• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elite: Dangerous |OT| Every Man's Sky

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pomerlaw

Edit: It's already visible in the original image, but the brightening pronounces it to really grating levels: color banding. Is this caused by the jpeg compression or does this come from the game? o_O

JPG... Don't worry about the banding.

FD should upload a high quality PNG.

SmartBase

That peak of the week is a bit underwhelming, not quite sure what I expected.

It's official. Moved my ships to the new home out of Cubeo and left my power. Will re-enlist tomorrow for Arissa or Hudson. Time to make that real BH paper.

Not bannable, no.

SweetFX is fine with them, search the official FD forums if you want confirmation.

They won't help you if you have bugs though...

Excellent, I might finally be able to smooth out some of the aliasing.

Hylian7

I'm curious about the weaponry and different types of land vehicles. Surely all of the land vehicles won't be the same, in a manner similar to the ships, right?

I'd also like to see new types of weapons since we will have ground combat available, maybe land mines, things of that nature.

Also this is probably the most basic of questions, but something to think about: What happens to your ship when you are in the land vehicle? It lands, and then what? Just stays there on the planet's surface unguarded? Can someone just fly/drive by and blow it up while you aren't there? Will it just be invulnerable? Will it just fly off into space on autopilot or something while you are on the surface? It's an interesting thing to think about, and I'm curious how it will be handled.

Burny

Also this is probably the most basic of questions, but something to think about: What happens to your ship when you are in the land vehicle? It lands, and then what? Just stays there on the planet's surface unguarded? Can someone just fly/drive by and blow it up while you aren't there? Will it just be invulnerable? Will it just fly off into space on autopilot or something while you are on the surface? It's an interesting thing to think about, and I'm curious how it will be handled.

According to some of the official info (don't have a link at hand right now), the bolded will be the case, once you move too far away from the vehicle.

Hylian7

According to some of the official info (don't have a link at hand right now), the bolded will be the case, once you move too far away from the vehicle.

Interesting, so I'm guessing you can call your ship to come pick you up then.

Also I just hit Master rank!

MeDGwWN.jpg

Burny

More logo variations! I'd be happy with these colors as final choice. (Edit: I'm undecided between the second and third variation, but would take either over the first)

Could someone of the senior members start a thread for the Elite GAF group or should we continue using the OT?

I like the third the most.

I'm curious about the weaponry and different types of land vehicles. Surely all of the land vehicles won't be the same, in a manner similar to the ships, right?

I'd also like to see new types of weapons since we will have ground combat available, maybe land mines, things of that nature.

Here's the best thread for the compiled info.

Driving the SRV far enough away from your ship will cause your ship to take off and enter a low orbit supercruise of the planet or moon. This will be AI controlled 'for now' and would make the ship impossible to hunt down.

frontieruk

More logo variations! I'd be happy with these colors as final choice. (Edit: I'm undecided between the second and third variation, but would take either over the first)

Could someone of the senior members start a thread for the Elite GAF group or should we continue using the OT?

I'll post one, do you want to compile an intro for it?

Agremont

I like the middle one most. It's the most stylisticaly clean one in my opinion.

How do you even get to level 5 so much time to invest :(

It's actually only about 10 hours or so to get to 10,000, estimated. If you do 100% undermining your kill count only needs to be 300 ships. If you can do about 30 ships an hour. And you only have to do that once. After that you get there, decay means you have to only do 5,000 credits. So you can either grind for 5 hours or you can just pay your way to keep the level ($50,000,000) and then go RES hunt and make that $50 mill back in literally 2 hours. Or do some mix of the two.

So basically you have to grind to get there, but after you're there effort required to make it worth it is minimal. Everything after your first 2 hours at a RES site is straight profit if you just buy your way there.

This was some guy after 5 hours @ level 5:

The investment in time is clearly worth it if you like playing this game and play more than 2 hours/week.

frontieruk

It's actually only about 10 hours or so to get to 10,000, estimated. If you do 100% undermining your kill count only needs to be 300 ships. If you can do about 30 ships an hour. And you only have to do that once. After that you get there, decay means you have to only do 5,000 credits. So you can either grind for 5 hours or you can just pay your way to keep the level ($50,000,000) and then go RES hunt and make that $50 mill back in literally 2 hours. Or do some mix of the two.

So basically you have to grind to get there, but after you're there effort required to make it worth it is minimal. Everything after your first 2 hours at a RES site is straight profit if you just buy your way there.

This was some guy after 5 hours @ level 5:

The investment in time is clearly worth it if you like playing this game and play more than 2 hours/week.

How long is the defect cool down?

Hylian7

Powerplay is a bit confusing to me.

I'm trying to figure this out to see if I can use it as a faster way to make money through combat, since RES hunting got nerfed and seeing Clippers and Dropships is rare, and Wanted Anacondas don't spawn there anymore. I'm aligned with Lavigny-Duval and I read this:

1sxxr6n.png

Now I look at the higher ratings and see these:

w4kQ57e.png

If I understand this correctly, if you get 10,000 merits and get Rating 5, then you get the 50 mil bonus, but then to keep getting you have to get 10,000 merits every week?! Why does it call it a weekly bonus if you only get it if you reached the rating for that week?

Reading a bit more on it: http://elite-dangerous.wikia.com/wiki/Ratings

Merits are also carried over from prior weeks, rewarding active participation, and preventing pilots from obtaining the last Rating and then not longer bother with Powerplay.

So if they are carried over from prior weeks, when are they wiped out? This seems to imply they are lost from previous weeks at some point, but it also says they aren't? Does this mean that only the week before the current week's merits carry over, and then are gone the next week?

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
The only change I'd make to that logo Burny is to actually put the "N" in front of the "eoGAF", like it is on the actual website up in our top left corner. It just looks kind of incomplete without the letter there, even though the symbol itself is supposed to be an "N" too.

Burny, I agree with the "N" and one other bit of feedback: against a dark background, the dark grey portion of the logo is almost invisible. At the same time, I really do like how dark it is...maybe just have an alternate to use with a slightly brighter grey, just in case?

Can't wait to see the final!

Burny

Grey on grey or other dark surfaces will almost never make for a satisfactory contrast. I think we might go for a white outline, if we have to put it on something dark. ;)

Just got myself a Diamondback Scout on X1 and I'm actually pretty impressed with how well it handles. Could be that I was just used to my Cobra, but I'm enjoying it and it seems like a nice jack-of-all-trades. Can use it for some hauling CGs/Powerplay, can bounty hunt, can explore, etc.

Powerplay is a bit confusing to me.

I'm trying to figure this out to see if I can use it as a faster way to make money through combat, since RES hunting got nerfed and seeing Clippers and Dropships is rare, and Wanted Anacondas don't spawn there anymore. I'm aligned with Lavigny-Duval and I read this:

1sxxr6n.png

Now I look at the higher ratings and see these:

w4kQ57e.png

If I understand this correctly, if you get 10,000 merits and get Rating 5, then you get the 50 mil bonus, but then to keep getting you have to get 10,000 merits every week?! Why does it call it a weekly bonus if you only get it if you reached the rating for that week?

Reading a bit more on it: http://elite-dangerous.wikia.com/wiki/Ratings

So if they are carried over from prior weeks, when are they wiped out? This seems to imply they are lost from previous weeks at some point, but it also says they aren't? Does this mean that only the week before the current week's merits carry over, and then are gone the next week?

1.) You need to simply reach rank 2 in the PP faction to receive BH bonuses. Bonuses are partially a function of the faction standing from week to week. Reaching rank 2 will get you 40/30/20 depending on if the faction is ranked 1/2/3 or something like that.

2.) You need to reach 10,000 merits to gain a 100% bounty bonus, which you keep regardless of faction rank from week to week. Where as if you're below Rank 5, the amount of bonus will vary depending on rank of the faction, at rank 5 it doesn't matter anymore. You get 100% BH bonus even if ADL falls to rank 8 of the 10 PP factions.

3.) Merit decay means you lose 50% of the merits you received the week before (and you keep half of the decayed from the week before that). You need to account for roughy 3,500 merits weekly after week 2, IIRC. You do NOT have to grind 10,000 merits/week. You'll need to either grind 3,000-5,000 merits/week OR simply pay for the merits. Either way will take you 2-5 hours, so it just depends on how much your time is worth. Spend 4-5 hours farming the additional merits you need to maintain your rank, or pay our $30-$50 million and save a few hours, allowing you to just go back to BH farming for hundreds of millions sooner? Your call. No wrong answer here.

4.) RES sites obvious didn't get nerfed if people are making hundreds of millions of dollars in them.

Hylian7

1.) You need to simply reach rank 2 in the PP faction to receive BH bonuses. Bonuses are partially a function of the faction standing from week to week. Reaching rank 2 will get you 40/30/20 depending on if the faction is ranked 1/2/3 or something like that.

2.) You need to reach 10,000 merits to gain a 100% bounty bonus, which you keep regardless of faction rank from week to week. Where as if you're below Rank 5, the amount of bonus will vary depending on rank of the faction, at rank 5 it doesn't matter anymore. You get 100% BH bonus even if ADL falls to rank 8 of the 10 PP factions.

3.) Merit decay means you lose 50% of the merits you received the week before (and you keep half of the decayed from the week before that). You need to account for roughy 3,500 merits weekly after week 2, IIRC. You do NOT have to grind 10,000 merits/week. You'll need to either grind 3,000-5,000 merits/week OR simply pay for the merits. Either way will take you 2-5 hours, so it just depends on how much your time is worth. Spend 4-5 hours farming the additional merits you need to maintain your rank, or pay our $30-$50 million and save a few hours, allowing you to just go back to BH farming for hundreds of millions sooner? Your call. No wrong answer here.

4.) RES sites obvious didn't get nerfed if people are making hundreds of millions of dollars in them.

Where are people finding these magical RES's? The ones I see are all Cobras, Eagles, and Vipers. I got one the other day where for the first 15 minutes I saw Dropships and Clippers, and then after that all I got where Cobras, Eagles, and Vipers.

Shifty76

Where are people finding these magical RES's? The ones I see are all Cobras, Eagles, and Vipers. I got one the other day where for the first 15 minutes I saw Dropships and Clippers, and then after that all I got where Cobras, Eagles, and Vipers.

Keep resetting until you get only big ships. Also note that CZ bonds benefit from the ALD bonus so those can be better if you have a ship that can handle them.

Had my first taste of organized pvp last night. Hudson pilots were camping our capital so we formed an impromptu response wing. Conclusion: I can beat the average joe, but dedicated pvpers in pvp specced FDLs kick my ass :/

Might need to bring my python instead of clipper next time.

try the system in the image i linked on the last page. apparently a pretty good RES site. Do as Shifty said. Reset until the spawn table is good. It may take you 5 minutes of resets; it may take you 45 minutes of resets. It's completely RNG. And be sure your weapon loadout allows you to stay forever (primary laser build). If your build won't allow you to stay for at least a few hours without having to leave to repair or rearm, you're burning time (because who knows how long it'll take you to get a decent reset table again).

Keep resetting until you get only big ships. Also note that CZ bonds benefit from the ALD bonus so those can be better if you have a ship that can handle them.

Had my first taste of organized pvp last night. Hudson pilots were camping our capital so we formed an impromptu response wing. Conclusion: I can beat the average joe, but dedicated pvpers in pvp specced FDLs kick my ass :/

Might need to bring my python instead of clipper next time.

tbh, that python is gonna get its ass whooped too. big bird is too slow and its shields are only adequate, but at least you can have like 14 SCB charges to help mitigate the problem I guess.

really, you'll want to think about picking that FdL back up again. There's a reason it's the standard-bearer for PvP. It's so good. C4 PA is a spirit-breaker and it's fixed weapons spread from the C2's is *perfect*. Or maybe pick up a Courier/DbS and put a couple of railguns on them. My FdL and Courier are the only ships I'll PvP in anymore. The rest just kinda suck or are sitting ducks (read: Anaconda).

Hylian7

try the system in the image i linked on the last page. apparently a pretty good RES site. Do as Shifty said. Reset until the spawn table is good. It may take you 5 minutes of resets; it may take you 45 minutes of resets. It's completely RNG. And be sure your weapon loadout allows you to stay forever (primary laser build). If your build won't allow you to stay for at least a few hours without having to leave to repair or rearm, you're burning time (because who knows how long it'll take you to get a decent reset table again).

tbh, that python is gonna get its ass whooped too. big bird is too slow and its shields are only adequate, but at least you can have like 14 SCB charges to help mitigate the problem I guess.

really, you'll want to think about picking that FdL back up again. There's a reason it's the standard-bearer for PvP. It's so good. C4 PA is a spirit-breaker. Or maybe pick up a Courier/DbS and put a couple of railguns on them.

Hmm, I'm probably just not patient enough. I still wonder why in that one instance I had great spawns for 15 minutes, then it all went to shit suddenly.

Hmm, I'm probably just not patient enough. I still wonder why in that one instance I had great spawns for 15 minutes, then it all went to shit suddenly.

that happens sometimes. not often, but sometimes.

and for millions of credits and an order of magnitude more money than you could make any other way, you'll want to learn patience.

Hylian7

that happens sometimes. not often, but sometimes.

and for millions of credits and an order of magnitude more money than you could make any other way, you'll want to learn patience.

Well goddamn.

Once I found a good instance (Pythons, Clippers, Dropships), this was about 45 minutes-hour worth of hunting:

Rn455jl.png

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
I think I'll try to learn how to fly FA OFF this week.

That's Isonia, he's not human. I've been watching his vids for awhile now, he always flies with FA off and sometimes I'm literally jaw agape at the maneuvers he can pull off. I try it and it's a disaster, lol.

HelloMeow

That isn't that hard to pull off with FA off.

I keep saying it. Everyone should force themselves to fly with it off. It's not hard, it just takes getting used to. Just make sure you bind and use every thrust axis.

SmartBase

CQC beta is live, can't wait to see those environments first hand.

edit - login failure, great. Can get into the main game fine but not the beta. Preloading shaders fixed it.

Oh snap! Lots of other changes and the new ships! Almost forgot about that.

- CQC Added
- Imperial Eagle added
- Federal Gunship added
- Federal Assault Ship added
- Hazardous resource extraction sites added
- Compromised nav beacons added
- Legal salvage missions added
- Xbox One control method added to PC/Mac
- Added Outfitting for CQC
- Changed how powerplant damage is handled - small chance of instant destruction, otherwise malfunctions and halved power output
- Assign Imperial Eagles to those who should have them from their backer rewards

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom