• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elite: Dangerous |OT| Every Man's Sky

Status
Not open for further replies.
Federal Gunship

mYt3vMu.jpg

1miCSeb.png

sl4X8su.jpg

4j5mvkX.jpg

A6 Shield genny-capable. The only ship in the game heavier is the T-9. Heavier than the Anaconda, Python, Clipper, so I'm not sure how strong the shields will ultimately be.

Similar in speed to Anaconda/Python, but with a much higher boost speed.

Face only a mother could love.

1 x Class 3
4 x Class 2
2 x Class 1

7 Hardoints total. Only the Anaconda has more.

Interesting post on FD forums from a dev on SCB:

AI can use shield cells, though not every ship loadout has them. This is part of a slightly wider issue where high skill-level AI don't always have the hardware you might expect them to fly with. Over time, this is something we'll want to look at, but not right now.

Playing devil's advocate for a moment, there's also possibly an argument that if shield cells were removed, why would Commanders stick around after losing their shields if they currently leave when they run out of cells?

Shield cells were made to have somewhat more punitive heat and power effects a while back, which I think was in the right direction, but possibly too restrained.

We have been discussing them recently: one idea I'm personally quite interested in is the concept that cells overcharge your shields to unsafe levels, beyond the generator's normal capacity, potentially damaging your shield generator (and thus causing malfunctions/destruction) if during the time the cell is active the shield *doesn't* receive enough damage to drain it down to below the generator's normal maximum. We haven't checked all the angles on this idea (and there are others), but at face value it seems potentially cool to me.

I still strongly believe shield cells have a place in the game and don't want to remove them, however, although there won't be any changes in the short term, given time we'll get around to looking at them again to see if we can make their functionality better.

Hope this info helps.

Also, Elite is up for a "Best Audio" Golden Joystick.

Hylian7

Tried out the 1.4 Beta today, here's my thoughts on it.

First of all, a VOD of it should show up on my YouTube channel momentarily, so you can watch all this stuff if you would like: https://gaming.youtube.com/hyliansevendota

The first ship I tried was the Imperial Eagle, it is very very very fast, I was breaking 400 easily in it, and I had outfitted it quite a bit. It's definitely a more effective version of the Eagle, and I think probably falls at a middle ground between the starter Sidewinder and the Viper or Cobra. It's speed is definitely it's biggest asset, not to mention the thing looks damn nice! The Empire really knows how to design ships. One of it's major weaknesses I noticed though was it's little heat tolerance. One Plasma Accelerator shot was giving me a "Heat Levels Critical" warning, and things got a big hairy sometimes when I got slightly too close to a star. Overall I like the ship, but of course it's at a much more entry-level price.

Next I tried the Federal Assault Ship. This one, I would say was like the superior, better-looking brother of the Federal Dropship. It has two huge hardpoints, one located on the top and the other on the bottom. I put cannons on both of the m, and it was very nice the damage I was putting out from those. It also has two medium hardpoints located under the ship, so I put Beam Lasers there. It was kind of weird realizing I had to put my nose slightly above my target so the gimbals would lock on my enemies, but I got used to it. The shields on it are no joke, and the power plant is great on it too. I was able to put quite a bit into it and I was 0.18 under power capacity WHEN DEPLOYED on the best Power Plant available on the ship. Not a fighter class ship obviously, and does have a similar weakness of the Anaconda or Dropship, being that it's not as manuverable as the lighter, fighter ships such as Vultures. It also doesn't have hardpoints in more places to put turrets, like the Anaconda. Overall another good ship though, definitely more on the "battlehship" side than a fighter. A lot of fun to fly.

The other ship was the Federal Gunship, but unfortunately, even with everything costing 10% or normal price, I was still about a mil short to buy a Federal Gunship and didn't feel like taking the time to grind out the mil in beta, plus whatever I would need for outfitting. I might give this a try another time, but I didn't feel like it at the moment.

I also gave CQC a try. I have mixed feelings about it. I don't particularly care for the "Call of Duty" style progression in it, especially that if I understand it correctly you don't get much of a choice in your loadout. You also start out with gimballed Beam Lasers on an F63 Condor. Now the Condor isn't a bad ship for this per se, but I really think they missed an opportunity and should have had fixed weapons instead of gimballed. The Gimballed weapons feel kind of "cheap" here as it's just kind of "aim in the general vicinity of your opponent and hit them". Don't get me wrong, I know gimballed weapons exist in the main game, but this is ALL ABOUT combat and dogfighting, I think the added skill required to use fixed weapons (and the damage output), should make them the standard here. I looked at the unlockable ships, and you can only really unlock the fighter ships, which makes sense, but I found it really strange that the Vulture is missing, even as the last ship you unlock. I feel like the Vulture would fit right into this mode.

There were three modes, Deathmatch, Team Deathmatch, and Capture the Flag. They were all definitely fun to play, I particularly liked Capture the Flag. You fly through a capture point to get the flag and when you carry it, you leave a long trail behind you, making it easier for enemy players to find you and take you out. Of course when I flew through a capture point, my game crashed. I gave a detailed bug report to Frontier though.
happy.gif

I found it kind of strange that when you load into a match, there is no countdown or anything, it's just "Okay here you are go!" Felt kind of jarring and out of place to me, I hope some kind of countdown gets added later on. The maps themselves were cool, they weren't kidding about the CQC stuff, and you can fly in narrow spaces inside buildings, things of that nature. There was a stage that had tons of icy asteroids in the area that made for really nice manuvering.

CQC is fun, definitely a nice break from the main game of Elite, especially if you are a trader or explorer and want to take a break from that just for some combat that doesn't involve you throwing out chaff and trying to jump out of there.

Shifty76

OK, am I missing something stupid here?

Running This FDL build.

With the E rated KWS I should be at 99.3% power when deployed, yet I keep shutting down. If I turn off the KWS then I'm fine.

I'm fine with the life support shutting down (hence the A grade) but why am I losing thrusters, shields etc at 99.3% usage?

Hylian7

Running This FDL build.

With the E rated KWS I should be at 99.3% power when deployed, yet I keep shutting down. If I turn off the KWS then I'm fine.

I'm fine with the life support shutting down (hence the A grade) but why am I losing thrusters, shields etc at 99.3% usage?

Did you go to your modules and put things you don't need with hardpoints deployed on lower priorities?

The first thing on the chopping block should always be the FSD. You can't use it with hardpoints deployed, so just save the power and put it on lower priority. Beyond that you can find other scanners such as wake scanners, interdictors, etc. If that's still not enough, do what I do in my Vulture.

ZprXWYW.png

If I have hardpoints deployed with the Beam Laser disabled, my KWS is enabled. I scan, then enable the Beam Laser so my KWS is automatically disabled. This allows me to work with the Vulture's poor Power Plant.

Running This FDL build.

why are you doing this no life support build? you only like being in combat 25-40 minutes? I don't see any reason for you to be doing this at all.

let me ftfy:

http://coriolis.io/outfit/fer_de_la...Iw18QDCQ.CwBhGYEYxS7gTE5tLHEA?bn=Shifty76 FDL

and consider dropping the second SCB for a class 4 scoop. there is literally nothing more depressing in this game than having to go 100+ LY in a ship with a 12LY jump range, 8T fuel tank and a class 2 fuel scoop. Something more like:

http://coriolis.io/outfit/fer_de_la...cAMxA===.CwBhGYEYxS7gTE5sriA=?bn=Shifty76 FDL

You'll get places 5x-10x faster and actually enjoy the trip. Your shields will be more than strong enough since you're doing a multicannon build and you'll have enough chaff and heat sinks to last a good, long time or make a smooth escape as needed. suffocation builds just make no sense at all unless you're in something awful like a Vulture. don't do it.

Shifty76

Did you go to your modules and put things you don't need with hardpoints deployed on lower priorities?

