• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elite: Dangerous |OT| Every Man's Sky

Status
Not open for further replies.

frontieruk

Just a quick thank you to Burny and Reckheim for the work on the NeoGAF faction.

To OT had been updated to refect the submission made today the commander list link added to the OT as a hidden link.

Burny went to update my details and the spreadsheet said view only.

Hylian7

Yep, keep on farming.

A FSD is the next priority and probably the highest of all. In fact, given your Credits, I'd suggest:

1.) Downgrade the powerplant. You have no need for an A-grade PowerPlant when most of your parts are still below optimal. Try a C or B class PowerPlant and upgrade the powerplant as needed to accommodate growing power needs.

2.) Upgrade FSD to A as soon as possible.

3.) Upgrade Scoop to A4. Makes traveling long distance much more reasonable.

4.) Sensors - Always D. Never more than D.

5.) Life support - D. always D.

6.) Replace Discovery Scanner with an Interdictor.

7.) Dump beam turrets. They're awful. Very little damage for the power draw and you have very limited power due to the low grade distributor.

8.) Upgrade distributor as high as you can afford ASAP.

9.) Get yourself 4x fixed/gimbaled pulse lasers. You really won't need anything else for a long time, offensively.

10.) For utility mounts, something like 2x A0 boosters, 2x chaff and 1x heat sink will do.

11.) Thrusters - Get D thrusters until you can afford A thrusters. Always do this. D thrusters are the lightest, offsetting the strength and weight of C's. Always go D --> A for thrusters.

Had a great haul doing some RES farming today, and changed some stuff based on these suggestions.

079mt7k.jpg

LzlN0JN.jpg

I have to go elsewhere for the D Life Support, D Sensors, and A4 Fuel Scoop.

I think this thing might be RES-farm-ready now though. I'll have to give it a try and see how it goes after the first big ship I kill.

Hylian7

Made my first RES hunt with my new FDL. Summary: Soooooo goooood. I came home with 4.5 mil in less than an hour. I could go through so many ships quickly. When I get that cannon it will be even better!

Hylian7

CROEJAB.png

http://coriolis.io/outfit/fer_de_la...25366.Iw18aQ==.CwBhCYy6Z4g=?bn=HylianSevenFDL

I've finished it. As for the power, I've set priorities on modules, and I have to disable my Kill Warrant Scanner to use my Cannon, which is no problem at all as I have no reason to use both of those at the same time. The time it takes to re-deploy the cannon is also no big deal as I would be taking down shields with the pulse lasers anyway before actually firing the Cannon.

She is done though!

Newsletter is out!

If Elite wins any of the four Golden Joysticks it's up for, they're gonna give out a gold Sidewinder paint job for free.

f3965c01-65c4-431f-b415-ae9f960b0458.jpg

Vote here: http://www.gamesradar.com/goldenjoy...-303719953&ct=t(Elite_Dangerous_Newsletter_90)

X1 full release is actually pretty cheap!

We aim to release Elite: Dangerous on Xbox One on 6 October 2015 for $37.49 in the US, £29.99 in the UK and €37.49 in Europe. This is the final release price, but remember, you can pick up the game at a discount price on the Xbox Store now as part of the GPP, which will automatically update for free to the full game upon final release.

And...dat Corvette.

An early look at the Federal Corvette, coming to Elite: Dangerous soon. The Corvette is the largest pilotable Federal ship, with some massive stopping power - two medium, three large and two huge hardpoints.

already saving for the $250 $300 mill base price for that Corvette (or however much it will be).

"Get fucked"
2x C4 Plasma Accelerators
2x C3 Fixed/Gimbaled Beams
1x C3 Pulse
2x C2 Pulse

----
"Deep fried pain"
2x C3 Beams
3x C2 Multicannons

----
"FOR SPARTA!!!"
3x C3 Fixed Beams
2x C2 Rail Guns

----
"Impending doom"
3x C3 F/G Pulse/Burst Lasers
2x C2 F/G Pulse/Burst Lasers

----
"TF2 Engineer's Delight"
3x C3 Beam Turrets
2x C3 Pulse Turret
2x C2 Missile/Torpedo Launchers

----
"The Guns of Navarone"
2x C4 Cannons
3x C3 Cannons
2x C2 F/G Beams

? I came a little.

I finally have purpose behind my farming. I'll finally be able to permanently retire the Python. And maybe the Anaconda too if the big trading ship also comes in that patch.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Hmmm, only a few more days until they take the lifetime season pass off the store. I need to decide now whether I'm buying the expansions one by one or paying the $200 to get everything for Elite that will ever come out......

Hmmm, only a few more days until they take the lifetime season pass off the store. I need to decide now whether I'm buying the expansions one by one or paying the $200 to get everything for Elite that will ever come out......

The only pass i've ever bought that I felt like I got my money's worth out of was Borderlands 2. Let the developers continue to earn their money by showing us what they're planning and implementing when it's ready to be shown, I say. Dropping $200 on promises and hopes? Not again.

Yeah, I'm okay with waiting. I think the success (or failure) of Horizons will be a big measure of my faith in FD. If they knock it out of the park, I'll pick up the pass next time it's on sale.

Burny

Got the lifetime pass the day it was made available again. Not financially responsible, but I'd like to support Frontier here. Having beta access is also nice.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Yeah, I'm leaning towards just buying them one at a time too. If we had some kind of roadmap, ANY kind of roadmap, to give me some idea of the value I'd be buying I doubt I'd think this hard about it. As it is now buying the season pass is a $190 gamble that essentially costs the same as buying four expansions over the next four years separately. Who knows how many expansions are planned, or what the will contain, or when they will be available, or what price they will be.

$45 per year is much easier to justify than $190 all upfront. And who knows, the season pass might pop up one day on a huge sale price too, then I'd really feel like a tool if I'd paid huge money for it.

One at a time it is.

Hylian7

Corvette will definitely become the new "end all be all" ship, taking the Anaconda's place. My guess on the price will be 280 mil. I really hope they don't lock it behind federal ranks or anything like that though. Hopefully they don't though since I don't think the Gunship and Assault Ship are. I still wonder why the Dropship out of all Federal ships is the one locked behind a rank. It's not very good, at least I have never really seen or heard of a good one.

FDL is so damn nice. I'm noticing a weird thing with my Cannon on the Huge Hardpoint: Why doesn't it fire sometimes when I press the button for it? It's not reloading, I have full bars and pips in Weapons, what gives? I've missed tons of shots with it because it didn't fire when I told it to.

FDL flies like a dream though. So fast, and mass locks nearly anything, while only getting mass locked by other FDLs or Anacondas, the latter being so much slower so it hardly matters. The only complaint I have is that it gets kind of slippery to turn around, but I expected that to come with the territory of bigger ships.

Corvette will definitely become the new "end all be all" ship, taking the Anaconda's place. My guess on the price will be 280 mil. I really hope they don't lock it behind federal ranks or anything like that though. Hopefully they don't though since I don't think the Gunship and Assault Ship are. I still wonder why the Dropship out of all Federal ships is the one locked behind a rank. It's not very good, at least I have never really seen or heard of a good one.

FDL is so damn nice. I'm noticing a weird thing with my Cannon on the Huge Hardpoint: Why doesn't it fire sometimes when I press the button for it? It's not reloading, I have full bars and pips in Weapons, what gives? I've missed tons of shots with it because it didn't fire when I told it to.

FDL flies like a dream though. So fast, and mass locks nearly anything, while only getting mass locked by other FDLs or Anacondas, the latter being so much slower so it hardly matters. The only complaint I have is that it gets kind of slippery to turn around, but I expected that to come with the territory of bigger ships.

Pretty sure most new ships are gonna be locked behind rank. From Galnet: https://community.elitedangerous.com/galnet

The other major change introduced with the new Eagle is that it has been manufactured by Gutamaya Shipyards rather than Core Dynamics, who produced the Eagle Mk II. The result, as one might expect, is a sleeker, more elegant vessel, albeit one that has retained the menacing profile of the earlier model. Additionally, the vessel has been produced specifically for the Imperial Navy, meaning that pilots will need to hold a rank of Outsider or above in the Imperial Navy to fly it.

The Federal Gunship is expected to retail at 45,814,000 CR, and will be available to all pilots holding the rank of Ensign or above in the Federal Navy Auxiliary.

Having been developed for the Federal Navy, the Federal Assault Ship is only available to pilots who hold the rank of Chief Petty Officer or above in the Federal Navy Auxiliary. The vessel is expected to retail at 19,814,205 CR.

Seems like if the ships is designed for either military, there will be a rank requirement.

Also, the Corvette's "contemporary" sounds like it will be the Imperial Cutter, which we only have concept art for at the moment.

Pretty sure most new ships are gonna be locked behind rank. From Galnet: https://community.elitedangerous.com/galnet

Seems like if the ships is designed for either military, there will be a rank requirement.

Also, the Corvette's "contemporary" sounds like it will be the Imperial Cutter, which we only have concept art for at the moment.

Word.

Glad I've already done enough bulletin board missions for Adminal *and* King, so I'm all set until they add new higher faction ranks. So at least there's that. Not looking forward to having to do it all again when the Alliance finally gets some ships, but I suspect that will be a year away at least, so no prob.

New goal: Reach a $1,000,000,000.00 balance.

Yep, keep on farming.

A FSD is the next priority and probably the highest of all. In fact, given your Credits, I'd suggest:

1.) Downgrade the powerplant. You have no need for an A-grade PowerPlant when most of your parts are still below optimal. Try a C or B class PowerPlant and upgrade the powerplant as needed to accommodate growing power needs.

2.) Upgrade FSD to A as soon as possible.

3.) Upgrade Scoop to A4. Makes traveling long distance much more reasonable.

4.) Sensors - Always D. Never more than D.

5.) Life support - D. always D.

6.) Replace Discovery Scanner with an Interdictor.

7.) Dump beam turrets. They're awful. Very little damage for the power draw and you have very limited power due to the low grade distributor.

8.) Upgrade distributor as high as you can afford ASAP.

9.) Get yourself 4x fixed/gimbaled pulse lasers. You really won't need anything else for a long time, offensively.

10.) For utility mounts, something like 2x A0 boosters, 2x chaff and 1x heat sink will do.

11.) Thrusters - Get D thrusters until you can afford A thrusters. Always do this. D thrusters are the lightest, offsetting the strength and weight of C's. Always go D --> A for thrusters.

Good post. That is great advice even if its not for the FDL. I do pretty much the same thing.

SmartBase

Was about to buy the lifetime pass to support Frontier but judging by their latest financial report they're doing quite fine without my contribution.

I hope the Corvette has a more sophisticated cockpit compared to the other Federal ships as well as shields worth a damn. No idea why they push armour tanking when it's so expensive to repair vs. just refilling SCBs.

Was about to buy the lifetime pass to support Frontier but judging by their latest financial report they're doing quite fine without my contribution.

I hope the Corvette has a more sophisticated cockpit compared to the other Federal ships as well as shields worth a damn. No idea why they push armour tanking when it's so expensive to repair vs. just refilling SCBs.

To be honest, the game needs more money sinks. Everyone will be billionaires sooner or later if the game keeps going as it is.

Apparently there was a typo/mistake in the Newsletter, and the Corvette's hardpoints are actually 2 small, 2 medium, 1 large and 2 huge.

Wow, talk about a bigass typo. Yes, it's still the king of alpha damage with a pair of huge PA's, but everything else is kinda meh now. Looking at that, i'd like to know what kind of distributor it will have. If it has a new class level of distributor (and I think it needs to with 2x C4's):

2x C4 PA's
1x C3 F/G Beam
2x C2 F/G Beams
2x C1 Rails/Missile Launchers

Make no mistake: A ship with that hardpoint setup is designed for PvP almost exclusively. You won't want to use dual PA's for NPC farming. It's just overkill and a waste of money every time they're fired at NPCs. Further, buying this ship and NOT using C4's in the C4 hardpoints is just a waste of your time. Get an Anaconda if you're not going to use C4's. Running C3's only, the Corvette can only run 3x C3's compared to the Anaconda's 4x C3's. For NPC farming specifically, that's a big damn difference.

Hmmm...yep, this ship only beats an Anaconda in offensive firepower if you're running 2x C4's. Otherwise, it is objectively inferior secondary to only having 1x C3 compared to the Anaconda's 3x C3's. Only potential caveat is if this ship does in deed have a higher class of distributor, making a heavier beam build more viable than it currently is on the Anaconda.

But yea, this is the FdL of big ships: built for PvP, not the best choice for NPC farming. Any ship that gets hit with dual Plasma Accelerator shots is going to lose its shield and a good part of its hull in one shot, so you can fly one of these and rest fairly assured that nobody outside of a wing of 4 will interdict you. BUT!...Taking this ship to a RES site with your huges tied up in C4's means you're basically limited to the 1 large, 2 mediums and 2 smalls when farming for long durations...in which case the ship is inferior in useful damage output to an FdL and only slightly better than a Clipper. Ship seems to have a singular purpose: to drop your shields.

Alternate build?

1x C3 Gimbaled Beam
2x C2 Missile Launchers
2x C1 Gimbaled Beams (or Missile Launchers!)

In such a scenario, you rely on the PA's and alpha damage from beam(s) to drop shields, then you unleash your missiles upon their unprotected hull. I really hope it's turn speeds are good enough to not need turrets. But if it does, I'd make those gimbaled beams in that build turrets and that'd be fine. Just makes hitting those C4 shots on big targets more important.

SmartBase

To be honest, the game needs more money sinks. Everyone will be billionaires sooner or later if the game keeps going as it is.

The game would need an armour/internal damage overhaul first, and money sinks for traders too.

The way the Fed ships are right now they focus on armour tanking and it just isn't worth it in any way, unless you like playing Russian roulette with your internals and any aggressors.

Hylian7

I think Horizons will definitely alleviate that to some degree, with buying the land vehicles and stuff to upgrade those will be something that will change things.

Otherwise, yeah, the main money sink right now is just more ships and outfitting for said ships. I'm trying to decide right now if that Federal Corvette or the Anaconda is my next goal. I really hope they have a way to send ships to other stations without you having to do it manually. Owning an Vulture, FDL, and Diamondback Explorer, I've probably bought so many Haulers stripped down to jump far within the last week to move the ships.

DrBo42

Apparently there was a typo/mistake in the Newsletter, and the Corvette's hardpoints are actually 2 small, 2 medium, 1 large and 2 huge.

Well that's a huge letdown. I kinda hate huge hardpoints, plasma acc rounds are really easy to dodge. Is there really no huge torpedo round yet?

Jedi2016

Somebody needs to tell me where these lucrative RES's are, I was only able to get about half a mil yesterday in about an hour or so. The "high intensity" ones I'm going to are still anything but. On the flip side, my Vulture's pretty much topped out now, finally picked up the Class A power distributor yesterday.

Kinda thinking of buying a trader again.

Hylian7

Somebody needs to tell me where these lucrative RES's are, I was only able to get about half a mil yesterday in about an hour or so. The "high intensity" ones I'm going to are still anything but. On the flip side, my Vulture's pretty much topped out now, finally picked up the Class A power distributor yesterday.

Kinda thinking of buying a trader again.
As dumb as it sounds, basically you have to re-instance it until you get the spawn table you want. Generally this is what I do, and this is easiest done in Solo Play

1. (If you back Lavigny-Duval) Go to a Lavigny-Duval system with RES.
2. Go to the High Intensity RES like normal.
3. Cruise around a bit and look for wanted ships. If the first wanted ship you see isn't a Python, Imperial Clipper, Federal Dropship, or a Vulture, and the ship you see isn't winged up with one of the aforementioned ships, then his Esc, exit to main menu, and then go back into Solo Play.
4. Repeat this process until you see one of those ships as wanted.

Sometimes it might happen where you see something like a Python winged up with two Eagles, and then after you kill them, nothing but Eagles. Just try again if this happens. It is a tedious process and based purely on RNG, but well worth it when you get the spawn table you want. Usually it takes me less than 5 minutes of this to get the spawn table I wanted. There has been only one time where I tried for about an hour and didn't get it, and gave up. Don't forget to Kill Warrant Scan before you kill, and aim for the power plant on the big ships. The power plant bit will change in 1.4, but it still works for now.

Well that's a huge letdown. I kinda hate huge hardpoints, plasma acc rounds are really easy to dodge. Is there really no huge torpedo round yet?

Any ship bigger than a Dropship should be easy money for your Plasma Accelerator. If you're missing Clippers, Pythons, T9's and Anacondas with a PA, you just need to spend some time practicing. They're too big to miss unless you're just out of practice. 2x C4 PA's will still 1-shot the shields off of any large ship. That's a fact. And you'll almost 1-shot the shields and hull of a Dropship, FdL or Vulture. I'd suggest you start practicing now. You'll want to be comfortable with those if you have any interest at all in picking up this ship. otherwise, focus on picking up an Anaconda. It will be the more powerful ship of the two if you don't want to be bothered with feeling married to a C4.

Hylian7

I made a very Fuel Scoop noob mistake and got stranded in a system with no station and unscoopable star. I found about the Fuel Rats, went into their chat and hailed them. One came and gave me enough to get to a system with a station. These guys are amazing!

http://fuelrats.com/

Jedi2016

I made a very Fuel Scoop noob mistake and got stranded in a system with no station and unscoopable star. I found about the Fuel Rats, went into their chat and hailed them. One came and gave me enough to get to a system with a station. These guys are amazing!

http://fuelrats.com/
That's why I usually top off at every system. If I'm making a long series of jumps (usually while exploring), I'll check the galaxy map to find out the class of every system along the route, so I can spot the dry areas ahead of time and make sure I have enough fuel to get through it. Thankfully never happened while I was exploring, five or ten thousand light years out.

A few of my friends have gotten really into this game recently and I've watched enough gameplay to be sold. I'll probably pick it up after work today, but was wondering what everyones thoughts were on the T-Flight HOTAS X vs M/KB? Is it worth the $40 to get a cheap dedicated flightstick or will mouse and keyboard suit me just fine?

Sarcasm

A few of my friends have gotten really into this game recently and I've watched enough gameplay to be sold. I'll probably pick it up after work today, but was wondering what everyones thoughts were on the T-Flight HOTAS X vs M/KB? Is it worth the $40 to get a cheap dedicated flightstick or will mouse and keyboard suit me just fine?

Been using MKB with voice attack. Custom controls though, which I could share with you. Voice attack is 8 bucks.

HOTAS would allow you to fly without FA on at all times though.

DrBo42

Any ship bigger than a Dropship should be easy money for your Plasma Accelerator. If you're missing Clippers, Pythons, T9's and Anacondas with a PA, you just need to spend some time practicing. They're too big to miss unless you're just out of practice. 2x C4 PA's will still 1-shot the shields off of any large ship. That's a fact. And you'll almost 1-shot the shields and hull of a Dropship, FdL or Vulture. I'd suggest you start practicing now. You'll want to be comfortable with those if you have any interest at all in picking up this ship. otherwise, focus on picking up an Anaconda. It will be the more powerful ship of the two if you don't want to be bothered with feeling married to a C4.

Was talking more about its use in pvp. If you know someone has a PA onboard it's not very useful against someone that can fly. Unless you're fighting a T9 or conda. Just wish we had more options for the huge hardpoints.

Shifty76

Yes absolutely.

I went from kb/m to T16000m & G13 to HOTAS X and each step up was better than the last.

Hylian7

Been using MKB with voice attack. Custom controls though, which I could share with you. Voice attack is 8 bucks.

HOTAS would allow you to fly without FA on at all times though.

Do people actually do this? I mean I'm sure it's possible, just unsure if it's practical since you have to make so many extra inputs for what should be a simple manuever. I just toggle it as necessary.

Burny

I've played it with both, a HOTAS and mouse + keyboard. It's playable with mouse + keyboard and I believe it might even be not that far below a HOTAS setup in PVP, if you have a gaming mouse with lots of extra keys beyond the left and right button.

Recently having tried a little bit of CQC with a mouse and keyboard however (HTPC stuff, so no gaming gear, hence lack additional mouse buttons), I'd say spend the cash on a HOTAS. You get much better fine control over your ship, have all critical functions at the tip of your fingers, meaning all targeting functions, defense measures, weapon groupings and it simply feels a lot better for manoevering.

After not being that happy with my Saitek X52 Pro though, I'd say either go for a HOTAS well below that price point or go all in. The only cheap option that seems to get really recommended a lot is the HOTAS X. For the more expensive stuff, look at something like the Thrustmaster Warthog or CH Products, as well as pedals.

There is one more pretty important thing and that is head tracking. It makes a huge difference in awareness in all kind of games that force you into a cockpit that limits your view (and support head tracking). TrackIR 5 is the expensive option, while the ED tracker is the cheap, but just as valid option.

Hylian7

You know what needs an improvement in this game? The transactions tab.

Right now I look at my transaction tab and see this:

xcBeDwp.png

Which isn't terrible per se, but can be tedious as all hell to read. It needs a few more things though, namely:

1. A grand total of all vouchers.
2. A total of vouchers claimable in the current system.
3. Sorting vouchers by system they are exclusive (meaning just "Empire" or "Federation" are by themselves) and a total of how much you have from that system.

It's really tedious to look at the way it is right now. Also Alliance systems are hard as hell to find I feel like.

Hey everyone, getting back into Elite after a long break. I've since upgraded my PC and was surprised to find near constant stuttering present in the game.

I've got an i7 4790 and a 980ti - with settings all turned to max and at 1080p, hitches noticeably occur in resource extraction points and at space stations. I wasn't able to closely monitor my fps because it seems to not play nice with overlays (I assume because online?), but even when I turned most settings and resolution down, the stutter remained.

Anyone else run into this issue? I saw mentions of stutter on other forums but wasn't sure if there was a good way to force smooth times outside the game, or if there are a few settings that everyone knows to just turn off.

You know what needs an improvement in this game? The transactions tab.

Right now I look at my transaction tab and see this:

xcBeDwp.png

Which isn't terrible per se, but can be tedious as all hell to read. It needs a few more things though, namely:

1. A grand total of all vouchers.
2. A total of vouchers claimable in the current system.
3. Sorting vouchers by system they are exclusive (meaning just "Empire" or "Federation" are by themselves) and a total of how much you have from that system.

It's really tedious to look at the way it is right now. Also Alliance systems are hard as hell to find I feel like.
Indeed.

I would really like a way to redeem all my vouchers at one place, or at one place per faction. I have maybe a dozen of these, many of which are under $100k. I don't want to make the trip, but I don't plan on dying just to get rid of them either. So it just becomes obnoxious because I can't quickly tell how much I've made at a given RES site quickly.

Hey everyone, getting back into Elite after a long break. I've since upgraded my PC and was surprised to find near constant stuttering present in the game.

I've got an i7 4790 and a 980ti - with settings all turned to max and at 1080p, hitches noticeably occur in resource extraction points and at space stations. I wasn't able to closely monitor my fps because it seems to not play nice with overlays (I assume because online?), but even when I turned most settings and resolution down, the stutter remained.

Anyone else run into this issue? I saw mentions of stutter on other forums but wasn't sure if there was a good way to force smooth times outside the game, or if there are a few settings that everyone knows to just turn off.

I see them very occasionally. Usually when I've just booted into the game or to a location. My system is quite inferior to yours, but most things are maxed out.

Thanks for all the responses guys, I'll order the HOTAS X and hopefully it'll get here around the end of the week (which is probably when I'll pick up the game). Really excited to jump into this game

Nice shot, Pomerlaw!

Article on Horizons--not much new but some hints/interesting info.

More hints about...AI crews, maybe?

"I don't think we're going to end up allowing people to fly capital-ship-scale things," Dowie said. "We want to keep it personal. We want to keep people feeling like they're actually a Commander. Once you get to a ship that scale, it starts to get a little bit more implausible. But we are going to be doing some interesting things in Season Two."

Ships may not be getting much bigger but pilots can still expect meaningful changes to be introduced in Elite Dangerous: Horizons. Neither Frontier employee could/would elaborate but the duo did tease the possibility of bringing co-pilots into the equation. When asked whether or not we might finally see extra chairs being filled, either with AI crew members or other Elite: Dangerous players, Gapper smiled and complimented my "astute observation."

"We're going to make people think about ships in a slightly different way." Dowie promised.

Sounds like the Horizons team has been working for a while:

But the studio is confident the four expansions being released as Elite Dangerous: Horizons will justify their $60 price tag.

"Planetary Landings is an enormous undertaking. We've had people working on that since Day One. And those poor guys have been sat away in the office...no one knew what they were doing...and they finally got their day," Dowie said.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom