• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elite: Dangerous |OT| Every Man's Sky

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh god yes. S2 looks like its gonna deliver big.

pN1ho3w.jpg

2zhNLkq.jpg

aJOExdk.jpg

Yeah, gotta be dust.

I'm actually going to create a new thread for the announcements once I get the info compiled. Until then...more S2 screens (stolen from Reddit):

Horizons concept art:

Buggy cockpit:
P4IZ0JJ.png

Viper Mk. IV--awesome that this isn't a simple model update!

EDIT: Newsletter is out!

967f1e58-af10-49e3-9e6c-322f1ef9d422.jpg

b21c95f0-f93a-4eaf-8006-f26076bf895b.jpg

a0073709-b713-403d-ae7a-fe914cbeabc4.jpg

dfba95da-d3a8-473c-b23f-07fc8a4175c7.jpg

e59764e4-ac7b-4824-9fba-bf384fc051d6.jpg

Gotta admit, I was not expecting the character models to look this good.

Peek of the Week is EGX info:

Peek Of The Week: EGX Special

Today we took to the stage at EGX 2015 to announce some of the standout features you’ll get as part of the Elite Dangerous: Horizons season of expansions.

You’ve probably already seen the brief teaser trailer we debuted at Gamescom giving an all-too-brief glimpse of Planetary Landings – we’ll be showing much, much more of it in the coming weeks!

Planetary Landings itself is just the first part of the full season of Elite Dangerous: Horizons expansions.

If you missed us at EGX you can watch the archived stream at EGX's YouTube channel, We hope you enjoy this peek ahead at some of the season’s exclusive features.

On planetary and lunar surfaces you'll find new activities, new enemies and whole new ways to experience Elite Dangerous.

Real 1:1 scale worlds of staggering variety and beauty offer endless new gameplay possibilities.

Ship-Launched Fighters can be docked in your ship's hold to give you a far greater range of options to tackle any situation in which you find yourself. Deploy your fighter under AI control or take the stick yourself and fly into battle while your mothership lies in wait.

Multi-Crew lets you fly in the same ship with friends, which will up the intensity and camaraderie levels of a joint mission even further! You’ll be able to share and alternate control of weapons systems, turrets and flight duties to multiply your effectiveness. Even to the extent of piloting a ship-launched fighter and working in combination with the mothership. It’ll be especially useful in some of the very large trading ships coming in season two.

The all-new Commander Creator brings your in-game presence to life for the first time, and lets you identify friends with a quick glance across your ship's bridge. Its the first step in the longer term plans we have for you, Commander…

There are features that are trickier to illustrate but still very significant, like the extensions to the mission system with new military missions and rank progression, Powerplay missions and chained missions which will deliver an even richer gameplay experience. And as already announced, season two will introduce a new loot and crafting system, letting you create unique equipment.

And there's more to come later this year for all players. The launch of the CQC expansion is just a few weeks away, and the ‘Ships’ expansion (Elite Dangerous 1.5) later this year will introduce a number of new spacecraft to the galaxy, including the awesome new Viper Mk IV.

We're happy to announce that, as promised, every player who backed our original Kickstarter at Beta level or above will find a Viper Mk IV docked at a starport for free in ‘Ships’.

The Viper Mk IV
Planetary Landings, Multi-Crew, Ship-Launched Fighters, the Commander Creator, new missions, and a new loot and crafting system are just some of the headline features you’ll find in Elite Dangerous: Horizons new season of expansions. We’re looking forward to having you join us when Elite Dangerous: Horizons lands later this yea

Working on the thread now!

I'm more excited for that commander creator than I probably should be. In my mind if fleshes out so much having some humanity more front and center even if you won't be seeing your own outside of menus or debug camera.

Burny

Yeah, excited for the character creator as well. :) The samples they showed looked all like reasonably realistic and recognizable faces, so I have high hopes. If they also get the hair right... ^^

The faces alone will add a ton of characterisation to the game, even if they're only cosmetic. Anybody remember the radio talk with animated faces from Wing Commander 3? Wouldn't that be great for the ingame wing chat? ;)

Effect

How is the Cobra Mk IV you get when you preorder Horizons as an existing player work? Is it something we will always have even if destroyed? Meaning you could select it the way you can the sidewinder if your ship gets destroyed and you don't want to pay to get it back? Or is it just free the one time?

How is the Cobra Mk IV you get when you preorder Horizons as an existing player work? Is it something we will always have even if destroyed? Meaning you could select it the way you can the sidewinder if your ship gets destroyed and you don't want to pay to get it back? Or is it just free the one time?

Probably just one free version, I'd think.

DrBo42

Newsletter 92 is worth a look as well.

I really hope the mission system gets interesting with the coming changes.

That would be something to get excited for. Insane how stagnant the missions have been even after they reworked it. How do we STILL not have anything like that distress call wing trailer?

Anyway, I sure hope you can stow something in a fighter bay bigger than the Condor etc like an Eagle. If it's just a Condor or similar size ship it's next to worthless in PvP. Hopefully with the upcoming changes and crafting you can further customize the ship enabling an Anaconda to carry something bigger while sacrificing the space for some internal modules or something.

Should really just go nuts and let people transform their ship into what role they desire, similar to what was done with the Millennium Falcon. Although now that they're pushing these alternate ship variants that's looking less and less likely. Very poor decision IMO.

I don't think that Wings trailer was showing a distress beacon. It was just showing how you can drop into a friend if they use the Wing Beacon, which is all in-game.

I agree, though--distress beacons could be critical, especially given groups like Fuel Rats.

The mission overhaul sounds very promising--hope it doesn't disappoint.

DrBo42

I don't think that Wings trailer was showing a distress beacon. It was just showing how you can drop into a friend if they use the Wing Beacon, which is all in-game.

I agree, though--distress beacons could be critical, especially given groups like Fuel Rats.

The mission overhaul sounds very promising--hope it doesn't disappoint.

No, no, I'm talking about this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VE8B4KptyVI

Obviously not the voice acted bits etc but the simple act of receiving a system wide distress call or beacon to some sort of high difficulty event etc. I just don't understand how that's not in the game 9 months later.

No, no, I'm talking about this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VE8B4KptyVI

Obviously not the voice acted bits etc but the simple act of receiving a system wide distress call or beacon to some sort of high difficulty event etc. I just don't understand how that's not in the game 9 months later.

Oooh, I see--my bad. You're totally right.

It's especially puzzling, given that the infrastructure is partly there via the Wing beacon.

Maybe it has to do with instancing? I know people had (have?) trouble dropping in on their Wings sometimes.

Unrelated--quite an interesting job posting from FD (via Reddit):

Bc2PwFx.png

i love this game. I look forward to seeing what the 2nd, 3rd and 4th commanders on a big ship will be able to do at their stations.

And I really look forward to looting in my buggy. I just hope it's deeper and more rewarding than driving around planets in the original Mass Effect. Remember that sorry shit? I have bad memories from those days and sadly it would not especially surprise me if EDs landing and planet traversal wasn't very similar.

DrBo42

Oooh, I see--my bad. You're totally right.

It's especially puzzling, given that the infrastructure is partly there via the Wing beacon.

Maybe it has to do with instancing? I know people had (have?) trouble dropping in on their Wings sometimes.

Unrelated--quite an interesting job posting from FD (via Reddit):

Bc2PwFx.png

If that means giving mission givers life, I'm all for it. Needs some serious strides making it a human experience or making settled space actually feel lived in. It'll most likely be for those new military missions and powerplay missions.

i love this game. I look forward to seeing what the 2nd, 3rd and 4th commanders on a big ship will be able to do at their stations.

And I really look forward to looting in my buggy. I just hope it's deeper and more rewarding than driving around planets in the original Mass Effect. Remember that sorry shit? I have bad memories from those days and sadly it would not especially surprise me if EDs landing and planet traversal wasn't very similar.

I'm struggling to imagine what the 3rd or 4th crew remember would be doing on the ship. I mean sure, if you start to base it on imagination and multi-crew from fiction you can fill the roles like a Scotty managing engineering/modules and someone managing shield direction/intensity. Within the game we have now though? I can't really see it.

Edit: Would be cool if they overhauled the reboot/repair function when in multi-crew so a person manually doing it is choosing which modules to cannibalize for others. Displaying certain modules lending themselves more to repair of X other module. Could also have a certain shutdown/power up cycle vary per setup and ship kinda like the DCS series how an A-10's startup sequence is completely different from a chopper etc. Could make for players that have expertise running engineering for an Anaconda way different from that of a Clipper and as a result actual commodities on forums. Obviously the automated function would still remain but take far longer than a skilled player engineer. I dunno, think that would be neat. But nearly every interesting thing I can think of for people to do would have to be added.

As for actual buggy gameplay I suspect it won't be super compelling at launch. They will be extremely empty worlds as realistically, they should be.

Burny

I'm struggling to imagine what the 3rd or 4th crew remember would be doing on the ship. I mean sure, if you start to base it on imagination and multi-crew from fiction you can fill the roles like a Scotty managing engineering/modules and someone managing shield direction/intensity. Within the game we have now though? I can't really see it.

When they talked about multi crew in the EGX interview, they said that they aren't even sure how many members they will allow to work in a mutli-crew. The things mentioned specifically were turret control and manning the small carried fighter. Aside from that, they mostly talked about broad concepts, so the design is probably still being fleshed out.

DrBo42

When they talked about multi crew in the EGX interview, they said that they aren't even sure how many members they will allow to work in a mutli-crew. The things mentioned specifically were turret control and manning the small carried fighter. Aside from that, they mostly talked about broad concepts, so the design is probably still being fleshed out.

Yeah I saw it. Was just responding to dreams hypothetical 3rd and 4th. You could see they're also struggling/in infancy of thinking of what 3 and 4 would do, beyond maybe a 3rd guy jumping in a shite fighter that'll die in seconds. Hah.

Hylian7

FYI for those that are into bounty hunting: There's a Community Goal event in Amitrite, which to me is pretty close to systems I usually bounty hunt in. There's High Intensity, Low Intensity, and regular RES there. Re-instance the High Intensity until you see the ships you want (Pythons, Clippers, Dropships, maybe Vultures), make mad bank.

Qasiel

FYI for those that are into bounty hunting: There's a Community Goal event in Amitrite, which to me is pretty close to systems I usually bounty hunt in. There's High Intensity, Low Intensity, and regular RES there. Re-instance the High Intensity until you see the ships you want (Pythons, Clippers, Dropships, maybe Vultures), make mad bank.

How long is the event, Hylian? I'm stuck at work until 8pm (UK time) but will be spending the majority of the night on ED tonight and fancy blowing some ships up.

Gothos

Still wish they offered some kind of demo/trial. I would love to try how this plays with mouse or X360 gamepad but I definetely won't spend 50$ to find out :(

I fell off playing this game at launch after I felt like I running the same missions and had a very limited choice of ships and stuff to do. Have they added much to the game over the updates? Would it be worth trying it again?

There is a demo, the tutorial missions are available to all for free.

I fell off playing this game at launch after I felt like I running the same missions and had a very limited choice of ships and stuff to do. Have they added much to the game over the updates? Would it be worth trying it again?

They've added a lot however the mission structure still needs work. Missions are still not the focus for most people at this point though they do seem determined to flesh out that aspect when the Horizon expansion is released. The main activities that players do focus on are bounty hunting, trading, pirating, exploring and mining. The current structure forces a lot of grinding still to make "progress" which is typically measured by the ship you own. They've added a lot of ships. The CQC match based multiplayer mode is being released in a few weeks. It's a new mode that has typical PvP modes like capture the flag that you can just jump into without the penalties of the open galaxy. You can play with wings of friends now, which allows you to profit share and travel together easier in groups. They've also added Power Play, which is a galaxy faction feature that allows you to rank up within a faction for rewards and to impact their influence on the inhabited galaxy. I haven't spent much time with Power Play but it's my understanding that it isn't particularly well implemented right now.

Personally, I love the game, even in it's current state but if you were burned out early, the Horizon's expansion may be the best time to jump back in.

Like Wreav said, you might as well wait. 1.4 is adding CQC and a few new ships, but 1.5 (the "ships" release, which bumps the ship count to 31--there is little over 20 now) and 2.0/Horizons are releasing simultaneously in Nov/Dec. Sounds like that's exactly what you would want.

What?! And how can I get access to them?

Before E:D released last year, if you preordered, you got access to the training missions. However, I don't know if there's any way to do that...on PC.

On Xbox One, you can download a 1 hour trial that is limited to the missions. If you have an X1, seems perfect for you. The X1 controller works pretty well.

What?! And how can I get access to them?

Hmmm... I thought the Elite Dangerous client was available to the public to download, but I can't find any public download source. The game requires an account with credentials so the client by itself isn't enough to play the full game. When you launch the client without logging in there is a Play Demo button that is available.

My guess would be a very thin ring backlit by a star occluded by the planet. Pretty impressive shot, though, can't say I've got any quite like that.

Bingo.

I paid a visit to the Bug Nebula recently; it's rather pretty in there.

Also found a gas giant with absolutely massive rings, spanning a diameter of nearly 2.5 million kilometers! Two of its moons orbit inside the rings, having cut a large swath between the inner and outer ones. Pretty neat; only the second planet I've come across out of thousands and thousands to have moons inside its rings:

During my trip, I developed an interest in ovoid bodies--those the game generates that are spinning so fast on their axes as to give them a noticeable equatorial bulge. It turns out the game even renders them this way on the system map. I lost count of the number of gas giants I found like this, but here are a few of the much rarer solid planets exhibiting this quality. Ovum Spatii... eggs of space:

Procedural generation is indeed just fine.

Reckheim

Bingo.

During my trip, I developed an interest in ovoid bodies--those the game generates that are spinning so fast on their axes as to give them a noticeable equatorial bulge. It turns out the game even renders them this way on the system map. I lost count of the number of gas giants I found like this, but here are a few of the much rarer solid planets exhibiting this quality. Ovum Spatii... eggs of space:

Procedural generation is indeed just fine.

oo man, thats awesome, never noticed that. gonna keep my eye out as well.

is it in...ADL space?

5PgeuoX.gif

I just ran into an annoying glitch I hadn't run into before. I was leaving a RES but every time I entered super cruise it just dropped right back out with the too close message. I was flying way from the ring no matter what I did, it would immediately drop back out. I was forced to go into hyperspace to another system and then jump back.

DrSlek

So I've been playing other games for a couple of months. I come back in and there's this powerplay feature I'm unfamiliar with.
Over the last 2 days I pledged my support to Aisling Duval, and made a couple of million credits from slave smuggling. I've bought myself a Lakon type-6, equipped it for mining, but now I don't know what to do. Mining is slow and boring. Should I stick with vastly more profitable smuggling? Should I start trading goods? Should I start using some of these powerplay features? What's the best course of action here?

Which station do you accept this mission at?

Edit:

Nevermind, it's apparently over.

So I've been playing other games for a couple of months. I come back in and there's this powerplay feature I'm unfamiliar with.
Over the last 2 days I pledged my support to Aisling Duval, and made a couple of million credits from slave smuggling. I've bought myself a Lakon type-6, equipped it for mining, but now I don't know what to do. Mining is slow and boring. Should I stick with vastly more profitable smuggling? Should I start trading goods? Should I start using some of these powerplay features? What's the best course of action here?

why pledge to ADL if you want to specialize in slave trade? I think Torval would be a better match since she gives a trade bonus.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom