• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elite: Dangerous |OT| Every Man's Sky

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pomerlaw

Credits to CMDR KEE. 1 gas giant and 4 terraformable moons with rings around it. A nice find!

ciwi5P2.jpg

Dev update is out!

Continuing the theme of what’s coming next after the CQC Championship update. The big release is Elite Dangerous: Horizons, but we also have the 1.5 “Ships” release for season 1 as well. This is planned for release at the same time as Horizons – the ships will be there for all, both season 1 and season 2, but of course Season 2 players will get a lot more, including Planetary Landings, so there’ll be something for everyone on the same day. This will bring the total to 30 ships (plus the Cobra Mk IV) available in game.

Along with already announced Federal Corvette, the Imperial Gutamaya Shipyards are releasing the Imperial Cutter and the Asp Scout and Viper Mk IV will see their debuts, too. There will more information on these ships in future newsletters.

1.5 is coming out at same time as Horizons. Includes Federal Corvette, Imperial Cutter, Asp Scout, and Viper Mk IV.

A little bummed that two of the ships are refreshed/alt models, but I guess we'll see how they turn out!

Reckheim

Credits to CMDR KEE. 1 gas giant and 4 terraformable moons with rings around it. A nice find!

ciwi5P2.jpg

Man, that's awesome. I started my 3rd exploration expedition (this time going near the center of the universe) this weekend and I love finding unusual things like this.

Hylian7

Dev update is out!

1.5 is coming out at same time as Horizons. Includes Federal Corvette, Imperial Cutter, Asp Scout, and Viper Mk IV.

A little bummed that two of the ships are refreshed/alt models, but I guess we'll see how they turn out!
Federal Corvette makes it all worth it though.

I'm not really familiar with the previous games in the franchise. Is the Imperial Cutter new to Dangerous?

Also this 1.4 beta is really long. Any idea when we might see it get into the main game?

Federal Corvette makes it all worth it though.

I'm not really familiar with the previous games in the franchise. Is the Imperial Cutter new to Dangerous?

Also this 1.4 beta is really long. Any idea when we might see it get into the main game?

I think the Cutter and Corvette are new.

I'd expect 1.4 next week. And I'm glad they're taking their time. I assume they learned their lesson from the PP update which was bug-ridden and probably forced them into working some long hours to fix the messes. Better to take your time with big updates like these, stress test and deploy when it's verified good to go.

Also, we've got some work to do for ADL. She got her ass kicked this week.

lol ranked 5 so really don't need to care, but I still feel like I suddenly have some purpose which should make PP fun this week outside of the usual harvesting of hundreds of millions

Yeah, Cutter is brand new, I believe.

As for the long beta, one of the recent dev updates noted how they are going to start employing longer beta periods as they found it enhances the testing/quality process, which makes sense.

Curious what that Asp Scout will be. Assume it will be more combat-oriented. I already love the look of the Asp--a sleeker looking one would be nice.

Reckheim

Yeah, Cutter is brand new, I believe.

As for the long beta, one of the recent dev updates noted how they are going to start employing longer beta periods as they found it enhances the testing/quality process, which makes sense.

Curious what that Asp Scout will be. Assume it will be more combat-oriented. I already love the look of the Asp--a sleeker looking one would be nice.

Man, that clipper looks fantastic, it also looks huge when you look at how small the cockpit is.

I'm also hoping for a sleeker ASP, my favorite ship in the game. I hope the jump range is decent still tho.

Hylian7

FWIW, it sounds like that's going to be a focus soon--likely within the next 6 months, I'd guess.
I'm surprised it hasn't been done already. At least they should allow big ships with cargo space to carry small ships. This would be separated by which landing pad size they use.

I'm surprised it hasn't been done already. At least they should allow big ships with cargo space to carry small ships. This would be separated by which landing pad size they use.

I posted about this on the other page, but there has been major speculation (and hints from Braden/FD) that this is coming, and soon. X1 trailer shows a Condor launching out of the Anaconda's docking bay, and the Fed Assault Ship also has what looks like a docking bay in the bottom. When asked about it, I think they responded with something akin to "you'll find out soon".

Hylian7

I posted about this on the other page, but there has been major speculation (and hints from Braden/FD) that this is coming, and soon. X1 trailer shows a Condor launching out of the Anaconda's docking bay, and the Fed Assault Ship also has what looks like a docking bay in the bottom. When asked about it, I think they responded with something akin to "you'll find out soon".

Yeah, I remember reading that, but I really hope we can have something more substantial than a Condor. Those things are even more fragile than Eagles and basically shining a couple of laser pointers at them blows them up.

AJLma

Latest Isinona video is fantastic. He fights off a shielded Vulture in a Diamondback Scout with 3 multi cannons and no shields. He's constantly playing this game in ways I had no idea were possible.

Latest Isinona video is fantastic. He fights off a shielded Vulture in a Diamondback Scout with 3 multi cannons and no shields. He's constantly playing this game in ways I had no idea were possible.

Watched that the other day! Fucking fantastic.

Seriously, his video are like watching an actual log of a space pilot. This latest video has inspired me to master* FA-off flight.

*crash and die while attempting

Watched that the other day! Fucking fantastic.

Seriously, his video are like watching an actual log of a space pilot. This latest video has inspired me to master* FA-off flight.

*crash and die while attempting

FA off isn't especially difficult and generally makes things much easier in combat. you never end up in stupid turning battles and you can more readily keep your guns pointed where they need to be pointed while the enemy struggles to keep up. I sent the training videos to Hylian. dunno if he watched them,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JWrvKoUJOEw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=69R_4ufsNYU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VLYOHn6aLpQ

-----

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=txuKOhsAbsk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HhCXvyI3HSA

It'll take a few days to get used to. I'd suggest practicing around space stations, then around asteroids, then in conflict zones. Less work, more effective positioning, better killing potential.

At minimum, everyone should be doing FA off to reposition and reverse flight to maintain a firing solution. All of my combat is FA off these days.

Thanks, Dreams! I'll watch those this weekend, for sure. I use FA-off a lot to reposition during combat, but that doesn't feel good enough anymore :p

I'll use FA all the time for quick turns in combat but I am absolutely helpless with it when trying to line up shots. The hardest part for me is the yaw control with the keyboard--can never seem to get it right.

Burny

I'll use FA all the time for quick turns in combat but I am absolutely helpless with it when trying to line up shots. The hardest part for me is the yaw control with the keyboard--can never seem to get it right.

Apart from FA off with a mouse and keyboard being extremely hard imo, as you lack analogue control on all axis, you're doing something wrong if you've mapped yaw to keyboard keys.

Yaw is absolutely necessary for aiming. It's not something you want on the keyboard keys only offering digital input, but rather on your mouse's x-axis. Rolling on the other hand can be mapped to keys, because precision is not nearly as critical there as for yawing.

I absolutely can't wrap my head around Elite's keyboard/mouse default config, which maps rolling to x-axis movements of the mouse.

Apart from FA off with a mouse and keyboard being extremely hard imo, as you lack analogue control on all axis, you're doing something wrong if you've mapped yaw to keyboard keys.

Yaw is absolutely necessary for aiming. It's not something you want on the keyboard keys only offering digital input, but rather on your mouse's x-axis. Rolling on the other hand can be mapped to keys, because precision is not nearly as critical there as for yawing.

I absolutely can't wrap my head around Elite's keyboard/mouse default config, which maps rolling to x-axis movements of the mouse.

I don't know, it feels totally natural to me for FA-on. Wouldn't it be harder to stop roll with digital inputs as well? The rotational acceleration is a lot higher for roll than it is yaw.

Burny

I don't know, it feels totally natural to me for FA-on. Wouldn't it be harder to stop roll with digital inputs as well? The rotational acceleration is a lot higher for roll than it is yaw.

Which is why I won't be attempting all FA off flying with keyboard and mouse anytime soon. A HOTAS just feels so much more natural and I hope pedals will improve this further. So that'll be what I'm going for if Icm to ever attempt it.

Maybe I'm also too fixated on normal mouse controls, but mapping roll to the lateral mouse movements drove me mad, whereas I could instantly handle ship controls much more naturally after I mapped yawing to it.

As for stopping rolling during FA off with keys, I don't think it'll be that much harder than with the mouse. Rather it's not nearly as critical for aiming when you're slightly imprecise with rolling than with yawing. Not that I want to attempt either that way, when the issue can be solved with a HOTAS, which provides natural feeling analogue input for all the axis.

I almost never yaw to aim. Pretty rare in my case.

I use it a lot to dock and things like that but not really in combat.
How do you aim with fixed weapons or semi fixes ones in CQC's case? Do you just manage to roll and pitch into the correct shooting position? If so, you've certainly mastered the ship controls a whole lot better than me. ^^
I need to be constantly yawing to keep the aim on a moving target.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel

Wow, that was a damn intense video. Isinona's videos are always entertaining but that one was one of his best IMHO. I love the way he flies.

Wreav

Banned
So I'm starting to think that my "crash during keybind" issue is more Win 10 related than Saitek driver related. Oh how I wish I'd saved off my keybinds before upgrading to Win 10, as the stick works fine in game.

The mayhem begins ...

https://community.elitedangerous.com/node/290

looks like lots of fun stuff coming up.

Nice, although it's pretty funny that we're supposed to send X1 screens/video and you still can't share them from Upload. Maybe they'll release a patch next week?

Wow, that was a damn intense video. Isinona's videos are always entertaining but that one was one of his best IMHO. I love the way he flies.

I'm shocked he was able to go toe-to-toe. Maybe the Vulture wasn't using gimballed anything and had trouble lining up his shots? It looked like Isinona had a serious shot at taking out the Vulture near the end.

Newsletter #91 is out. Sneak peak at zzzzzzzzzzzzzz (Corvette cockpit)

Brighter:

4eSyUIg.jpg

Burny

Oh, I'll be so happy if they manage implement the first person walking in ships, stations and on planets. Even if they'll only manage some Counter Strike like (janky) movement rather than the full body simulation Star Citizen is aiming for. I imagine it would add just so much flair. ^^

Hylian7

Oh, I'll be so happy if they manage implement the first person walking in ships, stations and on planets. Even if they'll only manage some Counter Strike like (janky) movement rather than the full body simulation Star Citizen is aiming for. I imagine it would add just so much flair. ^^

Honestly, all I really care about is just walking around in the cockpits. I don't care if there is never any kind of "FPS" module or whatever all the stuff Star Citizen is getting. Elite is about space stuff to me. Planetary landings will be cool and all, but the focus will still be on the ships (and to a lesser extent, the ground vehicles). Walking around in the FDL or Federal Corvette's cockpit to get different views would be amazing. Hell even something to let your chair move around the cockpit would be awesome!

tbh i'd rather not walk around the ship just for the sake of being able to do it. that sounds like something that would take them a ton of time to do and would only interested me for about an hour, lifetime.

if they can think of a *reason* to do it that would make it worth all the time that would be invested, sure. but it'd have to be more than just walking around. boarding other ships? fps fighting on ships? maybe if some of those sensor panels around the ship actually activate if you're sitting in those chairs near them? maybe a planetary scanning console elsewhere that you have to get up and walk to? stuff like that? I'd be down for that. Just need a *reason*.

DrBo42

tbh i'd rather not walk around the ship just for the sake of being able to do it. that sounds like something that would take them a ton of time to do and would only interested me for about an hour, lifetime.

if they can think of a *reason* to do it that would make it worth all the time that would be invested, sure. but it'd have to be more than just walking around. boarding other ships? fps fighting on ships? maybe if some of those sensor panels around the ship actually activate if you're sitting in those chairs near them? maybe a planetary scanning console elsewhere that you have to get up and walk to? stuff like that? I'd be down for that. Just need a *reason*.

I'd love if walking around came with EVAs for repairing catastrophic damage like the cockpit glass etc. Doing a spacewalk on the hull of your ship and doing repairs would really bring the sense of scale home.

Hylian7

If they introduced having multiple people in the same ship and walking around in the same update, that would definitely be a purpose. Crewman would have to walk around to deal with things at different control panels, or even different areas of the bigger ships. I could really see this coming into play if for instance, on an Anaconda you could have crewman aim the turrets, which would somehow have a bigger advantage over leaving them to autotarget. Maybe not getting screwed up by Chaff?

Burny

They sound like they do have some ideas. Some you mention are even hinted at. Repelling boarders, repairing toxic waste spillages... Part of the things they're mentioning we will be getting in Horizons. So I'm hopeful.

Pomerlaw

How do you aim with fixed weapons or semi fixes ones in CQC's case? Do you just manage to roll and pitch into the correct shooting position? If so, you've certainly mastered the ship controls a whole lot better than me. ^^
I need to be constantly yawing to keep the aim on a moving target.

Haven't tried CQC yet. :)

Burny

I hope you don't mind my little disclaimer. ;) I really wouldn't want any new players to feel screwed over simply because they weren't aware of the pricing structure Frontier is adopting. (Yay! When did I become a momeber? ^^)

brentech

sucks that I can't get my DS4 working in this on Windows 10. Luckily I still have an old wired 360 controller, but I hate using it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom