• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elite: Dangerous |OT| Every Man's Sky

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Now, on to registering a minor faction.

I would still suggest the name "Neo Galactic Adventurer Fellowship". But we'll have to find a home system, a type of group (political...?), possibly allegiances and a description.

Oohhhh, I like that name a lot. Or even:

Neo Galactic Adventurer Federation

Federation sounds better than fellowship, more menacing yet more upstanding too.

Burny

Oohhhh, I like that name a lot. Or even:

Neo Galactic Adventurer Federation

Hehe, that name went through my head at first (and I couldn't get the federation out of my head :p). ^^ But I felt that calling us a Federation would be giving us a lot of credit that we might not deserve (, yet). At least not until the group actually consists of smaller entities (edit: larger than a single person!).

Therefore, I looked for other words with starting with "f" to name an organized group and found "fellowship". Which I find rather charming. At least for as long as there are only a few people even participating. ;)

Reckheim

Hehe, that name went through my head at first (and I couldn't get the federation out of my head :p). ^^ But I felt that calling us a Federation would be giving us a lot of credit that we might not deserve (, yet). At least not until the group actually consists of smaller entities (edit: larger than a single person!).

Therefore, I looked for other words with starting with "f" to name an organized group and found "fellowship". Which I find rather charming. At least for as long as there are only a few people even participating. ;)

'Neo Galactic Adventurer Faction' could work as well.

Burny

You're right, the G could be exchanged as well. Possibly together with the "A" - Neo G... Astro ...

I'll leave it there, as a reminder that the other letters could also be exchanged. ;) Just in case somebody is coming up with more suggestions.

frontieruk

You're right, the G could be exchanged as well. Possibly together with the "A" - Neo G... Astro ...

I'll leave it there, as a reminder that the other letters could also be exchanged. ;) Just in case somebody is coming up with more suggestions.

I keep getting 80s throw backs mixing mine and Hylian7 up to get

Neo Galactic Astro Force

Such an awful sounding cartoon lol

MNC

Did a good mission. Got 50k credits. Bought an Eagle. Its not giving off great first impressions :p should I not have bought that ship?

Hylian7

Did a good mission. Got 50k credits. Bought an Eagle. Its not giving off great first impressions :p should I not have bought that ship?

Eagles are fast but basically made of wet tissue paper. I mean if you want a fast ship starting out it's okay, but they aren't particularly great and I think even the starter Sidewinder can be better. The amount of time it takes me to blow up Eagles even with the best shields is so fast in my Vulture. Vulture isn't even the highest tier ship.

Of the level of ships you'll be able to afford anytime soon, you should consider either the Viper or Cobra Mk III. I had a Viper that I outfitted quite a bit before I got my Vulture. It served me pretty well back then, but of course the Vulture was a clear upgrade.

I really wish there was something in the middle of the road between the Vulture and the Fer De Lance. I know the Clipper exists, but it isn't really a great combat ship and the Vulture is still best in class for light combat ships. Now granted FDL is heavier and less manuverable, but it can pack a lot of weaponry.

I've also damn near maxed out my Vulture and basically put my power plant to the limit. I'm even to the point where just to use my Kill Warrant scanner I have to disable either my Beam or Pulse laser, then after I scan, disable the KWS, then re-enable whichever weapon I disabled. I wish there was a way to automate that process, as it's rather tedious, but it works and I get a lot of my ship that way.

Hylian7

FUCK THIS GAME SOMETIMES

My canopy was breached attempting an assassination, which was solo vs a wing. I was making good time back to the station and then with 1:30 left of oxygen, and less than 1 Ls from the station, A FUCKING STUPID ADDER INTERDICTS ME OUT OF FUCKING NOWEHRE with the pirate dialog, and I don't even have a fucking cargo rack. I can't escape it, so I submit hoping to get out faster that way. Nope, long FSD cooldown, gg. I finally get away, drop to the station with two seconds left on the clock, which is clearly not enough time to get into the station from there.

God I wish the AI actually had some fucking sense of who to interdict. Realistically that AI would be like "Oh I'm in a stupid Adder and that's a Vulture, better not fuck with that!" but nope, you get fucking unshielded Eagles interdicting Anacondas because fuck it, they have a death with!

rage.gif
rage.gif
rage.gif

Burny

Yesterday the CH Products Combatstick and Throttle arrived. Didn't manage to test them properly, but it seems I "lucked out" on the throttle - one of the HATs only registeres in three of four directions. >.<

Will have to see if it's easily fixable or if I will have to send it back.

First impression: Optically, it's a mixture of 90s gaming gear and some industrial plastic design. Thankfully, it feels pretty sturdy. Edit: The stick and throttle are rather light, but they're build of a very hard plastic with a rough surface. The stick has center detents on both axis, which might take getting used to, but otherwise can be moved very smoothly, with little resistance. The control manager software has no modern UI (Win95 era design), but is completely build around functionality. A nice change from the rather poorly (imo) designed UI that Saitek's software for the X52 has.

I didn't think it was a bug that aiming for the power plant was faster than shooting the hull. It's been that way since forever and applies to the other big ships too (Dropship, Clipper, Python, etc.).

It's a subtle multi faceted issue from what I gathered. At the moment, when equipping a ship with improved armour, that armour won't apply to internal modules (iirc?). Apparently only the hull gains longevity by it. Additionally, gimbaled weapons pretty reliably target sub systems, so they're potentially a bit OP at killing the big ships.

It wasn't a bug, but the resulting overpowered-ness of targeting the powerplant is not something that FDev are happy with.

They're going to change it so that damaging/destroying the powerplant will (probably) cause random system failures instead of death. It'll probably mean rebooting systems a bit like how you can reboot damaged thrusters. Sorry I don't have a link to the Dev post about it. There's no official ETA for the change, but it's likely to come in v1.4, since they're balancing the combat for the CQC mode.

It should still be a very useful tactic (to disable big ships for an easy kill), but it will be a slower option since you still need to destroy the hull to get a kill.

Yesterday the CH Products Combatstick and Throttle arrived. Didn't manage to test them properly, but it seems I "lucked out" on the throttle - one of the HATs only registeres in three of four directions. >.<

First impression: Optically, it's a mixture of 90s gaming gear and some industrial plastic design. Thankfully, it feels pretty sturdy. Edit: The stick and throttle are rather light, but they're build of a very hard plastic with a rough surface. The stick has center detents on both axis, which might take getting used to, but otherwise can be moved very smoothly, with little resistance. The control manager software has no modern UI (Win95 era design), but is completely build around functionality. A nice change from the rather poorly (imo) designed UI that Saitek's software for the X52 has.
Let me know if you need a keybinding setup. I found one that I'm extremely happy with. About 110 keys bound.

Pomerlaw

FUCK THIS GAME SOMETIMES

My canopy was breached attempting an assassination, which was solo vs a wing. I was making good time back to the station and then with 1:30 left of oxygen, and less than 1 Ls from the station, A FUCKING STUPID ADDER INTERDICTS ME OUT OF FUCKING NOWEHRE with the pirate dialog, and I don't even have a fucking cargo rack. I can't escape it, so I submit hoping to get out faster that way. Nope, long FSD cooldown, gg. I finally get away, drop to the station with two seconds left on the clock, which is clearly not enough time to get into the station from there.

God I wish the AI actually had some fucking sense of who to interdict. Realistically that AI would be like "Oh I'm in a stupid Adder and that's a Vulture, better not fuck with that!" but nope, you get fucking unshielded Eagles interdicting Anacondas because fuck it, they have a death with!

rage.gif
rage.gif
rage.gif

hahahahaha you are right but hahaha sorry :)

FUCK THIS GAME SOMETIMES

rage.gif
rage.gif
rage.gif

Sucks and I've had that happen before. If you had submitted you probably would have lost 15 seconds, tops. Always submit unless the ship interdicting you is something bigger AND faster than your ship (mass lock).

Mengy

Neo Galactic Adventurer Force

Actually, I like this one the best. With so many two and three syllable words in there, the single syllable "Force" on the end sounds phonetically the best IMHO. Although Adventurer could be changed to Adventure as well, making it roll off the tongue better while still conveying the same theme and attitude:

Neo Galactic Adventure Force

That's my favorite name now, it just sounds good to me when said out loud.

Sweet! My full CH setup arrives today according to UPS, should be waiting for me when I get home from work. I tried to fix / modify my broken X45 last night with elastic straps, it didn't work at all, LOL. It's a shame because I really love the X45 throttle to.

Burny

Neo Galactic Adventure Force

That's my favorite name now, it just sounds good to me when said out loud.

Agreed, rolls well of the tongue. It just sounds like a saturday morning cartoon, although a bit of tongue-in-cheek probably can't hurt. ^^

Let me know if you need a keybinding setup. I found one that I'm extremely happy with. About 110 keys bound.
I haven't wrapped my head around the control mananger software, yet (seems rather complex) and was planning to look fro predefined setups anyway. I'd very much appreciate a little kickstart! Now, if only the throttle turns out to be fixable... >.<

As I'll probably have to wait for quite a while before my MFG crosswind pedals are made/arrive, I might have to result to an unorthodox setup in the meantime. Even then, a good starting point would be very helpful.

Agreed, rolls well of the tongue. It just sounds like a saturday morning cartoon, although a bit of tongue-in-cheek probably can't hurt. ^^

I haven't wrapped my head around the control mananger software, yet (seems rather complex) and was planning to look fro predefined setups anyway. I'd very much appreciate a little kickstart! Now, if only the throttle turns out to be fixable... >.<

As I'll probably have to wait for quite a while before my MFG crosswind pedals are made/arrive, I might have to result to an unorthodox setup in the meantime. Even then, a good starting point would be very helpful.

https://github.com/domdavis/ch-products-elite-map

this will be your first and last stop.

I'm good with "Neo Galactic Adventure Force". Maybe someone can whip us up a nice logo? :)

Played in a Wing last night on X1, had a blast. Got my ship blown up twice :) First time was in a Low Intensity Conflict Zone, which was fucking INTENSE. Seriously, never gotten destroyed that fast before.

Second was in a HIRES. We were doing really well for a while, but then we apparently flew into a cluster of enemies that were all a part of the same crew. We took down one wing of four but then quickly got demolished, seemingly out of nowhere...so much so that we thought there had been hackers, but it didn't say a CMDR had killed us.

Burny

Thanks a lot! :)

I'm good with "Neo Galactic Adventure Force". Maybe someone can whip us up a nice logo? :)

Well, I've certainly got an idea in my head, which would also make for a very nerdy T-Shirt. But I'm only moderately useful at drawing/painting and my time is very limited... >.< Maybe I can borrow a graphic tablet tonight and whip up a concept.

Burny

So how do you take high res screenshots? Where does it put it?

"Alt" + "F10", iirc. It'll take a screenshot at four times the currently configured resolution. Works only in solo though! Screenshots will be put in your (Windows-)PC's Image folder, wherever you configured that to be.

Home System!

Any suggestions? I haven't done much exploring if any, so I can't suggest anything, but a nice little system towards the border of inhabited space might be preferable to Sol's neighboring system. ;)

Ideally, I think having the home system on the border of inhabited space is great, but if possible, let's not keep it too far from a system where we can outfit and/or do some RES hunting nearby.

PS X1 Elite GAF, I've added all two of you :)

Reckheim

Home System!

Any suggestions? I haven't done much exploring if any, so I can't suggest anything, but a nice little system towards the border of inhabited space might be preferable to Sol's neighboring system. ;)

agreed, maybe a jump or two away from a good high tech system.

frontieruk

Ideally, I think having the home system on the border of inhabited space is great, but if possible, let's not keep it too far from a system where we can outfit and/or do some RES hunting nearby.

PS X1 Elite GAF, I've added all two of you :)

Likewise

p.s. that is a MANLY moustache!

Is Aztechnology still around? The OP could use a bit of an update. I'd be happy to put it together!
According the post search feature he was posting yesterday, perhaps ping a PM?

Player group Q&A posted today:

There is talk of 'Freedom Fighter' roles. How will this affect a groups ability to 'carve out' a place in the bubble?

It could be used to counter a power&#8217;s emergence, but this is not planned in the near future

=

Once a group ascends to Power status...how will the group be treated...as a controlled entity by the founders of that group....or will the group be added to PP and be a PP Power, and basically become a Community 'owned' asset?

It&#8217;s added to powerplay and operates in the same fashion as the other powers.

=

Can you discuss or lay out how player stories are expected to work? What CG's are available to the groups? What the frequency of CG's insertion would be for groups? Should they be used as modes of moving the story...or as culminating activities to a series of group actions, activities, reports?

GalNet stories are submitted in the usual fashion. CGs have to be approved, we&#8217;ll look at providing more detailed guidelines in the future, but the main issue would be using CGs to directly boost a minor faction&#8217;s influence or for doing things that could otherwise be done through the background sim. They can be used for story purposes, or as a call to arms or to develop a system.

The details on submitting a CG are on the main thread, linked to from the first post

As an example...a BGS Civil War breaks out. The group thinks a refugee exodus should occur based on the outcome of the war. They fight the war, get their outcome, the exodus occurs. Do we expect the exodus to be a quick report in Galnet (maybe with some RP by the group to move consumer items to a different system) or would this warrant a Trade CG within the new system to exemplify the movement of people and goods to that system (and could a CG be injected quickly enough to retain it's relevance to the story)?

It could work either way. How quickly a CG can be added depends on a number of factors and would be dealt with on a case by case basis.

=

If a group is already backing a minor faction, will it be possible to have that factions name changed to what the group chooses, or will every group get a fresh minor faction to build up?

If it&#8217;s already backing a minor faction then the minor faction remains as is, if they want a new name then they need a new minor faction.

=

If we choose a minor faction, would we be able to say who they where hostile / friendly / neutral / have a non aggregation pact ect.. with them?

Not specifically except by agreement with other player groups.

=

Can our faction be apolitical where we are friendly with all main powers, as a apolitical / non-political groups like the FGE and the Fuel rats or do we have to be hostile to one or more of the main powers?

That&#8217;s up to player group and any arrangements they make with other groups. The superpower alignment defines how they will be treated by the superpowers, minor factions can be independent, but that does not guarantee safety from the superpowers or powers.

I imagine there will be really interesting player led political affiliations and develpoments

=

How does adopting an existing minor faction work. Will you fill out the same details but the whole minor faction will change into your groups minor faction name and details? Or will it just show as you&#8217;re supporting them?

The minor faction details would not change, it would just be recorded that they have been adopted by a player group.

=

How is that going to happen? One day you release a server update and *poof* two dozen systems suddenly have a different owner that popped out of nowhere?

The minor factions would be added in batches through a server update as they are processed.

=

Due to the nature of the galaxy will the new minor factions be seen on both Xbox and PC/mac. The EDC has a very diverse group of members on different platforms who want to work together.

The minor factions are the same for all platforms.

=

Is there a limit to the name in terms of size and words. I take it calling the faction Elite Dangerous is a bit silly as would be Facebook group. Is EDC or FBEDC allowed?

The abbreviations shown in the examples would be fine, using Elite Dangerous wouldn&#8217;t.

=

Can we declare our minor faction as independent and neutral to all of the PP factions? We want to be the Switzerland of Elite and let everyone be apart of our minor faction and not keep getting enemy status on every passing ship.

You can declare it, but you would need to enforce it.

=

Is it okay if we don't have a faction leader at all? Would be important to communist factions.

Having no leader at all is perfectly fine.

=

If our request are refused by developers, will we be warned and will we be able to adjust our proposal to be compliant ?

Within reason yes, but it isn&#8217;t a debate and our decision will be final.

EDIT:

Likewise

p.s. that is a MANLY moustache!

According the post search feature he was posting yesterday, perhaps ping a PM?

Haha...tis one I can't grow in real life :( Modeled him after Tom Hardy's Bronson years ago and haven't changed him.

I'll ping him and see if he's okay with me drafting an update.

Reckheim

I'll jump in my asp today and go look for a few potential systems. Everyone ok with having something close the empire (still outside the bubble)?

Shifty76

Home System!

Apam Napat? Empire space between ALD and Hudson.

Lots of RES sites close to the jump in point. Outpost within a couple of LS of those and a coriolis ~250ls out iirc. High tech too.

Burny

Out of luck with the CH Pro Throttle. >.< It's sealed, which I overlooked yesterday, so no fiddling around for me - it's going back and I have to hope for a quick replacement. Not that I could use the setup to it's full potential before the pedals arrive. Sometime in October maybe.

@Pomerlaw: That picture would be wallpaper material for me, if it wasn't for the color banding and the loss of sharpness towards the edges. How did you take it?

I'll collect requests for a home system:

Lots of RES sites close to the jump in point. Outpost within a couple of LS of those and a coriolis ~250ls out iirc. High tech too.

Pomerlaw

Out of luck with the CH Pro Throttle. >.< It's sealed, which I overlooked yesterday, so no fiddling around for me - it's going back and I have to hope for a quick replacement. Not that I could use the setup to it's full potential before the pedals arrive. Sometime in October maybe.

@Pomerlaw: That picture would be wallpaper material for me, if it wasn't for the color banding and the loss of sharpness towards the edges. How did you take it?

I'll collect requests for a home system:

The picture ain't mine. It has been modified (it is much brighter than the actual game). Too much imo, but still looks cool.

Burny

Logo suggestions...

Some color variants, although I'd much rather be going for completely flat colors. And the shapes are still not what I'd like them to be, but time didn't allow to make this exactly how I'd imagied it - yet.

Reckheim

this one does look really good, how are the res sites?

I nominate Giryampi ( if its still available), high tech as well, lots of RES sites as well (had some good luck in them)

Burny

That makes two suggestions for a home system btw.:

Apam Napat

Any more? If I'm lucky, I can hop into a Hauler this evening and have a look at them, but I might not have the time. Could you provide a screenshot of the system map and maybe of interesting neighboring systems, just in case?

Maybe there's no need to hurry, but I think the earlier we apply for the minor faction, the lower are the chances that anything might be taken. ;)

Hylian7

That makes two suggestions for a home system btw.:

Any more? If I'm lucky, I can hop into a Hauler this evening and have a look at them, but I might not have the time. Could you provide a screenshot of the system map and maybe of interesting neighboring systems, just in case?

Maybe there's no need to hurry, but I think the earlier we apply for the minor faction, the lower are the chances thatanything might be taken. ;)

I'm on board with Apam Napat, I left a Sidewinder there to bookmark it.

Burny

Today's dev update:

Hi everyone,

Following on from last week's dev update our big focus at the moment is preparing for the CQC update beta and alongside it the Xbox One release. The CQC update is currently going through our internal QA pass and assuming this continues going well we’ll release the beta next week after the Bank Holiday.

CQC Championship is the main feature of the update and that has changed quite a bit since GPP2 on Xbox One. We've been working on matchmaking to improve its speed and reliability. The Xbox One version uses Xbox Live’s functionality, but for PC we have created our own, which is one of the features needing hammering in the beta test.

We've also added two new maps for the update: Ice Field and Asteria Point. Ice Field sees you flying through a dense asteroid field where skilled piloting of your ship is required and Asteria Point where the tunnels system in the main structure can be used to shake a tail. Customising ship loadouts is another great addition to CQC. As players rank up they'll unlock new weapons, abilities and internal modules that they can apply to their ships. Each item offers the player a different way to set up their ship so they can have it set up to match their playing style.

When players reach CQC Rank 50 they'll be given the option to 'Prestige'. Prestiging allows the player to set their rank back to 1 where they will lose all of their unlocks, but in return they will be able to earn more credits for use in the main game, a permit to the Attilius Orbital starport in CD-4311917 and a new icon next to their name to show others that this pilot is not to be trifled with. A player can progress up to Prestige Level 9 where they max out the amount of credits they can earn and are seen as one of the best fighter pilots around.

Players can earn credits for use in the main game when they play CQC. The amount of credits a player earns depends on their performance in the match as well as their ranking. The higher their ranking the more credits you can be awarded. When a player Prestiges they open up the possibility of earning even more credits as their rank, and reputation, increases.

As always with a major update there’s also a host of tweaks and fixes and we’ll post the change log when we release the beta.

Thanks!

Michael

Mengy

Sorry to hear it Burny. I got my full CH setup yesterday: CH Flightstick, Pro Throttle, and Pro Pedals. I was surprised to see that all three have their own USB jack, with my Saitek X45 both the throttle and stick share one USB, and my Logitech G27 also plugs into one USB (wheel, pedals, and shifter), but with the CH units they all plug in separately. For a moment I really didn't think I had enough open USB ports, but I had exactly three open so woohoo. Installed the CH manager software which looks like it was programmed in the 90's but it works extremely well so no real complaints there. All three controllers calibrated quickly and all buttons and axes worked without issue (sorry Burny!!!).

My plan was to test the setup both in Prepar3D and Elite Dangerous, but to be honest I never got to load up Elite, because I was still flying at 2 AM in P3D, lol. Yeah this CH stuff is awesome! I mean wow, I had no idea how bad my X45 had gotten, I had just gotten used to the squeaks and stuff from the stick but this Flightstick is soooo smooth, it's so easy to make precision maneuvers and fine control inputs. And the pedals, WOAH, man are they great. Flying coordinated turns in small aviation planes is incredible now. I thought that rudder rocker on my X45 was good enough but SHIT was I wrong.

I can't wait to remap my controls in Elite and fly my Diamondback Scout with this setup, I may just have an orgasm from the ecstasy of it.

Oh, and I agree with the consensus, the orange logo is perfect. Very well done Burny!

EDIT: Apam Napat for our home system? Maybe I'll fly their tonight and check it out.

Reckheim

So, looks like the current consensus is the below.

Name of group: Neo Galactic Adventure Force
Name of minor faction: Neo Galactic Adventure Force
Type: (e.g Democracy, Criminal etc) Democracy (we didn't really talk too much about this)
Description:
Allegiance:Empire

Anyone want to write up a witty description? Is everyone ok with the rest of the stuff?

I feel like burny is right and if we don't submit in the near future all the good systems might be taken.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom