• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Emo Music |OT| Non-Conforming as Can Be

TWIABP is re-releasing Formlessness since they re-recorded all the songs with their current lineup. Super interested to hear what it sounds like

olympia

TWIABP is re-releasing Formlessness since they re-recorded all the songs with their current lineup. Super interested to hear what it sounds like

i saw this and i'm pretty stoked for it

got I am a nightmare just now, thought pictures would be of interest. the sleeve quality is super nice. the b-side etching is cool. i'll post a picture of that later.

Q1FqM2xl.jpg

lyric card. the front of it has a gravestone that says "brand new, 2018"

zPwfDytl.jpg

So what has everyone been listening to recently? Emo or non emo?

I'll start.

Emo:

Arrows in Her

Jank

The World Is...

itoldyouiwouldeatyou

All that shit has been legit. Arrows in Her's new album is awesome, Jank's new stuff is pretty good. Harmlessness was one of my favorite albums of last year. January 10 is too good. and itoldyouiwouldeatyou have an EP coming out in Sept and their first song released from it is sooooo fucking good. Might be my AOTY if the first song is anything to go by.

Non-emo:

Capsize

Touche

Crooks

The Dandelion War

Foliage

Sigur Ros

BoxCarRacer

Capsize has been one of my fav melodic hardcore band for awhile but their new album is a cool departure from that and is much more post-hardcore. Touche's new shit is awesome, can't wait for the full thing. Crooks... EVERYONE LISTEN TO THEM. They are another melodic-hardcore turned kinda post-hardcore but their album last year was my AOTY by a far margin. Incredible. The Dandelion War is an awesome bandcamp indie/post-rock band with some super interesting elements. Foliage is a surf pop dreamy band that is legit to unwind too. And Sigur Ros is my all time favorite band so I am always listening to them. Also been listening to a bunch of BoxCarRacer. Just such a great album

Orchid is always solid. I get those moods though for sure. Where you can't listen to anything else.

Forreal. September is gonna be great. I have liked each album Touche has put out more than the last, so I have high expectations for Stage Four. But from what I have heard I think it might as a whole album. Idk if any of their future stuff will pass up "To Write Content" though

I've been really in to both Japanese Breakfast and Mitski lately.

Both of those albums will be in my top 10 for the end of the year I'm sure.

Does this thread have any interest in making an emo starters guide?

I've been introduced (and re-introduced to the genre at large after a many year absence) to so many great bands from this thread.

I've been listening to the new Clique record a lot. Still listening to PUP and Modern Baseball from this year. Totally missed that the new Frameworks record came out so I've been bumping that a bit as well.

Unrelated to this thread I've been listening to Wild Nothing's newest called Life of Pause and getting back into Harry Nilsson.

I've been really in to both Japanese Breakfast and Mitski lately.

Both of those albums will be in my top 10 for the end of the year I'm sure.

Does this thread have any interest in making an emo starters guide?

I've been introduced (and re-introduced to the genre at large after a many year absence) to so many great bands from this thread.

We could do an emo starter guide. I can get some help from outside of GAF since I am active in the emo community elsewhere where dudes know a lot more than I do or ever will. Especially for older emo bands

kris.

Banned
I have been on a two month bender of PUP - The Dream is Over. Just can't stop listening to it.

dude same. every morning as soon as i get in the car i start it up for my drive to work. jam it on my way back. listen to it during work. i can't stop.

If you dig Touche check out My Iron Lung. They sound quite similar but they are really good. A little more on the hardcore side

one of my good friends that lives in LA is BFFs with half the MIL dudes. really solid band.

kris.

Banned
Hot damn! Thanks for the heads up!

Edit: Just finished listening to the new track. Love it. Is there any news of a full album or EP on the way?

last i'd read he's either in the process or just finished up recording a new LP and it may or may not be out by the end of the year.

Going through my google music, past couple weeks have been

SFTP - Make You Own History, Subliminal Criminals
letlive - all of them (I like doing that for concert prep; went to a show last week Wednesday)
White Lung - Paradise, Deep Fantasy
CCR - Cosmo's Factory, Bayou Country
Touche Amore - To The Beat of a Dead Horse, is Survived By
Glassjaw - Worship and Tribute (everytime I want to listen to EYEWTKAS I just remember the "dick that cums blood" line and think otherwise lol)
Counterparts - Tragedy Will Find Us
The Hotelier - Goodness
Hundredth - Free
Can't Swim - Death Deserves A Name
Defeater - Letters Home
Jimmy Eat World - Bleed American
Underoath - Define the Great Line
Sunny Day Real Estate - Diary
My Chemical Romance - Three Cheers, The Black Parade (the rumours they might be back plus TBP 10 year anniversary brought it all back)
Death Grips - Bottomless Pit, The Money Store

A bit of everything. Can't do straight SDRE-style emo anymore, I need to mix it up with stuff from other genres.

kiguel182

I haven't listened to it yet but there's a new JANK EP streaming. It's JANK so I bet it's great.

Also, TWIABP comparing Rosenstock's song to Good Charlotte's Festival Song was hilarious to me.

imBask

Banned
Top 5 Emo albums so far this year in no particular order:

Camp Cope S/T
Holy Ghost - Modern Baseball
Celebrate - TMP
The Dream is Over - PUP
The Home Inside My Head - Real Friends

kiguel182

A version of this leaked a long time ago and at the time I didn't even believe it was Brand New, sounded so different. I do really like this track though.

Announce the damn album already!

Keeping up with Brand New leaks is not easy!

At this point I wonder if there will be a record... it's a ride being a Brand New fan.

Camp Cope S/T
Celebrate - TMP
The Dream is Over - PUP

Replace Real Friends with Hotelier and that's my top 5.

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
I haven't mentioned this yet, and it's not like it's any shock to any of you, but regardless:

I've been listening to Celebrate by Tiny Moving Parts pretty much nonstop ever since its release. Every single song is absolutely incredible. Just an absolutely brilliant album. I really enjoyed their previous albums, but this one is just absolutely perfect where the previous albums were a tiny bit lacking (and I can't really put my finger on why that is; but again, I still really enjoy those previous albums).
Just an absolutely perfect album. Easily one of my top 5 favorites of all time.

Also, I'm warming up to the new Hotelier album now too, but I'm still a bit disappointed. Mostly because probably a little over half of the songs are skips for me. The songs I like I really like, but there are just too many that fall short for me. The new album definitely lacks the emotional strength and intensity of the previous album. It does feel incredibly intentional and very well thought out (and I mean those things as compliments), but it also feels a little sterile and lacking. However, I must say, End of Reel is one of my new favorite songs. I've basically been listening to that song on repeat for the past two weeks. It's absolutely wonderful. For as much as I prefer Home Like Noplace There Is to Goodness, I think I like End of Reel more than any of the songs on HLNTI. It's just brilliant.

Kipp

Camp Cope S/T
Celebrate - TMP
The Dream is Over - PUP

I'm listening to Camp Cope for the first time right now. Loving it. Thanks for the list! I still need to check out the new Modern Baseball and PUP. Haven't heard those yet either.
Edit: Finished Camp Cope S/T. Loved it. Listening to PUP now. Really digging it. I'm getting some Jeff Rosenstock vibes.

Kipp

The only thing I dislike about Celebrate are the lyrics. Other than that it's a stellar album

What about them don't you like out of curiosity? I wouldn't argue that the lyrics are the best aspect of the album, but I do really enjoy them and they are a big part of the reason I love the album.

What about them don't you like out of curiosity? I wouldn't argue that the lyrics are the best aspect of the album, but I do really enjoy them and they are a big part of the reason I love the album.

They are pretty boring and basic. I don't really listen to TMP for lyrics though so it doesn't bother me as much as some others where I expect more lyrically.

Kipp

They are pretty boring and basic. I don't really listen to TMP for lyrics though so it doesn't bother me as much as some others where I expect more lyrically.

I definitely agree with them being basic, but in my opinion that's what they ought to be. It'd be weird to me if TMP had deep, poetic lyrics. For me, the lyrics work. You're obviously entitled to your differing opinion though! Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

akileese

Saw Brand New and Modest Mouse last night. MM isn't really my thing but I do appreciate what they're trying to do. Brand New played like...a 105 minute set. Their actual set was about 90 minutes and (spoilers in case you don't wanna see set list stuff but it's changing every show)
Soco Amaretto Lime
and closed with what was like a 17 minute rendition of
You Won't Know

All in all, it was a freakin AMAZING show. They played some stuff they don't normally play, but a lot of the stuff you expect them to play. It wasn't as good as the Bomb Factory show last year with Kevin Devine where they played Seventy Times 7 and Play Crack the Sky (as well as pretty much every other song off Deja Entendu), but it was a damn good show. I just wish it wasn't 100 degrees out. They didn't actually get off stage until about 11:45PM central time.

olympia

Saw Brand New and Modest Mouse last night. MM isn't really my thing but I do appreciate what they're trying to do. Brand New played like...a 105 minute set. Their actual set was about 90 minutes and (spoilers in case you don't wanna see set list stuff but it's changing every show)
Soco Amaretto Lime
You Won't Know

All in all, it was a freakin AMAZING show. They played some stuff they don't normally play, but a lot of the stuff you expect them to play. It wasn't as good as the Bomb Factory show last year with Kevin Devine where they played Seventy Times 7 and Play Crack the Sky (as well as pretty much every other song off Deja Entendu), but it was a damn good show. I just wish it wasn't 100 degrees out. They didn't actually get off stage until about 11:45PM central time.

awesome. i'm seeing them in Berkeley next Thursday, they're closing. really looking forward to it.

ohkay

Soco Amaretto Lime
You Won't Know

They were amazing when I saw them last week, but I wish they played anything off of your favorite weapon (though they did play play crack the sky which I was happy about)

Soco Amaretto Lime
You Won't Know

Damn, they played a pretty short set I thought when I saw them in Vancouver in June. Like 13 or 14 songs and nothing from YFW. To be fair there was 3 bands on the bill and mewithoutYou played a decently long set. Most of Brand New's set was from Devil and God which I appreciated. Although they played I Will Play My Game Beneath the Spin Light which is in my opinion the weakest song they have.

Soco Amaretto Lime
You Won't Know

They were playing at a venue like 5 minutes from my house at the beginning of the month but I didn't get to see them. Super bummed.

Anyway, this thread has been crazy. I've been listening to this kind of music for over 10 years but pretty much stopped seeking out new things years ago, generally just listening to the same stuff I always have. But I read the first few pages of the thread and found a ton of cool stuff already (fucking listening to one Oso Oso song on repeat).

Has anyone mentioned Brandtson in this thread? Because if they haven't been, then that sucks. Seriously, listen to this. That song is fucking aces. I've always loved the bass in it.

akileese

They were amazing when I saw them last week, but I wish they played anything off of your favorite weapon (though they did play play crack the sky which I was happy about)

There is something about Dallas that brings out them playing weird one off sets that they just don't do on the rest of their tour. We are, so far, the only show that's gotten any YFW. Last year there were a few shows in the South where did they did Soco, Seventy Times 7, and Flying at Tree Level (which I didn't even recognize at first because I can't remember the last time they played that.

Jesse did an acoustic cover of Wish You Were Here last night in Austin which seems really cool.

The band just looks like they're having so much fun out there. They don't look like they're going through the motions. It's refreshing to see and makes me excited for their new album.

Top Bottom