• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

English Translated Japanese Visual Novel/ADV Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Taruranto

Anyway, since i don't see it mentioned it anywhere in the first page may i suggest Shikkoku no Sharnoth ~What a beatiful tomorrow~?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yv2bH8X_ImQ&fmt=18

It's a pretty good reading for those who are looking for something more akin to a book (though there still ero content, but it's pretty tame and well integrated, like in a book, it ain't FSN). Beautiful artworks and a mixed cast of characters (most of them are inspired to real writers, fictional figures and historical figures. Sherlock Holmes makes an appearance and the protagonist herself is pretty much Agatha Christie.)

TtE9Tl.jpg

Anyway, since i don't see it mentioned it anywhere in the first page may i suggest Shikkoku no Sharnoth ~What a beatiful tomorrow~?

It's a pretty good reading for those who are looking for something more akin to a book (though there still ero content, but it's pretty tame and well integrated, like in a book, it ain't no FSN). Beautiful artworks and a mixed cast of characters (most of them are inspired to real writers, fictional figures and historical figures. Sherlock Holmes makes an apparition and the protagonist herself is pretty much Agatha Christie.)

Is there a significant connection to Sekien no Inganock? Should I read that first?

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Yeah, the OP hasn't been updated in quite a while. I had some stuff to put up but it was on my laptop which I no longer own. x: Probably going to revamp the OP completely when I get out of here.

Taruranto

Is there a significant connection to Sekien no Inganock? Should I read that first?

They are set in the same universe (The land where Inganock takes place is often mentioned through the novel but that's it) and no you don't need to, i didn't either, it's a self-contained story.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
I actually have had both of those installed for quite a while. I should probably free up some time to play them since Liar-Soft writers are writing Girl's Work. (I want to gauge my interest in their writing style.)

Yeah, the OP hasn't been updated in quite a while. I had some stuff to put up but it was on my laptop which I no longer own. x: Probably going to revamp the OP completely when I get out of here.

THE OP need a clear update can we put recommandation to what we feel should be in the OP ?

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
I will take suggestions on what to put up. It'd help if you did the write up for me though so I could just make a banner and throw it up there.

I will take suggestions on what to put up. It'd help if you did the write up for me though so I could just make a banner and throw it up there.

Part 1 of suggestion sent by PM ( those were just personnal favorites ) as i don't know your criteria for putting a game or not on the list

Lain

Can't believe the game ShindoL made character designs for, Captive Market (NSFW in case some that don't know about it want to go looking), has been translated.

Uthred

Do any of the more recent visual novels do anything particularly novel (no pun intended) with their interfaces or is it still all scrolling text boxes?

Akibared

Just got Tsugumi's good ending in Ever 17 I enjoyed it but was wondering is it worth playing again to see all the other endings?

Akibared

Hahahahaha alright I will then. =D I'm planning to do Remember 11 when I'm all done is the story in that just as good?

Metrotab

Banned
Finished Shiori's route in Kanon yesterday, Ayu's is up next.

It was pretty intense at the end because
I didn't know whether or not she already 'used up' her miracle so that she could spend a week with Yuuichi. It was good to have a happy end after doing Makoto's route though, which was more bittersweet.

Taruranto

Hahahahaha alright I will then. =D I'm planning to do Remember 11 when I'm all done is the story in that just as good?

It has a better execution (less filler content, etc), but they kinda forgot to put an ending. The plot itself isn't IMO also good as Ever. Overall pretty skippable.

Just finished G-Senjou no Mao, and the least I can say is...that I'm conflicted about what to think about it. Each time I liked something in it, I found someting else really cringeworthy.
I liked some of the classical music remixes (the O Fortuna one in Chapter V is particularly awesome) while others are abysmal.
There's a lot of CG scenes of good quality, but it severely lacks in certain scenes.
Haru's cameltoe jumpsuit made me laugh though
Some characters don't have a portrait while there's no reason for it. What, they couldn't afford to draw 5 more characters ?
The VA is good.
The routes have unequal quality. While Tsubaki's good (actual character development, events, closure and epilogue), Shiratori's abysmal. Kanon is irritating regardless of the route.
The plot is...let's say that while it has good moments, some of the plot twists and developments go from convulted to downright retarded
LOL CHILDHOOD PROMISE. LOL AMNESIA.
Also about the writing in itself
ok, this is Umineko-level trolling/bullshitting writing. I'm not bothered by the reader being deiceved by the narration, but here it attains new heights. LOL AMNESIA, HEADACHES AND COINCIDENCES. Seriously, the whole story as it is told to us is purely based on coincidences on how Kyousuke's fits occur at the RIGHT moment throughout the whole story. Seriously, there's red herring and there's...this. Plus, it still doesn't explain several things, like Mao's uncanny knowledge of facts around Kyousuke, why he calls himself Yousuke's other personality, or why he flat-out abandons is schemes in all the alternative routes (one theory would be in these routes he either abandons out of love for Kyousuke or he is really Kyousuke's alternate personality)
The VN is quite long, but seem at times artificially prolonged. The final chapter is great.
Maou's antics and schemes are awesome, so is his voice (Jun Fukuyama).

tl;dr : It's a decent VN, with good drawings, scenes and music, and the final is awesome. It's quite long, but the fundamental branching points are clearly determined (you'd have to be blindly unsavvy to not see them), so you can technically read the whole story and routes in one go, by returning to your save point.

And now...onto Chaos;Head

The plot is...let's say that while it has good moments, some of the plot twists and developments go from convulted to downright retarded
LOL CHILDHOOD PROMISE. LOL AMNESIA.
Also about the writing in itself
ok, this is Umineko-level trolling/bullshitting writing. I'm not bothered by the reader being deiceved by the narration, but here it attains new heights. LOL AMNESIA, HEADACHES AND COINCIDENCES. Seriously, the whole story as it is told to us is purely based on coincidences on how Kyousuke's fits occur at the RIGHT moment throughout the whole story. Seriously, there's red herring and there's...this. Plus, it still doesn't explain several things, like Mao's uncanny knowledge of facts around Kyousuke, why he calls himself Yousuke's other personality, or why he flat-out abandons is schemes in all the alternative routes (one theory would be in these routes he either abandons out of love for Kyousuke or he is really Kyousuke's alternate personality)

This is my biggest problem with the VN too.
It essentially lies to you to mislead you into thinking Kyousuke is Maou. The alternate routes make no sense unless you accept that they are in an alternate universe where Kyousuke is actually Maou. The ending was a bit much as well, forced and way too heavy handed, though when you see Kyousuke's daughter at the end was a pretty effective moment.

This is my biggest problem with the VN too.
It essentially lies to you to mislead you into thinking Kyousuke is Maou. The alternate routes make no sense unless you accept that they are in an alternate universe where Kyousuke is actually Maou. The ending was a bit much as well, forced and way too heavy handed, though when you see Kyousuke's daughter at the end was a pretty effective moment.
Yeah seriously
the guy killed a terrorist who slaughtered 2000 people and destroyed everything in a 2-miles radius of downtown a week ago. Cut some slackto the man will ya ?
The reunion with Kyousuke's daughter though ;_;

HI Gaf .
Here is the first of the games i want to show you and i feel are very good and warrant a presence into the OT of this thread.

I present You with Aoi shiro:

AtA10.jpg

Synopsis

The Seijou Girls Academy's Kendo Club is traveling to Shoushinji for summer training camp. Near there is an island, Urashima, where a demon extermination took place long ago. They arrive around the time of a festival which honors a god that is worshipped by the people of Urashima, it celebrates the onitaiji and ensure another year of health for the people. Around the time of the festival, the weather around Urashima worsens and storms will come.
A few days into their training Osanai Syouko finds a girl washed up on the shores near the location of the training camp who can not speak and doesn't seem to know much about herself.

Characters
Osanai Syouko (小山内 梢子?)
Voiced by: Noriko Hidaka
The main character of this game, a 2nd year student at Seijou Academy. Her nickname is "Osa". She's the well-liked, ace of the kendo team who takes on the role of captain after the former 3rd year captain retires. Since she is the serious and hardworking type, she often gets teased and is on the receiving end of jokes.

Aizawa Yasumi (相沢 保美?)
Voiced by: Yamaguchi Rikako
A first year student at Seijou Academy, Yasumi is delicate girl who is the manager of the kendo team. Although she doesn't have any particular illness, she has much less stamina than normal people, so she finds it difficult to partake in any strenuous exercise. On the other hand, she's extremely determined and diligent about her job as a manager, and she does her best to contribute to the team's success.

Nami (ナミ?)
Voiced by: Rina Satō
The young girl who washes up on the shores near the location of the training camp. She looks to be about 10 to 12 years old. However, her name and age are all unknown. When she wakes up from after being rescued by Yasumi and Syouko, she is found being unable to speak. However, despite this, she makes up for her inability to communicate verbally with animated facial expressions, giving her a cute, childlike appearance.

Kaya (カヤ?)
Voiced by: Kaori Shimizu
Former kendo team captain at Seijou Academy and the cousin of Syouko's mother.

Kyan Migiwa (喜屋武 汀?)
Voiced by: Ayumi Fujimura
A young girl with a light, carefree personality who stays over at Shoushinji, the location of the training camp. She arrives there earlier than Syouko and the others.

Kohaku (コハク?)
Voiced by: Mizusawa Kei
A person of many mysteries and of a dignified presence. Kohaku's left eye is constantly closed.

Akita Momoko (秋田 百子?)
Voiced by: Ookubo Aiko
Friend and roommate of Yasumi. Momoko is an energetic girl who likes to play pranks. Although she only begins kendo in high school, she shows great potential, despite having only trained for less than half a year. Because of her high, natural athletic ability, strong determination, and willpower, many already peg her as the next ace of kendo.

Sakurai Ayashiro (桜井 綾代?)
Voiced by: Yoshinari Yuki
The former kendo team captain gave her the nickname of Hime, she is very kind and comes from a well off family that have sheltered her in her upbringing.

3uI6sl.jpg

This peacefull trip will liven up when our MC will find this girl washed up on a nearby beach ..
Why you must play this game

This game is NOT a small visual novel. Without a faq you’re into a solid 30 hours of play to reach the true end. Why is that ?
Because this game has plenty of endings.. 50 !!
Yes you’ve read right. The game has 4 types of endings : Bad , normal, Good , True

There is a lot to do .. but that doesn’t mean a lot if the game is boring and rest assured it’s the total opposite .

The casting has a lot punch and their dialogs have a real sense of life ( meaning that their attitudes are perfectly logical and/or funny ) More than once did i laugh during the camp life of the kendo club students as their are in charge of their trip and they are taking appropriate action to enjoy it.
Another reason why i recommand this game is because i think the story is extremly well crafted

The game begins with some of the club members chatting during the bus trip leading to their training camp and they talk about the local legends & mythos.This is a huge part of the game since the game comes with an extensive encyclopedia that will fill up during play … There is a lot of information in there and readers wanting a extra layer of depth will be pleased.. the game is not a normal tale, but one with a lot of things , complex sub plots but rest assured , everything will fall into place the more you play even without the encyclopedia because the game prevent you from some paths if you have do some things in others.
4B45Kl.jpg

Life during the trip.. In this event it's curry time !

Technical Aspects

The game is gorgeous..it’s not a HD visual novel but it has everything else ..the game is fully voiced ..and i mean it .. the main character is voiced too , all the heroines , 95% of the side characters. The heroine talk when you are in the menu and the heroine even greets you when you launch the game ( this change according to the day /night and where you are during the game ) .. There are some slight animations with the characters portraits but nothing ground breaking. Overall the presentation is very good and above many other visual novels on the market .

Dlx35l.jpg

The fighting scenes are not numerous but are well done
Why you must play this game ( continued )

i mentionned earlier that there are 50 endings ..But this isn’t the end !!
After all of this you have 2 side stories to watch ...and when you think you’re done there is an action/platforming game on 5 levels for you to digg in.
On the content size it’s hard to do better than this game.
Rest assured that there is a nice system if you've lost with all the choice you're making ...
I might not have said this but this is a Yuri game.
Yep you've read right . don't expect strawberry panic or marimite but do be prepared for a pleasant experience.

Uthred

Slight tangent to the thread. But academically speaking would you guys consider visual novels games? Was at a talk yesterday where the speaker got into it in the Q&A, insisting that visual novels werent games. Poor guy arguing back didnt see to be able to pull any academic support off the top of his head. But what do you guys think?

Wiktor

Slight tangent to the thread. But academically speaking would you guys consider visual novels games? Was at a talk yesterday where the speaker got into it in the Q&A, insisting that visual novels werent games. Poor guy arguing back didnt see to be able to pull any academic support off the top of his head. But what do you guys think?
It's a valid discussion. I would say that there are plenty of visual novels that technically can't really count as games. But it's not a new phenomenon. Text adventures evolved into interactive fiction, we got stuff like Dear Esther...bassicaly things that are just interactive storytelling mediums, not so much games.
But personally I think we don't need to be strict with definitions and can accept any software designed for entertainment as game.

Vn are games

The visual novels have a gameplay that isn't action oriented that's all .furthermore Some Vns do have this action part.
Tell me Aselia the Eternal is not a Vn ..

In "classic "vns , the fun comes into the fact that you're trying to influence the world through choices and your actions. You still have a set of elements beyond your control ( like any game in existance ) and you're still "playing" by deciding what you as a player want to do.

The people saying that Vns aren't games are just people that can't read even if their life depended on it. Those people can die in a fire for all i care as their opinion hold no value.

If you want examples i'll provide some.

BluWacky

Vn are games

The visual novels have a gameplay that isn't action oriented that's all .furthermore Some Vns do have this action part.
Tell me Aselia the Eternal is not a Vn ..

But what about visual novels with no gameplay at all? Planetarian, for instance, can be set to "auto scroll" through the entire story. No interaction is required from the reader at any point. Is that still a game, or a variation on a film?

I do think most visual novels ARE games. It's just that the amount of time you spend actually playing i.e. making a meaningful impact on what's happening is so minimal in many titles that people like to claim otherwise.

hamchan

Kira Kira
Availability: Digital Download
Developer: OverDrive
Plaforms: PC, iOS
Rating: 18+ and All Ages
Shikanosuke Maejima is a student at the Missionary school, Oubi Academy. He doesn't attend his club, he doesn't put much effort in his studies, all he does is show up at his part time job; in short, his life could be better. One day, he meets a strange girl, Kirari Shiino, at work and before he knows it, they've formed a punk band.

Play a game that looks like light hearted fun about a band, get emotionally devastated by the end. That's what happened to me in this game.

But what about visual novels with no gameplay at all? Planetarian, for instance, can be set to "auto scroll" through the entire story. No interaction is required from the reader at any point. Is that still a game, or a variation on a film?

I do think most visual novels ARE games. It's just that the amount of time you spend actually playing i.e. making a meaningful impact on what's happening is so minimal in many titles that people like to claim otherwise.

THE NUMBER OF Vn with no choices is thin .. they are the exception not the rule

hamchan

It has really great music too. I need to finish it one of these days.

Yep, you should. The middle dragged a bit because it was pretty much Japan tourism but the final quarter sure payed off, for the Kirara route at least. Now I'm going to finish off the final two routes then the true ending.

Yep, you should. The middle dragged a bit because it was pretty much Japan tourism but the final quarter sure payed off, for the Kirara route at least. Now I'm going to finish off the final two routes then the true ending.

How is the translation? I've seen criticism how Mangagamer handled that.

Nishastra

Banned
Some are, some aren't. Most are barely games, some are essentially adventure games.

However, I don't see why I should care. What does it matter whether or not the thing I enjoy is a game? Is it somehow inherently worse if it's not?

I notice some VNs showing up on Steam Greenlight. Some translated, though most I see were English to begin with. From MangaGamer, Winter Wolves, Hanako, Counter Arts.
Yep. Voted for Higurashi the moment I saw it. Hopefully it gets through, despite the rampant idiocy in its comment section.

Really wish there were more officially translated VNs out there that could be put on Greenlight, but...

Tizoc

Which should I play first: Remember11 or Never7? Also is there a 3rd game from the creators of those 2 VNs?

cj_iwakura

+
Finally trying out Steins;Gate.

-
Goes black at 'start' then goes back to title screen. :(

Cursory google search suggests I may be missing a video codec? Any hints?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom