• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elite: Dangerous |OT| Every Man's Sky

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
So guys, help me out here. Using http://elitetradingtool.co.uk/ I found a route to trade Narcotics. However, arriving in the station there's no option to sell the Narcotics :s Even though the site got updated 10 min ago. I'm confused.

If you're selling them to a station in which Narcotics are illegal, you'll need to sell them on the black market which is accessed through the 'contacts' list.

Raxious

If an enemy uses chaff, you can un-target them, and your gimballed weapon turns into a fixed weapon, negating the chaff. I've surprised a couple people doing this.

Better thrusters gives you a slightly higher maximum weight and is lighter, I think they accelerate faster, but I'm not sure.

Did you go to Contacts, and then "Sell to Black Market" ?

If you're selling them to a station in which Narcotics are illegal, you'll need to sell them on the black market which is accessed through the 'contacts' list.

Yea, no black market option either :s

Sinatar

Then there is no black market. Not sure if maybe you checked the wrong box or something using the tool, or there is a bug with the tool.

The tool is populated entirely by players, every single route I've found in Slopey's and Thudds has been completely wrong.

Saganator

The tool is populated entirely by players, every single route I've found in Slopey's and Thudds has been completely wrong.

Really? Not sure about Slopey's, but I use Thrudds and I've been a trading machine with it. Are you sure you're selecting the correct options? Sometimes I forget to select "Station Buying" instead of "Station Selling." Are you using "Find Trades"? Not sure how well that is supposed to work. I just use the Search function. I look at what is for sale in the station I'm in, hopefully find one that is high in supply, and then I use search. Select "Station Buying", enter in appropriate info, use a search radius of 25ly, and search. Then I sort by highest price and head out to which ever station is closest with highest profit. Works every time, so far.

Like I posted on Reddit yesterday, going in cold is completely pointless, and a great way to lose money. It's super easy to beat the scans with speed alone.

Not for me when I'm not quite confident with my skills yet. I've already crashed twice trying to do that. How does going in cold lose me money?

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
The trading tool Cmdr's Log was updated by ArchV1:

https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php?t=74171

It now includes a journal and travel log feature that allows you to record your flight path station by station. This guy really is giving me no reason to use pen and paper at all anymore, LOL. When I head out into deep space exploring I'm going to use this to log every system I visit.

Ronnie

Banned
So I've been having a blast in my Sidewinder for a couple of weeks now. Upgraded the FSD, power plant + distribution. Been mostly bounty hunting for a while now and have saved up 200,000 credits. If I'm mostly interested in combat/exploration, which is best Cobra or Viper? Should I make sure I have extra money saved up for the increase in insurance/fuel costs?

Trading really doesn't appeal to me at all, can this part of the game be skipped or is it necessary to make the million+ credits you need to get a good ship with good upgrades? Are good trade routes easy to find on those websites people have mentioned above?

Sinatar

So I've been having a blast in my Sidewinder for a couple of weeks now. Upgraded the FSD, power plant + distribution. Been mostly bounty hunting for a while now and have saved up 200,000 credits. If I'm mostly interested in combat/exploration, which is best Cobra or Viper? Should I make sure I have extra money saved up for the increase in insurance/fuel costs?

Trading really doesn't appeal to me at all, can this part of the game be skipped or is it necessary to make the million+ credits you need to get a good ship with good upgrades? Are good trade routes easy to find on those websites people have mentioned above?

If you're not interested in trading then get yourself a Viper, it's a sublime combat craft.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Just clutter the thread. Most people are still learning the game so more public knowledge is good.

Nah, don't worry the combat can be plenty challenging. Against weak NPCs and with a loadout that's all gimballed weapons it can be crazy easy though.

I had a quick skim of that video and the npc ships ranking he was fighting against were all pretty low. Mostly novices and one "pretty harmless" guy. Not sure if that's because of the guy's rank himself, dunno how scaling works yet.

The higher ranked (and usual bigger pay-out) dudes twist and turn fast, have decent aiming and defensive measures and make use of boosting and diverting power.

Not all the time and all of them - tbh they could be a little tougher and meaner on average - I'm hoping it scales more with my combat rank. But there will be tough fights if you want them. [Although with missions I would like more of an in-between, so far I've been offered small pie or anacondas for 150K]. I head to extraction sites.
PvP is a different story of course.

Python NPC dicks will straight up aim to take you out with their fat ship in a collision, you got to dodge when you go for a run-by. Even sidewinders can be tough if you get lazy with the turns (if you don't divert power to engines for the thrusters when you need it, if you don't switch off flight assist and give it some reverse throttle to get a faster turn going, if you don't follow their movement and paths and judge appropriately etc).

Gimballed weapons make it easier to lock on but they do less damage and are pretty useless if the enemy has chaff. I combine a slightly weaker gimballed laser with a heavy fixed one. And two fixed fragment canons in a different firegroup for when their shields are down and I'm close - I may switch the weaker one to a gimballed multi-cannon.

It's not enough to deal with all situations and all possible loadouts that you can come across (chaff won't affect homing missiles, only gimballed weapons, you need other things but might not have the slots).
I don't think you can set it up for everything without a massive ship but then you're also a big target - but you can optimize your loadout for things you'll most likely be doing/want to do. It's pretty costly though especially if want good stuff.

I'm still pretty new so yeah for sure the NPCs in that video are lightweights. I've encountered a few that chaffed and yeah gimbaled weapons totally are useless. Since I'm only starting out with bounty hunting it's been a great way to make cash until I can move up to a better ship. Been trying out an eagle and had some excellent results with it so far.

Cant wait until I can get a Cobra :)

Sarcasm

Okay I have a couple questions. I am still in my basic ship I got the sidewinder. Barely 4K CR. I have been flying around to random system and stations..either no quests or combat/go get stuff. So I just been aimlessly flying around.

1) If I have another system locked down, I can just hit my hotkey for FSD right? Don't need to use the console to engage hyperdrive.

2) Is there a better way of finding quests?

3) I only have one basic discovery scanner..I put it on a fire group. When is best to use it? And what do I do after it says "Discovered x"?

4) I have changed my keybindings around but want to know if there is a quick way to control ship especially at really low speeds..like flip but not as a old grandma. I am using the KB setup on this site https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php?t=71532

5) What should I upgrade on my ship and in what order? I only found one place that has an outfitting on it. One I saw had..everything mainly I already had equiped. Even the cargo was same capacity (4)..unless you can stack them (to get 8 or something)

JambiBum

Okay I have a couple questions. I am still in my basic ship I got the sidewinder. Barely 4K CR. I have been flying around to random system and stations..either no quests or combat/go get stuff. So I just been aimlessly flying around.

1) If I have another system locked down, I can just hit my hotkey for FSD right? Don't need to use the console to engage hyperdrive.

2) Is there a better way of finding quests?

3) I only have one basic discovery scanner..I put it on a fire group. When is best to use it? And what do I do after it says "Discovered x"?

4) I have changed my keybindings around but want to know if there is a quick way to control ship especially at really low speeds..like flip but not as a old grandma. I am using the KB setup on this site https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php?t=71532

5) What should I upgrade on my ship and in what order? I only found one place that has an outfitting on it. One I saw had..everything mainly I already had equiped. Even the cargo was same capacity (4)..unless you can stack them (to get 8 or something)

1. Yes, hitting your hotkey for supercruise/hyperjump will start the process as long as it isn't in cooldown or you aren't in mass lock.

2. Only way to get quests is from bulletin boards in stations.

3. Usually the best time to use the discovery scanner is after it has said discovered one new anomaly, because you are in range of undiscovered items. Or you can get close to undiscovered things using your nav panel and use it then.

4. I'm not really certain what you're asking here, as the controls don't change based on the speed you are flying. You can use your thrusters for finer movements or turn flight assist off.

5. Since you are in the basic sidewinder, once you get enough credits upgrade your frame shift drive and then your weapons. The FSD is the most important upgrade early on as it allows you to travel farther.

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness
Man, Slopey could have used some help from a DBA. I was just looking at the BPC database in SQLiteStudio (it's an SQLite3 database) and they don't have a stations table, just systems and commodities-at-systems (with station name as an attribute, so you get repeating station names per commodity). If they wanted to add something like "LS from beacon", or even economy type, they'd have to rework that structure. Was there previously only one trade post per system or something? TradeDangerous had a similar comment about having to adapt from a system=station structure.

I added a column for the BPC age in that system inventory worksheet so we can see which ones haven't loaded into BPC recently (or ever).
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Gnix4XtBEGv9ip3O_7Z0-YPeuAmLysy80ruqfIuZ2FM/edit#gid=0
(manually updated by copying all from the system list in BPC and pasting into that tab)

Sarcasm

1. Yes, hitting your hotkey for supercruise/hyperjump will start the process as long as it isn't in cooldown or you aren't in mass lock.

2. Only way to get quests is from bulletin boards in stations.

3. Usually the best time to use the discovery scanner is after it has said discovered one new anomaly, because you are in range of undiscovered items. Or you can get close to undiscovered things using your nav panel and use it then.

4. I'm not really certain what you're asking here, as the controls don't change based on the speed you are flying. You can use your thrusters for finer movements or turn flight assist off.

5. Since you are in the basic sidewinder, once you get enough credits upgrade your frame shift drive and then your weapons. The FSD is the most important upgrade early on as it allows you to travel farther.

Thanks, so what do I do with discoveries? Besides being awesome when I find it.

I guess also how do you tell if you have to replace a module or you can stack them? Example cargo rack.

Any recommendation for where to go? I am making absolutely no money cause every station I fly to has no quest I can do.

Skyzard

Banned
If an enemy uses chaff, you can un-target them, and your gimballed weapon turns into a fixed weapon, negating the chaff. I've surprised a couple people doing this.

Better thrusters gives you a slightly higher maximum weight and is lighter, I think they accelerate faster, but I'm not sure.

Did you go to Contacts, and then "Sell to Black Market" ?

Oh wow, useful, I had no clue, nice, thanks!

Shifty76

Thanks, so what do I do with discoveries? Besides being awesome when I find it.

I guess also how do you tell if you have to replace a module or you can stack them? Example cargo rack.

Any recommendation for where to go? I am making absolutely no money cause every station I fly to has no quest I can do.
1. It'll say how many new astronomical objects you discovered. Bring up your Nav panel, target them and fly close. Once you're close enough you will scan.

2. In the outfitting tab you'll see a number then another one below it. If your current item is a 1 and the slot is a 2 then you can upgrade to a 2 (bigger & better)

3. Find a system with resource extraction sites and hang around those (drop out of supercruise same as when you dock) Pirate ships WILL show up. Kill anything that is wanted. I can make 200k an hour easy from them

Shifty76

Can you make money from discoveries? Also what is resource extraction sites and how do you tell?

Yeah, travel 20 ly from the system you scanned and pick the Universal Cartographics option at the station. 200 cr for just a scan of the star, up to several thousand, depending on the number of objects scanned.

Resource extraction sites will show up on your HUD near ringed planets.

Jedi2016

Can you make money from discoveries? Also what is resource extraction sites and how do you tell?
You sell the exploration data at systems more than 20ly from where the discovery was made.

Resource extraction sites are like any other location. They can be found on your scanners and targeted for destination just like a planet or a station. If you just fly around for a bit doing other stuff, you're bound to run into them. I'm kind of surprised you haven't already.

Sarcasm

I have done a lot of flying and I only seen something called unidentified object.

Also you have to be below 30km to drop it off FSD correct?

Jedi2016

I have done a lot of flying and I only seen something called unidentified object.

Also you have to be below 30km to drop it off FSD correct?
30km is the minimum speed. Anything below 1Mm/s will drop you as soon as you hit the button, regardless of where you are. Anything above that will prompt with an "are you sure?". Hitting the button a second time will rip you out of supercruise, overheat your FSD, and probably damage your ship.

To drop out right where you want, wait until you see the "Safe to exit FSD", or whatever the hell it says, prompt. It works on anything that you can target. Again, it's just like exiting at a station... everything is just like exiting at a station.

As for your Sidewinder, it's the shittiest ship in the game. I wouldn't even waste my credits upgrading it, just buy something better as soon as you can afford it. While boring, trading is still the best way to simply make money. Buy a Hauler. Unless you're dead set on fighting, in which case buy an Eagle until you can afford a Viper.

Remember you're in this game for the long haul. It's going to take a while to get up to where you want to be. I only just tonight finally got upgraded to "Mostly Harmless".. lol. And my Cobra's probably worth about half a million credits. And I'm still a long way off from buying my Type-6, much less upgrading that.. that'll probably be close to two million before I'm done. And I don't even want to think about how much my Asp will cost... that's a ship I plan to keep long term, so it'll be fully upgraded in every category.

Haly

Viper moves like molasses compared to my Eagle.

The extra firepower and defense is great but goddamn it's slow. I can't imagine how much worse the big ships are.

Ended my night collecting 112k in bounties. It was good fun. But damn I need more money. I ended up back in Ho Hsi. Seriously contemplating a trip to Alliance space. Want to get into trading and smuggling so my goal over the next few days is to get enough for a ship that will allow me to turn a good profit.

What ships are people using?

Jedi2016

Does anyone else submit to interdictions intentionally? Ran into a few psychos (or whatever we're calling them.. the ones that just open fire as soon as they see you) and a couple pirates. They've found me not quite as soft a target as they anticipated.. hehe. The one tonight (Federal Dropship) netted me a bounty of around 45K.

Sinatar

Viper moves like molasses compared to my Eagle.

The extra firepower and defense is great but goddamn it's slow. I can't imagine how much worse the big ships are.

Get some A thrusters in there and it becomes a lot more nimble.

Shifty76

Ended my night collecting 112k in bounties. It was good fun. But damn I need more money. I ended up back in Ho Hsi. Seriously contemplating a trip to Alliance space. Want to get into trading and smuggling so my goal over the next few days is to get enough for a ship that will allow me to turn a good profit.

What ships are people using?

Currently flying a cobra with mostly class A/B equipment but may switch it out to a Type 6 again and run some trades as I REALLY want a tricked out python

@Jedi: Yeah, I usually submit as I like collecting the bounties, though I submitted a couple of times and it's just kicked me back into regular hypercruise.

red731

Dear commanders! Time flies fast af while playing this and listening to classical music!

I spend like 5 minutes getting out of one station's construction because I didn't know where to squeeze to land!
I saw metal only, total clusterfuck.

Love it.

The Destiny soundtrack has been working out really well as background music for the past hour or so. When undocking lines up with the start of a song, it's absolutely glorious.

Sarcasm

The Destiny soundtrack has been working out really well as background music for the past hour or so. When undocking lines up with the start of a song, it's absolutely glorious.

I think voice attack can help you queue songs, I really need to use it. Some guy patr Dr who when he jumps.

I notice there is an option called group play, this is with friends and acts like solo?

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness
Thrudd's site beats Slopey's BPC hands down in my opinion. The user interface is great, it does round trip calculations, shows more detail about the stations (including LS from the beacon) and it's a lot faster. I hope they get their registration issue sorted out soon so I can start uploading my stuff there instead.

Try this method:
http://www.elitetradingtool.co.uk/
-> Find Trades
Current location: Ho Hsi
Range: 60 Ly
Profit per ton: 1200
Landing pad size: whatever your ship needs

Click Search. This checks for profitable pairs within a 60 light year radius of your current location, so you can get an idea of the max ballpark.

Now click the Distance header to sort. This shows you the stations which are closest to each other which still satisfy your minimum profit criteria.

Another approach is to use the search to find the stations with the lowest prices on high value commodities and using those as the centre for 60/1200 and 40/1000 searches.

The trade route planner is fun too - if you start at a known good station, you can leave the endpoint as "any" and just wander the most profitable next hops from there.

So I gather from this thread that Ho Hsi is the place to be. I'm currently headed there from Kremainn — by far the longest trip I've taken so far.

So... what should I do when I actually get there? I have about 50k credits in cash.

Qasiel

Quick question about Bounty Hunting: I used a KWS on an NPC who registered as "Clean", but as it turns out, he had a 800 or so bounty on him. Anyway, I start firing on him (he was in a Sidewinder, so didn't take too long), and I immediately landed a bounty on myself for firing on him. I then killed him, the 800 bounty came up but then I was slapped with an 8000 bounty for "murdering" him. What gives? Did my KWS malfunction or something?

Quick question about Bounty Hunting: I used a KWS on an NPC who registered as "Clean", but as it turns out, he had a 800 or so bounty on him. Anyway, I start firing on him (he was in a Sidewinder, so didn't take too long), and I immediately landed a bounty on myself for firing on him. I then killed him, the 800 bounty came up but then I was slapped with an 8000 bounty for "murdering" him. What gives? Did my KWS malfunction or something?

He was clean in the system you fired at him in, hence why you picked up the bounty as according to their security he was innocent.

The KWS is really only useful on clean pilots when in anarchy systems where you don't need to worry about security. You can still use it on wanted pilots in democracies to increase their existing bounty though.

Qasiel

He was clean in the system you fired at him in, hence why you picked up the bounty as according to their security he was innocent.

The KWS is really only useful on clean pilots when in anarchy systems where you don't need to worry about security. You can still use it on wanted pilots in democracies to increase their existing bounty though.

Nice one, cheers for clearing that up!

Qasiel

What is Ksw? Also how do you exactly bounty hunts do you have to do some turn off crime against me thing?

KWS = Kill Warrant Scanner. It gets deployed with your hardpoints and you use it like a weapon to scan other spacecraft. It'll tell you if someone who has registered as "clean" actually has a bounty on them in another part of the galaxy.

If you find someone with a bounty, you can kill them, and you're then notified you've claimed the bounty and (usually) you won't get into trouble for it - just don't make the mistake I did by killing someone who was registered as "clean", turned out was "wanted" in another system and kill them in a regulated one, otherwise you get a bounty on you. You can then fly to a system belonging to the faction that placed the bounty on them (you find this by looking under your "Transactions" display) and claiming the bounty in a space station there.

Dougald

So I've almost got 7 million creds... whats a comfortable amount to have to get the ASP upgraded with the best FSD, etc? I actually really fancy an imperial clipper but I'm fed up with the grind and want to go explore the galaxy without worrying about money for a while, so the ASP it is..

Haly

I don't feel like the KWS is worth the time. I've scanned all my quarry for the last 140k CR. Out of that, I got maybe 20k Federation coupons, 10k Alliance coupons and 40k Empire coupons.

Sounds great, right? The problem is I can make more money farming Extraction sites than flying across the galaxy to cash in those non-Feddy coupons. My net gain from spending 10+ seconds before every encounter scanning someone down was... 20k.

Yeah, I'm not going to bother putting one on my Viper.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom