• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Emma Stone playing an Asian-American in 'Aloha' is bizarre as fuck.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matty77

Not trying to derail, and it's only tangentially related, but this threads topic, and the post about insanity reminded me of the latest Cracked.com podcast which is about Hollywood and stereotyping, especially reliance on "positive" stereotypes and how that can be counter productive.

vio

gYPmtuC.jpg

Nnnggggg

Guys, with the Alexis Bledel thing I was saying that stereotypes don't define a person's background, not that being Hispanic/Latino is the same as being Asian or anything like that. "You don't look black/Asian/etc. enough" is just as harmful as "You don't look white enough", IMO.

But what you're saying doesn't apply in this context. If Emma Stone looked the way she did, but was in fact part Asian, then there would be less controversy here. And yes, I would argue your alleged point that if obviously Emma Stone can look the way she does while being Asian, then she absolutely is a fair casting choice regardless of whether she looks "Asian enough" to some people.

However, with the situation at hand, she not only doesn't look remotely Asian even though she plays a character where that aspect is featured prominently in the plot, but she literally isn't even Asian. So again, why the insistence on 1) casting Emma Stone or 2) making it such a crucial part of the character or 3) like a GAFfer already suggested, why not just make her adopted and be done with it? Or are we going to start defending the casting of Mickey Rooney as a Japanese man in Breakfast at Tiffany's as being okay, too? (even if he wasn't acting like a caricature)

Toothless

On Topic: That really really doesn't make sense. There is no world or amount of mental gymnastics that make Emma Stone Asian by any fraction. I don't understand why Crowe couldn't have just changed her last name & added more Hawaiian natives.

Emma Stone to play Fiona in live-action Shrek revisionist movie?

Hollywood is so far gone I wouldn't be surprised if their casting for the inevitable Linsanity movie went something like this:

Zach Effron as Jeremy Lin
Keegan Michael Key as JR Smith
Kevin Nash as Tyson Chandler
Channing Tatum as Landry Fields
Dennis Quaid as Mike D'Antoni
Steve Harvey as Mike Woodson
Tyrese as Harvard coach Tommy Amaker
Kobe Bryant as himself
and featuring Ryan Gosling as Carmelo Anthony

Linsanity. Coming to a theater near you in 2017. Rated PG-13.

jeremylin_jerrylynch.jpg

The character is half-Japanese, half-Chinese.
But they couldn't have picked a more silly way to give Lucy Liu her 'believability'. It's like the casting agent thought 'people can't tell the difference' and then someone told them later 'yes they can'.

Incidentally don't get me started on calling katanas "Samurai swords". Uggh.

Ah right, I forgot about that :v

But they couldn't have picked a more silly way to give Lucy Liu her 'believability'. It's like the casting agent thought 'people can't tell the difference' and then someone told them later 'yes they can'.

Not only that. Uma spoke better Japanese. lol

But what you're saying doesn't apply in this context. If Emma Stone looked the way she did, but was in fact part Asian, then there would be less controversy here. And yes, I would argue your alleged point that if obviously Emma Stone can look the way she does while being Asian, then she absolutely is a fair casting choice regardless of whether she looks "Asian enough" to some people.

However, with the situation at hand, she not only doesn't look remotely Asian even though she plays a character where that aspect is featured prominently in the plot, but she literally isn't even Asian. So again, why the insistence on 1) casting Emma Stone or 2) making it such a crucial part of the character or 3) like a GAFfer already suggested, why not just make her adopted and be done with it? Or are we going to start defending the casting of Mickey Rooney as a Japanese man in Breakfast at Tiffany's as being okay, too? (even if he wasn't acting like a caricature)

Why cast Hilary Swank in Boys Don't Cry? Because she is a gifted actress who can PRETEND TO BE SOMEONE SHE IS NOT.

For all of the controversy, I would be willing to bet that Emma Stone will be the most bearable part of the movie.

Not that it came up in conversation a lot, but I don't recall people in Japan referring to them as "katanas" very often either.

No no no no no no no. Uma's Japanese was some of the worst pronunciation I've ever heard. Physically painful to listen to.

Ke0

Orin Ishii's character was fine as was Lucy, at least it was MUCH better than Emma Stone in this movie. And it also helps that Lucy's character is insulted and disrespected in Japan because she's not full Japanese nor does she look it. Where as in Aloha no one says a thing.

It's really a bad comparison through and through.

Not at all mate. Uma was cringeworthy but that's to be expected. Definitely didn't speak it better than Lucy who is a polyglot and is at conversationalist level in Japanese.

G.O.O.

My two cents : look at my profile pic. That's me, and I'm half vietnamese.

I also have a friend like this...

YoungHav

Banned
Lost it @ The Last NG on Earth.
Hollywood is so far gone I wouldn't be surprised if their casting for the inevitable Linsanity movie went something like this:

Kobe Bryant as himself

lmao!! hahahaha. This needs to happen so badly.

cdyhybrid

Kobe Bryant as himself

I met a black dude who totally looked white once, so I don't see anything wrong with this.

Why cast Hilary Swank in Boys Don't Cry? Because she is a gifted actress who can PRETEND TO BE SOMEONE SHE IS NOT.

For all of the controversy, I would be willing to bet that Emma Stone will be the most bearable part of the movie.

You're absolutely right. That's why Hollywood has traditionally cast fewer minority characters in leading roles (even when those leading roles are based on minority characters). It's because white people are obviously better at PRETENDING TO BE PEOPLE THAT THEY ARE NOT.

k.

linsivvi

Isn't it a Rom-Com? Emma has done a hell of a rom-com in Crazy, Stupid, Love.

I think the CD casted based on genre and name recognition and didn't consider to talk to the screenwriters about how they should handle writing the biracial plot point into the plot.

There's only one screen writer, and it's the director himself. You don't think Cameron Crowe has input on the casting of the lead actress? It's a conscious choice by him.

Cameron Crowe must've been pissed off by how he was treated in Hawaii sometime

It's the only explanation for all of this madness!

linsivvi

Did he have Tom Cruise, Cuba Gooding Jr., or Kate Hudson have racially ambiguous character names relevant to cultural plot points?

He swung and missed here. I'll still rewatch Say Anthing, Cam.

It hurts because Cameron Crowe used to be one of my favorite directors. Everything he was involved in up to Almost Famous were great, then he did that unnecessary Hollywood adaptation of an European movie and ever since then all his original works sucked.

Maybe he needs to spend another year in high school again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom