• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elite: Dangerous |OT| Every Man's Sky

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pomerlaw

LB : yaw left
RB : yaw right
X : increase throttle
A: Decrease throttle
B: Boost
Y: Flight Assist Off
LT : Secondary Fire
RT : Primary Fire
R : Toggle Free Look
L : Frameshift Drive
L+R = Hyperdrive
Select : Select target

But that's just me. :)

Hylian7

I'm kind of in the mood again for Elite but I always get burned out whenever I return for it. Haven't played properly since around February I think.

Is there a good summary of Horizons and what the 4 expansions entail?

I'm still kind of bummed that I paid 50 euro for this back in December and now only get 25% off while newcomers get the whole deal for what the same amount that I paid for.
You have missed a lot since then. Would you believe me if I told you that combat is now the best way to make money?

I forget when the Vulture/FDL update came out, but both of those ships are great. FDL is getting a huge buff in 1.5 (currently in beta) in the way of the power plant moving up an entire class, improved pitch speed, and improved cooling.

Powerplay is a very intricate system. Be sure to look at all of the powers and join the one that fits what you like to do.
Lavigny-Duval is consistently in the top 4 powers, and you can make crazy money with rating 5 with her. Her bonuses benefit bounty hunting.

1.4 had a few ships added, including the Imperial Eagle, Federal Assault Ship, and Federal Gunship. It also had a balance change that is arguably one of the largest: Power plants being destroyed don't instantly blow up the ship. There is still a small chance of that happening, but if it doesn't, the power plant's output is decreased. This means you need to set your #1 priority modules to be only things you need to escape.

1.5 is still in beta and the update is called "Ships". It brings in a bunch of new ships, most notably the two big kahunas that are larger than the Anaconda: The Federal Corvette and Imperial Cutter. It also introduces another huge balance change. Shield Cell Banks generate a ton of heat when used, where you are guaranteed to overheat if you don't use a heat sink. To offer other options, C rating shield generators are Bi-Weave shield generators, which are not as strong as normal shields, but regenerate faster. There were also the FDL buffs I mentioned, since with the SCB nerf it kind of screwed over FDL pilots. Also every module now has a boot up time, some longer than others. SCBs have a long boot time.

Horizons beta starts Monday (hopefully), and involves landing on atmosphere-less planets. You get a buggy-like vehicle called an SRV for moving around planets. There will be bases both friendly and enemy (to raid), as well as enemy drones to fight. Ships can still fly low over land, however gravity will affect them differently.

Lime

Thanks Hylian7! I was kind of bummed that combat didn't net me a lot of money and doing Space Truck Simulator wasn't all that interesting because of having to calculate where resources were worth something.

I might go for Horizons despite being left out in the cold as a first-buyer.

Burny

I bit. Installing it now. What are peoples preferences on Keyb/Mouse or controller?

Go with the best you have available and prefer. Lots of people use controllers and sticks. Most probably use kb&m.

He, the best depends on what you want to do. ;) Overall the best would be a full competent space-game HOTAS with rudder pedals. That pretty much leaves you with the CH Products Throttle and probably joystick...

Now for the more reasonable option: A gamepad gives you almost comparably good control over the ship as a HOTAS, but is not as good at aiming, due to having far less travel with the sticks. Gimbaled weapons are your friend here.

Mouse & Keyboard is actually an excellent setup when you reconfigure it a bit. I suggest mapping yaw to the mouse's X-axis and roll to the "A" and "D" key, throttle to the mouse-wheel, energy distribution to the 1-4 keys, vertical thrusters to "W" and "S" key and lateral thrusters to the "Q" and "E" keys. Targeting on the mouse's extra keys or "R"/"F" etc.. "Ctrl" makes for a good modifier, so "Ctrl" + mouse wheel could be used for targeting subsystems.

bounchfx

so I'm done with the tutorials, and there's only one real issue i'm running into so far, and that's trying to dock, as in, going into the station itself. I can do it, but it's annoying - whenever i try to rotate my ship around to match the speed of the station turning, my ship actually turns and looks a different direction instead of just rolling. It's super frustrating. I'm using an xbone controller on control pad settings. I'm not sure why it seems to be both looking and rolling at the same time.

edit: also, the tutorial seems to tell you absolutely nothing about the game itself.

I just started for the first time, open play, and I'm like whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat the fuck am I doing XD

kvk1

so I'm done with the tutorials, and there's only one real issue i'm running into so far, and that's trying to dock, as in, going into the station itself. I can do it, but it's annoying - whenever i try to rotate my ship around to match the speed of the station turning, my ship actually turns and looks a different direction instead of just rolling. It's super frustrating. I'm using an xbone controller on control pad settings. I'm not sure why it seems to be both looking and rolling at the same time.

make sure you don't have flight assist off

and that you have rotational correction turned on

both of those options can be checked in the last tab of your right panel

edit: read the post again, this sounds more like a wonky axis assignment. make sure your headlook and ship control axis isn't assigned to the same stick.

kvk1

this is the relevant section bounch

8NIFtT1.png

bounchfx

make sure you don't have flight assist off

and that you have rotational correction turned on

both of those options can be checked in the last tab of your right panel

edit: read the post again, this sounds more like a wonky axis assignment. make sure your headlook and ship control axis isn't assigned to the same stick.

yeah they're both on. let me double check the headlook and control axis

edit: roll and pitch are both on the same. Is it these? or Yaw? I don't know what the fuck these mean XD

edit 2: Looks like it was the 'Yaw Into Roll" feature. but now I don't have yaw available on my controller at all. it's a and d on my keyboard. is yaw used a lot? I would need to find a way to re bind it to my controller :\

kvk1

roll and pitch should definitely be separate

4HIibqb.png

unfortunately i don't know how the gamepad deals with yaw

edit 2: Looks like it was the 'Yaw Into Roll" feature. but now I don't have yaw available on my controller at all. it's a and d on my keyboard. is yaw used a lot? I would need to find a way to re bind it to my controller :\

ah, ok

yeah, yaw is pretty crucial

i think there is a dial into how much you want yaw into roll, maybe you can tone it down a little and see how that works

bounchfx

roll and pitch should definitely be separate

4HIibqb.png

unfortunately i don't know how the gamepad deals with yaw

ah, ok

yeah, yaw is pretty crucial

i think there is a dial into how much you want yaw into roll, maybe you can tone it down a little and see how that works

ooh thanks! yeah gonna give that a shot.

I tried getting some missions from the hangar and there were only two available. one was to deliver something and the other was to find a box.

so I go to deliver something, it looks like its 24 light years away. okay. I can do this just like the tutorial. Let me start my jump drive. Oh wait.. I can't. Jump exceeds drive fuel use limit of .6 tons. the fuck am I supposed to do if I can't even do the very first mission XD. This is so intriguing but i'm so lost hah.

edit: I can't do the other one either. It's also too far. What am I doing wrong here?

kvk1

rarely will your destination be a direct jump away, you'll have to make several shorter jumps through other systems as your FSD jump range allows

try and go into your "Galaxy Map" (left panel, first tab) and find the destination system through the search box, and let the software plot the most appropriate route for you

bounchfx

rarely will your destination be a direct jump away, you'll have to make several shorter jumps through other systems as your FSD jump range allows

try and go into your "Galaxy Map" (left panel, first tab) and find the destination system through the search box, and let the software plot the most appropriate route for you

ahhh, okay. that's what the plot destination is. thanks duder!

bounchfx

i might be butchering some of these answers, hopefully you're set!

you're bound to have a lot more questions if you stick with the game, don't be shy to throw them our way

oh my lord, went to find my first pirate cleanup duty, and i jumped right into a fucking star, the mission was right BEHIND it and I got to close, almost burnt up. scary shit! had to correct myself then emergency shut off power. I pooped.

I keep getting close, then something crazy pops up (escape vector with insane particles everywhere??) and I freak out, and it cancels, and then i gotta frameshift again Lol

kvk1

oh my lord, went to find my first pirate cleanup duty, and i jumped right into a fucking star, the mission was right BEHIND it and I got to close, almost burnt up. scary shit! had to correct myself then emergency shut off power. I pooped.

rofl

don't be afraid to blow up when you're starting out

you're always given back a free sidewinder if you go boom

feel free to really experiment and screw up, honestly it's the best way to learn and a lot more fun than trying to do everything right the first time

kvk1

I keep getting close, then something crazy pops up (escape vector with insane particles everywhere??) and I freak out, and it cancels, and then i gotta frameshift again Lol

wait, i think you're trying to jump out of supercruise into another destination

in order to do that you need to be within a designated distance and under a designated speed

which your ship will usually get you to if you keep the throttle in the "blue zone"

87FuUnI.png

http://elite-dangerous.wikia.com/wiki/Supercruise

don't just fly straight into the waypoint full speed!

frontier has really good 101 videos on this stuff

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL7glm5rbPHKxnltQU1SLxdqQrENIXJGUr

bounchfx

rofl

don't be afraid to blow up when you're starting out

you're always given back a free sidewinder if you go boom

feel free to really experiment and screw up, honestly it's the best way to learn and a lot more fun than trying to do everything right the first time

I think I was just killed by a player.

I went to the area it told me to go, and I didn't see anything labeled as a pirate.. but I did see something labeled as 'wanted' and 'addictive' (?). I killed one after 10 minutes of shooting with my non-tracking shit starter lasers, one of which kept malfunctioning. then someone else started attacking me, we ran full speed into each other, then I realized his name was probably a player and i blew up.

5/5 would dive

wait, i think you're trying to jump out of supercruise into another destination

in order to do that you need to be within a designated distance and under a designated speed

http://elite-dangerous.wikia.com/wiki/Supercruise

don't just fly straight into the waypoint full speed!

yeah this was in the tutorial, but what wasn't covered in the tut was that a STAR might be in your way. how can I even fly around that? Lol, long ass detour! and the second supercruise I was on my way slowing down, then right before I was there (~6 seconds) a thing in bright ass blue popped up and startled me (the escape vector shit). stuff is wild

You can tell real players from NPC's by the prefix "CMDR" which only shows up on players.

ahh. yeah, that was a player. I wonder why he was wanted?

just tried to go back after dying. same shit, it looks like the destination is in front of me, but I get too close to a star and burn up, I guess I have to go all the way around. Is there a quick way to do this or you just kinda cruise around? I try to FSD again and the only place I get is an escape vector, and as soon as I try I burn up again. now all my shit is broken XD. I'm guessing going into superspeed also overheats you? After the last jump trying to get back into alignment, all my instruments broke and now I'm sitting here just spinning in space. I feel like i'm in that movie Gravity.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
You can tell real players from NPC's by the prefix "CMDR" which only shows up on players. The radar icons are also hollow for real players.

kvk1

can you take a screenshot of your destination

it should be no more than 5-10 seconds in supercruise to go around any star

you're probably missing something simple

bounchfx

can you take a screenshot of your destination

it should be no more than 5-10 seconds in supercruise to go around any star

you're probably missing something simple

yeah let me get there again Lol. it's just misleading visually because it looks like it's RIGHT THERE, but if I don't pull up immediately it just breaks everything.

ROFL. respawned, tried to leave the station. It says thrust is offline. I try everything I can do, accidentally fire my laser once. Oops....

I don't understand - I can't even leave the station now Lol. nm, got it. This game.

bounchfx

lmfao

don't give up

I blew up ahah. turns out my thrusters were turned off from when I tried to reboot and repair when i was floating waiting for death. it ALMOST worked too.

I think

edit: yeah I'm not sure what the hell I'm doing. I went to the nav beacon in the system where it says the pirates are, I only see 2-3 people, they're all clean and reputable. I'm not sure where I'm supposed to find these duders.

I blew up ahah. turns out my thrusters were turned off from when I tried to reboot and repair when i was floating waiting for death. it ALMOST worked too.

I think

edit: yeah I'm not sure what the hell I'm doing. I went to the nav beacon in the system where it says the pirates are, I only see 2-3 people, they're all clean and reputable. I'm not sure where I'm supposed to find these duders.

Wanted NPC will show up at nav beacons but you may have to wait a bit.

I think

I'm about to head to a movie but if you're playing later/tomorrow we can team up. it's easier to answer questions in real time as they come up as opposed to the slow call and response that is forum posting. add me for now. 'Heavenly Hammer' in game.

bounchfx

Wanted NPC will show up at nav beacons but you may have to wait a bit.

yeah a bunch of people showed up after. I helped kill 2 hostiles, but on the question info it still says 0/3 confirmed

I'm about to head to a movie but if you're playing later/tomorrow we can team up. it's easier to answer questions in real time as they come up as opposed to the slow call and response that is forum posting. add me for now. 'Heavenly Hammer' in game.

will do

yeah a bunch of people showed up after. I helped kill 2 hostiles, but on the question info it still says 0/3 confirmed

if you're 100% sure they were listed as "WANTED" and you participated in the kill and didn't get credit, it may be because another human player was there and got the last hit. When other players are around, think of ship kills like creep hitting in Dota. The person who hits it last gets the $. If it's just you and a bunch of NPCs, you just need to hit them a couple times before their hull hits 0% for you to get credit.

If you know there were no human players around AND you know then ship was wanted...

...you're probably in the wrong star system. Check the mission to make sure you went to the right place.

bounchfx

if you're 100% sure they were listed as "WANTED" and you participated in the kill and didn't get credit, it may be because another human player was there and got the last hit. When other players are around, think of ship kills like creep hitting in Dota. The person who hits it last gets the $. If it's just you and a bunch of NPCs, you just need to hit them a couple times before their hull hits 0% for you to get credit.

If you know there were no human players around AND you know then ship was wanted...

...you're probably in the wrong star system. Check the mission to make sure you went to the right place.

yeah I'm not sure if there were humans there at that fight. I got 28000 for one kill and 3000 for another, maybe they were wanted but just not in the same quest? I definitely was in the right place haha

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
I forgot how complicated this game can be at times. Ugh.

Yeah. To all of us who have been playing for the past year it's all second nature mostly, but hell we were all newbie's at one time. The best advice I can give to new players is to stay in the sidewinder for a bit and just play around and experiment with both playing and flying. You'll make mistakes, botch things up, lose your ship in various ways, but you'll learn by doing and in time you'll find yourself making some money and buying a bigger and better ship. Elite is definitely a game where you learn by doing.

MayMay

Banned
Welp.. just bought it. And so did alot of other people apparently, it's #1 top seller on Steam right now.

Hello everyone, I might come in here more often from now on lol

DrBo42

Really glad to see a huge surge of players with this Steam sale. This will be interesting times ahead for Elite.
wink.gif

It's a shame all those people are fucked for Horizons though. They really need to sort out a reasonable upgrade path. Even at $15 US on the store I can't recommend it considering you get the base game with Horizons.

mnannola

It's a shame all those people are fucked for Horizons though. They really need to sort out a reasonable upgrade path. Even at $15 US on the store I can't recommend it considering you get the base game with Horizons.

Won't they get $15 off of Horizons if they own Elite? I know I have seen Steam games in the past offer discounts if you own another game so it must be possible.

Won't they get $15 off of Horizons if they own Elite? I know I have seen Steam games in the past offer discounts if you own another game so it must be possible.

Yes, they will. And unless they have a strong urge to play on planets immediately, they're getting a game that will last them literally a year in the base game including all the 1.5 ships. 700 hours easily. For $15. They aren't losing.

Just bought this on sale and while I almost ran out of fuel within my first hour with the game, I think I have a better idea of what I'm doing now! I just need to learn to use the map a little better. I'm already looking at a HOTAS on amazon, just because landing with my side thrust on the keyboard while using a controller is a bit of a pain in the ass.

One of the first things I stumbled across by accident was some police going to town on a guy with a bounty, so I joined in with my dinky little lasers and I guess my participation was worth 34,000 credits! so I have a nice little starting pile of money to work with. I still have to find a real station so I can buy some more stuff, I think the first thing I want to buy is a fuel scoop so I can avoid having to land in order to fuel up from now on.

Just bought this on sale and while I almost ran out of fuel within my first hour with the game, I think I have a better idea of what I'm doing now! I just need to learn to use the map a little better. I'm already looking at a HOTAS on amazon, just because landing with my side thrust on the keyboard while using a controller is a bit of a pain in the ass.

It begins.

Welcome, CMDR. o7

Our OT is a piece of shit, so take these with you:

http://elitetradingtool.co.uk/
https://eddb.io/station

they will help you find parts when you want to upgrade and items you may need to purchase for mission completion. bookmark them. and ask questions here.

Uthred

Some of the mission types seem deliberately obtuse/pointlessly RNG "Hey go to this system then fly around until maybe a location will spawn and maybe that location will have your mission target!"

Some of the mission types seem deliberately obtuse/pointlessly RNG "Hey go to this system then fly around until maybe a location will spawn and maybe that location will have your mission target!"

In those missions, just drop to the lowest supercruise speed (30) and scan ships until your target arrives. You'll need a FSD interdictor for those missions, though. Or I guess you could just follow them and then drop into their Wake.

Hylian7

Since we have such a huge influx of new people, I kind of want to write up ship profiles for the OP. I probably couldn't do them all myself since there are so many, and I have never flown a lot of the ships, but I do understand what they are good at and not good at.

I'd like to take the following ships:

Fer-De-Lance
Viper
Anaconda

I wanted to take Imperial Cutter too, but I didn't want to occupy all the fun ships. Unless no one else has beta access though or no one wants to, I will do the Imperial Cutter as well.

JambiBum

1.5 is bringing some much needed changes to the mission system as well so that will help out new players. Since everyone else is doing it, I'll pass on some tips as well.

When using the galaxy map to plot routes, select fastest route for the one with the least amount of jumps. Economical routes is usually the longer trip but it brings you through systems that have more things to offer at their stations. I'm pretty sure the game defaults to economical routes.

When selecting missions early on, try to choose ones that either involve you bringing cargo somewhere or ones that have you killing a group of pirates. The cargo ones are the easiest as you just deliver the cargo wherever they want you to go. These are usually annotated by a canister symbol + an arrow. As far as the pirate missions go, travel to the system they want you to kill them in and then drop into the nav beacon and wait. You can also try to find low or high intensity resource sites. These have more pirates but are also a little more dangerous. Also, just because someone is wanted, that doesn't always mean that they are a pirate. Pirates usually belong to independent factions within that system. Those faction names are listed under the pilots name and they usually sound kind of piratey. Also if you watch the comms channel they will usually scan you and ask if you have any cargo.

1.5 brings new mission variety and easier to understand missions. That patch should be hitting soon hopefully.

Don't worry about dying in your sidewinder because replacing it is free unless you update things on it. If you do then you have to pay a fraction of the price for the part you upgraded.

Last thing, if you want some more immersion, I'd recommend looking up radio sidewinder or lave radio. These are radio stations made by the community that are based on the game. They have game themed radio ads and news bulletins, and they play space themed music along with some popular stuff. Think of them like the radio stations in GTA. Both of these need VLC media player (or an equivalent) to work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom