• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elite: Dangerous |OT| Every Man's Sky

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bydobob

Some people really are arseholes aren't they? There I was floating harmlessly in space, paused to go to the toilet only to find someone merrily destroying my ship on my return. I didn't even have any cargo or a bounty on my head. As for the interdictors, I got done three times before realising what the hell was going on. Seems people make a career of hanging around stars preying on noobs like me.

As you can tell my ship is still anaemic, but what little I have upgraded has made quite a difference. Fuel scoop in particular is a god-send. Apart from the convenience, it's quite a thrill riding those beautiful stars and flirting with death. The sound effects really capture the feel of the heat rising in the cabin and the panic. The sound generally plays a huge part in making space travel in this game so believable.

Oh, and I can answer my question about the anaglyphic glasses, or at least the red/blue ones: they suck.

Pomerlaw

Greetings, Commanders.

One thing we’re really keen to do is support player groups as much as possible. There are some really exciting ways that groups can get involved in the game now and we’re working on a way to let you submit Community Goals, create minor factions and perhaps even become a full power in the game. You can find out more about this HERE

Something else we want to do is make sure we are communicating as much as possible with groups. As you can imagine there are hundreds of groups and many thousands of people involved in those groups so it’s hard to speak to everyone in one go. For that reason we’re launching a ranking system called Frontier Ranks.

Firstly, these ranks have no effect on your ability to submit Community Goals, establish a minor faction or become a power, but they will allow us to support player groups as much as possible through closer communication. The ranks are more focused on being able to help the largest and most active groups, but we hope it will be beneficial to everyone, and inspire more amazing groups to come forward

There will be 3 recognised ranks of player groups. If you would like to be added to our list send us an email to groups@elitedangerous.com including your name, type (PVP/PVE), member size, website (if you have one) and contact name and email.

Dangerous – Dangerous groups are anyone that wants to be a part of the conversation. The only requirements are that you have a group and want to hear more news and updates from us. These groups will be added to the database and contacted via email when there are events, incentives or information that they might like to know about.

Elite – Elite groups are groups that have an established and thriving sub-community. They might have an estimate of about 50+ members, run regular events which can be promoted and are supportive of the ED team and community. These groups will be able to submit their activity to us to be promoted in our newsletters, social media or an events schedule which will be creating in the coming weeks.

Triple Elite – The largest and most engaged sub communities belong in the ranks of Triple Elite. They are likely to have a huge and super-active community, with many hundreds of active members and are a positive influence to Frontier and the community as a whole. They will also run public events weekly which we would be able to promote across all of our channels and on an event schedule. Groups that are Triple Elite ranked will be able to attend a regular Skype call, receive increased promotion, prizing for events or competitions (at the community team’s discretion) and ad hoc invitations to studio tours or fan events. As our player groups program develops over time, we’ll be looking at more ways to help the dedicated groups – the Triple Elite members will be the first to hear about what we have planned.

A few points to note about player group ranks are:

The ranks listed out here are just guides. Ultimately the more of a positive impact and community-centric group you are the more we can help support you.
The community team will determine the ranks of any given group
Groups can be removed from ranks if required
Rank benefits can change as and when required. They should be used as a guide.
The community team’s decision on rankings are final

Thanks,

Zac

https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php?t=167459

My stick finally arrived! I only had enough time to plug it in and check how it worked before going out. I was grinning and giggling the whole time while my wife stared at me with a puzzled look.

komorebi

This is slightly off-topic but for those of you who love the music in this game I have some recommendations. My favorite music to listen to the last few years is ambient electronica, whether its long form drone or space music, whatever; I love it all. There's a few great albums by Jonn Serrie that might interest those looking to stay in deep space all the time.

And The Stars Go With You (full album; this one's a classic)

Goldstone (from the album "The Stargazer's Journey" (can't find a link to the full album)

Thousand Star (full album)

DrBo42

I have to say that I'm not sure I get what they are doing here. Guess I'll just wait and see how it pans out?

They're taking steps to make player factions a thing or at the very least have the large player groups submit community goals or raise minor factions to power.

SmartBase

The Gamescom announcement isn't going to be space legs or planetary landings as per the developers, and here I was fully ready to get on board the hype train.

Do we have 30 ships in-game yet? Maybe that Federal corvette they've been teasing for ages might sate my appetite for more content.

Mik2121

It's been months since I last played the game. If I want to get some quick cash to check some of the ships out, what would be the recommended way to do it?

I want something that's not as terrible as my Eagle and has wide views of the outside (I know one small sized ship had them but can't remember the name now).

DrBo42

The Gamescom announcement isn't going to be space legs or planetary landings as per the developers, and here I was fully ready to get on board the hype train.

Do we have 30 ships in-game yet? Maybe that Federal corvette they've been teasing for ages might sate my appetite for more content.

Didn't know they confirmed no expansion. At least they won't get slaughtered on the forums come gamescom.

Definitely not 30 ships in game. Dont think we even hit 20 yet. Not sure what the current count is, lemme try

Sidey
eagle
viper
hauler
adder
db
db scout
cobra
asp
type 6
type 7
type 9
fed dropship
FDL
python
clipper
courier
anaconda

Can't think of any I missed.

Edit: Forgot the type 6.

SmartBase

Didn't know they confirmed no expansion. At least they won't get slaughtered on the forums come gamescom.

Definitely not 30 ships in game. Dont think we even hit 20 yet. Not sure what the current count is, lemme try

Sidey
eagle
viper
hauler
adder
db
db scout
cobra
asp
type 6
type 7
type 9
fed dropship
FDL
python
clipper
courier
anaconda

Can't think of any I missed.

Edit: Forgot the type 6.

It's a bit sad we haven't reached twenty yet when they were aiming for 25, and then 30 after that offline mode debacle.

The wording the developers use to describe the expansions makes it pretty obvious we're not going to hear about them at Gamescom, especially the way atmospheric flight was described in the newsletter.

I kinda want more interaction with stations, I never understood why they modeled these colossal station models but as a pilot you don't really interact with them.

DrBo42

It's a bit sad we haven't reached twenty yet when they were aiming for 25, and then 30 after that offline mode debacle.

The wording the developers use to describe the expansions makes it pretty obvious we're not going to hear about them at Gamescom, especially the way atmospheric flight was described in the newsletter.

I kinda want more interaction with stations, I never understood why they modeled these colossal station models but as a pilot you don't really interact with them.

You could say that about so much in this game. Powerplay is such a bizarrely disconnected experience while at the same time inspiring interaction between players. I can see what they want to achieve most of the time but man does their execution absolutely blow. Maybe the additions to the team are the needed difference, we'll see.

phoenixyz

It sounds like trading is still the most profitable venture, so "comparable income" probably isn't realistic when it comes to combat.

However, with a little bit more money, you can get yourself a Vulture, which is probably the best dedicated combat ship in the game. You'd probably want a few million more to properly outfit it, though.

The Imperial Courier is 2mil but I don't know much about it, as a combat ship.

Thanks, what would be a good starting point for a vulture outfit?

Burny

You could say that about so much in this game. Powerplay is such a bizarrely disconnected experience while at the same time inspiring interaction between players. I can see what they want to achieve most of the time but man does their execution absolutely blow. Maybe the additions to the team are the needed difference, we'll see.

I've been getting the impression, that they themselves regard the current state of the game as a kind of bare minimum implementation. Something to get into a releasable state and sell, rather than trying to implement every feature the games needs or could use before releasing it. Their claim from lavecon about having a "10 year plan" and what I've been seeing them add via patches supports the notion.

This approach to releasing the game blows for everybody, who can invest the considerable time into playing it and will soon be left out of "things to do". Yet, I'd rather have this approach than the Star Citizen's approach of achieving the highest possible fidelity in everything and then releasing at a unspecified point in time 1+ year after the initial date they promised.

The only thing were I can really fault FDev, is their stance about player group/guild features, resulting in a lack of any implementation thereof.

Buggy Loop

Gold Member
Their Starforge tool they use to simulate the planet's building blocks and how it will look over billions of years, for example, Pluto, and how it gets even ~close~ to real life, is really impressive work.

Anyway, this exploration screenshot collection is amazing, all screenshots are wallpaper material. He uses GemFX for tweaking the game's colors and contrasts, but it looks amazing :eek:

http://imgur.com/a/T7Ggr

HunRevan

Is there a way I can check that what systems or plants were discovered by me? (I m on Xbox so maybe its not available until release)

Pomerlaw

With a full galaxy, there is no end to the beauties you can find.

20JkZP1.jpg

Orlandu84

The only thing were I can really fault FDev, is their stance about player group/guild features, resulting in a lack of any implementation thereof.

Give me guilds, and I am playing this game weekly if not daily. I will come back once groups can have permanent stuff associated to them like EVE.

I envy those of you that can marvel at those vistas. I'll get there, eventually. 6M for an asp is a bit above my punching level. At any rate, this was a productive weekend. I smuggled stuff, scraped enough cash for a Cobra Mk III, kept smuggling and I'm well on my way to saving up my first million. I also got interdicted by the law, and couldn't escape. The law tried to kill me so I retaliated in kind. Managed to escape but now I have a "wanted" tag, hopefully those go away by paying fines. I also tried mining. FUCK mining, up its ass.

I'm thinking of trading my Vulture in for an ASP for a while to go sight-seeing. Where's the best place in Federation space (preferably around Sol) to purchase one + upgrades right now? Also, recommended builds for maximum jump distance and self defense?

The Bounty Hunting CG I participated in last night has got to be bugged. 300+ participants, 1.3 mil in bounties redeemed. It says I turned in 8600 CR and am in the top 15% The progress barely covers a sliver of the bar. It would take decades to successful meet tier one.

The Bounty Hunting CG I participated in last night has got to be bugged. 300+ participants, 1.3 mil in bounties redeemed. It says I turned in 8600 CR and am in the top 15% The progress barely covers a sliver of the bar. It would take decades to successful meet tier one.

1.3 million in bounties turned in by you, or by everyone so far? 1.3 million isn't a lot if that's the total amount redeemed by everyone so far.

1.3 million in bounties turned in by you, or by everyone so far? 1.3 million isn't a lot if that's the total amount redeemed by everyone so far.

Everyone. I apparently turned in 8600 cr. and that puts me in the top 15%. It turns out the minor faction the cg is being held by has virtually no wanted ships in the system. I turned in 1.5 mil cr in one run and of that 8600 cr were from the faction holding the cg. It's over in a few hours but it and several other Cgs right now were doomed to fail. 6 goals in total I think and none even came remotely close to the first goal. Participation is low but even if it was higher, it doesn't look like one I joined reached 2% of its goal. I have to think they were setup wrong.

Everyone. I apparently turned in 8600 cr. and that puts me in the top 15%. It turns out the minor faction the cg is being held by has virtually no wanted ships in the system. I turned in 1.5 mil cr in one run and of that 8600 cr were from the faction holding the cg. It's over in a few hours but it and several other Cgs right now were doomed to fail. 6 goals in total I think and none even came remotely close to the first goal. Participation is low but even if it was higher, it doesn't look like one I joined reached 2% of its goal. I have to think they were setup wrong.
Yes it's bugged. I'm surprised you stuck with it. It was pretty clear it wasn't working properly. People gave up after the first few hours upon realization that it wasn't going to make any high tiers. Hopefully they'll do better with the next CG.

I just signed up last night and I only did one run last night. I didn't pay much attention when I signed up but when I turned in I realized it was a hopeless effort.

frontieruk

Any xboxone players getting alot of crashes to the dashboard? Randomly

Welcome to a real beta ;) I think FDev have some memory leak issues plus maintaining a connection to the servers through live which are causing the bulk of crashes, hopefully they are able to get logs about what happened.

FD have totally screwed up the CGs.

All the current ones and maost of the previous ones have been totally unrealistic. There was a huge mining CG which sounded great until people realised the target was roughly equal to a trade tonnage target, despite mining being literally hundred of times slower than trading (in terms of tonnage delivered). I think it moved one pixel towards completion by the end.

There was a random combat one a couple of weeks ago that got most of the way to completion, but they're a lot tougher than before because you can't turn in bounties unless the minor faction is present at the CG station.
The latest combat CG's are totally fucked up because they need a specific minor faction bounty, who doesn't control the system in most (all?) cases.
You'd think that FDev would boost the pirate spawn rate or something, but that would require actual thought. So as it is, a minor faction has issued a galaxy-wide distress call to protect it from pirates that don't really exist.

And to fuck it up even more, the current goals have no tiers. So you get nothing unless you reach the entire (totally unrealistic) target.

So, everyone will die of plague and the systems will fall into anarchy. Maybe that the best result, since it might actually trigger force interesting story development, rather than "plague stopped, gg everyone!"

And FD will no doubt wonder why people are not doing the CGs anymore. Clearly it's because Powerplay is so much fun!

FD have totally screwed up the CGs.

All the current ones and maost of the previous ones have been totally unrealistic. There was a huge mining CG which sounded great until people realised the target was roughly equal to a trade tonnage target, despite mining being literally hundred of times slower than trading (in terms of tonnage delivered). I think it moved one pixel towards completion by the end.

There was a random combat one a couple of weeks ago that got most of the way to completion, but they're a lot tougher than before because you can't turn in bounties unless the minor faction is present at the CG station.
The latest combat CG's are totally fucked up because they need a specific minor faction bounty, who doesn't control the system in most (all?) cases.
You'd think that FDev would boost the pirate spawn rate or something, but that would require actual thought. So as it is, a minor faction has issued a galaxy-wide distress call to protect it from pirates that don't really exist.

And to fuck it up even more, the current goals have no tiers. So you get nothing unless you reach the entire (totally unrealistic) target.

So, everyone will die of plague and the systems will fall into anarchy. Maybe that the best result, since it might actually trigger force interesting story development, rather than "plague stopped, gg everyone!"

And FD will no doubt wonder why people are not doing the CGs anymore. Clearly it's because Powerplay is so much fun!

indeed. but nothing is as broken as military progression. it's just sad at the moment.

Zalusithix

It's silly how there's so much variance between players on how much was needed for a given rank. The whole system is needlessly opaque. It'd be one thing if the missions were something you'd do normally. Then the ranks could come as they come and you wouldn't have to think so much about it. You'd at least get there eventually.

As it stands, however, the missions you do for the ranking are things you'd never touch otherwise. They're quite often counterproductive uses of time - you're either not making as much as you would be otherwise, or even losing money by taking them on. Basically a mandated waste of time that you're never quite sure when it'll end. It could be the next mission that does the trick, or it might require dozens more.

Ideally they'd tie the ranks to all activity. Keep the missions as counting, but just factor in all activity in the general region. Do lots of trading in a faction area aiding commerce? The connections you've forged have allowed you to network (or buy) your way up in the world. Off killing pirates on your own making faction space safer? The military recognizes your service and you're rewarded for it. Selling lots of exploration data to a power? Your fame and accomplishments brings honor to the faction, and propel you up the social ladder.

DrBo42

It's silly how there's so much variance between players on how much was needed for a given rank. The whole system is needlessly opaque. It'd be one thing if the missions were something you'd do normally. Then the ranks could come as they come and you wouldn't have to think so much about it. You'd at least get there eventually.

As it stands, however, the missions you do for the ranking are things you'd never touch otherwise. They're quite often counterproductive uses of time - you're either not making as much as you would be otherwise, or even losing money by taking them on. Basically a mandated waste of time that you're never quite sure when it'll end. It could be the next mission that does the trick, or it might require dozens more.

Ideally they'd tie the ranks to all activity. Keep the missions as counting, but just factor in all activity in the general region. Do lots of trading in a faction area aiding commerce? The connections you've forged have allowed you to network (or buy) your way up in the world. Off killing pirates on your own making faction space safer? The military recognizes your service and you're rewarded for it. Selling lots of exploration data to a power? Your fame and accomplishments brings honor to the faction, and propel you up the social ladder.

FD: So...you want to grind more?

What you're asking for is far too rational and realistic for their shallow simulation.

They've said they want to put in a proper navy career, but I doubt that'll happen until v1.5 at the earliest.
If they have any sense, they'll launch the Federal Corvette at the same time as introducing a real navy career. It would be a terrible move to launch a highly anticipated/desirable ship and make people grind towards Admiral or something in the current naval system to get it.

It's really annoying that FD have lied about how rank is calculated several times. It's a pure mission count thing, with some sort of RNG on when exactly the missions trigger. Combat doesn't matter, mission type doesn't matter, reputation with imperial major and minor factions doesn't matter (unless you're actually hostile with the Empire).
Hence, everyone grinding rank by sitting in an isolated system that only has charity missions.

IMO, they should have real navy missions. Not just naval ascension missions and certainly not "steal some silver for our secret officers club party" (an actual mission I was given!). Actual missions that sound like the sort of thing that a navy would give to mercenary auxilliaries. Then stick them on the bulletin board with on a separate 'Navy' tab under 'contacts'.
Missions already have "required combat/trading/exploration rank", so it shouldn't be hard to add "required naval rank".
That's how it was done in Elite Frontier, over 20 years ago. It's not a perfect system, but it a lot better than what we have now.

SmartBase

I certainly hope so, that Gamescom announcement better be good. Seeing those massive stations and the detail put into them and never actually needing to go anywhere but the entrance just feels like they wasted resources modelling them. I want fights and cheeky smuggling runs and other missions to happen around them, just like I want reasons to actually get beauty shots of planets instead of scanning them from n-ls away and moving on.

With a full galaxy, there is no end to the beauties you can find.

20JkZP1.jpg
This game continues to blow my mind. I can't save screenshots on my Xbox One yet (unless there's a way that I'm not aware of?) because of its beta status, but oh my... The universe is a wonderful place to explore.

Any xboxone players getting alot of crashes to the dashboard? Randomly
I think it's crashed on me maybe 5 times so far, since launch.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
This game continues to blow my mind. I can't save screenshots on my Xbox One yet (unless there's a way that I'm not aware of?) because of its beta status, but oh my... The universe is a wonderful place to explore.

I think it's crashed on me maybe 5 times so far, since launch.

Double tap the Xbox button and choose save screenshot? Works fine for me.

Making the Naval Ascension missions be an actual, for lack of a better word, questline with named NPC, and some more complex, hand created quests would go a long way to fleshing out that part of the game. The regular mission rep grind until you get a not so special Naval Ascension mission does feel very placeholder to me. They are supposedly adding a new tier of NPC that sits between major galaxy players that you only read about in Galnet News and the rabble that you run into out in the world. Persistent named NPCs that you will interact with in ways more than just blowing them up.

G_Berry

Banned
Holy fuck, this game is nuts!

I just played the xbox one demo after hearing so much about this game since the kickstarter and man, it's something else.

Even just the tutorials. The one where you jump between galaxies and you end up looking right at that massive star, then you have to find the space station to dock at only to get there and look back at the star which is now tiny!!!!

The scale is incredible. Seriously considering buying this. How long is it in "beta"?

They nailed the galactic scale thing for sure. Everything is to scale and it drives home how insignificantly tiny even our solar system is compared to the Milky Way. Now if there was someway to show how insignificantly small the Milky Way is in comparison to the Universe.

Holy fuck, this game is nuts!

I just played the xbox one demo after hearing so much about this game since the kickstarter and man, it's something else.

Even just the tutorials. The one where you jump between galaxies and you end up looking right at that massive star, then you have to find the space station to dock at only to get there and look back at the star which is now tiny!!!!

The scale is incredible. Seriously considering buying this. How long is it in "beta"?

It's a lovely game. I'm just holding back on playing too much because I don't think progress will carry over to full release. Did they have anything to say about that yet?

It's the full game if you buy it today, minus a few things here and there. Not sure when the actual game will launch though. Probably early or mid Fall.

They nailed the galactic scale thing for sure. Everything is to scale and it drives home how insignificantly tiny even our solar system is compared to the Milky Way. Now if there was someway to show how insignificantly small the Milky Way is in comparison to the Universe.

Elite Dangeresque II: This Time, It's not Dangeresque I

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom