Basically, some form of crafting and/or other player resource consumption is required.

Still, I would like a glimpse of the coming first person mode/EVA/planetary landing. Just to - hopefully - drool over. Oddly, I'm expecting to see more drool worthy stuff from Star Citizen at Gamescom and in the end, get more from Elite, even if nearly everything about Elite is less "flashy", except for its galaxy. At least the basic framework is in a playable state though.

Hey guys, so I haven't played the game for about 3 months since I kinda burned out after the grind to get my Imperial Clipper. Now I'm slowly coming back and I've pledged to a power, though I'm not sure how earning rep works.

I have a couple of questions for people who've been playing. Is there a website were you can check current power standings and which systems are owned by each power? Or is this information only available in-game?

Also, anyone have any idea how this runs on an Asus T100? I have one and I'm going to try it, but would like to get an idea from other people's experiences if they've tried it.

Mengy

My hunch on the Elite Gamescon announcement, based on their history of combat focused updates so far:

They will announce the Thargoids update coming for 1.5, after CQC, where the famous aliens start to show up all over the galaxy and are hostile, attacking ships on sight. Stations and Power Play factions will start to offer combat missions asking players to go Thargoid hunting in order to stem the tide. There will be two or three new combat oriented ships to help players against the Thargoids as well. There will be special rewards and ranks for players who kill lots of Thargoids.

Other more minor features of the update:

- traders will get a logbook feature where you can review trades you've made and pricing
- miners will get bins improved slightly, they now retain ore assignments until changed by the player
- Power Play will get some balance tweaks (combat focused)
- Exploration gets a promise for some attention later on next year

Burny

- Exploration gets a promise for some attention later on next year

Which will be planetary landings and big, procedurally generated, game hunting and a fourth - hunter - rank on earth like planets on the opposite side of the galaxy.

What? One can dream?! ;p

Edit: On second thought, turning planetary landing on unknown, inhabited planets into a kind of ark-like survival/expedition/hunting game would be insanely awesome in Elite. Rich posh people in Fer De Lances travelling to far flung corners of the galaxy to go on outdoor hunting trips with insufficient camping equipment. Ship gets damashed on atmosphere entry and the crew is stranded. Jurassic Park 3 on an alien world ensues. >:D
Edit2: Probably not quiet like Ark. That might (?) require a client-server architecture...

Zalusithix

How much external pressure can the Elite ships take anyhow (and chemical resistance for that matter)? Screw planetary landings on some Earthlike. I want to go dive into a gas giant. =P

Bydobob

On that basis alone absobloodylutely. Game is the most convincing representation of space yet. Simply piloting your ship around star and planetary systems and marvelling at the views is worth the admission price. Combat is surprisingly fun too, and there's lots of satisfaction in upgrading as you go. I'm probably too blinded by love to see its warts though, give me a few more weeks and I may share the cynicism of some of the posters here!

As for being a game that will push your system, not the best example. Aside from the framerate hitches in Supercruise when you hit a busy area, you should get good performance at max settings with a moderately powerful rig. My 4670k/780 is good enough for 1440p even.

Zalusithix

I'm probably too blinded by love to see its warts though, give me a few more weeks and I may share the cynicism of some of the posters here!
To be fair, by the time you've spent enough hours in the game to get cynical about it, you'll have gotten your money's worth out of it.

Pretty sure they've said you'll be able to explore gas giants :)
Won't be able to see a damned thing while doing so, but hey, some things must be done for science! ;)

The second Xbox One GPP build is going live today, there are significant server changes so the game will be offline from 9.30 am BST and will be online again by 16.00 BST. Here are the highlights of the build:

- Added CQC - which is also a 4th career path to Elite.
3 Game Modes - Deathmatch, Team Deathmatch and Capture the Flag
2 Maps
3 CQC Specific Ships (Fed Fighter, Sidewinder & Eagle)
15 Loadouts (5 for fed fighter, 6 for sidewinder & 4 for eagle)
3 CQC Achievements
1 Hero Stat (Progress to Elite)
- Implemented Friends management, including Wings, Voice Chat and GamerCards
- Improved frame rate in supercruise
- Various performance optimisations
- Will be updating powerplay on a regular tick to sync with PC time frame. (Note: XB1 PP will be reset when we launch Full Game)

Note that we are having to reset the first discovered exploration data, but are keeping commander progress including ships and modules (the same thing will apply when we launch the final retail version of the game) ​and scanned data.

Nice.

Resetting first explored by data? Wow, pretty glad I haven't started my exploration trip yet, haha.

SOUNDS like the patch might fix the issues with Open Play. Does it make Private available now?

@DavidBraben
The #EliteDangerous Cobra has landed at #EDGC15 despite the blockade of #Calais Station! #Gamescom15
CLkDh__WoAAlmMf.jpg

Cobra has landed, huh?

hwI018H.png

Mengy

I'm going to allow myself to get excited here. I'm cracking open my cold shriveled heart, Frontier, don't make me regret it.

I'm not expecting anything mind blowing, most likely it's something combat related like always!
(pretty sure it's Thargoids)

Either way by tomorrow this time we'll know what it is!

Buggy Loop

Gold Member
They have been working on planetary landings for a long time now, i would be very happy to just get cold planet (no atmosphere) landings. That Cobra setup has sand as a surface... thats no space station :eek:

They have been working on planetary landings for a long time now, i would be very happy to just get cold planet (no atmosphere) landings. That Cobra setup has sand as a surface... thats no space station :eek:

Craters too.
Fully populated planets like Earth, especially Earth, must be insanely difficult to support (at a level as good as the rest of the game) Maybe they'll have asteroid landing first...

GeoGonzo

I thought they had already confirmed the announcement was NOT related to the expansions? Trying to dig up the quote. Keep expectations in check, commanders.

GeoGonzo

Aww why, I also want planetary landings :(

Anyway, I can't find the quote so maybe I made that up? Hopefully.

Still, I believe I have yet another untraceable quote for you, friends: Weren't they working on the "walk around the ship and stations" expansion before the "planetary landings" expansion? I recall them announcing it wih a video of a camera walking around a ships cabin.

Zalusithix

Now that I really think about the whole planetary landing thing, I realized how many potential problems await if they let you get out of the ship. Say you land on uneven terrain where the boarding ramp doesn't reach the ground... Accidentally jump out and you never get back in. That or any other situation where you could get stuck outside of the ship would be extremely annoying - especially given how finicky clipping/pathing issues can be.

GeoGonzo

Oh hey, I found some quotes:
Zac Antonaci said:
https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php?t=167367

[...]working hard on something we’ll be in position to announce in time for GamesCom. Our schedule is aggressive and we’re working hard to make it all happen.[...]

When will we be able to walk on our ships?

We have nothing to announce on this one, now or at Gamescom. Walking around on ships is in our plans, for sure, but it’s a very long way off.
[...]

So no walking around ships yet.

But still, they DID trademark Elite:Deadly... so who knows, could still be related to an expansion.

Can anyone launch the xbone version and start the game? I don't get the menu or are there upgrades going on?

A few posts up someone mentioned the servers were going down for an update.

Shifty76

Oh hey, I found some quotes:

So no walking around ships yet.

But still, they DID trademark Elite:Deadly... so who knows, could still be related to an expansion.

It absolutely boggles my mind that walking around ships is still so highly demanded.
Sure, I might do it once out of curiosity but I'd never do it again, and what exactly does that add to overall game play?

Seems like a lot of work for not much.

Burny

It absolutely boggles my mind that walking around ships is still so highly demanded.
Sure, I might do it once out of curiosity but I'd never do it again, and what exactly does that add to overall game play?

Seems like a lot of work for not much.

There are... implications, I'd wager. For one, it builds on the first person walking feature, which would be amazing - talking to NPCs in spaceships station bars or walking around on planets sounds amazing to me.

Then there are potential mechanics within the spaceships themselves. E.g. talking to NPC crew, repairing damage, boarding other ships in friendly and unfriendly manners, taking over other ships, looting derelict ship's. All things I for one would like very much. :D

Zalusithix

There are... implications, I'd wager. For one, it builds on the first person walking feature, which would be amazing - talking to NPCs in spaceships station bars or walking around on planets sounds amazing to me.

Then there are potential mechanics within the spaceships themselves. E.g. talking to NPC crew, repairing damage, boarding other ships in friendly and unfriendly manners, taking over other ships, looting derelict ship's. All things I for one would like very much. :D

Pretty much. Walking around ships is basically step 0 of implementing a half dozen other things. Without that basic functionality, you're forever locked into the captains chair. Either that or have awkward warp/load screens everywhere.

Elite is effectively working in the exact opposite direction that Star Citizen is. In Star Citizen, walking was always there. You're a person first and foremost. Everything is built around that. First walking around a hanger and in ships. Then flying the ships. Then fighting. Then a universe. Elite started with a universe, and is working down to the point where you'll eventually be a human in that universe.

DrBo42

Pretty much. Walking around ships is basically step 0 of implementing a half dozen other things.

My problem is that everything they've implemented "post-launch" is step 0. "Post launch" because let's be real, this game is early access.

Wings added! No group activity mission or content to take advantage of it.

Powerplay added! Essentially a new grinding tier with no real impact on the galaxy or consequence to your power losing status etc.

Sadly CQC might be their most fleshed-out addition yet.

Zalusithix

My problem is that everything they've implemented "post-launch" is step 0. "Post launch" because let's be real, this game is early access.

Wings added! No group activity mission or content to take advantage of it.

Powerplay added! Essentially a new grinding tier with no real impact on the galaxy or consequence to your power losing status etc.

Sadly CQC might be their most fleshed-out addition yet.

I have no arguments there. It's one of the reasons I didn't buy into the game right away. Some of the stuff should have absolutely been there right from release and then built off of. But if I had to choose from this (somewhat backwards) approach or not having the game at all, I'll take it as is every time.

Now if they had SC levels of funding, I wouldn't excuse them. They didn't though. Compromises had to be made somewhere to keep the cash flow going.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom