• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elon Musk buys Twitter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hosam6xavi

Banned

He's a fucking leftist that's why

I'm a Saudi and i hope Elon buy Twitter and kick everyone out and go private so he can stop them from banning every person who doesn't agree with their stupid woke agenda

Everyone on saudi Twitter against him .. Elon musk is our boy

QMfrdP4.jpg

His offer is pretty crazy.

Happy to be educated on fiduciary duties, but his bid is around 9 billion dollars over the share price. Twitter stock has been pretty ho hum for a decade. It’s hardly a money spinner.

In short, I really can’t see any reasonable financial argument for rejecting the offer. Again, happy to be educated, but a board’s responsibility is solely financial.
I'm interested in this as well. Most of what I've heard suggests that Twitter either has to sell, or face a likelihood of their stock dropping which could easily lead to lawsuits. And I guess other cases will be viewed as a precedent, but how much legal defense can "we could sell for a large profit now, but we THINK the stock might do better in the future" actually buy you? Couldn't anyone say that about any stock?

I'd be very interested in hearing the details about some older cases that dealt with this situation.

I'm interested in this as well. Most of what I've heard suggests that Twitter either has to sell, or face a likelihood of their stock dropping which could easily lead to lawsuits. And I guess other cases will be viewed as a precedent, but how much legal defense can "we could sell for a large profit now, but we THINK the stock might do better in the future" actually buy you? Couldn't anyone say that about any stock?

I'd be very interested in hearing the details about some older cases that dealt with this situation.

It's crazier.

In the picture in Elon's tweet from Q4 '21 Twitter's buying price was $30 meaning he's $24.20 higher so it's suicide for the board and company to ignore their fiduciary duty to their shareholders.

So let me get this straight... twitter employees feel their culture of inclusivity threatened, yet they are the ones throwing an absolute temper tantrum for needing to accommodate a part Canadian part South-African U.S. billionaire visionary with Asperger's who made electric cars viable and single-handedly saved the American space program because he sometimes makes tweets they don't like?

The NYT trying to smear Tesla while propping up twitter shows how journalism's dependence on social media is resulting in some severely biased views. Yet again, we can see that their notion of inclusivity is nothing more than a lousy pretext to gatekeep and to bully certain demographics out of key positions.

Shady Arab oil tycoons with not a care in the world for basic human rights literally own large parts of twitter, yet NYT is quiet like a mouse about that. F*cking hypocrites.

How are they smearing Tesla when in fact Tesla has cultural issues that they are getting class actioned over? It is a legitimate question if you are not a yes man.

Otherwise your other points are spot on.

How are they smearing Tesla when in fact Tesla has cultural issues that they are getting class actioned over? It is a legitimate question if you are not a yes man.

Otherwise your other points are spot on.
Who cares? I’m sorry, but in a country where our government can’t build a goddamn railroad without spending $154 million a mile, if a guy can build a damn electric car company out of nothing and make it work, I think a handful of whiners can go fuck themselves. And if that same guy builds spaceships, I think a few hurt feelings is a pretty decent trade off. You can’t make everyone happy.

Last edited:

FunkMiller

So let me get this straight... twitter employees feel their culture of inclusivity threatened, yet they are the ones throwing an absolute temper tantrum for needing to accommodate a part Canadian part South-African U.S. billionaire visionary with Asperger's who made electric cars viable and single-handedly saved the American space program because he sometimes makes tweets they don't like?

The NYT trying to smear Tesla while propping up twitter shows how journalism's dependence on social media is resulting in some severely biased views. Yet again, we can see that their notion of inclusivity is nothing more than a lousy pretext to gatekeep and to bully certain demographics out of key positions.

Shady Arab oil tycoons with not a care in the world for basic human rights literally own large parts of twitter, yet NYT is quiet like a mouse about that. F*cking hypocrites.

Man, you and I butt heads on other shit, but on this?

Schitts Creek Agree GIF by CBC

ManaByte

Gold Member
Who cares? I’m sorry, but in a country where our government can’t build a goddamn railroad without spending $154 million a mile, if a guy can build a damn electric car company out of nothing and make it work, I think a handful of whiners can go fuck themselves. And if that same guy builds spaceships, I think a few hurt feelings is a pretty decent trade off. You can’t make everyone happy.
I think we should give all of those people a free ride on one of Elon’s spaceships directly into the sun.

ntropy

it's stunning how some are so afraid of Elon merely restoring Twitter to a prior state lol
or perhaps they're afraid of the unscrupulous moderation practices and/or hierarchical mechanism of promoting tweets that he intends to make transparent

Um I’m pretty sure they can make electric cars and avoid getting sued over having a systematically bad culture at the company. So many others do it.

You have weird excuses man.

Last edited:

Keihart

If twitter rejects Elon's offer, wouldn't that make it's shares go down? I'm just talking out of my ass, but maybe, this is like a 5Head move from Elon, an option select if we use fighting games lingo.
If the offer is rejected he can just buy his way at a lower price pontentially, people may be more inclined to sell even if the price goes down, no?

(i rarely use twitter, but this is such a meme situation that i can't look away)

Last edited:

BigBooper

A few potential outcome could involve one or more of the following:

Twitter board rejects his offer, causing the stock price to tank.
Shareholders sue the company board for not fulfilling their fiduciary obligations.
Elon sells his shares, causing the stock price to tank.
Shareholders are able to vote on whether to accept the offer or not.
The company accepts his offer, making all of the shareholders money.

Amiga

What if I told you, it's not about the money in this case.
He's a fucking leftist that's why

I'm a Saudi and i hope Elon buy Twitter and kick everyone out and go private so he can stop them from banning every person who doesn't agree with their stupid woke agenda

Everyone on saudi Twitter against him .. Elon musk is our boy

FWIW it is about money in this case. Nobody takes the 1st offer. Surly not we Saudi. Haggling could get him an extra billion while he sits on his couch binging Ramadan shows.

They’re afraid of him unbanning someone

They act like they are stopping the summoning of Sauron or something.

Dr.Guru of Peru

played the long game
It's crazier

In the picture in Elon's tweet from Q4 '21 Twitter's buying price was $30 meaning he's $24.20 higher so it's suicide for the board and company to ignore their fiduciary duty to their shareholders.

yeah, that’s not how price targets work.

Last edited:

Thirty7ven

Banned
It’s bad, just like Bezzos WP is bad, but who knows maybe this means Twitter will actually start being a communication channel that represents the population and not a manufactured bubble where small groups look like they compose the majority of the population.

Last edited:

Boss Mog

Musk 2024?!
Pretty sure he can't run because he wasn't born in the US or even registered as a US citizen born abroad at birth; he's an immigrant.

If I were Elon, this would be the greatest day of my life. Imagine being endorsed by one of the greatest Americans alive today. A mind as sharp as his can't be dulled even at 91. Crazy that he doesn't have the blue check mark; I wouldn't be surprised if he purposely rejected it as a badge of honor though.

Pretty sure he can't run because he wasn't born in the US or even registered as a US citizen born abroad at birth; he's an immigrant.

If I were Elon, this would be the greatest day of my life. Imagine being endorsed by one of the greatest Americans alive today. A mind as sharp as his can't be dulled even at 91. Crazy that he doesn't have the blue check mark; I wouldn't be surprised if he purposely rejected it as a badge of honor though.
There's no blue check mark, because that's not him. "I'm not Thomas Sowell, but I own all of his books and tweet quotes from them. All tweets are direct quotes"

Well, I guess not ALL tweets, then. Most, though.

tommib

Gold Member

71cYGdf.jpg

Ionian

Where are they though, these magical vehicles?

Have you bought one?

I hope so. I spaceship I mean.

The cars are proving to be shoddy and expensive.

SaniOYOYOY

Can he, you know, move the entire thing into web3 and publicize it again via blockchain?

I mean if he want to avoid censorship and centralize control, might as well go all the way

Um I’m pretty sure they can make electric cars and avoid getting sued over having a systematically bad culture at the company. So many others do it.

You have weird excuses man.
Yeah, I’m pretty sure I just don’t care about a handful of whining employees at one of the most successful American companies in my lifetime. Also, show me even a moderately comparable electric car company that isn’t propped up by the sale of gas powered vehicles. You won’t be able to.

I love people who are completely ignorant who say “I’m sure they can do it”. Isn’t that easy for you to say? Of course no one else has done it. Because you’re sure they can.

But who cares anyway. FEELINGS ARE HURT!

If Musk buys Twitter, I want him to make it compulsory that for the staff to keep their jobs, they need to go visit the starving, famine ridden areas of Africa, to see what real struggle is.

Loki

Count of Concision
In this era of unprecedented corporate activism, I anticipate Twitter "going to the mattresses" over this to prevent a Musk takeover up to and including smear campaigns and trying to erect a new legal framework for preventing such takeovers in the future, as current law does not provide Twitter with a mechanism to deny the purchase. In these last couple of years especially, activism has somehow superseded fiduciary duty and maximizing profits as the primary driver of corporate behavior. And that should scare the HELL out of everybody, as it is a quantum leap forward for the emerging corporatism which we all know has been building for the last 20 years behind the scenes in the form of political donations and corruption. These companies now no longer feel the need to even feign apoliticism - they now boldly show their face in public. We've allowed these companies to amass untold riches to the point where they've now become political leviathans, actuated by current causes celebres and unbeholden to the traditional democratic checks on power, which are reserved for actual governments. Unfortunately, these companies are on the way to becoming governments in all but name.

This is not the only example, either - see Disney's recent push to fight DeSantis' law preventing gender identity/sexual orientation education in children under 9 years old and Apple's national push to counter any law restricting access to hormone replacement therapy and other gender transition services for minors. I don't even have to cite any of the innumerable examples animated by "woke" ideology as it pertains to race. The fact that most of the causes these corporations take up are extremely niche or at the very least are supported by only a small minority of the general public, combined with these companies' enormous cultural and political influence and the lack of effective mechanisms for checking that influence (as would be the case for an actual gov't), is a recipe for disaster. To be clear, it is not the "rightness" or "wrongness" of their specific positions which concerns me - it's that they're acting as political animals in the first place. It's very dangerous and undermines of our system of government for a variety of reasons.

EDIT: Put a paragraph break in for those with short attention spans.

Last edited:

RoboFu

One of the green rats
Elon saving the world, politically, climate wise, pushing us faster into a globally higher tech future, and the leftist are always pushing angainst him being super hypocrital. I hope he never tires of it.

Ionian

In this era of unprecedented corporate activism, I anticipate Twitter "going to the mattresses" over this to prevent a Musk takeover up to and including smear campaigns and trying to erect a new legal framework for preventing such takeovers in the future, as current law does not provide Twitter with a mechanism to deny the purchase. In these last couple of years especially, activism has somehow superseded fiduciary duty and maximizing profits as the primary driver of corporate behavior. And that should scare the HELL out of everybody, as it is a quantum leap forward for the emerging corporatism which we all know has been building for the last 20 years behind the scenes in the form of political donations and corruption. These companies now no longer feel the need to even feign apoliticism - they now boldly show their face in public. We've allowed these companies to amass untold riches to the point where they've now become political leviathans, actuated by current causes celebres and unbeholden to the traditional democratic checks on power, which are reserved for actual governments. Unfortunately, these companies are on the way to becoming governments in all but name. This is not the only example, either - see Disney's recent push to fight DeSantis' law preventing gender identity/sexual orientation education in children under 9 years old and Apple's national push to counter any law restricting access to hormone replacement therapy and other gender transition services for minors. I don't even have to cite any of the innumerable examples animated by "woke" ideology as it pertains to race. The fact that most of the causes these corporations take up are extremely niche or at the very least are supported by only a small minority of the general public, combined with these companies' enormous cultural and political influence and the lack of effective mechanisms for checking that influence (as would be the case for an actual gov't), is a recipe for disaster. To be clear, it is not the "rightness" or "wrongness" of their specific positions which concerns me - it's that they're acting as political animals in the first place. It's very dangerous and undermines of our system of government for a variety of reasons.

Massive wall of text with a 'last edited 7 minutes ago.

Dude no one will read it. What was it like before the edit?

He's officially hit Voldemort levels of hate on there.

been deleted

In this era of unprecedented corporate activism, I anticipate Twitter "going to the mattresses" over this to prevent a Musk takeover up to and including smear campaigns and trying to erect a new legal framework for preventing such takeovers in the future, as current law does not provide Twitter with a mechanism to deny the purchase. In these last couple of years especially, activism has somehow superseded fiduciary duty and maximizing profits as the primary driver of corporate behavior. And that should scare the HELL out of everybody, as it is a quantum leap forward for the emerging corporatism which we all know has been building for the last 20 years behind the scenes in the form of political donations and corruption. These companies now no longer feel the need to even feign apoliticism - they now boldly show their face in public. We've allowed these companies to amass untold riches to the point where they've now become political leviathans, actuated by current causes celebres and unbeholden to the traditional democratic checks on power, which are reserved for actual governments. Unfortunately, these companies are on the way to becoming governments in all but name. This is not the only example, either - see Disney's recent push to fight DeSantis' law preventing gender identity/sexual orientation education in children under 9 years old and Apple's national push to counter any law restricting access to hormone replacement therapy and other gender transition services for minors. I don't even have to cite any of the innumerable examples animated by "woke" ideology as it pertains to race. The fact that most of the causes these corporations take up are extremely niche or at the very least are supported by only a small minority of the general public, combined with these companies' enormous cultural and political influence and the lack of effective mechanisms for checking that influence (as would be the case for an actual gov't), is a recipe for disaster. To be clear, it is not the "rightness" or "wrongness" of their specific positions which concerns me - it's that they're acting as political animals in the first place. It's very dangerous and undermines of our system of government for a variety of reasons.
try reading this and try again

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, I’m pretty sure I just don’t care about a handful of whining employees at one of the most successful American companies in my lifetime.

Also, show me even a moderately comparable electric car company that isn’t propped up by the sale of gas powered vehicles. You won’t be able to.
Every single car company in the world right now, except Tesla isn’t having to pay huge fines with more to come for having a toxic culture.

I love people who are completely ignorant who say “I’m sure they can do it”. Isn’t that easy for you to say? Of course no one else has done it. Because you’re sure they can.

But who cares anyway. FEELINGS ARE HURT!

Yea easy for me to say, but Tesla is the only one having these problems. I don’t know what your deal is, but you are just wrong. You make no logical sense.

Last edited:

ManaByte

Gold Member
been deleted

They're now putting *** in place of letters of his name. They do that so their harassment and brigading doesn't show up in Twitter searches and so that they can skirt Twitter's rule against targeted harassment.

It was director Edgar Wright doing it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom