• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Emma Stone playing an Asian-American in 'Aloha' is bizarre as fuck.

Status
Not open for further replies.

JeTmAn81

If this is a Latina, then I guess Emma Stone can play an Asian:

Bledel1.jpeg

Bledel1.jpeg

Situations aren't even remotely similar. Hispanic isn't a race, and there is a huge variety in the ethnic backgrounds of hispanic people. Some of whom like the one you post are almost completely European in ancestry. This doesn't translate at all when you talk about other races.

Noomi Rapace isn't part Asian.
Yeah but she looks more mixed-Asian than Emma Stone does.

That's if we're going by looks, not if they're actually so IRL regardless of looks. Like for example some people wouldn't think Giancarlo Esposito is half-Italian, yet he is.

Zoe

I think that Emma Stone is probably the only major white actress who could look vaguely Eurasian, but the casting is still bizarre. Why can't they just find a half-Asian woman? I'm sure there are plenty Eurasian actresses who could do the role well.

Seriously? She really doesn't have any of the common facial structure, let alone her complexion or coloring.

Hmm, is it part of the story at all? I might be able to buy it if her heritage is supposed to be a surprise or the story is some how about not looking the way people expect you to. Otherwise, yeah....

Also, all you people that had no idea Keanu Reeves was Asian at all are weird and make me think you have some kind of exaggerated or overly specific idea of what Asian/Pacific people look like. Also, his name is freakin' Keanu for crying out loud.

Busty

Banned
Have her be adopted and yet she fully embraces her family's culture.

That already opens up the film to all sorts of interesting themes that I'm willing to bet aren't there.

BOOM.

I just fixed that for you.

You're welcome Rothman.

Rothman.

She could have at least dyed her hair black and wore brown contacts. Those are considered dominant traits when it comes to genetics.
Like my wife is asian and I'm white and we're totally expecting our baby to have black hair and brown eyes like her when he's born in August. I have brown hair and blue eyes.

I thought this too, but, my daughter has light brown hair and hazel eyes, and my wife is Japanese, while I am white but have dark brown hair and brown eyes. Go figure.. (my mom has bright blue eyes, if that can explain anything)

The Adder

Banned
Holywood white-washes the fuck out of Asian Americans. It's astounding. Like "if you're not practicing ancient martial arts then GTFO. And if you are, GTFO, we want Asian Asians."

otapnam

Holywood white-washes the fuck out of Asian Americans. It's astounding. Like "if you're not practicing ancient martial arts then GTFO. And if you are, GTFO, we want Asian Asians."

Doctor
IT / nerd / hacker
hot Asian woman
kung fu dude

Only ones allowed

Valhelm

contribute something
Seriously? She really doesn't have any of the common facial structure, let alone her complexion or coloring.

I was just thinking about her appearance in comparison to Eurasian people I know personally. Emma Stone looks very different from most white women, and in my opinion her eyes, cheekbones, and jawline are similar to that of some Eurasian people.

But that being said, this is still really bad casting.

That already opens up the film to all sorts of interesting themes that I'm willing to bet aren't there.

BOOM.

You're welcome Rothman.

Rothman.

It's funny you've made a Cameron Crowe film MORE Cameron Crowe than Cameron Crowe.

The quick plot synopsis:

While revisiting the site of his greatest career triumph, a military contractor (Bradley Cooper) unexpectedly falls for the hard-nosed Air Force watchdog (Emma Stone) assigned to him while simultaneously reconnecting with his ex (Rachel McAdams).

GTFO. I'd have a very hard time believing Emma Stone made it through basic.

I've seen the billboards for this and thought Emma Stone looked cute (as I always do), but had no idea she was playing an Asian or Hawaiian person.

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
Doctor
IT / nerd / hacker
hot Asian woman
kung fu dude

Only ones allowed

Pretty much. A few more stereotypes that would commonly be cast as asian:

short, annoying loud guy
old hermit weirdo/sage
assistant scientist to the top hot blonde scientist

JDSN

Banned

Bledel1.jpeg

Was Emma Stone born in Hawai the same way Alexis Bedel had argentinean parents?

Christ. And thats the thing, she doesnt play hispanics characters last time I checked. Just because some of use look pretty white doesnt mean that all interpretation of latinos in movies should follow the same pattern under that excuse, but whatever, this movie failed, just like Exodus and im sure that movie of Egyptian Gods will fail too, with Gerard Butler as Set, Jaime Lannister as Horus and Geoffrey Rush as Ra, I cant wait to hear the excuse people will use to defend that one. "Oh, they are Gods so they can look any way they want" "Why does the Gods that brown people praise cant be white? Jesus was white too! Stop being so racist"

Meanwhile Furious 7 breaks 1.5 Billions and a samoan from Canada is leading the box office.

NumberTwo

Paper or plastic?
I'm not surprised in the least. It is times like these where I'm not sure if America influences Hollywood or vice versa. What does it say about a country or industry when you resort to ridiculous casting choices like this on a regular basis because you automatically assume "well, audiences just won't relate any other way!"? PoC have been watching white actors for decades and while we have always pushed for more inclusion, the insistence of white protagonists alone has rarely put us off of a movie, except in cases such as these (white washing).

Are you kidding? seriously?
cause I'm dying here LMAO

in what movie she did played the role of a latina

Real Life isn't a film. Her parents grew up in South America. She's from Houston, Texas.

I'd reason that there are quite a few Latino/Latina people in those areas.

~Devil Trigger~

In favor of setting Muslim women on fire
It's so fucking gross how Hollywood acts like Asians don't exist. But when it comes time to appropriate Asian culture, they white wash the fuck out of it. Smfh

they gotta know kung fu

it wouldn't a problem if Tilda Swinton was casted
roll eyes

Anas

Banned
Real Life isn't a film. Her parents grew up in South America. She's from Houston, Texas.

I'd reason that there are quite a few Latino/Latina people in those areas.

yeah I get it, no need for telling me that three time Gaf (&)

isn't she the actress who played the lead role in Gilmore Girls? can't remember her name but since that show ended.. her movies a total flop

Cagey

Banned
The picture in the OP kills me. It's the perfect picture for this fuckery.

I mean...

171659.png

Is that just a still shot put into a wonderful new context, or did she actually make that face for a bad bad reason in the movie?

I'm not surprised in the least. It is times like these where I'm not sure if America influences Hollywood or vice versa. What does it say about a country or industry when you resort to ridiculous casting choices like this on a regular basis because you automatically assume "well, audiences just won't relate any other way!"? PoC have been watching white actors for decades and while we have always pushed for more inclusion, the insistence of white protagonists alone has rarely put us off of a movie, except in cases such as these (white washing).

Well, perhaps we'll see that change a bit in the future. I think the huge success of a movie like Furious 7 in the international market with its multiracial ensemble cast might convince executives in Hollywood that hiring non-white actors to be not such a risky deal. Will likely be a slow process though.

JeTmAn81

Guys, with the Alexis Bledel thing I was saying that stereotypes don't define a person's background, not that being Hispanic/Latino is the same as being Asian or anything like that. "You don't look black/Asian/etc. enough" is just as harmful as "You don't look white enough", IMO.

otapnam

I mean...

171659.png

Is that just a still shot put into a wonderful new context, or did she actually make that face for a bad bad reason in the movie?

She always laughs like that but i wouldn't be surprised they are using it to push a lil believability

stilgar

I mean...

171659.png

are you kidding me. She's just SMILING.

How this is not apparent for you is pretty disturbing.

OMG THIS IS SO DISPERECTFUL

Guys, with the Alexis Bledel thing I was saying that stereotypes don't define a person's background, not that being Hispanic/Latino is the same as being Asian or anything like that. "You don't look black/Asian/etc. enough" is just as harmful as "You don't look white enough", IMO.

Yes but that doesn't make any sense within the context here. It's one thing to tell a biraial person that they don't look asian or white enough, but what's wrong with saying that someone who isn't asian at all that they aren't asian?

We'll it's not like POC have a choice. It's either put up with white protagonist or don't watch TV/movies at all.

Razmos

she portrays Allison Ng: an aggressively peppy Air Force fighter pilot of Chinese-Hawaiian-Swedish decent who falls for an existentially angst-y military contractor played by Bradley Cooper.
Good lord.

spookyfish

BOOM.

You're welcome Rothman.

Rothman.

Rothman's so bad he retroactively effs up movies in Sony's pipeline before he was even hired.

Tagline for Spider-Man reboot-reboot: "Amazing Spider-Man wasn't so bad now, was it?"

Cagey

Banned
are you kidding me. She's just SMILING.

How this is not apparent for you is pretty disturbing.

OMG THIS IS SO DISPERECTFUL

Quoting my own post, note the bold.

Why the second part? Well, I wouldn't put it past Hollywood to make an insensitive and tone-deaf joke about Asians in a movie. Crazy, I know. It's more tongue-in-cheek ridiculing than actually thinking they had her make a goofy ass racial caricature facial expression in the movie, but there's always the small chance it happens.

kaioshade

It is a bit irritating to see people make a fuss about that. I am mixed and dont look a DAMN THING like people would expect. "oh youre mixed, i dont see it", neither do i.

So by saying mixed ethnicity has to look a certain way is a bit insulting.

pj

Banned
Blue eyes, blonde hair, tall and narrow nose, distinct caucasian eye shape and eyelid folds?

If she were even the great grandchild of an mixed race conception a hundred years ago, it's highly unlikely that anyone would have that kind of hereditary consistency of features.

The only way I'd believe it is if they told me that her ancestors came to China as Protestant missionaries in the mid-1800's, had children, who then migrated to Hawaii in their lifetimes, had kids, and then for the next hundred+ years only reproduced with Caucasians.

This is 50 years of inter-racial mingling:
62ea99a36aa33fa82769235a7ed0420c.png

I'm now anti race mixing because it apparently gives everyone demon eyes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom