• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elite: Dangerous |OT| Every Man's Sky

Status
Not open for further replies.

SmartBase

Is there any information on whether stations, planets and moons will have more orbital inclinations? I've yet to land at a station that wasn't parallel to a planet's rings.

Burny

Wonder how it actually works. You need to drop from super cruise into normal space or orbital cruise just for the simple necessity of an instance. There's a break somewhere, just not sure where it is. Still not convinced it'll be seamless until I see it.

Yeah, I asked about that and DB answered the question in the FAQ, but wasn't sure about the details himselves. He confirmed though, that there is some form of instancing on the surface, so there is at least one further instancing step from supercruise to orbital cruise to ground level.

How that works remains to be seen though. Maybe it will appear to be very seemless. They've shown seemless sooom from ground level to the orbit in their sneek peeks after all. Can't be long until we will see it for ourselves though.

It's remarkable that they have never shown an ingame approach to a planet from supercruise though. Intrigued how that'll look.

DrBo42

Yeah, I asked about that and DB answered the question in the FAQ, but wasn't sure about the details himselves. He confirmed though, that there is some form of instancing on the surface, so there is at least one further instancing step from supercruise to orbital cruise to ground level.

How that works remains to be seen though. Maybe it will appear to be very seemless. They've shown seemless sooom from ground level to the orbit in their sneek peeks after all. Can't be long until we will see it for ourselves though.

It's remarkable that they have never shown an ingame approach to a planet from supercruise though. Intrigued how that'll look.

There has to be a break between supercruise and their orbital cruise or whatever they decide to call it. Maybe they're just saying the approach -> landing is seamless.

Burny

There has to be a break between supercruise and their orbital cruise or whatever they decide to call it. Maybe they're just saying the approach -> landing is seamless.

Yes, this is what was implied all the time I think and what I gathered based on their descriptions. Considering the instanced and peer2peer nature of the game compared to something like Battlescape, which runs on a dedicated server, it's also the only solution that seems realistic. The question is whether there is a further instancing between orbital cruise.

One thing they also said though, was that settlements on the surface are not instanced Which raises the question what will be instanced on the surface and how.

Staab

Which raises the question what will be instanced on the surface and how.
Could it simply be the space between the actual planetary ground and space ?
Like it's seamless but, like for supercruise you enter a specific mode that propels you into this "atmospheric entry" phase that is instanced and lasts for a couple of seconds until you reach a low enough height to seamlessly enter on the ground.

Serrato

So I came up with a new idea of something I'd like to try.

Every week I'm generally taking one night to haul the 5000 power commodity for ALD to get the easy Rating 5 for the next week. I'm in an Anaconda, but this is a fairly repetitive task of getting cargo, take it somewhere, drop it off, go back to Kamadhenu (ALD headquarters), get more cargo, take it somewhere, rinse, repeat until I hit 10k merits. I have an Anaconda, and can take 450T worth of cargo per run.

My idea is to make a podcast out of this. I'm unsure of a name for it, so far my ideas are "Trucker Talk" and "Anaconda Address". Those aren't great, but I will be coming up with more. The idea is to record my game while I'm doing this, and have a list of topics to discuss before I start the podcast. I imagine the first episode or so will be me solo, but in the future I'd like to do it winged up with people, and in the further future when we are allowed to have multi-man crew ships, do it with more than one person in my Anaconda (or whatever ship I am using, hopefully eventually a Cutter).

The podcast would mostly be about Elite, but doesn't necessarily have to be. It will probably mostly stick to gaming in general, but there's no reason it can't branch out beyond that. The plan would be to have the video version of this up on YouTube, as well as an audio-only version of it on Soundcloud, iTunes, etc.

Anyway, what do you guys think of this idea? Would anyone be willing to be guests on this?

Sure, why not!

Jedi2016

Is there any information on whether stations, planets and moons will have more orbital inclinations? I've yet to land at a station that wasn't parallel to a planet's rings.
I've come across one, but of course I can't remember where. You could see the rings from the mail slot.

Hm. Going through my screenshots, looks like Dahan Station is outside the rings, but that screenshot was from way back in beta, it might have moved since then.

SmartBase

I've come across one, but of course I can't remember where. You could see the rings from the mail slot.

Hm. Going through my screenshots, looks like Dahan Station is outside the rings, but that screenshot was from way back in beta, it might have moved since then.

There was one in one of the beautiful places in Elite videos (or whatever they're called).

From ObsidianAnt right? Great video. It's still a missed opportunity for them to show off some of the prettier parts of the game if it's that hard to find destinations with eccentric orbits, not to mention unrealistic in the case of moons.

So I came up with a new idea of something I'd like to try.

Every week I'm generally taking one night to haul the 5000 power commodity for ALD to get the easy Rating 5 for the next week. I'm in an Anaconda, but this is a fairly repetitive task of getting cargo, take it somewhere, drop it off, go back to Kamadhenu (ALD headquarters), get more cargo, take it somewhere, rinse, repeat until I hit 10k merits. I have an Anaconda, and can take 450T worth of cargo per run.

My idea is to make a podcast out of this. I'm unsure of a name for it, so far my ideas are "Trucker Talk" and "Anaconda Address". Those aren't great, but I will be coming up with more. The idea is to record my game while I'm doing this, and have a list of topics to discuss before I start the podcast. I imagine the first episode or so will be me solo, but in the future I'd like to do it winged up with people, and in the further future when we are allowed to have multi-man crew ships, do it with more than one person in my Anaconda (or whatever ship I am using, hopefully eventually a Cutter).

The podcast would mostly be about Elite, but doesn't necessarily have to be. It will probably mostly stick to gaming in general, but there's no reason it can't branch out beyond that. The plan would be to have the video version of this up on YouTube, as well as an audio-only version of it on Soundcloud, iTunes, etc.

Anyway, what do you guys think of this idea? Would anyone be willing to be guests on this?

sure bro. also, note: you don't have to get commodities from the home system. Any control system will do.

2.0 Beta confirmed for the 30th of November https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php?t=202753

Sorry guys :(

fuckin rekt.
sad.gif

TheTrain

It has already been taken, prior to 1.5.

1.5 Beta and 2.0 Beta will be playing in the same worlds - though we want to encourage 2.0 people to restart (don't worry - it won't affect your main game save), as we have a new on-the-surface start position.

(Oops - I think I just made an announcement...! )

Braben ^

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Well that's disappointing. I only own the Mercenary Edition so I can't play any betas anyway but I was looking very forward to reading other people's beta impressions and videos!

Welp, to help all of you with your pain, here are a few more nebula shots I took over the past few nights, all fairly "local" to the civilized bubble.

Here is the Eskimo Nebula, only a bit over 1000LY from Sol. Very colorful, especially from the inside. Also has a nice black hole at it's center!

Next I flew over to the Hind Nebula, a small single system nebula but very pretty in an orange and red kind of way.

On my way to the next nebula I came across a system with no less than THREE Earth Like Worlds orbiting each other. It wasn't a first discovery of course, not this close to SOL, but it was still a cool find.

The next nebula was one I've wanted to see for awhile, the LBN 623 Nebula, a very dark purple stellar formation that was very sweet to fly around.

Afterwards I just headed UP about as far as I could jump. Surprisingly most systems up above the bubble seem to already be discovered, but it was still pretty cool to see the galactic plane beneath me. The galaxy takes on an almost soupy or foggy nature when most of it is below you, very awesome.

Burny

There's finally a detail on the supercruise/orbital cruise/surface transition.

David Braben said:
The transition from supercruise to orbital cruise is seamless - you just see the altimeter and flight ladder appear. When you drop from orbital cruise to normal flight there is a short transition, as with dropping from supercruise.

Frankly, I'm a tiny bit disappointed with that news. I had hoped the transition would be between supercruise and orbital cruise only and had hoped that the approach from orbit to surface would've been seemless. Although I had suspected that instancing for ground level POIs had to come into play at some point. :p a planet's surface with up to 5(or was it 3?) times Earth's radius is a pretty large playground for one instance...

Hylian7

I can't say I'm really surprised with the beta delay. They also said both 1.5 and 2.0 beta will run in the same world, so I guess that means we still have a while before the FDL buff gets into the main game. :(

Burny

Congrats! The Crosswind pedals are supposed to be the best you can buy. I'm thoroughly happy with my CH pedals, but if I had the will to spend the cash I'd have some Crosswinds too.
Thanks. ^^ It's really a fantastic piece of kit. Will post a picture when I get around to it. I still need to get used to playing with pedals a bit. I was considering between the Crosswinds and the "Slaw Device". As the former seem to be more easily configurable and the latter can only be ordered by directly contacting their maker and still seem to be undergoing frequent revisions, I went with the Crosswinds in the end.

Edit - pics:

FDev said on the forums that they are giving players a new starting location with Horizons - on a planet's ground. Anybody up for starting a new pilot in the beta? Note: Starting a new pilot here doesn't delete the pilot in the main game!

Well, if you're doing fortification you have to get it from Kamadhenu.

B4pGqG4.png

Guathiti is within one jump for my Anaconda though, so the trips are fast.

maybe it's different for ALD. For the princess you could get them from anywhere. Or, you could when I was with that faction.

How much money do you guys think i'll need for a good basic Anaconda? (not A-Class since well... i don't have that money yet)

http://coriolis.io/outfit/anaconda/...5050503040445030301.Iw18ZlA=.AwgsI4EYaz4QoA==

$146 mill, minimum trading fit. Plus another $8 mill to have at least one buyback.

http://coriolis.io/outfit/anaconda/...j390303036b.Iw18ZlA=.CwBhrEEYdmGYBMZ6vtRnEXEA

$230 mill, minimum combat fit. Plus another $12 mill to have at least one buyback.

That's with a 15% discount on all parts. Don't do either of these activities unless you have that minimum + the buyback amount. Don't do any PvP in a combat variant until you've A-rated.

Serrato

I see, thanks Dreams-Visions.

Is there a reason the Battle-Conda doesn't fit a 4A Plasma Accelerator or it's for when I'll have more moneys?

Burny

I can't find the post here, but some of you were talking about a like throttle that has a nub vs something else...think named CH Pro Throttle...

is it this? http://www.chproducts.com/Pro-Throttle-v13-d-719.html

Is there a complete set that comes with a joystick?

Yes, that's the throttle with the joystick. And no, it's not a HOTAS - the CH Products Pro Throttle and the Joysticks are being sold separately. You can use each separately without the other.

The nub was probably me talking about the Saitek X52 nub on the throttle, which registers as a mouse, but handles like the 3DS' analog nub.

The CH Products Pro Throttle on the other hand has a small stick, which also registers as a joystick.

Jedi2016

The nub was probably me talking about the Saitek X52 nub on the throttle, which registers as a mouse, but handles like the 3DS' analog nub.
Speaking of which, is there a way to get the game to recognize those buttons? I'm not using that mouse control for anything, but I can't assign that button to anything in-game, either. Same for the mouse wheel on the back. It would be great for cycling sub-targets on an enemy ship, and it's clickable. But Elite doesn't even know it's there.

I'm also having problems with the Mode switch on the Saitek, but I need to research it some more. I want some controls to do different things when I'm out exploring and don't need things like Target Hostile and Boost... I want to reassign those to different functions without having to edit the config.

Burny

Speaking of which, is there a way to get the game to recognize those buttons? I'm not using that mouse control for anything, but I can't assign that button to anything in-game, either. Same for the mouse wheel on the back. It would be great for cycling sub-targets on an enemy ship, and it's clickable. But Elite doesn't even know it's there.

I'm also having problems with the Mode switch on the Saitek, but I need to research it some more. I want some controls to do different things when I'm out exploring and don't need things like Target Hostile and Boost... I want to reassign those to different functions without having to edit the config.

Yes. But it's idiotic, which is among other things why I sold the X52.

You need to create a profile in their software and then de-assign the preselected function for the inputs that don't register (Google it if you don't find it immediately, I don't know the exact terms; I'm afraid). Afterwards, the buttons will register in Elite. You also need to un-toggle the clutch function in the Windows configuration for the Joystick, where you can change the display's brightness as well. Otherwise the "i" button on the throttle may not register - not even in Saitek's profile software. I never got any use out of the mouse nub and the wheels at the throttle's base though.

Jedi2016

I'm probably already done messing around with the profile editor.. Twice now I've gotten everything set up exactly the way it's (apparently) supposed to be, and it just flat out doesn't work, the buttons do nothing at all. And it inexplicably made the pinkie switch stop working, which is my UI focus.. without that, I lose quite a bit of functionality in the ship, dammit.

derFeef

I'm probably already done messing around with the profile editor.. Twice now I've gotten everything set up exactly the way it's (apparently) supposed to be, and it just flat out doesn't work, the buttons do nothing at all. And it inexplicably made the pinkie switch stop working, which is my UI focus.. without that, I lose quite a bit of functionality in the ship, dammit.

Aw man I had the exact same problem with my X52 but for the love of god I can't remember the fix.

Hylian7

I had this same problem a while back, and the fix is a really weird one. Click the icon for the X52 in the system tray and click "Control Panel". This should bring up something similar to the window you usually get when you bring up the configurations for gamepads. Just leave this open when using you X52 and it will work fine.

I know, it's weird, but it works.

Burny

I had this same problem a while back, and the fix is a really weird one. Click the icon for the X52 in the system tray and click "Control Panel". This should bring up something similar to the window you usually get when you bring up the configurations for gamepads. Just leave this open when using you X52 and it will work fine.

I know, it's weird, but it works.

Did I mention I'm happy to be rid of the X52 Pro? :p

I see, thanks Dreams-Visions.

Is there a reason the Battle-Conda doesn't fit a 4A Plasma Accelerator or it's for when I'll have more moneys?

You can fit whatever you like once you have the funds. And yea, it's like the last offensive thing to get and is not especially useful beyond PvP. If you're doing mainly or exclusively PvE, don't bother.

I can't find the post here, but some of you were talking about a like throttle that has a nub vs something else...think named CH Pro Throttle...

is it this? http://www.chproducts.com/Pro-Throttle-v13-d-719.html

Is there a complete set that comes with a joystick?

I am running a CH setup with the stick, pedals and throttle. You'd have to pry it from my cold, dead hands. Never had a malfunction and I have about 100 commands bound to the set. I literally only touch the keyboard to type messages. I don't even use the keyboard to quit the game. Every command I want is bound to the HOTAS. Using a customized version of this map:

https://github.com/domdavis/ch-products-elite-map

https://github.com/domdavis/ch-products-elite-map/blob/master/layouts/full.pdf

I'll be mapping new buttons to keys as new features are added to the game as there are still about 25 buttons or so that I can still configure. And the best part: 0 malfunctions, technical difficulties or issues of any kind. And the analog stick on the throttle is godtier for thruster actions. And in a decade it'll work just as well as it does today. Because it's a CH setup. My old CH stick from the 90s still works (though that's not what I'm using). Fuck the fancy glowing lights and shit on sticks. Give me something that is reliable and fully customizable in every way. Give me CH every time.

MayMay

Banned
Had my eye on this game for a while, and it's really cheap in the Steam sale atm. But I've heard alooot of "this game is pretty boring" kinda opinions and reviews from when the game came out also made it seem like there's not that much variety - among other things.

Did it get any big updates that improve upon stuff like mission variety?

Edit: Wait.. I just read that ED: Horizons isnt DLC but gets sold as a standalone and includes the base game? I suppose buying the game right now would be pretty pointless, then.. Dont want to rebuy the thing.

JambiBum

They're doing a black friday sale now on their store. The base game is 15 dollars plus they have a sale on a bunch of paint jobs. They also added a bunch of new paint jobs and added a special offer for Horizons. If you pre order before the 1st you get the midnight paint job for every ship in the game. This offer is also retroactive for season pass and early pre orders.

Serrato

They're doing a black friday sale now on their store. The base game is 15 dollars plus they have a sale on a bunch of paint jobs. They also added a bunch of new paint jobs and added a special offer for Horizons. If you pre order before the 1st you get the midnight paint job for every ship in the game. This offer is also retroactive for season pass and early pre orders.

So since I bought Horizons a couple of weeks ago, I should get the skins too?

Edit : Don’t worry, all Commanders who have already pre-ordered Horizons, including those with the lifetime expansion pass, and those with Horizons beta access, will also be given the Midnight paint job pack.

Nevermind, got my answer. Cool!

SmartBase

As part of our Black Friday sale we’re adding an Elite Dangerous: Horizons pre-order incentive. Every Commander who pre-orders Elite Dangerous: Horizons before Tuesday December 1 at 6PM GMT will get an in-game black paint job pack called Midnight. Don’t worry, all Commanders who have already pre-ordered Horizons, including those with the lifetime expansion pass, and those with Horizons beta access, will also be given the Midnight paint job pack.

With this pre-order offer you’ll get 29 black paint jobs in the pack – that’s one for each ship in the game! (excluding those in CQC).

Black ships? Yes please.

Never mind, beaten like a pre-1.5 FDL powerplant.

DrBo42

Well he's not showing the part that isn't seamless. Not really impressed by a new HUD coming up at close proximity, show me the transition to landing.

Uthred

Base game has a good discount at the moment but its included in Horizon and theres no upgrade discount as far as I can see? Will you still be able to play the base game without a mandatory upgrade to Horizon?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom