• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Emo Music |OT| Non-Conforming as Can Be

kiguel182

Also, I think some songs on the record are fun and catchy but as a whole it just doesn't work. It's too much "na na na" and "oh oh oh" and it's too long. Some songs here would be great as one off singles or something but yeah, not a great album.

Seeing 40 year olds trying to recapture their twenties is not a great look anyway.

Yeah, this album is too much of "this will play well on the radio". And that's not what I want from Blink, especially in 2016. So formulaic.

And yeah, Tom was the risk taker of the band. He isn't perfect but at least he tried different things.

This new record is great for people who are nostalgic for old Blink and I just don't like nostalgia bait. At all.

If you look at any Blink interview after they release Enema, Tom is already getting bored. They originally didn't want Take Off to be the the way it turned out. Like the label made him write First Date. Mark was more okay with it.

Then when they got to writing their self-titled album Tom was pushing for something different and then when Travis took his side Mark finally gave in. I don't have anything against Mark but I just think the want from Tom to do something different and move forward is stupid.

I hate in general when bands make the same album twice or move backwards. One reason why I love TWIABP so much because they aren't afraid to mix things up and change. Look at where they started in their discog to where they are now.

kiguel182

If you look at any Blink interview after they release Enema, Tom is already getting bored. They originally didn't want Take Off to be the the way it turned out. Like the label made him write First Date. Mark was more okay with it.

Then when they got to writing their self-titled album Tom was pushing for something different and then when Travis took his side Mark finally gave in. I don't have anything against Mark but I just think the want from Tom to do something different and move forward is stupid.

I hate in general when bands make the same album twice or move backwards. One reason why I love TWIABP so much because they aren't afraid to mix things up and change. Look at where they started in their discog to where they are now.

TOYPAJ was always my least favourite record of theirs for how derivative it was and having 30 year old man singing about high-school was dumb.

Like, if Mark wants to write catchy and formulaic pop-punk songs I mean, more power to him but it's just not going to appeal to me. And if I want that type of music this new Blink record isn't where I'm going to search for it.

One of the things I didn't like Tom saying since the return was he was writing a song "for Blink" because it seemed Blink had to be a certain thing when I want bands to not limit themselves like that.

Blink seems more like a nostalgia act right now and that's fine but it's not for me. FOB is a similar band that just completely reinvented themselves instead of releasing From Under The Cork Tree ad naseum and they are so much better for that. Mark seems to want Blink to stay the same forever and well, time moves forward not backwards.

Anyway, glad other people are enjoying the record. But it's just not for me even if it has a couple of fun tracks.

EDIT: Also, We Don't Need To Whisper is definitely much better than this.

TOYPAJ was always my least favourite record of theirs for how derivative it was and having 30 year old man singing about high-school was dumb.

Like, if Mark wants to write catchy and formulaic pop-punk songs I mean, more power to him but it's just not going to appeal to me. And if I want that type of music this new Blink record isn't where I'm going to search for it.

One of the things I didn't like Tom saying since the return was he was writing a song "for Blink" because it seemed Blink had to be a certain thing when I want bands to not limit themselves like that.

Blink seems more like a nostalgia act right now and that's fine but it's not for me. FOB is a similar band that just completely reinvented themselves instead of releasing From Under The Cork Tree ad naseum and they are so much better for that. Mark seems to want Blink to stay the same forever and well, time moves forward not backwards.

Anyway, glad other people are enjoying the record. But it's just not for me even if it has a couple of fun tracks.

EDIT: Also, We Don't Need To Whisper is definitely much better than this.

Yeah I totally agree with every point. It does feel like nostalgia at this point. And in the spectrum of pop-punk it does nothing. Brings nothing new to the table either. NFG's new album is miles better than this. Sum 41's new song sounds a lot better than anything off this. And then you have smaller bands like Posture and PUP who have that pop-punk/punky vibe that are doing cool things with the genre.

kiguel182

it's all i've been listening to for like a week and a half. well that and the new PEARS album. check it out sometime, probably gonna end up being my AOTY.

I've been in a bit of a lull right now because of finals and all of that so I have a lot of stuff to listen to.

I'll add both of those records to my library so I won't forget to check them out!

blackjaw

I love Alkaline Trio so I was interested to see how Matt Skiba influenced the new Blink album...and it's just poppy radio crap.

I plugged Posture & The Grizzly in the Blink-182 thread since I think Jordan should have been a choice to replace Tom :lol or Jordan from NFG.

But Kawl, Arrows In Her will be in Houston on the 9th. Idk where though yet haha

imBask

Banned
:'(

i'm listening to that Hotelier album right now, i'm halfway through and I think it's fine, just like the first one... I really don't get that band

Have not listened to the new Blink album, don't think I will. I hated the first single so much. I'll always like their older stuff (most of it anyway) but I think they're just not for me anymore.

Next week I am going to see The Hotelier and Brand New back to back (Thurs and Fri). Going to be bitter sweet since this could be the last time Brand New goes on tour. :(

Anyone get their I am a Nightmare vinyl from Procrastinate?

Finally got my copy of the new Clique record in the mail today. It's so good. Seriously up there with the best of the year for me, if you haven't checked it out please do.

The variant is really nice too, clear with black smoke.

Yay! My I Am Satan LP has finally shipped!

Such a fucking good album

I have weirdly been into Pop-Punk a bunch recently, but Melodic Hardcore has been fucking sick too. Always love that. Counterparts, Capsize, and Crooks are all legit as fuck. Basically if you start with a C and you are a melodic hardcore band I will like it

olympia

Such a fucking good album

I have weirdly been into Pop-Punk a bunch recently, but Melodic Hardcore has been fucking sick too. Always love that. Counterparts, Capsize, and Crooks are all legit as fuck. Basically if you start with a C and you are a melodic hardcore band I will like it

i've been listening to p.s. eliot since they have a show in sf in september

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
I don't know if anyone has posted this yet, but this is an absolutely fantastic emo compilation. 49 songs for a minimum of $1. Proceeds from it go to support the victims of the Orlando shooting.

Anyways, I'm only a dozen songs into it and I've already discovered 4 new bands that I'm pretty sure I'm going to absolutely love. (If anyone cares, said bands are Real Friends, Foxing, Ratboys, You Blew It!, and... it's actually 5 now, because I just listened to the song on the compilation by Cayetana and they seem pretty rad too).

olympia

Cool, thanks for the tip. I like pretty much all the bands they have on there. A lot of hc and pop punk too

after listening to the reworked brand new demos I don't think any of the new versions are better than the demo versions.

Top Bottom