The first thing on the chopping block should always be the FSD. You can't use it with hardpoints deployed, so just save the power and put it on lower priority. Beyond that you can find other scanners such as wake scanners, interdictors, etc. If that's still not enough, do what I do in my Vulture.

ZprXWYW.png

If I have hardpoints deployed with the Beam Laser disabled, my KWS is enabled. I scan, then enable the Beam Laser so my KWS is automatically disabled. This allows me to work with the Vulture's poor Power Plant.

Yes, of course. You can see how priorities are set in the link provided. I'm at 99.3% with all essential modules powered yet still lose thrusters, shield etc for some reason.

@Dreams: The ship generally stays parked where I'll be fighting. Of course I'd switch to an A4 scoop if I had to go anywhere :)
Guess I could switch out the A2 scoop to a hull reinforcement or something more useful in combat.

Also: Retract hardpoints for 5 secs between enemies and the timer resets, so you have as long as you want.

The first thing on the chopping block should always be the FSD.

Just for future reference: this will no longer be true in 1.5 forward. Your setup will want to look something like what I suggested to him yesterday (altered version below):

http://coriolis.io/outfit/fer_de_la...QDCQ.CwBhGYwRhK7gTAsIH2OIA===?bn=Shifty76 FDL

Basically, the change to how a dead Power Plant works (50% reduction in maximum power output if dropped to 0%) means if you're in an emergency situation, you need to be able to quickly move your FSD to priority 1 so that if your PP gets killed, you can still make your jump.

Consider the scenario: you're dogfighting and lose your shields. Outnumbered or outgunned, you recognize it's time to GTFO, but are mass locked and the enemy ship is faster than yours so they're able to continue firing even as you boost away. You set a high wake jump to a nearby system, close your hardpoints and spool up. The enemy targets your PP. Your power plant gets dropped to 0%. If you don't blow up, you're going to have half the usual amount of power to go around to your systems. Now, if you have your FSD set to some low priority and can't switch it to priority 1 quickly (without turning off 10 things to not break the power organization) to keep your spool up going, that enemy ship is going to kill your drives or just outright kill you in your panic and disorganization. The days of having all of your essentials and toys on priority 1 and everything else in priority 2 are dead. Properly arranging your power priorities will sometimes mean the difference between life and death.

The above setup works because if you toggle the FSD over from priority 4 to priority 1, you'll see that a bunch of non-essential systems are disabled and your FSD, Life Support, Distributor and Thrusters are comfortably under that 50% threshold (which is your max when everything goes to shit). In the above scenario, with shields dropped, you'd immediately enter that panel, switch the FSD to priority 1 and spool the jump. It should only add about 3 seconds of delay to the execution of the jump out.

In the linked, I also moved both of the chaff launchers and heat sink launchers to priority 1 because if you have some chaff and heat sinks left, you'll want access to them in this sort of emergency situation. Few items ensure an escape like chaff and heat sinks as they both defeat radar and gimbals.

So yea, sorry for being verbose, but the power plant change is pretty huge. If your power organization is not efficient and if it does not account for the emergency situation of losing half of your power plant's maximum Mw power output, you're going to die. I appreciate this because it adds additional nuance and strategy to the game. Now you really do have to think about how you set up your power. This will be an issue for anyone who is pushing their power output to the very limits and will mean yet another thing to remember to do in order to save your life. This is good, as going over your power limit should have some cons/complexities. :D

Meant to post this yesterday, but that one guy who created a useful guide to module priority months ago updated his (for the 1.4 beta, of course):

I made a guide months ago here detailing very efficient ways to set up power priorities further than "combat on 1 everything else on 2". With the power plant changes this patch, now would be a good reminder for everyone that optimized power output is now essential.
Since the threshold for the power plant malfunction is now 50%, I'll be changing the guide a bit.

Priority 5: Normal flight non-essentials
This priority is reserved for things you cannot use in normal flight, or things you won't use normally. This includes Fuel Scoops, Interdictors and Cargo Hatches. If you need to enable your cargo hatch for any reason, either retract your hardpoints or, if that's not an option, disable a high-power item such as a power intensive weapon or a shield cell bank while instead having the Hatch on priority 4.

Priority 4: Combat non-essentials
This is generally reserved for things like scanners, FSD*, or collector limpets. For things like a KWS, Cargo scanner or Wake scanner that you're only going to be using once per fight (NPC pirate hunting is different, may as well have KWs on 3), you can usually disable a weapon or two before the fight to get your scan off. In the case of a wake scanner, since you won't be in combat (hopefully) while performing the scan, this goes doubly so.
Limpets differ depending on how you're using them. Miners should have these in 3 while pirates should have them here and disable a high-power item to make it function.
FSD should be here in-combat *until your shields go down and you fear destruction. In that case, it should be move to priority 1.

Priority 3: Defensive countermeasures
These are on 3 because when they fail your plant is already being shot up by the time they go offline. This is reserved for things like Chaff, Heat Sinks, Shield Boosters, and Shield Cell Banks - Occasionally your Shield Generator can go here, but I would advise against it since amess up in outfitting usually disables priority 3 (and therefore your shields in-station). Things like your smaller (or larger, depending on your preference) could also go here in order to keep a line on 50% between priority 2 and 3.

The split: 50% power line

Priority 2: Combat essentials
Reserved for things you need in combat. Hardpoints, Power Distributor, and Shield Generator go here. Larger (or smaller) hardpoints should be split between 2 and 3, or you can easily have priority 2 taking over 50% of power on its own.
If you need to, in combat you can move your shield generator to priority 3 from priority 2. This allows much more power to 2 and 1 in the case of plant failure, especially since it's unlikely in a bigger ship that your shields will come back up before you either escape or be destroyed.

Priority 1: Everything is disabled oh god now what
This priority is reserved only for things that help you escape. This means thrusters and sensors only, usually. You might want one chaff launcher here as well. If you are in combat with shields down and you suspect your power plant is going to be shot out, put your FSD here - beforehand or during combat, it doesn't matter. You do not want your FSD disabled in the case of a malfunction, so unless you absolutely need it unpowered to run your set up, it should go here. If you're in combat and you suspect a malfunction, you need to move it from wherever it is to here and disable something you don't need - Like a SCB.
Any questions or concerns feel free to point out.

Also, daaaaaaamn. Looking good.

Hylian7

Just for future reference: this will no longer be true in 1.5 forward. Your setup will want to look something like what I suggested to him yesterday (altered version below):

http://coriolis.io/outfit/fer_de_la...QDCQ.CwBhGYwRhK7gTAsIH2OIA===?bn=Shifty76 FDL

Basically, the change to how a dead Power Plant works (50% reduction in maximum power output if dropped to 0%) means if you're in an emergency situation, you need to be able to quickly move your FSD to priority 1 so that if your PP gets killed, you can still make your jump.

Consider the scenario: you're dogfighting and lose your shields. Outnumbered or outgunned, you recognize it's time to GTFO, but are mass locked and the enemy ship is faster than yours so they're able to continue firing even as you boost away. You set a high wake jump to a nearby system, close your hardpoints and spool up. The enemy targets your PP. Your power plant gets dropped to 0%. If you don't blow up, you're going to have half the usual amount of power to go around to your systems. Now, if you have your FSD set to some low priority and can't switch it to priority 1 quickly (without turning off 10 things to not break the power organization) to keep your spool up going, that enemy ship is going to kill your drives or just outright kill you in your panic and disorganization. The days of having all of your essentials and toys on priority 1 and everything else in priority 2 are dead. Properly arranging your power priorities will sometimes mean the difference between life and death.

The above setup works because if you toggle the FSD over from priority 4 to priority 1, you'll see that a bunch of non-essential systems are disabled and your FSD, Life Support, Distributor and Thrusters are comfortably under that 50% threshold (which is your max when everything goes to shit). In the above scenario, with shields dropped, you'd immediately enter that panel, switch the FSD to priority 1 and spool the jump. It should only add about 3 seconds of delay to the execution of the jump out.

In the linked, I also moved both of the chaff launchers and heat sink launchers to priority 1 because if you have some chaff and heat sinks left, you'll want access to them in this sort of emergency situation. Few items ensure an escape like chaff and heat sinks as they both defeat radar and gimbals.

So yea, sorry for being verbose, but the power plant change is pretty huge. If your power organization is not efficient and if it does not account for the emergency situation of losing half of your power plant's maximum Mw power output, you're going to die. I appreciate this because it adds additional nuance and strategy to the game. Now you really do have to think about how you set up your power. This will be an issue for anyone who is pushing their power output to the very limits and will mean yet another thing to remember to do in order to save your life. This is good, as going over your power limit should have some cons/complexities. :D
Wait, what about this is changing in 1.5?

Wait, what about this is changing in 1.5?

whatever the CQC update is numbered.

These are good rules of thumb here. However you set up your 1-5 is immaterial; the important point is to account for the scenario where you only have 50% of your normal available power for all of your systems. Plan accordingly. My ED Shipyard link is an excellent example of power management that will give you the usual power you expect, and the ability to quickly toggle a single module to priority 1 (FSD) if you're in an emergency and need to save your ass where your PP may be in jeopardy and you need to escape. Set your priorities accordingly and you'll be good.

Also, daaaaaaamn. Looking good.
Eh. My conda is already white and looks better than that.

Hylian7

1.4, not 1.5.

Powerplant destruction is no longer a guaranteed kill. Instead, you'll lose power, as Dreams mentioned, with a small chance of complete destruction.

whatever the CQC update is numbered.

These are good rules of thumb here. However you set up your 1-5 is immaterial; the important point is to account for the scenario where you only have 50% of your normal available power for all of your systems. Plan accordingly. My ED Shipyard link is an excellent example of power management that will give you the usual power you expect, and the ability to quickly toggle a single module to priority 1 (FSD) if you're in an emergency and need to save your ass where your PP may be in jeopardy and you need to escape. Set your priorities accordingly and you'll be good.

Eh. My conda is already white and looks better than that.

I see. I still think that the FSD should be put on priority 2 so it disables if necessary when hardpoints are deployed. You can't use it with hardpoints deployed, so there is literally no reason to have it enabled, just a waste of power. If your power plant gets fucked, then you can change things around if you have to.

Although I often put FSD priority to disabled when hardpoints deployed, but I do see a difference (maybe a bug?).

When it's priority 1, I can press "retract hardpoints" and immediately start charging the FSD during the retraction process.

When it's priority 2, I have to wait for the hardpoints to fully retract before I can charge the FSD.

Those few seconds could be a life/death difference when escaping from combat.

Braben is doing an AMA on r/xboxone right now.

EDIT: X1 full release is Oct 6th. I'll make a thread once the AMA is over in case any new info comes out.

AMA info:

• On release, the X1 universe will be synced with the PC. This doesn't mean that you can crossplay, but it means that your actions (there is a LOT of background simulation involved in Elite), discoveries, etc. will be shared across the platforms.
  • They are looking into extending the trial time
  • Game Preview sales have met expecations
  • Game Preview owners (that is, those who paid $30 for the preview, not just tried the free trial) will get an exclusive reward for participation
  • Not sure if Lifetime Season pass, or the Season Pass itself, is coming to X1
  • Horizons is for sure coming to X1, but sounds like after the PC release (which is Holiday 2016 season--Nov/Dec); he says "not for a while yet I'm afraid"
  • He thinks having a cross-platform season pass would be a good idea to implement in the future, but it's "quite a challenge"
  • PC Beta test program (basically, early access to test features) is coming to X1
  • You might be able to use purchased paint jobs from PC on your X1
  • There will "probably" be some kind of account transfer between X1 and PC
  • Combat Logging will receive harsher punishments
  • When the full game is released, you'll lose your ships/loadouts from the Game Preview, but will be reimbursed and can keep your credit balance. Ranks, including CQC ranks and Prestige, should be preserved.
  • More info on Horizons will come out in the next few weeks
  • They'll "look at" mod support (voice commands, cockpit/UI colors, etc.) in X1 but it's difficult--no promises
  • Ship customization (naming ships, unique identifiers, etc.) will surely "come with time, but it is not imminent"
  • Elite X1 controller should work fine
  • He would like to have the ability to use actual joysticks, other than the X1 gamepad, with Elite; he suspects they will come with time, as how Guitar Hero/Rock Band had their own "controllers"
  • Headtracking via Kinect is not currently on roadmap

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
I think CQC is tedious and shallow. It's just meh...

I have absolutely zero interest in it. Maybe it'll keep some of those griefers out of the starting systems though, which would be good.

Eh, I don't know, I probably won't love it but I'm reserving judgement until I try it. I do like some combat now and then, so I might enjoy it. I would much rather they focus some dev time on exploration stuff or other aspects of the game rather than every patch being combat focused.

Still debating on whether or not to buy the season pass, or just grab the expansions as they come out.

HelloMeow

turning and burning around asteroids and space stations is tedious and shallow? sir, pls.

It is when you can't go very fast and can boost only once per minute (exaggeration). Everything reloads and recharges slow. Besides, every weapon is gimballed, even if it says it's fixed. It has become a lot like that "turrets in space" thing they were trying to avoid.

It is when you can't go very fast and can boost only once per minute (exaggeration). Everything reloads and recharges slow. Besides, every weapon is gimballed, even if it says it's fixed. It has become a lot like that "turrets in space" thing they were trying to avoid.
hmm. i see. maybe the better stuff that addresses those things comes via unlock? and hopefully more interesting weapons and fixed varieties are made available in later patches. I've seen some video of some very impressive play already. I'm excite. Hopefully I'm more entertained than you've been.

also,

I made it bros. I'm about to be Scrooge McDuck up in this bitch.

Hylian7

hmm. i see. maybe the better stuff that addresses those things comes via unlock? and hopefully more interesting weapons and fixed varieties are made available in later patches. I've seen some video of some very impressive play already. I'm excite. Hopefully I'm more entertained than you've been.

also,

I made it bros. I'm about to be Scrooge McDuck up in this bitch.
Holy shit, congrats. Which ship did you do all that with?

Hylian7

Awesome, I need to get me one of those.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

An unrelated rant: Dear Frontier,

MAKE HIGH INTENSITY RES ACTUALLY CONSISTENTLY SPAWN BIG SHIPS.

Love, Me

It's really frustrating that they made the distinction of High Intensity RES, but then most of the time you won't get the spawn table and have to keep re-instancing it until you get the spawn table you want. Normal RES should have decent rank Eagles and Cobras flying around, that's fine. Most miners shouldn't be too afraid of them. Everyone that uses the High Intensity RES either just logs in and out over and over again or goes to supercruise, drops, repeat until Pythons, Clippers, and Dropships. I don't understand that if you can just exploit the RNG by doing this, and clearly nobody is interested in the High Intensity RES with the tissue paper Eagles flying around, why they still exist in the High Intensity RES. All it does is just benefit the players that know how to exploit the game's RNG.

I know there's the mechanic that if more players are at an RES in Open, then there will be bigger ships and more of them. That's great, except nobody wants to RES hunt in open unless they are with a wing or something because they'll just get their kills stolen all the time. It's easier and profitable to constantly spawn table cycle in solo to get the spawn table you want rather than trying to fight other players for the big ships in Open.

It's just a silly thing of "why does this still work this way if it's completely worthless and there's a way around it?"

Another mini-rant: Why don't they have a service to taxi ships at other stations to where you are? There would be a fee of course.

Better yet, why not let you take smaller ships in the cargo of larger ships to transport?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom