• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elite: Dangerous |OT| Every Man's Sky

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jedi2016

Wait, what? There's a "Loyalty Discount" for the Horizons pre-order... $15 off. That can't just be because I own the base game, can it? Maybe a carryover from the old beta days?

Those new paint jobs look kind of slick.

Question on the Fer-de-Lance paint jobs (if anyone knows): The base paint job in-game is red and chrome, but it looks like the chrome isn't there on any of the custom paint jobs. Can anyone confirm that? Going with one of the deep blue or black colors would look pretty slick alongside the chrome.

They all look good at distance since the updates.

TwqBqVM.gif

Wait, what? There's a "Loyalty Discount" for the Horizons pre-order... $15 off. That can't just be because I own the base game, can it? Maybe a carryover from the old beta days?

Loyalty discount has been available since Horizons was announced. If you own the base game, yeah, you get the discount.

americobra

instant purchase
now officially like $20 poorer.

I'm sorry, but I can't just...not have a gold FdL.

I have tradePython. How much increase in income will i get if i switch to tradeAnaconda? Or type-9?

Fuck the T9. Get a Tradeaconda with the build I posted earlier today. The difference in income between what you're getting now vs in a Conda is largely dependent upon (a) how much your trade routes depend on landing at outposts (because the Conda can't) and (b) how much cargo space you currently have. I think you can reasonably expect about $7-$9 mill/hour trading in a Conda with a decent route. A little more if you can smuggle.

Pomerlaw

T9 is a beautiful ship.

Guys, it won't be totally seamless. DB already said so. You will have a transition from Orbital Cruise to normal flight.

SC from Orbital is seamless as can be seen in the video.

Oh and you can see bases from orbit. Impressive.

attachment.php

I wish there was a reasonable upgrade path for the expansion so I could recommend the sale price to friends.

Agree. TBQH, the base game should be like $7 starting this weekend. It's essentially obselete come mid December and $7 could be argued as a fair price to get an early start to farming and playing and whatever else.

Burny

Had my eye on this game for a while, and it's really cheap in the Steam sale atm. But I've heard alooot of "this game is pretty boring" kinda opinions and reviews from when the game came out also made it seem like there's not that much variety - among other things.

Did it get any big updates that improve upon stuff like mission variety?

Edit: Wait.. I just read that ED: Horizons isnt DLC but gets sold as a standalone and includes the base game? I suppose buying the game right now would be pretty pointless, then.. Dont want to rebuy the thing.

Agree. TBQH, the base game should be like $7 starting this weekend. It's essentially obselete come mid December and $7 could be argued as a fair price to get an early start to farming and playing and whatever else.
Shouting into the echo chamber, but still - agreed!

@MayMay: Don't buy vanilla Elite! Horizons is a month away or so, includes vanilla and all season 2 exclusive features, so unless you have a compulsive need to play the game now and not later, wait for Horizons!

Alternatively, if you want to test it for cheap, wait for a good deal on the base game and get that (15$ is a terrific deal imo). If you should determine you like it, you can still get Horizons later.

TheTrain

Sale highlights include:

40% off selected paint jobs
Elite Dangerous Boxed Edition is £12.99 – 56% off – The ideal Xmas gift, Limited Edition... once gone there will be no restock on this item.
Elite Dangerous OST 3CD Digipack - £10 (33% off)
Elite Legacy – Hardback - £9.99 (33% off)
Elite Legacy – Paperback – £4.99 (38% off)

Black Ships for Black Friday: 29 free black paint jobs for all those that pre-order Horizons, Horizons Beta or own the Lifetime Expansion Pass.

I took a boxed copy. I'll gift the code but the box will stay on the shelf. <3

Hylian7

Sale highlights include:

40% off selected paint jobs
Elite Dangerous Boxed Edition is £12.99 – 56% off – The ideal Xmas gift, Limited Edition... once gone there will be no restock on this item.
Elite Dangerous OST 3CD Digipack - £10 (33% off)
Elite Legacy – Hardback - £9.99 (33% off)
Elite Legacy – Paperback – £4.99 (38% off)

Black Ships for Black Friday: 29 free black paint jobs for all those that pre-order Horizons, Horizons Beta or own the Lifetime Expansion Pass.

I took a boxed copy. I'll gift the code but the box will stay on the shelf. <3
Awesome, these deals are on right now?

Sign me up for that gold FDL then.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
So, yeah, I needed to change up the look of my Asp, I'm so very tired of the default paint job. And since I'll be taking her to the core and the far rim in a month or two and landing on planets where I'll be able to see her from the outside an awful lot, well I bought my first ship skin for Elite Dangerous: The Asp White Pharoah.

I might just pick up a paint pack for my Clipper too...

bounchfx

looking at this now that it's 15, Horizons is what got me interested, but since the price is level now I'm so tempted... but I guess I still don't really understand the game flow. Is it similar to Eve in that you do whatever, but it's in-cockpit instead with more actiony combat?

it's okay if you don't answer, I'll actually read the thread now. just displaying my interest brahs.

Ok, dumb questions time. I purchased this way back when it was still dumb expensive and you got the lifetime pass with it, so it's been a long time since I've played. How, exactly, do these multiple install things work? Like, I see Elite: Dangerous in the installer, along with beta v1.5 SHIPS as a separate thing. Just trying to figure out which I should be playing, if it's all the same server, etc. I think it's time I actually start playing with the planetary landing stuff incoming.

HelloMeow

Ok, dumb questions time. I purchased this way back when it was still dumb expensive and you got the lifetime pass with it, so it's been a long time since I've played. How, exactly, do these multiple install things work? Like, I see Elite: Dangerous in the installer, along with beta v1.5 SHIPS as a separate thing. Just trying to figure out which I should be playing, if it's all the same server, etc. I think it's time I actually start playing with the planetary landing stuff incoming.

For every major update they release a beta a couple of weeks before it goes live. The betas are on a separate server, so anything you do there won't affect the main game.

The 1.5 beta released a couple of weeks ago. The beta for Horizons, or 2.0, will release monday and will use the same server as the 1.5 beta. 1.5 is basically 2.0 for people who didn't get Horizons.

DrBo42

We could definitely use more of that in the SC thread.

Oh there's no saving that crowd. It was over when you could melt down your current backing package/ship to trade up for a more expensive one. It's like the opposite of a support group in there, all enabling the same sickness.

Burny

Oh there's no saving that crowd. It was over when you could melt down your current backing package/ship to trade up for a more expensive one. It's like the opposite of a support group in there, all enabling the same sickness.

Heh, the Star Citizen ships do look good. I got cured when I realized the bigger ship "pledges" are essentially .jpeg sales and are sometimes years away from being playable at all. And should they become available, it's doubtful that the implementation side of things will ever catch up to the BDSSE that CR and the rest are fantasizing about.

looking at this now that it's 15, Horizons is what got me interested, but since the price is level now I'm so tempted... but I guess I still don't really understand the game flow. Is it similar to Eve in that you do whatever, but it's in-cockpit instead with more actiony combat?

Yes, it's open ended like Eve, but far less developed. Due to both technical and self imposed limitations by the devs, the game will also very likely never match the features that you'll find in Eve.

- Eve is a subscription based game running on a/several(?) backend server(s). Elite on the other hand does not require a play time based subscription, but also has no active backend server. The difference is that in Eve you can have hundreds of players at the same time and location. Elite matches players in peer2peer groups of up to 32 (I think?), based on their real world connection and their ingame location.

-> Eve has a (completely?) player driven economy from what I gather, while Elite has a background sim that is influenced by players, but does not, as far as I know, simulate a coherent economy from the production to the consumption of wares.

-> Eve allows players far more interaction with the game world than Elite. This is partly due to the instancing/server architecture. If you can't guarantee you'll be matched into the same instance in Elite, players can for example not reliably create an ingame blockade of an area (thank god! :p). They'll only immediately affect their own instance. Then there is the interaction with stations, which is very limited in Elite. Players can't own, control in whatever form, build or destroy stations.

-> Features to formally form player groups (guilds) with ingame effects are still missing from Elite. This is largely due to self imposed restrictions by Fdev.

-> There is no player to player market in Elite. Players only directly interact with the "NPC" market and ships can only be bought and sold from and to the sim. Credit transfer has to be done using cargo: drop a couple of tons of a valuable resource for another player and they can sell it to a station, transforming them into credits. But there is - as of now - also no crafting in Elite, that would drive a player/eceonomy market. Carfting is among the announced features for Horizons, but whether that leads to a player market has never been said, iirc. Probably not, or not yet.

-> As a result of the instanced nature, large scale player battles beyond the 32 limit are not possible in Elite. Unfortunately, also the mission system in Elite is not particularily evolved and doesn't provide large scale PvE battles.

Hylian7

it's okay if you don't answer, I'll actually read the thread now. just displaying my interest brahs.

I just tried a trial of Eve a looooooong time ago, so don't take my knowledge of Eve as gospel or anything, but basically I would say Elite is less objective based or anything like that. Yes, huge fights can break out, and it definitely is more action-focused like you said. There's a simulation aspect to it so the ships behave realistically, there are tons of functions of your ship to get the most out of piloting it.

Being completely honest, I would say Elite is a grind, but the phrase "The journey is better than the inn" really applies here. There's no "classes" or set career paths, or anything like that. You do whatever the hell you want to. However it's up to you to choose how you make money. There are ranks in three categories: Combat, Trade, and Exploration.

There are multiple methods of making money in each of these. For instance, for combat you can go to conflict zones, pick a side, kill as many ships as you can on the enemy side, and turn in the combat bonds for cash. Combat bonds are a bit more consistent based on what rank and what kind of ship you kill. Bounty hunting generally involves going to Resource Extraction Sites and killing wanted ships. The more dangerous of an RES you go to, the bigger ships with bigger bounties on them.

Trading sounds boring at first, and I was of the same mindset of a while. I still much prefer combat, but trading is basically about finding trade routes for commodities where you can buy low and sell high. You can either figure out the trade routes yourself using the in-game Galaxy Map, or use sites that set up trade routes for you based on where you are.

Exploration is generally the idea of just going to systems no one has been to yet, and selling the data you get from scanning planets, moons, gas giants, etc. Many of the pretty looking screenshots you see in this thread are from explorers. You would get a ship that has a long jump range, and a fuel scoop and can go a long way from civilization to see what's out there. You can see black holes and other cool stuff like that. It's a more relaxing path, and probably the least profitable right now, but Frontier is working toward making it more viable.

There's a ton more options in what you can do for each of these. There's also the Powerplay system which is a whole other explanation.

Basically, if you like space sims, and general flight simulation, with combat, you will probably like Elite. This comes with a warning though: The game doesn't throw the fun things at you automatically, you have to go find them yourself. You might have your own personal goal of what you're trying to make money toward, and how you're going to get there.

Haunted

I think the heavy steam discount will lead to some new faces in this thread, it's a real good deal. I wouldn't have bought it otherwise. :D

What are people's preferred controls for this? Ideally I'd imagine a flight stick and Track IR, but it's been years since I had the space for such peripherals. With my... consolidated options, what do people think? Is a (360) controller workable or do people insist on kb/m? Maybe this is the one that makes a good argument for a Steam controller.

I think the heavy steam discount will lead to some new faces in this thread, it's a real good deal. I wouldn't have bought it otherwise. :D

What are people's preferred controls for this? Ideally I'd imagine a flight stick and Track IR, but it's been years since I had the space for such peripherals. With my... consolidated options, what do people think.

CH Fighterstick (http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00006B84X/?tag=neogaf0e-20)
CH Pro Throttle (http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00006B84Z/?tag=neogaf0e-20)
CH Pro Pedals (http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0000512IE/?tag=neogaf0e-20)

A personally modified version of the best CH Products Map for ED (https://github.com/domdavis/ch-products-elite-map)

Trackclip Pro (http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00QKRD4DM/?tag=neogaf0e-20)
PlayStation Eye (http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0072I2240/?tag=neogaf0e-20)
FreeTrack 2.2 (http://www.free-track.net/english/)
CL Eye Driver (https://codelaboratories.com/products/eye/driver/)

Voice Attack voice command software (http://www.voiceattack.com/)

The headtracking setup was about $35 total and perfectly replicates the TrackIR5 for $100 less. The CH setup was about $280 total.

I love every piece of the setup. I don't use Voice Attack much because I have every function mapped to a HOTAS button and for everything that isn't being run by a macro I can do faster on my HOTAS. And now that I think about it, if I were to map that last 1% to macro via the HOTAS, I'd have no use for Voice Attack at all. But it's a cool change of pace so I use it occasionally. I'd probably use it more for Exploring for a nearly hands-free experience and that Star Trek feel.

Is a (360) controller workable or do people insist on kb/m? Maybe this is the one that makes a good argument for a Steam controller.
Lots of people use 360/One controllers. They'd be a fine choice I'm sure. Can't speak to the steam controller. Don't have one and don't know anyone who has ED that uses one.

Haunted

CH Fighterstick (http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00006B84X/?tag=neogaf0e-20)
CH Pro Throttle (http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00006B84Z/?tag=neogaf0e-20)
CH Pro Pedals (http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0000512IE/?tag=neogaf0e-20)

A personally modified version of the best CH Products Map for ED (https://github.com/domdavis/ch-products-elite-map)

Trackclip Pro (http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00QKRD4DM/?tag=neogaf0e-20)
PlayStation Eye (http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0072I2240/?tag=neogaf0e-20)
FreeTrack 2.2 (http://www.free-track.net/english/)
CL Eye Driver (https://codelaboratories.com/products/eye/driver/)

Voice Attack voice command software (http://www.voiceattack.com/)

The headtracking setup was about $35 total and perfectly replicates the TrackIR5 for $100 less. The CH setup was about $280 total.

I love every piece of the setup. I don't use Voice Attack much because I have every function mapped to a HOTAS button and for everything that isn't being run by a macro I can do faster on my HOTAS. And now that I think about it, if I were to map that last 1% to macro via the HOTAS, I'd have no use for Voice Attack at all. But it's a cool change of pace so I use it occasionally. I'd probably use it more for Exploring for a nearly hands-free experience and that Star Trek feel.
That's pretty fucking boss. :D

I'm new to this and saw it was on sale, but someone said to wait as there's a new version coming out. My question is...

Do I get the Base game now, or wait for the Expansion to come out?

Burny

What are people's preferred controls for this? Ideally I'd imagine a flight stick and Track IR, but it's been years since I had the space for such peripherals. With my... consolidated options, what do people think? Is a (360) controller workable or do people insist on kb/m? Maybe this is the one that makes a good argument for a Steam controller.

Keyboard + Mouse is perfectly playable. I would say that is only less effective for going Flight Assist Off exclusively. A 360 controller in combination with a keyboard (for chatting and the like) is also perfectly workable, but would of course not allow you to aim fixed weapons as precisely as the other options.

Luckily the gimbal mechanic in Elite is - imo - great, and allows you to be a competent PvE-er at least with any setup.

If you're very resolved and convinced you're going to like it, you might wait for "Horizons" (season 2, includes all season 1 features). That'll give you all features at once. If you're unsure: Go for the discounted base game and see if you like it. You can still get Horizons later, e.g. if it should be on sale at some point.

JambiBum

I'm new to this and saw it was on sale, but someone said to wait as there's a new version coming out. My question is...

I just had this conversation with a friend. If you want to play it now and don't want to wait for the expansion get it while it is on sale to see if you like it enough to get the expansion when it releases. If you're willing to put down 45 instead of 15, get the expansion package from frontier's store. You get the expansion + the full game for the 45 instead of just the game for 15. The downside to that deal is that you don't get to play it until the expansion releases and you won't get a steam key for the game until it does. You can get the beta version (which allows earlier access) but it is more expensive.

For 15 the base game is a steal on its own. The expansion is going to add a lot more to the game though and if you think you'll like it enough I'd go for the expansion version instead.

If you're very resolved and convinced you're going to like it, you might wait for "Horizons" (season 2, includes all season 1 features). That'll give you all features at once. If you're unsure: Go for the discounted base game and see if you like it. You can still get Horizons later, e.g. if it should be on sale at some point.

I just had this conversation with a friend. If you want to play it now and don't want to wait for the expansion get it while it is on sale to see if you like it enough to get the expansion when it releases. If you're willing to put down 45 instead of 15, get the expansion package from frontier's store. You get the expansion + the full game for the 45 instead of just the game for 15. The downside to that deal is that you don't get to play it until the expansion releases and you won't get a steam key for the game until it does. You can get the beta version (which allows earlier access) but it is more expensive.

For 15 the base game is a steal on its own. The expansion is going to add a lot more to the game though and if you think you'll like it enough I'd go for the expansion version instead.

Thanks for clearing this up :)

DrBo42

So I finally got to the Anaconda-Club.

Yeah!

And also, I thought it would be a drab to play due to size and slow speed but in fact it is pretty fun.

Yeah it's like a galleon. Super weighty but adds to the satisfaction of bringing all your weapons to bear on someone. As a trader or miner you feel invincible. For me there's no going back to a smaller role specific ship. It's just too good.

Yeah, for all the teasing I do, it's good to keep this thread from becoming an echo chamber.

Hi friends,

So I bought this yesterday on Steam.

1) Wow!

2) I played the first 4-5 combat tutorials with a 360 controller. Things seemed fine until I did that tutorial against the 'equal' enemy ship. Is there a way to config the controls to play with a controller, or should I bite the bullet and get a flight stick?

Serrato

Well it's clearly made for a flight stick but it's entirely doable with a Controller. You should go in the controls options and modify them as you see fit.

Well it's clearly made for a flight stick but it's entirely doable with a Controller. You should go in the controls options and modify them as you see fit.

Ok, I need to invest some time into that. The one thing that really stood was that the ship felt like it was turning in molasses, whatever setting I need to adjust for that didn't jump out at me (it was late).

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Ok, I need to invest some time into that. The one thing that really stood was that the ship felt like it was turning in molasses, whatever setting I need to adjust for that didn't jump out at me (it was late).

Make sure you keep your speed in the blue zone on your speedometer, that's the optimal turn radius speed. You can also use your vertical thrusters to alter your turn arc further when in a turning fight.

Pomerlaw

Hi friends,

So I bought this yesterday on Steam.

1) Wow!

2) I played the first 4-5 combat tutorials with a 360 controller. Things seemed fine until I did that tutorial against the 'equal' enemy ship. Is there a way to config the controls to play with a controller, or should I bite the bullet and get a flight stick?

I play this game with an XBOX360 pad... And I'm pretty good at it.

Lime

I'm kind of in the mood again for Elite but I always get burned out whenever I return for it. Haven't played properly since around February I think.

Is there a good summary of Horizons and what the 4 expansions entail?

I'm still kind of bummed that I paid 50 euro for this back in December and now only get 25% off while newcomers get the whole deal for what the same amount that I paid for.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom