• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elite: Dangerous |OT| Every Man's Sky

Status
Not open for further replies.

Burny

My problem is that everything they've implemented "post-launch" is step 0. "Post launch" because let's be real, this game is early access.

Eh, seems pretty playable and in terms of bugs, matured to me. And so far, nobody has shown me a comprehensive list of major features they promised for release and didn't deliver (only started following ED at release, unfortunately). Some ships are seemingly still missing I gather, but from the outside it doesn't seem like a major case of over promising to me. They were also seemingly pretty open about certain features only being implemented as expansions.

No argument from me about a lack of important content or features, with wings even an absolutely glaring omission. I very much doubt though, that Fdev is withholding readily implemented features. When things are not in, I suspect they're not done, yet. Meaning the only way to release the game with more content, would have been to delay the game.

I for one prefer the way they've taken with Elite over the way Star Citizen has taken. Define a feature set, even a basic one, they call "1.0 release", sell it and continue working from there in small steps. Notwithstanding that maybe FDev could not have afforded to sit on the game for more years without releasing it, lack of features and all, we've got more playable features out of Elite than out of Star Citizen so far. Even in terms of content.

Snarkily calling it early access is not reflecting the game's state, IMO. The amoumt of bugs or imbalances doesn't seem to exceed that of other released games of similar complexity.

KKRT00

I for one prefer the way they've taken with Elite over the way Star Citizen has taken. Define a feature set, even a basic one, they call "1.0 release", sell it and continue working from there in small steps. Notwithstanding that maybe FDev could not have afforded to sit on the game for more years without releasing it, lack of features and all, we've got more playable features out of Elite than out of Star Citizen so far. Even in terms of content.

Will expansions be free for everyone who bought the game? If not, i dont see how this model is better than SC one for players.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel

It looks good and polished, but I don't see myself spending much time with CQC. It's just not what I'm looking for in Elite as far as gameplay goes.

Will expansions be free for everyone who bought the game? If not, i dont see how this model is better than SC one for players.

Expansions will be sold, not free. I do agree with Burny tho that Elite's way is far better than SC's. At least with Elite's development they are continually updating a working playable game, where as Star Citizen is still not a "game".

KKRT00

Expansions will be sold, not free. I do agree with Burny tho that Elite's way is far better than SC's. At least with Elite's development they are continually updating a working playable game, where as Star Citizen is still not a "game".

But how is it better for a player? You pay several times more for one then the other.
SC is still not released, so of course its not a 'game'.

I understand Your point of view if we exclude cost, but complexity is much different and CIG had to create whole studio from the ground up.
SC couldnt be released earlier without making some crappy systems that would have to be completely rewritten in future to achieve their vision, thats not really efficient development.

Burny

I'm not talking about the price as I'm willing to pay for expansions. What matters for me more in a game of service-like nature like ED and SC, is that the basic framework is in place and playable at an early state and can be refined going forward. I can't play dreams of a PU (yet), as drool worthy as I find (or found) much of what I see and saw of Star Citizen. Whereas Elite is very much playable and for me also enjoyable now.

IMO it's also important that players unhappy with feature - say, Powerplay - can now voice their gripes in ED and FDev have the opportunity to refine/replace/do something with it, that they might not have had without external input.

On the other hand, while I believe CIG are extremely talented people and somewhat love their kitchen sink approach (literally, because walking around, having sinks, showers and toilets in the ships impressed me to no end when I started following SC last year) and although their ability to take it relies somewhat on their unprecedented crowdfunding budget ;), they're still humans designing and writing software. And as such, some of SCs features are bound to be broken or simply not fun at release. From a purely statistical POV the chances of such issues increase, the more features there are to implement and that's precisely where I fear they might go or have already gone overboard. I for one certainly wouldn't resent them, if they did add the ability to open your own interstellar airline as a paid addon, if it meant the PU got into a playable state earlier. :p

SmartBase

But how is it better for a player? You pay several times more for one then the other.
SC is still not released, so of course its not a 'game'.

I understand Your point of view if we exclude cost, but complexity is much different and CIG had to create whole studio from the ground up.
SC couldnt be released earlier without making some crappy systems that would have to be completely rewritten in future to achieve their vision, thats not really efficient development.

CIG had to recode their engine just to support empty space in their space sim, hardly efficient. And they still haven't got the fundamentals like flight mechanics nailed down at this point in development.

Pomerlaw

attachment.php

DrBo42

Eh, seems pretty playable and in terms of bugs, matured to me. And so far, nobody has shown me a comprehensive list of major features they promised for release and didn't deliver (only started following ED at release, unfortunately). Some ships are seemingly still missing I gather, but from the outside it doesn't seem like a major case of over promising to me. They were also seemingly pretty open about certain features only being implemented as expansions.

No argument from me about a lack of important content or features, with wings even an absolutely glaring omission. I very much doubt though, that Fdev is withholding readily implemented features. When things are not in, I suspect they're not done, yet. Meaning the only way to release the game with more content, would have been to delay the game.

Snarkily calling it early access is not reflecting the game's state, IMO. The amoumt of bugs or imbalances doesn't seem to exceed that of other released games of similar complexity.

Early access doesn't always mean a bug filled mess. In general they're not feature complete with development ongoing being funded by its sale pre-release. That said, Elite does have its fair share of active bugs and performance issues. I think early access describes the game quite well as it's barely a skeleton of what it should and hopefully will be.

Burny

I think early access describes the game quite well as it's barely a skeleton of what it should and hopefully will be.

And so will it be in five years if the game establishes itself as a service and Frontier is really going to support it for even close to ten years, as they hinted at. This implies that they're also expanding and monetizing the game for years to come. Would a ten year dev cycle until feature completeness be preferable, before they're allowed to call it a "1.0" release?

DrBo42

And so will it be in five years if the game establishes itself as a service and Frontier is really going to support it for even close to ten years, as they hinted at. This implies that they're also expanding and monetizing the game for years to come. Would a ten year dev cycle until feature completeness be preferable, before they're allowed to call it a "1.0" release?
I think we can call it 1.0 when EVA and planetary landings are out.

You guys might scoff at this but I think they should include some coca cola ads and other things on the billboards flying into busy stations

Not a bad idea, Eve Online does something similar on their floating billboards with the in-game drink Quafe and they also run wanted bounties or in game government news.

Not a bad idea, Eve Online does something similar on their floating billboards with the in-game drink Quafe and they also run wanted bounties or in game government news.

Yeah I mean I'm sure Nike is still kicking around somewhere in the future. I'm betting we are gonna need some decent running shoes pretty soon too!

DrBo42

Yeah the active bounties with player portraits are great. We're still a long way from anything like that.

KKRT00

CIG had to recode their engine just to support empty space in their space sim, hardly efficient. And they still haven't got the fundamentals like flight mechanics nailed down at this point in development.
Yeah, trolling wont get You anywhere in the discussion. You exactly know why they rewrite some parts of engine to 64bit. You probably also know why they changing grid system from the industry standard as well.
Why would they nail down flight mechanics already? Not all systems are even in place right now or even all ships and modules. Its all about tweaking right now, everything is already programmed.

---
I'm not talking about the price as I'm willing to pay for expansions. What matters for me more in a game of service-like nature like ED and SC, is that the basic framework is in place and playable at an early state and can be refined going forward. I can't play dreams of a PU (yet), as drool worthy as I find (or found) much of what I see and saw of Star Citizen. Whereas Elite is very much playable and for me also enjoyable now.

IMO it's also important that players unhappy with feature - say, Powerplay - can now voice their gripes in ED and FDev have the opportunity to refine/replace/do something with it, that they might not have had without external input.

On the other hand, while I believe CIG are extremely talented people and somewhat love their kitchen sink approach (literally, because walking around, having sinks, showers and toilets in the ships impressed me to no end when I started following SC last year) and although their ability to take it relies somewhat on their unprecedented crowdfunding budget ;), they're still humans designing and writing software. And as such, some of SCs features are bound to be broken or simply not fun at release. From a purely statistical POV the chances of such issues increase, the more features there are to implement and that's precisely where I fear they might go or have already gone overboard. I for one certainly wouldn't resent them, if they did add the ability to open your own interstellar airline as a paid addon, if it meant the PU got into a playable state earlier. :p

But PU will have alpha. They will start with one solar system and then they will be expanding it till they reach beta.
Pretty much every module they are working on will be playable and testable by community in alpha.
And CIG could release game right now, they need more system interconnected before it will start working. FPS and multicrew component is base part of game and everything is development with it in mind, where in Elite its something they will just add.
I can promise You that multicrew and FPS gameplay in Elite will be pain in the ass for Frontier to implement and that they will need to rework a lot of stuff to make it work properly.

----

Ps. And to be clear, i'm very interested in Elite, but i wont buy until they implement planetary landing and exploration. In current state is just not interesting to me.

fanboi

Banned
Yeah, I am waiting for some more stuff to be implemented, like planetary landing.

Want to use my Premium Beta purchase :)

SmartBase

Yeah, trolling wont get You anywhere in the discussion. You exactly know why they rewrite some parts of engine to 64bit. You probably also know why they changing grid system from the industry standard as well.
Why would they nail down flight mechanics already? Not all systems are even in place right now or even all ships and modules. Its all about tweaking right now, everything is already programmed.

Of course I know why they did it. You just went on about efficient development and all the rest of it and I pointed out how CIG's methods weren't necessarily that. If pointing that out is trolling, then more power to you.

DrBo42

So where can we watch this reveal this morning guys?
That's what I'd like to know.

Edit: They'll start streaming at 3 PM UK time on twitch.tv/elitedangerous

FD said:
From Home

If you can’t make it to Gamescom, we’ll be bringing the show to you. At 4PM CEST (3PM UK time) on August 5 we’ll be livestreaming a pre-show Q&A with David Braben and Sandro Sammarco direct from our public stand.

We’re livestreaming from 12PM – 5PM CEST (11AM – 4PM UK time) every single day and there will be loads of ways for you to get involved in the show.

We’ll have big announcements, interviews with the developers, tours of our stand, footage from attendees playing the game and much more. Every day we’ll be giving away exclusive Gamescom paint jobs for people watching at home, and for the first time we’ll be giving one winner every day the chance to name a planet in the Elite: Dangerous galaxy.

KKRT00

Of course I know why they did it. You just went on about efficient development and all the rest of it and I pointed out how CIG's methods weren't necessarily that. If pointing that out is trolling, then more power to you.

How is it not efficient? There is no other engine that does stuff they want to do, so of course they needed to rewrite some parts. Inefficient would be doing it next year after Squadron 42 is released for example.

Burny

But PU will have alpha. They will start with one solar system and then they will be expanding it till they reach beta.
Pretty much every module they are working on will be playable and testable by community in alpha.
And CIG could release game right now, they need more system interconnected before it will start working. FPS and multicrew component is base part of game and everything is development with it in mind, where in Elite its something they will just add.
I can promise You that multicrew and FPS gameplay in Elite will be pain in the ass for Frontier to implement and that they will need to rework a lot of stuff to make it work properly..

I get that SC is far more ambitious game in most areas than ED, especially concerning the amount of integrated systems and visual fidelity. I also can't fault CIG for running into development difficulties and delays when they're largely breaking new ground. Naturally, it'll all take more time than Elite's release feature set. Let's wait until their Friday presentation and see what progress they have to show and whether we'll actually get a timeframe for the PU alpha. Unless we get to play it, its entirely up in the air, whether all their ground breaking features will make for a good game. Being a released game, we can already play Elite and tell which parts of the game we like and which we don't.

I personally don't care that FDev might or might not have to rework a whole lot of things for the respecive features, as I already love the core aspects of the released game. If they manage to also release decent addons, I'll buy and enjoy them. If they don't, I'll still have played a very enjoyable and fascinating space game. Which, in direct comparison to Start Citizen, I prefer for now to SC aiming to be the ultimate space game at the day of release, that potentially being a long way off.

Atrophis

Elite Dangerous: Horizons launches this Holiday. The first expansion, Planetary Landings introduces players to planet surfaces and the first all-new Surface Recon Vehicle (SRV) the ‘Scarab’. Scanning airless planets and moons brings new gameplay as players detect signals, crashed ships, mineral deposits, outposts and fortresses. Alone or with friends players will explore, mine and engage hostile forces as they attempt to infiltrate strongholds guarding valuable rewards. Players will explore new worlds, coasting over mountaintops, diving into canyons, landing on the surface and rolling out onto the surface in your SRV, all without loading times or breaks in gameplay.

Sounds great. Pity its £40.

EDIT: £10 discount for existing players for a limited time. New players get all existing content plus expansion content for £40. Much better deal lol.

Burny

Lifetime expansion pass will be available again in FDev's store later today. Heh, this time, I'm in. ^^

Edit: Pretty disappointed by a lack of ingame trailer so far though. Surely, if they are to release the landing on airless moons later this year, they must have gameplay to show, no? Will we still get such a trailer at Gamescom?

Atrophis

The second major update for Elite Dangerous: Horizons will release in Q1 2016 with more expansions to follow. This second major update will include additional gameplay-focused content including an all-new game-changing loot and crafting system.

Well they are adding the two things I've thought were lacking in the game. Planetary landing and crafting. Hopefully this ties in with mining and the new planetary landing systems to bring a full player run economy to the game.

SmartBase

Well shit, I was completely wrong about the announcement.

The price tags are just a wee bit ridiculous, 40GBP/60USD for Horizons and 130/190 for the lifetime expansion pass.

ed - It seems Horizons itself is a pack of expansions, not just a singular piece of content.

Sarcasm

What is this junk.

So a season is exactly what? And they doing this while the core gameplay needs to be fixed is lame as heck.

EDIT: £10 discount for existing players for a limited time. New players get all existing content plus expansion content for £40. Much better deal lol.

Where do you see that ? (game + add on for £40)

edit : ok did not see the "Elite Dangerous: Horizons includes all Elite Dangerous content to date, and all players will continue to fly together in the same galaxy" thing.

GeoGonzo

Price may sting a bit if you just bought the game (sorry console players) but its still fairly reasonable: Integrating expansions into the base game helps keep the package at a premium price and the player base isn't heavily fragmented.

Burny

This is included for those that bought premium beta, right?

DB said:
And we're also making sure the people who backed at the higher levels are getting ongoing benefit even when alpha finished. And all the people who backed the at premium beta, which is finishing soon, as part of that they get all the expansions. So there are still benefits to these things."

Apparently

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom