• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elon Musk's Neuralink: Gaming Revolution or Dangerous Experiment?

I'm nobody

I've been thinking about Elon Musk's Neuralink project a lot lately. The idea of a brain implant that could enhance our gaming experiences is both exciting and a bit terrifying.
If Neuralink were to develop a gaming console that could be implanted into the brain, would you be willing to try it?
Imagine being able to experience games in a whole new way, feeling every sensation, taste, and smell. It could be like living inside a virtual world.
But on the other hand, there are serious concerns about the potential risks and ethical implications. Could it lead to addiction or even brain damage?
What are your thoughts? Would you be willing to take the leap?

Everything was a dangerous experiment until they did it often enough to be routine. For example the death rate from childbirth was once 1 in 3.

Brain machine interface is something that was always going to happen. Just as the Internet and Robots are known before they existed. It is a necessary technology to truly solve nerve injuries and brain damage. There is no point trying to restrict research as long as the participants are willing, and there are many desperate paraplegics who would do ANYTHING to have some kind of way to stop being trapped in their own bodies.

Look, just as people used to be scared of Mobile Phones, and going back there was a fear that Radios can cause whatever illness, the fear that tech can kill you had always been there. But brain implants is something on the tech tree that was always on the cards, and just because it is hard doesn't mean we shouldn't work on it. The benefits are too big to ignore.

Davevil

Outside of his social posts/political views and cybertruck, we got starlink which is very useful, tesla, space exploration, the tunnels? No one is perfect and while messing with the human brain can be extremely dangerous as most of it is uncharted territory, it could revolutionize a lot of things, for better or worse.
it's something more on the skin, Musk really seems like the prototype of a mega ultra bad guy, who at a certain point can turn for the worse
I know, I know they're all my mental disorders

Its initial applications have nothing to do with gaming.

However, it's inevitable humans will continue to merg with tech and there'll be a whole lot of unimaginable results.

Last edited:
People cheering on the idea of some shit implanted into their brains is mind-boggling, literally.

Wake up, for fucks sake.
MBkSLg6.jpeg

StueyDuck

I've been thinking about Elon Musk's Neuralink project a lot lately. The idea of a brain implant that could enhance our gaming experiences is both exciting and a bit terrifying.
If Neuralink were to develop a gaming console that could be implanted into the brain, would you be willing to try it?
Imagine being able to experience games in a whole new way, feeling every sensation, taste, and smell. It could be like living inside a virtual world.
But on the other hand, there are serious concerns about the potential risks and ethical implications. Could it lead to addiction or even brain damage?
What are your thoughts? Would you be willing to take the leap?
All technology is scary at first until it'd demoed, don't think I'd wanna play neurolink games but if it can help me with my golf game I'm there. Struggling to break 80 (probably never will)

The technology is going to happen, the question is whether musk should be first or inevitably ccp China.

As tiktok proves you don't want the latter.

mdkirby

everything Musk does lately worries me
A lot of the people responsible for advancing mankind have been pretty fucked up personally. It seems to go hand in hand. It tarnishes, but certainly doesn’t negate the incredible things he’s doing.

As for neuralink, yeah sure I’ll get one, but I’ll 100% not be an early adopter. It’ll be my retirement plan, like the retirement homes in futurama.

Guilty_AI

Every new piece of technology has downsides. There's no point in being afraid of them, we'll deal with its problems when we get there

Natsuko

Outside of his social posts/political views and cybertruck, we got starlink which is very useful, tesla, space exploration, the tunnels? No one is perfect and while messing with the human brain can be extremely dangerous as most of it is uncharted territory, it could revolutionize a lot of things, for better or worse.

Starlink can certainly be viewed critically. A considerable number of the satellites up there are now Starlink. That's not necessarily a good thing. Especially with someone like Musk on board. A lot of power in private hands.

Starlink can certainly be viewed critically. A considerable number of the satellites up there are now Starlink. That's not necessarily a good thing. Especially with someone like Musk on board. A lot of power in private hands.

I doubt hes going to go Dr. Robotnik on our asses but who knows.

People cheering on the idea of some shit implanted into their brains is mind-boggling, literally.

Wake up, for fucks sake.
Just as someone with functional legs would laugh at the idea of cybernetic limbs and call them monstrous.

You are not going to stay healthy forever. Everyone gets old. You will be glad one day that you get the option to maintain body function that you previously had no access to.

Guilty_AI

It's honestly still better than in the hands of a government. I shudder thinking what the EU would do if they had full control of something like the neuralink

RCX

For the people its currently intended for (ie quadriplegics) I'd say its nothing but a positive. Listened to and read lots of interviews with the first recipient and it seems to have been a massive plus for him.

If in time it turns more games into multiplayer cheat-fests (which is where i'd see its obvious draw) then it'll just be the next logical step in the ridiculous arms race we're already in. The fact that people cheat in games is something that baffles me already so the thought of the same dipshits implanting things in their brains to achieve the same result doesn't seem like too much of a leap.

StereoVsn

It’s good tech for disabled folks. It’s also a nightmare shit considering some of the applications sci-fi novels and shows have had for years.

Imagine mandatory chipping for safety of society and then all kinds of “fun” stuff can happen.

XXL

Yes, I would get one in the future, as long as its safe.

But, it wouldn't be for gaming or any current disability.

Natsuko

It's honestly still better than in the hands of a government. I shudder thinking what the EU would do if they had full control of something like the neuralink
Just a reminder: Elon Musk is the man who recently offered a child to a pop star, who writes publicly about how nobody is trying to assassinate Kamala Harris or Joe Biden and who has lost advertisers because of Nazi propaganda. I'd rather not think too much about his image of women when he calls a potential future president of the USA by her first name and the current president by his surname.

The EU is not a government. It is a confederation of states. If I have the choice between a questionable private individual with countless gaffes and unbelievable amounts of money or the EU, the choice is easy. The EU. Not everything the EU does is good and far too many companies have long had far too much influence in politics. But it won't get any better if we give individuals and companies even more power.

Elon Musk is many things, but certainly not a philanthropist.

You can argue about some of the things the EU does. But it still makes decisions in the interests of its citizens. Some changes in the games industry are ultimately also thanks to the EU.

We can already see today where it can lead if too few companies hold too much power. Nestle, Danone and Coca Cola are prime examples. We live in a time where small farmers are threatened with lawsuits because they are supposed to be growing the wrong potato varieties. A handful of companies are so powerful that they determine the planet's food supply. Governments are not perfect. But in a functional state, it is not a single person who makes decisions, but many people. There are supervisory authorities that can intervene and ultimately courts. Majorities are also needed in the EU.

There has already been controversy surrounding starlink in the past. Among other things, it was about the role in the Ukraine war and the question of whether Starlink was intentionally out of action at times. Will it be possible to prove this? Difficult. We may never get a reliable answer to such questions. Apart from that, Starlink is also being increasingly criticised by space agencies because of the sheer mass of satellites, which not only have advantages but also disadvantages.

Neuralink has hardly any patients with the implant so far. But there has already been some controversy here too. From animal testing to questionable transparency. Will the end result really be that good? Only time will tell.

And let's not start with Tesla. There are currently more negative reports than anything else. Elon Musk and his work should be viewed critically and not cheered without a second thought. Since Musk no longer pays a PR team to make him look good in public, you can clearly see what a difficult person Musk is.

Guilty_AI

Just a reminder: Elon Musk is the man who recently offered a child to a pop star, who writes publicly about how nobody is trying to assassinate Kamala Harris or Joe Biden and who has lost advertisers because of Nazi propaganda. I'd rather not think too much about his image of women when he calls a potential future president of the USA by her first name and the current president by his surname.

The EU is not a government. It is a confederation of states. If I have the choice between a questionable private individual with countless gaffes and unbelievable amounts of money or the EU, the choice is easy. The EU. Not everything the EU does is good and far too many companies have long had far too much influence in politics. But it won't get any better if we give individuals and companies even more power.

Elon Musk is many things, but certainly not a philanthropist.

You can argue about some of the things the EU does. But it still makes decisions in the interests of its citizens. Some changes in the games industry are ultimately also thanks to the EU.

We can already see today where it can lead if too few companies hold too much power. Nestle, Danone and Coca Cola are prime examples. We live in a time where small farmers are threatened with lawsuits because they are supposed to be growing the wrong potato varieties. A handful of companies are so powerful that they determine the planet's food supply. Governments are not perfect. But in a functional state, it is not a single person who makes decisions, but many people. There are supervisory authorities that can intervene and ultimately courts. Majorities are also needed in the EU.

There has already been controversy surrounding starlink in the past. Among other things, it was about the role in the Ukraine war and the question of whether Starlink was intentionally out of action at times. Will it be possible to prove this? Difficult. We may never get a reliable answer to such questions. Apart from that, Starlink is also being increasingly criticised by space agencies because of the sheer mass of satellites, which not only have advantages but also disadvantages.

Neuralink has hardly any patients with the implant so far. But there has already been some controversy here too. From animal testing to questionable transparency. Will the end result really be that good? Only time will tell.

And let's not start with Tesla. There are currently more negative reports than anything else. Elon Musk and his work should be viewed critically and not cheered without a second thought. Since Musk no longer pays a PR team to make him look good in public, you can clearly see what a difficult person Musk is.
Why did you make an entire dissertation on Elon Musk because i said "governments tend to be cunty".

Last edited:
Reactions: RCX

The Fartist

Gold Member
Sometimes i feel like musk is on drugs. Anyways this tech needs more refinement.
That's such a broad statement. Which Drugs? There are hundreds, if not thousands, and depending on what category, they do vastly different things to the mind. I know he's said he's used therapeutic ketamine, which is used to treat of depression, anxiety, PTSD, end-of-life distress, chronic pain, drug/alcohol problems. He puffed a blunt on JRE a couple of years ago, or so, but, he didn't inhale. It was obvious to anyone who even just smokes cigarettes, let alone cannabis, that he didn't inhale, which is how you get high.

I don't know, I'm indifferent towards the guy, he does come off as a weird asshole sometimes, though. I'm neither a fan, nor a detractor.

Natsuko

That's such a broad statement. Which Drugs? There are hundreds, if not thousands, and depending on what category, they do vastly different things to the mind. I know he's said he's used therapeutic ketamine, which is used to treat of depression, anxiety, PTSD, end-of-life distress, chronic pain, drug/alcohol problems. He puffed a blunt on JRE a couple of years ago, or so, but, he didn't inhale. It was obvious to anyone who even just smokes cigarettes, let alone cannabis, that he didn't inhale, which is how you get high.

I don't know, I'm indifferent towards the guy, he does come off as a weird asshole sometimes, though. I'm neither a fan, nor a detractor.

If you look at his many social derailments, this could also be an indication of autism. Probably a form of high-functioning autism. If he is autistic. To my knowledge, nothing like this is known. But that would also explain a lot about him. But it doesn't excuse it. We can't make diagnoses from the outside anyway. Whether drugs or disability or character. But as an autistic person, I have often wondered whether his behaviour comes from autism.

Whatever the reason for his many questionable statements may be, I find him very difficult as a person.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
It's the same case as big pharma's greed produces better vaccines.

Neurolink seems weird but could possibly help millions of people in the future.

Then eventually it will become a simple procedure people can get that cures everything for deafness, quadriplegics to amputees.

IAmRei

I wont tweak with my brain, and .... And only god knows how they will inject ads ...

Thanks, i dont want to see ads directly into my mind...

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
If he gave someone the ability to talk or walk again. He would be considered a legend. Maybe the whole gaming aspect of it all is small compared to what’s possible.

I wouldn’t unless it did something else for my body. If I was mangled beyond recognition then sure. Let’s do it.

Last edited:

Natsuko

I think it would be stupid to have brain surgery just to get gud at gaming.

Stupid, perhaps. But will that stop some people? There was a time when lobotomy was thought to be a great thing. Rosemary Kennedy is probably the most famous example of this (sadly). Moniz and Hess won a Nobel Prize for it. Where an offer is made, there are usually a few customers. Or take the people who wanted to go to the Titanic in that questionable submarine. There's always someone. There are probably a few gamers who want one of these things if they think it will be beneficial.

MiguelItUp

It's wild how some people are all concerned about their privacy online among other adjacent topics, but then can be for something like this. Personally I'm not a fan. I feel like the only way I would be is if implants could help society for the better for a number of reasons. I already hate where we're at with Tik Tok, content creators, streamers, etc. I'm really not excited to see where it all goes next. I find it pretty concerning, lol.

Bernoulli

M2 slut
All that is done by engineers
And his posts prove that he is dumber than a potato

Kataploom

Gold Member
Well, people were complaining about the Logitech subs-based gaming mouse, now imagine the fuck up if your brain starts losing "features" because you forgot to pay your neural implant sub that month, even the ones you already had "because of TOS" or whatever. Now imagine you're the pilot of that Boeing 747 or they surgeon of that surgery.

Last edited:

IAmRei

"you will play concord" "you will play concord" "you will like concord"
Dang, i remember old game, shadow something, cyberpunk themed, i think its from older game as well, and also i think its EA(?) the game is about mind linking to network. Its FPS game and The story is kind of awesome at the time. I played that on my friend and i forgot what game is it.

Edit: i think its syndicate

Last edited:
Top Bottom