• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elon Musk buys Twitter

Status
Not open for further replies.

RAÏSanÏa

a416235fcfa2a076431c96d3076b9f81.gif

Looking forward to any response.

Elysion

Banned
While he certainly won‘t complain if he makes money from this, I doubt Musk is doing this strictly for profit at this point. He‘s the richest man in the world; whatever money he could make from Twitter wouldn’t really matter in the grand scheme of things. Just like when Jeff Bezos bought the Washington Post, this isn’t about money, but influence and power. If you’re rich enough to own anything you want, buying your way into power is more alluring than buying yet another yacht or mansion.

Dr.Guru of Peru

played the long game
It’s far, far more profitable for Elon to focus on Tesla and SpaceX than some hypothetical pump and dump scheme. His current Twitter holdings are trivial.
I’m pretty sure Musk would do it for the luls. Making an extra billion bucks along the way in this pump and dump would be gravy.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member

Yes, all while saying they are “fighting the systemic tide.”

Tribalism mired in cognitive dissonance decline sure is a fascinating phenomenon.

Like I say about all their hollow virtue, don’t step out of the cult’s narrative, or they will vilify you in a heartbeat. History is repeating itself seemingly at the moment.

Last edited:

FunkMiller

Does anyone actually care if Elon comes in and fucks Twitter into the ground?

Because at this point, I’d actively encourage him to do it. Destroy it.

The howls of rage, pain and suffering from across the Twitter sphere would frankly be glorious. They’d all have to... gasp… do something else.

type set GIF

haxan7

Banned

The howls of rage, pain and suffering from across the Twitter sphere would frankly be glorious. They’d all have to... gasp… do something else.

type set GIF
He’s not gonna burn it to the ground tho

He’s not gonna burn it to the ground tho

If he gets it he won't let it burn. It will get the enema it sorely needs but it won't burn to the ground.

The Dems will promptly remember Section 230 though.

On the other hand if the board does not sell to Elon...

Dirk Benedict

Gold Member
Notably, Twitter was actually ok with me posting the image lol. Zuck is just a cuck.

He comes off as perpetually fake. I assume that is why he has an adhesive meme; that he's a fucking robot or of an advanced reptilian race that have no emotion.
His eyes are that of a soulless, heartless log, nay, scratch that, a fucking tree log has more character, personality than he does.
He also is balls deep into Xi's spy regime and adores the way he runs the Country.

type set GIF
I would like nothing more than for him to turn the ship around and Twitter punish those who truly deserve it and actually follow through with their guidelines instead of sidestepping shit because of bias. Or? obliterate it. Remove it from existence and buy a ad slot for 30 seconds or a minute and show Live, Musk deleting all of Twitter.

FunkMiller

I would like nothing more than for him to turn the ship around and Twitter punish those who truly deserve it and actually follow through with their guidelines instead of sidestepping shit because of bias. Or? obliterate it. Remove it from existence and buy a ad slot for 30 seconds or a minute and show Live, Musk deleting all of Twitter.

Elon is historically a centrist… and I believe that if he were to own Twitter (big if) that its rules and guidelines would properly reflect that position.

And therefore, it’d probably grenade itself.

Because Twitter is powered by those with politically and socially extreme views, and they are all going to hate it if Twitter does not ‘back them up’.

Imagine the trans lobby or the religious right, if nothing is done to stop opinions that they don’t agree with. They’ll have nervous breakdowns… and then fuck off somewhere worse, cursing Elon’s name.

Now, that might actually make Twitter a far better place, but it would also hurt its bottom line, no doubt. It relies on division and rage to succeed, because Jack is a cunt, and made it that way.

Last edited:

Ogbert

Gold Member
His offer is pretty crazy.

Happy to be educated on fiduciary duties, but his bid is around 9 billion dollars over the share price. Twitter stock has been pretty ho hum for a decade. It’s hardly a money spinner.

In short, I really can’t see any reasonable financial argument for rejecting the offer. Again, happy to be educated, but a board’s responsibility is solely financial.

Dirk Benedict

Gold Member
Elon is historically a centrist… and I believe that if he were to own Twitter (big if) that its rules and guidelines would properly reflect that position.

And therefore, it’d probably grenade itself.

Because Twitter is powered by those with politically and socially extreme views, and they are all going to hate it if Twitter does not ‘back them up’.

Imagine the trans lobby or the religious right, if nothing is done to stop opinions that they don’t agree with. They’ll have nervous breakdowns… and then fuck off somewhere worse, cursing Elon’s name.

Now, that might actually make Twitter a far better place, but it would also hurt its bottom line, no doubt. It relies on division and rage to succeed, because Jack is a cunt, and made it that way.
It is very concerning that we agree on this, especially the bolded.

Say Musk buys Twitter with the intention of making a profit, and not losing billions out of his pocket for the lulz. How would he do it? How could he make Twitter profitable and keep it free and open? Would the edit button be hid behind a premium option? What would his plan be to replace those who left the platform because of Musk? How would he grow it?

Or, does he know that the whole Social Media and tech industry is built on a house of cards and he's about to turn on a jet engine?

Chaplain

That’s exactly it. They have ZERO coherence. Let me repeat, ZERO.

Bingo. Discontinuity is one of the fruits of relativism.

"Relativism would indeed be devastating if it were true, but relativism is always inconsistent, and relativists always cheat at some point. They relativize the views of others, but not their own. ("Well, of course, you’d see it that way. You’re a Westerner/middle class/older generation.") They relativize the past, but not the present. They relativize us, but not themselves. Their relativism is always an escape, but not a solid position that can be examined. ("I was born that way. We're wired differently. It's a generational thing. You wouldn't understand.")" (Scholar Os Guinness)

Fake

Gold Member
I wonder if they’ll try to cancel and demonize Elon. I guess it would be hard without the mainstream media on their side.

Just by telling the behavior of majority of Twitter we can determine how that place became what it is.

Can't say about media taking sides (will vary, they're opportunists), but we can expect things like 'opinions' or 'Forbes contributor' articles.

So let me get this straight... twitter employees feel their culture of inclusivity threatened, yet they are the ones throwing an absolute temper tantrum for needing to accommodate a part Canadian part South-African U.S. billionaire visionary with Asperger's who made electric cars viable and single-handedly saved the American space program because he sometimes makes tweets they don't like?

The NYT trying to smear Tesla while propping up twitter shows how journalism's dependence on social media is resulting in some severely biased views. Yet again, we can see that their notion of inclusivity is nothing more than a lousy pretext to gatekeep and to bully certain demographics out of key positions.

Shady Arab oil tycoons with not a care in the world for basic human rights literally own large parts of twitter, yet NYT is quiet like a mouse about that. F*cking hypocrites.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom