• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Emo Music |OT| Non-Conforming as Can Be

kiguel182

Yeah! I really like it. I like it more than Spotify I think....

I went from Spotify to Apple Music to and I like the latter much more. From the interface to the fact that adding your own stuff is super seamless.

Also, I hated the focus Spotify placed on playlists. Apple Music gives the right importance to albums. The new redesign also seems like it will fix some of it's problems.

Also part 2: new Owen song: https://chorus.fm/news/owen-settled-down/

Don't let this thread die!

blackjaw

Not directly emo (or emo at all haha), but this happened last night.

Very sad to see Bane go but they went out with a super set for two hours...complete madness and all the bands were amazing and so stoked to be there.

klCPVrW.jpg

Saw Modern Baseball Friday in Cincinnati. Think I enjoyed Joyce Manor's set more, but Mobo were still great. Wish they played more of Brendan's side from their new album, but still a great show.

Holy cow was the crowd annoying, though. My wife is pregnant so we ponied up for the VIP section of the venue so she could sit if she needed to (funnily enough the only other people there was another couple that was pregnant). We went down on the floor for about 1/4th of Mobo's set and all around us people were just staring at their phones scrolling through Facebook, Twitter, Snapchat whatever.

Granted near the stage everyone was really into it as I would have expected.

Maybe I'm just old but lord it was frustrating and distracting.

Very sad to see Bane go but they went out with a super set for two hours...complete madness and all the bands were amazing and so stoked to be there.

klCPVrW.jpg

I initially only heard of Title Fight through their Hyperview album. So Shed was pretty jarring lol

the1npc

Saw Modern Baseball Friday in Cincinnati. Think I enjoyed Joyce Manor's set more, but Mobo were still great. Wish they played more of Brendan's side from their new album, but still a great show.

Holy cow was the crowd annoying, though. My wife is pregnant so we ponied up for the VIP section of the venue so she could sit if she needed to (funnily enough the only other people there was another couple that was pregnant). We went down on the floor for about 1/4th of Mobo's set and all around us people were just staring at their phones scrolling through Facebook, Twitter, Snapchat whatever.

Granted near the stage everyone was really into it as I would have expected.

Maybe I'm just old but lord it was frustrating and distracting.

Went to the toronto show, surprisingly barley and phones out, lots of movment and crowd surfing.

kris.

Banned

aww man i came to post this

little over halfway through my first listen and i adore this

klCPVrW.jpg

did Ceremony play any early stuff? not a big fan of anything they've done since Rohnert Park, wish they'd go back to that powerviolence shit. so good. i saw them with Titus Andronicus 2 years ago and the whole crowd was there for Titus and i'm pretty sure none of them knew who Ceremony was so it was like culture shock when they ended their set with the Ruined EP.

blackjaw

aww man i came to post this

little over halfway through my first listen and i adore this

did Ceremony play any early stuff? not a big fan of anything they've done since Rohnert Park, wish they'd go back to that powerviolence shit. so good. i saw them with Titus Andronicus 2 years ago and the whole crowd was there for Titus and i'm pretty sure none of them knew who Ceremony was so it was like culture shock when they ended their set with the Ruined EP.

Ceremony was awesome, such high energy, a great mix of old and new, mostly old because of the crowd and who they were supporting (Bane). They played a few off old ones Scared People EP, Still Nothing Moves you, and Violence Violence. The new stuff they did play (zoo and newer) was actually decent...it was mesmerizing how they mixed it in with the older hardcore stuff and nothing was out of place.

kris.

Banned
not the most emo thing on the planet buuuuuuuut

touche amore announced a new album today after their brief hiatus and released a new song and uhhh

it's amazing

It's super fucking good!

I'm liking how they're doing new stuff while keeping it 100% pop-punk. Like Paid In Brains is weird and I wasn't sure about at first but...yeah it's rad as hell

conversely, i loved paid in brains on first listen. only song i'm kinda iffy on right now is promised land but i'm sure it'll grow on me. the whole album is kinda weird af for a pop punk album but dammit it's so great

conversely, i loved paid in brains on first listen. only song i'm kinda iffy on right now is promised land but i'm sure it'll grow on me. the whole album is kinda weird af for a pop punk album but dammit it's so great
They played Promised Land at Fest so I'd already had time for it to grow on me. It's rad

kris.

Banned
now that i've gotten a number of plays through Wasted Mind, i gotta say. this might be my AOTY. this album is perfect. so fucking fun and catchy. direct hit can do no wrong smh buncha jerks

Yeah new Direct Hit! fuckin rules. Almost reminds me of The Clash at some points which is both unexpected and awesome. Fat Wreck really is the best label going right now.

Yo jhonny moving back to Houston this weekend. Any good shows coming up in the next while?

The next couple months here aren't gonna be too good. Really not much. A lot of shows are skipping Htown, that aren't necessarily emo too, and just going to like Austin or Dallas

blackjaw

Cheers dude I didn't know about that, just ordered now! Always been put off by the mental prices of the original releases

Edit:

Holy shit The Promise played that Bane gig? didn't even know they were back together haha

Yeah man, think they are playing limited gigs...so good too, so much energy

nowarning

Yeah man, think they are playing limited gigs...so good too, so much energy

Awesome man, listened to Believer on the way to work this morning off the back of that post, haven't heard it in years! I still have that and My True Love on CD somewhere, and a small size jumper that probably doesn't fit anymore haha

blackjaw

Awesome man, listened to Believer on the way to work this morning off the back of that post, haven't heard it in years! I still have that and My True Love on CD somewhere, and a small size jumper that probably doesn't fit anymore haha

I pulled out Believer when I was driving to that show a few weeks back and I started wishing they made more music; that lp stands the time test, it was years since I'd listened to it last. I saw them once in 2004 and can say they were just as strong as they were back then, just much much older (then again so am I haha).

olympia

last year they were dropping a shitload of hints during shows, that they're done, with Jesse breaking into tears and saying shit like "I have a baby girl...we're not gonna be 40 and still doing this"

they'll probably still be making music but brand new is for sure ending

tbh if an official release of a leak bootleg isn't a sign of the end times idk what is

kris.

Banned
At this point I've accepted that their time as a band is coming to an end. Just give me that last album!!

So glad I got to see them this year before they hang it up for good.

i mean yea i fully expect it to happen in the near future but didn't one of them say a week ago or so that they weren't in an interview?

also they're in town tomorrow night and i'm broke and i've never seen them live and life is dumb

blackjaw

Not going to lie, the only album I like by Brand New was 'Your Favorite Weapon'.

I saw them in 2002 at a tiny club with maybe 50-75 people and they were amazing, everyone had such a great time and the band hung out with everyone after their set to see the rest of the performers which was real chill.

Then Deja whatever came out I hated it and dropped them from my 'bands I like' and never really looked back or pursued their later music. Glad to see they had some relative success but I just couldn't get over the style change.

Jake.

clicked this thread by accident: crazy to see the bane flyer, that's a great lineup and one i would have blown a load over when i was younger. i dropped out of hardcore (still edge though) a long time ago now, but bane were my favourite band from about 17-21 and i thankfully got to see them in 2005 during the height of my fandom. coincidentally i also saw title fight last year on a whim and they weren't bad, although i much prefer turnover.

edit: are any of the promise even vsxe anymore? i knew buske sold out years ago.

blackjaw

clicked this thread by accident: crazy to see the bane flyer, that's a great lineup and one i would have blown a load over when i was younger. i dropped out of hardcore (still edge though) a long time ago now, but bane were my favourite band from about 17-21 and i thankfully got to see them in 2005 during the height of my fandom. coincidentally i also saw title fight last year on a whim and they weren't bad, although i much prefer turnover.

edit: are any of the promise even vsxe anymore? i knew buske sold out years ago.

Yeah I'm 34 now and I was def in the median age group; I haven't been to a hardcore show in...god...years. Most of the young kids were there for title fight and they cleared out after; the older crowd was late 20s to late 30s with some pushing into their 40s...so it wasn't awkward at all. I got my first Bane cd in 1996 so it was a bitter sweet show.

Anderson (singer of the promise) was talking in between songs about how we might have heard that not all members were sxe anymore. Most of his talks between songs were about volunteering/helping your local communities, family, picking up friends, etc. Much changed from when it was all about clean lifestyle, sxe, vegan etc. Super fun set!

Haven't checked in this thread for a while, and I see lots of PUP and Camp Cope love, fuck yeah!

The PUP album is so good i can't even believe it. The first half got me straight away, but the second half grew on me big time. There's not a single dud song, it's incredible. I can't believe they actually released an album better than their first, I didn't think it'd be possible.

"You wanna know if I'm still a prick, WELL I AAAAAAAM!"

kiguel182

I know it's not emo but just read some dude said he teared up during one of the new blink songs and I don't even know how that's possible. I feel I listened to a different record from everyone else.

akileese

The most Brand New thing to do would be to do a summer 2016 tour, release their new album after said tour, and then immediately break up.

Actually I take that back, it would be doing a summer tour, saying they're going to release a new album, breaking up, and then not releasing it.

I love Tom so I guess you can take my opinion of new Blink with a grain of salt.

I tried to like it but man it is just bad. California is Feldman going for the radio so hard and it feels so uninspired. It really misses Tom. For some reason GAF is weirdly so against Tom. Most other places are coming around that this album is kinda fun at best but they are realizing how much Tom meant to Blink.

I like AVA more anyway than Blink. I feel like I am one of the few. Idk why but Angels & Airwaves just clicks with me.

I know it's not emo but just read some dude said he teared up during one of the new blink songs and I don't even know how that's possible. I feel I listened to a different record from everyone else.

This is fucking ridiculous :lol

kiguel182

I love Tom so I guess you can take my opinion of new Blink with a grain of salt.

I tried to like it but man it is just bad. California is Feldman going for the radio so hard and it feels so uninspired. It really misses Tom. For some reason GAF is weirdly so against Tom. Most other places are coming around that this album is kinda fun at best but they are realizing how much Tom meant to Blink.

I like AVA more anyway than Blink. I feel like I am one of the few. Idk why but Angels & Airwaves just clicks with me.

This is fucking ridiculous :lol

Yeah, this album is too much of "this will play well on the radio". And that's not what I want from Blink, especially in 2016. So formulaic.

And yeah, Tom was the risk taker of the band. He isn't perfect but at least he tried different things.

This new record is great for people who are nostalgic for old Blink and I just don't like nostalgia bait. At all.

Top Bottom