• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elite: Dangerous |OT| Every Man's Sky

Status
Not open for further replies.
Found a resource extraction site in a system near Ho Hsi.

Quite easy with filtering for extraction economy in the galaxy map.

Then checking to make sure there is a ring planet.

Then when you get there even if it's not on your navigation list, keep going to the ringed planet and it turns up.

Balatu

Been meaning to check that one out...maybe I'll do so later this evening.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Love my weapon setup atm:

Firegroup A
-Fixed strong beam laser
-Gimballed weaker beam laser

Firegroup B
-Fixed strong fragment canon
-Gimballed auto-canon

Sorted for basically everything.

Mixing weapon types and targeting types seems weird. Especially on Multi-Cannon and Frag Cannon. How does it work?

Shifty76

Love my weapon setup atm:

Firegroup A
-Fixed strong beam laser
-Gimballed weaker beam laser

Firegroup B
-Fixed strong fragment canon
-Gimballed auto-canon

Sorted for basically everything.

Bit odd, I have a 30K bounty to collect from federation but can't do it from this federation station...says no local bounty.

Is it definitely a fed station? You often get independent stations in a fed system.

The Warthog has so many buttons, my head! Gorgeous though and all of the buttons feel great to use. About to try hopping in, we'll see how it goes :p

Could I get some advice from DK2 users please? I've just installed mine and eventually got it working by messing around with extended desktops, primary monitors etc - my question is does anyone have any tips on getting Elite running best with Oculus?

My resolution is set 1024x768, is this the ideal res? Text is almost impossible to read. Any suggestions on tweaks to various settings would be hugely appreciated, thanks.

The ideal res is 1920x1080. You need to put it in extended mode and as secondary monitor. Did you do that ?

I can't launch combat training from the launcher, help?

Edit: The play button disappears as if it's about to launch but then it comes back and nothing has happened. Can launch the main game without issues.

Haly

1 jump from Ho Hsi

-Arigens star system

Dummer Orbital - empire. claim your bounties

Oh, this is really nice. I just need to increase my jump distance to make the trip.

I really wish the galaxy map filter was more powerful and robust.

The big problem for TradeDangerous is getting the data. It can pull from Maddavo, but the method for updating it is really clunky. You have to do your scan from EliteOCR, do the trade dangerous export (yields an import.prices file), upload that file with the Maddavo web interface, wait a few minutes for it to update, and then run
trade.py import --maddavo --option=stncsv --option=syscsv
to bring in the new station and prices to your local copy.

One thing that's tricky is getting it to do a repeatable loop. I built a little excel sheet to build the batch commands for me. In this example, I set the "--jumps" parameter to 7 which allows it to take up to 7 hops between stops, demonstrating that it tends to use the max because it doesn't account for time, just prices. Running an open-ended search from a start station, then running the inverse from the endpoint to get a return trip:

Maddavo is really short on data, so the results aren't as good as what could be retrieved from the other apps with much less time and effort. It's a useful tool set, it just needs a better data source. Ideally TradeDangerous would be able to pull from the BPC database.

It's interesting seeing all this play out. I support a bunch of data integrations for my job and the similarities are pretty funny. People are going to wind up writing usable market data feed systems and supply chain optimization programs just as a side effect of wanting a better tool for their hobby, lol.

Crazy. I've been researching while at work and it does seem pretty complicated at first but I bet you could come up with some pretty good scripts if the data was there.

That's the main issue I think I had with it at first, it's very few people that are entering the information compared to the other web interfaces based solely on usability.

Could I get some advice from DK2 users please? I've just installed mine and eventually got it working by messing around with extended desktops, primary monitors etc - my question is does anyone have any tips on getting Elite running best with Oculus?

My resolution is set 1024x768, is this the ideal res? Text is almost impossible to read. Any suggestions on tweaks to various settings would be hugely appreciated, thanks.

1920x1080 is what the Rift should be at. What's your monitor? Sometimes in Extended mode (best for running ED IMO) it will still mirror your other monitor's refresh rate. I sometimes have to drop my my main monitor to a lower res so I can up the RR to 75 (not all can do this). Play in the docking or asteroid training missions and use the slider for the Rift in the settings.

Also look around or just Google "change color of Elite dangerous text" and you'll find some helpful settings you can use to change the color of the text so it's easily readable.

Also, it helps in case Rift isn't displaying correctly, add this to your AppConfig.xml:

<StereoExtraDisplay>
<Enabled>true</Enabled>
<Monitor>0</Monitor>
<Width>720</Width>
<Height>810</Height>
<VSync>false</VSync>
<BehaviourIfStereoRenderDisabled>HideWindow</BehaviourIfStereoRenderDisabled>

This creates a window on your main monitor so you can see what the hell is going on in case your Rift acts up while tweaking settings.

I can't launch combat training from the launcher, help?

Edit: The play button disappears as if it's about to launch but then it comes back and nothing has happened. Can launch the main game without issues.

Did you download it? It is a separate download .. just askin!

Yes, it was the first thing I originally downloaded and played. Launcher is really buggy in general for me. Text filling the whole thing, icons disappearing, pictures flashing, etc.

Skyzard

Banned
Mixing weapon types and targeting types seems weird. Especially on Multi-Cannon and Frag Cannon. How does it work?

Separate buttons for both, that's why I split them into fire groups.

When their shields go down I switch from lasers to the kinetic ones and move in closer.

If they're not in my sights I can use the gimbals unless they chaff. Same for the lasers.
Otherwise I finish lining up and hit them with the stronger fixed weapons.

But this way, shields up or down, fixed sites or locking on, I can do some damage. And it doesn't waste bullets/heat build up.

-----canon is looking good but I want to find a nice fixed one.

Haly

Oh, I misread. I thought they were all in the same firegroup on different keys.

Yes, it was the first thing I originally downloaded and played. Launcher is really buggy in general for me. Text filling the whole thing, icons disappearing, pictures flashing, etc.

I downloaded the 'whole' thing in beta and have been updating, but I wonder if you have corrupt install of the training, can you just delete those files and redownload?

Saganator

Can anyone point me to where I can find an upgraded FSD for my Cobra? I have the stock (class 4, E rating), I can only find A and B rated FSDs which are too expensive. Looking for Class 4 D or C rating to be specific.

naeS

So I am going to start saving for a HOTAS. Should I get the X-52 Pro or the X-55?

I also have Windows 8.1 and I read some reviews about the drivers being awful, has anyone encountered problems?

Well, I deleted and reinstalled the combat training and now it works.

What did I accidentally flip on my warthog that would make my heat levels rise like crazy?

Haluko

Can anyone point me to where I can find an upgraded FSD for my Cobra? I have the stock (class 4, E rating), I can only find A and B rated FSDs which are too expensive. Looking for Class 4 D or C rating to be specific.

Best to hit a high tech economy. The one I hang out by is in Branglal. Cant remember the name of the station, but there is only one big station there.

RK9039

Finally got an Adder and a second seat when I look over to the left.

giphy.gif

I only had the Hauler for like half an hour.

I always hate button mappings for things other than controllers. Trying to find out how to reverse with the throttle set to the default forward only and it's listed as Joy 7 >_>

Dougald

Definitely, but you'll want at least a million extra to cover goods + insurance

No point in a type 6 if you can't afford to fill it up with lovely commodities

So I may have the money for a Type 6, worth it to upgrade to to start doing some major trading?

Yes. After a couple hours yesterday of distracted playing I went from 1.5m to just shy of 5m. It is extremely good at its job, cheap on fuel, fairly cheap on upgrades (1.6m for best FSD) and hitting a dock or two won't negate 30t of cargo profit.

Depending on your trading or if playing Solo or Open, ditch the weapons for a little less weight and upgrade to lighter components.

When I was running in Open I used best shields and upgraded hull, actually just kept them since my mass is way lower than the max right now. But 104 w/ shields is a great amount of space.

EDIT: Holy shit, the official forum is an absolute clusterfuck of whining. Avoid at all costs!

I always hate button mappings for things other than controllers. Trying to find out how to reverse with the throttle set to the default forward only and it's listed as Joy 7 >_>

Should be a click to toggle or something like that. Basically your throttle is push forward to increase forward thrusters, then hit the toggle and it's push forward to increase reverse thrusters. Although, with Flight Assist ON reverse isn't needed "all that much" outside of docking. if you have extras I just use an "up/down" pinky switch on my X55 as reverse/forward thrusters I utilize for docking and reversing in low speeds.

Wreav

Banned
I stop reading the ED forums a while ago. The average poster is about 10 years old with the grammar of a 5 year old.

I stop reading the ED forums a while ago. The average poster is about 10 years old with the grammar of a 5 year old.

Really? I've spent a fair chunk of time browsing their forums and it doesn't seem that way at all. Most people I've seen on there are respectful and understanding.

Wreav

Banned
Really? I've spent a fair chunk of time browsing their forums and it doesn't seem that way at all. Most people I've seen on there are respectful and understanding.

Both Reddit and GAF have devs that read and keep up with those communities, with much higher IQ per post ratios.

Man, I can't believe how much easier everything feels with the Warthog. Well, of course I knew it would but it really makes it feel like a completely different game. Can't wait to go through with my library on New Years when I have work off.

It hasn't been lately. Then again I'm in the "Dangerous" section where it's the general forum, which is usually always terrible.

Definitely, but you'll want at least a million extra to cover goods + insurance

No point in a type 6 if you can't afford to fill it up with lovely commodities

Yea turns out I didn't, I was reading old info/prices for it online. I picked up a Cobra though and have significantly increased my cargo space which will help me out for now!

Wreav

Banned
Just occurred to me that I probably have enough scratch to pick up a Type 6 tonight...but what's the point without a little insurance and cargo seed money...guess it'll have to wait till tomorrow or so.

Does anyone know off the top of their head what the base insurance cost of a Type 6 is?

Dougald

Yea turns out I didn't, I was reading old info/prices for it online. I picked up a Cobra though and have significantly increased my cargo space which will help me out for now!

If you trade religiously in a cobra you should get the cash together for a type 6 in no time

I got together enough creds for an ASP with 96 cargo and the advanced discovery scanner earlier. Still need to trade a few million for the fsd, but the runs I'm doing won't miss the loss of 8 cargo space. With the B rated fsd it has the same jump range, near enough, and now I can actually do some light exploring or bounty hunting on the side again. That 450k insurance cost is worrying though, glad I didn't overspend on mods.

What are people complaining about? I've never been on that site.

Don't. I've just been trying to find more information about ships and such and an ASP search lead me to a "Lost my ASP and didn't have insurance" post.

Basically, without going into too much detail the posts consist of

1) The game is too 'hand holding'
2) Solo players should be forced into Open play

And the counterarguments against them. I personally feel having the Solo AND Open option is great. The galaxy is big enough to where other players probably wouldn't cause me much trouble, but why take the chance? That "risk" doesn't make the game better for me. Losing hours of work because a dude decided to kill me after taking my cargo isn't "fun". It's pointless.

When I feel more capable of defending myself, I'll probably go back to Open but trading in a Type 6 with spendy cargo and no weapons makes me an easy target.

It's just one of those "You should play the game like I play the game" arguments. FD gave us options, people should choose how to use them.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Don't. I've just been trying to find more information about ships and such and an ASP search lead me to a "Lost my ASP and didn't have insurance" post.

And the counterarguments against them. I personally feel having the Solo AND Open option is great. The galaxy is big enough to where other players probably wouldn't cause me much trouble, but why take the chance? That "risk" doesn't make the game better for me. Losing hours of work because a dude decided to kill me after taking my cargo isn't "fun". It's pointless.

When I feel more capable of defending myself, I'll probably go back to Open but trading in a Type 6 with spendy cargo and no weapons makes me an easy target.

It's just one of those "You should play the game like I play the game" arguments. FD gave us options, people should choose how to use them.

Too handholding? Wut, is this coming from people who haven't played games in 30 years? If so, I can understand the sentiment, but this game is hardly handholding in today's market.

RK9039

Wow that's kinda lame.

I've been playing in solo mode from the beginning and haven't even touched Open Play, I'm just taking my time enjoying the game without anyone bothering me. And I barely do trading, I mostly hunt down NPC wanted pilots.

Again, not saying that's the "whole forum" but just this past hour there's been a few closed threads that constantly are just about the PVP/PVE issue. It's just annoying when I'm trying to find some information and get sucked like a bug to a light to these terrible arguments .... but at least the moderators are locking a lot them.

You know the threads that people make

*Look at a forum*

Driveclub is pretty great
Driveclub is pretty not great

Hrm ... I should make a thread about how Driveclub is pretty not great while great at the same time!

Sorry for the rant, lol!

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
EDIT: Holy shit, the official forum is an absolute clusterfuck of whining. Avoid at all costs!

I still scan it every now and then, but yeah it's really full of negativity. I expect it will calm down as the whiners come to terms with what the game is and isn't and they stop expecting to get every desire of theirs instantly gratified. There is some good info there but it's buried by the vocal complainers.

On another note I did a few hours of mining for the first time today, I kind of enjoy it. However, it's kind of slow as a credit maker. Trading is far faster to accumulate credits. Even bounty hunting is faster, plus it's more fun too (more dangerous of course though). Still it's a nice change of pace from space trucking and I could see myself fitting a mining laser and refinery and playing in the asteroids from time to time. For now though I exchanged the modules for racks again and gone back to trading so I can buy an A5 FSD for my Asp.

Dougald

Have you guys really had that many issues with other players to avoid solo mode? I've had nothing but good experiences and enjoy chatting with random commanders. Unlike say eve online, where I felt that I was cut off from going to any kind of insecure space by other players

I do wish players would enter the docking bay on the correct side though, I'm going to get pasted one of these days... So maybe that's reason enough to switch to solo!!

JINYX

Neo Member
That "risk" doesn't make the game better for me. Losing hours of work because a dude decided to kill me after taking my cargo isn't "fun". It's pointless.

Honestly I don't think it's even a risk. I've never had an issue with other players at all and I've been playing in Open Play constantly doing trading. It's possible I'm just lucky, and I'm sure griefers exist, but it for the most part seems like this community is actually fairly great currently.

It's obviously your prerogative to play how you like, don't matter to me. Personally I wish more players were around as I keep hearing stories about people getting interdicted and giving up some of their cargo to the pirate and it sounds sorta fun to me and adds to the immersion.

Too handholding? Wut, is this coming from people who haven't played games in 30 years? If so, I can understand the sentiment, but this game is hardly handholding in today's market.

Clearly, the game should lack any visual cues as to anything going on, since you should really be able to rely solely on the audio to play the entire game.

Eyeballs are just a gimmick created to cater to today's casual losers who just can't appreciate a good game.

Have you guys really had that many issues with other players to avoid solo mode? I've had nothing but good experiences and enjoy chatting with random commanders. Unlike say eve online, where I felt that I was cut off from going to any kind of insecure space by other players

I do wish players would enter the docking bay on the correct side though, I'm going to get pasted one of these days... So maybe that's reason enough to switch to solo!!

Honestly I don't think it's even a risk. I've never had an issue with other players at all and I've been playing in Open Play constantly doing trading. It's possible I'm just lucky, and I'm sure griefers exist, but it for the most part seems like this community is actually fairly great currently.

It's obviously your prerogative to play how you like, don't matter to me. Personally I wish more players were around as I keep hearing stories about people getting interdicted and giving up some of their cargo to the pirate and it sounds sorta fun to me and adds to the immersion.

Nope. Killed the player the one time I got Interdicted and got away the next. That was in the Cobra. I'm now in a type 6 with no weapons to do a heavy grind. It's just not worth that 1/1000 chance. Because that 1/1000 chance can set me back hours and hours.

Once I can defend myself in an ASP? Sure, I'll jump in. I just barely had enough time with xmas break and now that the "holidays" are over it's back to regular work schedule and the time to play this game will be like most other games ... I'll talk about it more than I'm able to play it.

Since early September I've only played Open and just started "Solo" the past 4 or so days. It really comes down to this:

Choice 1) Here is a really fun game, enjoy it.
Choice 2) Here is a really fun game, enjoy it, oh, and you may get killed by some random dude.

For now, the "risk" and the "immersion" just isn't a good enough argument for me to risk hours of my personal time. My time is more important than anything, and to give the chance to some random player to take that away just doesn't seem "fun" at this point in the game for me.

I'm not against PVP, played WoW, Aion, Warhammer, etc when they launched. But the penalty is too severe for me to leave that all up to other players. And it could be completely unfair. There could 4 Vipers waiting at a jump point and you're dead before you even try anything. It's not that it "has" happened, it's that it "could" happen and take away tons of hours I've invested.

I'm old, I'm not hardcore, I just like to fly around in space and maybe shoot some shit every now and then. If true PVP is what you crave, there are games for that. This game isn't even really designed around it. It's just an option.

Nope. Killed the player the one time I got Interdicted and got away the next. That was in the Cobra. I'm now in a type 6 with no weapons to do a heavy grind. It's just not worth that 1/1000 chance. Because that 1/1000 chance can set me back hours and hours.

Once I can defend myself in an ASP? Sure, I'll jump in. I just barely had enough time with xmas break and now that the "holidays" are over it's back to regular work schedule and the time to play this game will be like most other games ... I'll talk about it more than I'm able to play it.

Since early September I've only played Open and just started "Solo" the past 4 or so days. It really comes down to this:

Choice 1) Here is a really fun game, enjoy it.
Choice 2) Here is a really fun game, enjoy it, oh, and you may get killed by some random dude.

For now, the "risk" and the "immersion" just isn't a good enough argument for me to risk hours of my personal time. My time is more important than anything, and to give the chance to some random player to take that away just doesn't seem "fun" at this point in the game for me.

I'm not against PVP, played WoW, Aion, Warhammer, etc when they launched. But the penalty is too severe for me to leave that all up to other players. And it could be completely unfair. There could 4 Vipers waiting at a jump point and you're dead before you even try anything. It's not that it "has" happened, it's that it "could" happen and take away tons of hours I've invested.

I'm old, I'm not hardcore, I just like to fly around in space and maybe shoot some shit every now and then. If true PVP is what you crave, there are games for that. This game isn't even really designed around it. It's just an option.

This is how I feel, but I do know once the systems are in for wingmen and the like, I will most likely play more Open. This is my first true space sim (minus some X, and EVE) with a HOTAS so I'm still getting used to everything, and being set back hours by people that are far better at the game than me doesn't sound fun, yet. I will say I hope this game can really get some legs, build on the fantastic foundation, and become better for it.

Sarcasm

So..dunno how I got to a station but I can't jump..target is too far >.<

Every thing next to me is can't jump or w/e to 60 tons or something..I have nothing in my cargo..

**Was trying to get to a place in tool said was closest but I don't even think I can make it..its like 18.6ly and I see now routes to it on map. So how can I trade (using a tool) if everything else is further than ship can jump? I am not making any money since no quests at any of the random 15ish stations I been to I can do.

game is getting boring fast

Xanezz

Banned

Every thing next to me is can't jump or w/e to 60 tons or something..I have nothing in my cargo..

**Was trying to get to a place in tool said was closest but I don't even think I can make it..its like 18.6ly and I see now routes to it on map. So how can I trade (using a tool) if everything else is further than ship can jump? I am not making any money since no quests at any of the random 15ish stations I been to I can do.

Is your target too far when you try to jump to another system?
FSD's have a maximum fuel consumption per jump (0.6T per jump for some, that's prob what you meant), upgrade your FSD and/or plan your route differently in the map. Using the map to calculate the route for you is pretty much the best way of doing trade as it'll calculate your max jump distance with cargo.
Don't forget you can search for "economical" and "fastest" routes in the view tab of the map screen.

I'd assume it's probably impossible that the system you're jumping to can only be reached by a 18LY jump. Sometimes you can't reach certain systems when your jump distance is rather low (speaking sub 10ly; upgrade your FSD, it doesn't really get that expensive until you get into higher quality ratings)

Shifty76

You got in but can't get out? What did you change? What system & ship are you in?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom