• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

English Translated Japanese Visual Novel/ADV Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
So it's like going int 999 knowing that
June/Akane is Zero?
I unfortunately had that spoiled for me, but 999 was still crazy amazing!

God Dammit, now I really need to get Ever17 and start playing it! (But where to go?!? o_O)

it's like VLR in the sense that you need info from each regular route to understand properly ( and to unlock ) the true route.. and yes there is some crazy twists involved

That didn't answer my question...unless you're saying it doesn't take away very much at all. I know the ending will be worth it no matter what, I'm just wondering if anything significant is lost in knowing ahead of time. For example, you can still enjoy 999 if you played VLR, but you won't enjoy it as much, as if something important was taken from it.

That's hard to answer because answering that from people who know the truth will expose key plot points from the twists ..

I have no idea how to give you the things that matter from "you" route without giving several twists that go with it ..especially since the lenght of it all is a necessary evil toward the extremly awesome "true " route.

upandaway

All the Ever 17 talk reminds me I still haven't listened to the second drama CD. I listened to the first last month and then ran out of time and forgot.
I hope I'll have time for it today

@ Vibed, If you really don't remember You's route and wanna freshen up, you can try and use the skip function. It's just a fastforward, and can be stopped at any time (I think the bgm still runs too which is nice). Catching a few keywords per dialogue might awaken your memory.

All the Ever 17 talk reminds me I still haven't listened to the second drama CD. I listened to the first last month and then ran out of time and forgot.
I hope I'll have time for it today
If they follow the game exactly, I'm super curious how they approach the story. Without going into it, unlike some other VNs, a lot of the plot points hinge on it being a game with some level of interactivity.

It reminds me of VLR's anime, where (SUPER spoilers)
they couldn't find a graceful way to deal with you never seeing Sigma's actual face until the end of the game, so they just made him look like how you'd expect him to look instead

upandaway

If they follow the game exactly, I'm super curious how they approach the story. Without going into it, unlike some other VNs, a lot of the plot points hinge on it being a game with some level of interactivity.
Both drama CDs are new post-game stories actually. The first one at least, had some "after the fact" detail and a small self contained plot.

It wasn't enough to stand on its own or be anywhere as good as the game, but that's what afterword short stories are, I guess. It was like an hour long.

Help me PC VN GAF (three acronyms in a row)!

In terms of the big PC VNs, I've completed:

Ever 17 - so great how the extreme repetition of the routes lulls you into a sense of security, only to have the true ending blow you away. Bonus points for a ROCKING GUITAR TRACK to come out of nowhere at the point the twist starts happening.

Steins;Gate - surprisingly not as convoluted as I assumed it was going to be, considering all the time travel involved. So fascinating how quantum theory has affected the concept of time travel in fiction, compared to more classic portrayals where there is only one timeline with characters being "erased".

Kawata Shoujo - had the potential to be the worst thing ever created, was pleasantly surprised at how genuine the routes I took felt. Fascinating how someone's mileage may vary wildly depending on who they pursued (I did Rin/Shizune)

Saya No Uta - Godly soundtrack, I love horror manga. Was impressed at the amount of Lovecraftian references beyond the initial concept.

All of Christine Love's games - one of the incredibly rare times I felt like I was experiencing an actual auteur experience with such a strong voice. If someone questioned the validity of videogames as a medium, I would point to the raison d'etre at the end of 'Don't Take It Personally Babe' as something only achievable through an interactive medium.

For the next game I play, I'm a little torn.

I tried maybe two hours of Fate/Stay Night, but it didn't really hook me. Should I keep going?

My other options are True Remembrance, White Day (which I think you actually walk around in, so maybe not it's not 100% a visual novel) or Remember 11.

Obviously there are a lot listed in the OP, but am I missing out on any quintessential hallmarks?

fate /stay night is a slow burn ..the first route is dull .. the other are fine ..it's somewhat hard to describe it properly ...

if you liked ever 17 , then remember 11 should be ok.
if you like unexpected twists , then "Sharin no Kuni, Himawari no Shoujo" & "G-Senjou no Maou/ The Devil on the G-String" are must-see but go for the true route

if you liked stein'sgate , then chaos head should be played

if you haven't seen the anime , then you shoudl give a shot at higurashi ..

even if you've watched the anime, you should play umineko ( more like read in both cases )

i still think that everyone on this planet should have played at least once Aoioshiro , i've made a post about it , here.

Hobby

I'd recommend Remember11 if you enjoyed Ever17. The pacing is much better and it has an awesome soundtrack.

Higurashi and Umineko are both also great, gripping reads. Although I wasn't too big of a fan of Chiru.

Actually, InfiniteNine, or anyone else, really, would you be interested in an eroge thread exclusively for non-translated stuff? Or can I post in this thread with news and/or stuff I'm currently reading?

Thank you for the suggestions.

I will read/play ALL OF THESE one by one.

I don't know why, but I can't get enough of them. I am going pretty deep into the rabbit hole.

I'd recommend Remember11 if you enjoyed Ever17. The pacing is much better and it has an awesome soundtrack.

Higurashi and Umineko are both also great, gripping reads. Although I wasn't too big of a fan of Chiru.

Actually, InfiniteNine, or anyone else, really, would you be interested in an eroge thread exclusively for non-translated stuff? Or can I post in this thread with news and/or stuff I'm currently reading?
It would make more sense to just post it here, a new thread probably wouldn't be active enough.

vareon

This seems a good place to ask: If I want to play VLR, should I play 999 first or I can just jump in? VLR is much easier to find in my place.

For the record, I don't mind spoilers for 999 in VLR, but I don't want to play VLR without knowing anything (characters, plot, etc) and I don't know if VLR expects its players to play 999 before.

This seems a good place to ask: If I want to play VLR, should I play 999 first or I can just jump in? VLR is much easier to find in my place.

For the record, I don't mind spoilers for 999 in VLR, but I don't want to play VLR without knowing anything (characters, plot, etc) and I don't know if VLR expects its players to play 999 before.
You don't HAVE to, but knowing 999 is a HUGE component of VLR, and also an incredible game on it's own.

Much of VLR's mindbending twists are based off of events from 999. You'd really be missing out.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
I asked this in the other thread, but maybe someone knows this here.

I have a question for someone that might be knowledgeable about this.

I was curious about the novels that I see adapted from Nukige games. I'm going to take a guess that they are literotica, but I'm more interested in whether they are a straight up copy of the game or adapted? Also I would be interested in learning whether they are written by the games story writer or somebody else?

Ra1den

So I decided to play Muv-Luv Alternative next and just completed Extra and Unlimited(got every ending, man that took longer than expected).

I wonder if anybody could help with a bit of translation...

In the special Yuuko ending in Unlimited, at the very end, there is an untranslated announcement given over the intercom...with my rusty Japanese ability I can pick out that it's something about "second something...earth...return"...or something. I think it may be just the announcement telling the 207th squad to return to the classroom, as I am hearing the number 7 in there as well.

Anybody recall what was said during this part?

I think I have enough time to work on the thread for the next few days! Anyone got any ideas for a new format or look for everything?

I really like the current format. Very concise and informative.

So I decided to play Muv-Luv Alternative next and just completed Extra and Unlimited(got every ending, man that took longer than expected).

I wonder if anybody could help with a bit of translation...

In the special Yuuko ending in Unlimited, at the very end, there is an untranslated announcement given over the intercom...with my rusty Japanese ability I can pick out that it's something about "second something...earth...return"...or something. I think it may be just the announcement telling the 207th squad to return to the classroom, as I am hearing the number 7 in there as well.

Some of the untranslated text is in the readme, but I don't think that's one of them. It's probably somewhere on Amaterasu's forums, but I can't find it right now.

After relistening to it a few times:

It says, "To all members of Squad 207, please report to classroom 49, I repeat, To all members of Squad 207, please report to classroom 49..."

Also, you're going to love Alternative.

fIqew.png

Ra1den

Thanks guys.

Yeah can't wait to start up Alternative...tempted to do it right now, even after this marathon session of Extra and Unlimited I did over the weekend, but I think I'm gonna wait until next weekend when I can really put some time into it.

Basch

Does anybody know when JAST will release Saya no Uta or Hanachirasu? I'm dying to play the former and they have had both of these listed on their site as preorders for like half a year now with no release date mentioned anywhere. I tried messing with my computer to get an english patch working a while ago, but got annoyed by all the misaligned weird characters. GWAH!! Maybe, I'll just play Chaos;Head or get back to Aselia the Eternal in the meantime.

Does anybody know when JAST will release Saya no Uta or Hanachirasu? I'm dying to play the former and they have had both of these listed on their site as preorders for like half a year now with no release date mentioned anywhere. I tried messing with my computer to get an english patch working a while ago, but got annoyed by all the misaligned weird characters. GWAH!! Maybe, I'll just play Chaos;Head or get back to Aselia the Eternal in the meantime.

Who knows. Last I asked Peter he said before AX 2012. Well, we're six months away from AX 2013. /shrugs

Aselia was meh. Although it does have okay turned-based gameplay for a VN.

danmaku

Today I was browsing the Play store on my tablet and found out that there's at least one visual novel translated in english on Android ( and it looks like an eroge :3 ). Is there any good VN for Android? tablets could be an ideal platform for VN, legal problems aside.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Not that I know of! But I hate using smart phones and tablets for anything but IRC or actual phone calls. I recall scouring the play store and the internet beforehand and I think the most you'll get is some tools to port Nscripter games manually.

I found this list googling so you can give these a shot:
-Broken Hearted 9/11
-Firefly
-Wintertale
-Moonlight Walks
-Kare wa Kanojo

VNDB has a general list of ones available on Android:
http://vndb.org/r?q=;fil=plat-and;o=d;s=released

Today I was browsing the Play store on my tablet and found out that there's at least one visual novel translated in english on Android ( and it looks like an eroge :3 ). Is there any good VN for Android? tablets could be an ideal platform for VN, legal problems aside.

I know there's not a lot of them for the iOS (which I have), but it seems like the vast majority that are available are usually OELVNs along with the oddly Engrish translated app or two. I'm guessing that it's the same way for the Android market?

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
I know there's not a lot of them for the iOS (which I have), but it seems like the vast majority that are available are usually OELVNs along with the oddly Engrish translated app or two. I'm guessing that it's the same way for the Android market?

Pretty much! There are some otome games though if you're into that.

Javier

I've been hearing good things about Fate/Stay Night so I'm interested on playing it, but I also understand it's an 18+ game. How heavy are the "adult" CGs in this one? I had no problem with playing through Katawa Shoujo, as well as the most violent stuff in 999 and VLR. How is F/SN compared to those?

upandaway

I've been hearing good things about Fate/Stay Night so I'm interested on playing it, but I also understand it's an 18+ game. How heavy are the "adult" CGs in this one? I had no problem with playing through Katawa Shoujo, as well as the most violent stuff in 999 and VLR. How is F/SN compared to those?
The adult stuff are all fine if KS didn't bug you, and like KS they can be turned off. In terms of violence it's heavier than 999 though.

Spierek

KS has the in-game menu option to turn off the H-scenes. FS/N has an all-ages version, but you can't turn off the H-scenes on the R one (just skip them if you want to).

Hi, I'm new at gaf :). I didn't see any info about the completed Steins;Gate translation in op, so I thought I'd post about it here. Sorry if it got mentioned on another page and I missed it.

This guy going by Geckoey Lurker finished a patch that was previously abandoned. Apparently the translation was almost complete, so he used the tools they had and what they had translated it and completed the rest of it along with fixing some bugs and typos. The final version of this patch has everything in the game translated, including the text messages and glossary.

I've played it for about 5 hours and the only problem I have is that the game will sometimes crashes when quick loading and reloading in quick succession to try and see what the different possible text messages to reply with are (the way it works is when you get a text, some of the words in the text will be blue and selecting them will show you what text message you will reply with. You can't go back to the previous screen once to select a word though, so the only way to see the other replies is to quickload). This basically isn't a problem though, because i've already quicksaved so no progress is lost.

Here's the forum I found the patch in:http://www.vn-meido.com/k1/index.php/topic,1060.495.html?PHPSESSID=d634mhh9vt9eld46fogmlhaim1

and here's a copy/paste of what to do:
Quote from: dashi on December 10, 2012, 03:27:25 am
http://www.mediafire.com/?265qg7splf3hl39

this one is the most up-to-date exe (thx to Geckoey Lurker).

Also, here is : http://www.mediafire.com/?5dq77c55e8i0f7f

The last version of the auto-patch.

You can just download each and replace the exe file in the auto-patch folder before applying it.​

Hope this is useful and hasn't been mentioned already :)

Hi, I'm new at gaf :). I didn't see any info about the completed Steins;Gate translation in op, so I thought I'd post about it here. Sorry if it got mentioned on another page and I missed it.

This guy going by Geckoey Lurker finished a patch that was previously abandoned. Apparently the translation was almost complete, so he used the tools they had and what they had translated it and completed the rest of it along with fixing some bugs and typos. The final version of this patch has everything in the game translated, including the text messages and glossary.

I've played it for about 5 hours and the only problem I have is that the game will sometimes crashes when quick loading and reloading in quick succession to try and see what the different possible text messages to reply with are (the way it works is when you get a text, some of the words in the text will be blue and selecting them will show you what text message you will reply with. You can't go back to the previous screen once to select a word though, so the only way to see the other replies is to quickload). This basically isn't a problem though, because i've already quicksaved so no progress is lost.

Here's the forum I found the patch in:http://www.vn-meido.com/k1/index.php/topic,1060.495.html?PHPSESSID=d634mhh9vt9eld46fogmlhaim1

and here's a copy/paste of what to do:
Quote from: dashi on December 10, 2012, 03:27:25 am
http://www.mediafire.com/?265qg7splf3hl39

this one is the most up-to-date exe (thx to Geckoey Lurker).

Also, here is : http://www.mediafire.com/?5dq77c55e8i0f7f

The last version of the auto-patch.

You can just download each and replace the exe file in the auto-patch folder before applying it.​

Hope this is useful and hasn't been mentioned already :)

Thanks for the info! I'm still waiting for an official JAST localization (..if ever), but it's good to know that a patch exists.

Well on that front they made a lot of headway with 5pb apparently!

Have they? I haven't heard anything about JAST & 5pb since pre-AX'12.

Now granted, XSEED released Corpse Party last year on the PSP to critical acclaim, so at this point...I would say that anything is possible.

edit: Just bought Planeterian on iOS. May get around to posting my impressions comparing it to original fansub eventually.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom