• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

English Translated Japanese Visual Novel/ADV Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Danj

I don't recall FS/N having an option to turn off the h scenes either. Maybe there's something in the newest patch?

I think mirror moon's English translation patch had this capability, as it also had the capability to import full voice from the PS2 Realta Nua release.

I think mirror moon's English translation patch had this capability, as it also had the capability to import full voice from the PS2 Realta Nua release.
Mirror Moon didn't have this option. The person who made the patch to bring the Realta Nua CGs into the PC version was working on an all ages patch, but as far as I know it was abandoned years ago.

Danj

Mirror Moon didn't have this option. The person who made the patch to bring the Realta Nua CGs into the PC version was working on an all ages patch, but as far as I know it was abandoned years ago.

Oh, okay, I stand corrected. I honestly thought we put that in...

Marche90

Planetarian has an official English translation and is on IOS now. Key is releasing English games officially now?

I wanted to buy this, especially to support any kind of official release, but...

iPhone 3gs and up, iPod touch 3g and up, iOS 4.3... Dammit! I seriously need to update my iPod touch 2g. ;_;

Metrotab

Banned
I don't like how the Japanese voice isn't completely synced with the English translation in The Planetarian. The voice always gives the entire speech on the first line, and if you go to the second, you skip the voice.

Metrotab

Banned
Just finished The Planetarian. That was a short and sweet experience.
Unfortunately it ended quite sadly. I was hoping for some final epilogue, but I guess not.

Onwards towards the Little Busters!

Just finished The Planetarian. That was a short and sweet experience.
Unfortunately it ended quite sadly. I was hoping for some final epilogue, but I guess not.

Onwards towards the Little Busters!

Little Busters is amazing. Just don't watch the anime...

Metrotab

Banned
Little Busters is amazing. Just don't watch the anime...

It will be my first 'long' VN, after KS, Kanon and Planetarian.

I'm pretty hyped, mostly because I love the premise (group of bro's starting a baseball team! It's like one of those feel-good movies) as well as the character cast (guy with the red hair thing seems to be totally cool).

I heard you are supposed to play every route, then replay again to get to... Refrain, I think, which is the final part? I guess I'll figure that out after my blind route. It's a long time since I have RPed a VN so I'm interested to see which girl I'm gonna end up with.

It will be my first 'long' VN, after KS, Kanon and Planetarian.

I'm pretty hyped, mostly because I love the premise (group of bro's starting a baseball team! It's like one of those feel-good movies) as well as the character cast (guy with the red hair thing seems to be totally cool).

I heard you are supposed to play every route, then replay again to get to... Refrain, I think, which is the final part? I guess I'll figure that out after my blind route. It's a long time since I have RPed a VN so I'm interested to see which girl I'm gonna end up with.

Yep, everything you said is right. Anxious to hear all about your impressions since I actually prefer Little Busters over CLANNAD and Kanon. It's sandwiched right between Ever 17 and Kana: Imouto as my favorite VN of all-time...

....and I've played quite a bit.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Little Busters is an absolutely filthy name.

Anyway, I'm pretty far into Kara no Shoujo right now. I played a little bit of it when it first came out, but didn't stick with it. But now that I've actually invested a bit of time... yeah, this game is great.

Ra1den

Hi, I'm new at gaf :). I didn't see any info about the completed Steins;Gate translation in op, so I thought I'd post about it here. Sorry if it got mentioned on another page and I missed it.

This guy going by Geckoey Lurker finished a patch that was previously abandoned. Apparently the translation was almost complete, so he used the tools they had and what they had translated it and completed the rest of it along with fixing some bugs and typos. The final version of this patch has everything in the game translated, including the text messages and glossary.

I've played it for about 5 hours and the only problem I have is that the game will sometimes crashes when quick loading and reloading in quick succession to try and see what the different possible text messages to reply with are (the way it works is when you get a text, some of the words in the text will be blue and selecting them will show you what text message you will reply with. You can't go back to the previous screen once to select a word though, so the only way to see the other replies is to quickload). This basically isn't a problem though, because i've already quicksaved so no progress is lost.

Here's the forum I found the patch in:http://www.vn-meido.com/k1/index.php/topic,1060.495.html?PHPSESSID=d634mhh9vt9eld46fogmlhaim1

and here's a copy/paste of what to do:
Quote from: dashi on December 10, 2012, 03:27:25 am
http://www.mediafire.com/?265qg7splf3hl39

this one is the most up-to-date exe (thx to Geckoey Lurker).

Also, here is : http://www.mediafire.com/?5dq77c55e8i0f7f

The last version of the auto-patch.

You can just download each and replace the exe file in the auto-patch folder before applying it.​

Hope this is useful and hasn't been mentioned already :)

Wow thanks. If I've already got the unpatched Japanese version installed, will these two things handle everything? Or will I need to delete it and have the auto-patcher install the game for me?

Wow thanks. If I've already got the unpatched Japanese version installed, will these two things handle everything? Or will I need to delete it and have the auto-patcher install the game for me?

The auto-patcher patches the installed game, so just leave the game installed and follow the readme and you should be fine :)

Metrotab

Banned
A question about Little Busters before I start playing later today: is it recommendable to turn of Riki's voice? I'm used to reading the protagonist's lines myself, but I was wondering if there are certain scenes that might lose impact.

A question about Little Busters before I start playing later today: is it recommendable to turn of Riki's voice? I'm used to reading the protagonist's lines myself, but I was wondering if there are certain scenes that might lose impact.

IIRC he doesn't speak much outside of the mini-games.

Leave it on. He barely speaks anyways.

Tidbit: The same voice actress for Rin, Tamiyasu Tomoe, voiced Riki so it's kind of interesting to hear her try to speak in a guy's voice.

Ra1den

The auto-patcher patches the installed game, so just leave the game installed and follow the readme and you should be fine :)

Awesome...I cannot contain my excitement to finally play this properly. It's been my most wanted piece of entertainment for ages.

kiryogi

Banned
Little Busters is an absolutely filthy name.

Anyway, I'm pretty far into Kara no Shoujo right now. I played a little bit of it when it first came out, but didn't stick with it. But now that I've actually invested a bit of time... yeah, this game is great.

Yeah I had that issue @ launch. But I gave it a go again later on and man, is it mostly good. XD Wait until you finish it...

Metrotab

Banned
So I just played the first day post-intro of Little Busters. I don't usually post updates on VNs I'm playing, but I felt compelled to give at least the first impressions.

- I had already listened extensively to the OST before. I find it fits perfectly so far. The music is beautiful too.
- I had seen the intro cutscene on YouTube, but it's still more majestic when you see it in-game. I'm glad I got a save right before it.
- The character cast is as likable as I thought, and they align pretty much with the expectations I had: Masato being the strong but not too bright bro, Kengo the serious type, and Kyousuke the charming leader.
- Except for Rin, who is apparently a bit of a catgirl. I really like her though. Seeing her play with the cats was really cute.
- The feel good atmosphere is definitely there. Starting a baseball team, because why the fuck not? There's also this glooming thought of it being their last years together.
- The interactions are definitely well written. It really feels like a group of friends who give eachother shit but like eachother anyway.
- I love how Masato says 'Thanks!' after getting unknowingly insulted. I snicker everytime.
- I'm already addicted.

I don't think I'll update along the route, but I'll definitely post a write-up after finishing my first one (whichever girl I end up with through roleplaying).

stryke

- I had seen the intro cutscene on YouTube, but it's still more majestic when you see it in-game. I'm glad I got a save right before it.

Not quite sure but are you referring to the OP movie? I haven't played Little Busters but Key usually just has the OP animation in a mpeg that you can easily access in its program files.

So I just played the first day post-intro of Little Busters. I don't usually post updates on VNs I'm playing, but I felt compelled to give at least the first impressions.

- I had already listened extensively to the OST before. I find it fits perfectly so far. The music is beautiful too.
- The character cast is as likable as I thought, and they align pretty much with the expectations I had: Masato being the strong but not too bright bro, Kengo the serious type, and Kyousuke the charming leader.
- Except for Rin, who is apparently a bit of a catgirl. I really like her though. Seeing her play with the cats was really cute.
- The feel good atmosphere is definitely there. Starting a baseball team, because why the fuck not? There's also this glooming thought of it being their last years together.
- The interactions are definitely well written. It really feels like a group of friends who give eachother shit but like eachother anyway.
- I love how Masato says 'Thanks!' after getting unknowingly insulted. I snicker everytime.
- I'm already addicted.

I don't think I'll update along the route, but I'll definitely post a write-up after finishing my first one (whichever girl I end up with through roleplaying).

It's a really good VN. Have fun for the next 100 hours!!!

Spierek

Finished it almost a year ago. The "detective mode" twist on the gameplay is quite cool, but don't get your hopes up for the True Ending (it's kinda weak IMHO). Also, Tojiko = best girl.

The music and the attention to detail in the backgrounds are one of the best qualities of LB!. As for the intro cutscene, have a little bonus. Common route is incredibly long and fleshed out, so there'll be some time until you get to the character routes (but it is worth it). Also, be sure to try to finish all of the minigames during the game; not in the first playthrough (because it's simply impossible then), but around the 4th/5th. I'm especially recommending that you try to beat the fighting minigame and unlock Mask the Saito.

In my personal opinion, the best routes to go with during the first playthrough are Kud, Komari and Haruka - any of those should give you sufficient amount of heartaches. Leave Rin for the very end.
Don't expect much from Kurugaya.

I was thinking of putting Windows 8 on my new PC, am I going to run into a bunch of compatibility problems with VNs?
Don't think so. Everything that runs on W7 should go with W8 smoothly. At the very least G-Senjou no Maou and Saya no Uta are working.

In my personal opinion, the best routes to go with during the first playthrough are Kud, Komari and Haruka - any of those should give you sufficient amount of heartaches. Leave Rin for the very end.
Don't expect much from Kurugaya.

Second'd. This was the same exact order I read it in as well. However, you forgot all about Mio. Throw her in between Komari and Haruka. Maybe Kurugaya after Mio.

Ra1den

Got all the Steins;Gate endings and clocked in around 42 hours. The most recent patch is excellent, some typos here and there but overall it is very well done.

As for the game itself, I liked it a lot. Some of the routes didn't keep my interest, and some plot stuff really annoyed me
like why is Okabe trying so hard to undo Moeka's D-mails when he could just send a d-mail to himself instead, saying that she cannot be trusted? Seriously he's got so much power at his fingertips but he's constantly trying to solve his problems in roundabout ways

Also some plot elements are rather ridiculous like
Rukako changing from a boy to a girl because they sent a message to his mom's pager saying to eat more vegetables? Seriously wtf? Even if eating more veggies somehow made a girl more likely(heh), why would some random pager message change her diet like that? And why would he/she look exactly the same? Cmon... I feel like the routes of characters like Rukako and Faris were kind of dead weight with silly plots, and the game would have been better without them having their own arcs. Nothing against those characters, but the time spent on those routes would have been netter focused on the main character's stories IMO.
Of course the awesome true-route ending made up for all that.

Overall though it was a great experience, I'm glad I played it. The music by Takeshi Abo is GODLIKE as always, he must be my favorite composer. And Kyouma is such an awesome main character, his chuunibyou speeches were amazing. Kyouma's antics were my favorite part of the game.

Spierek

Finally sat down and finished Saya no Uta in one go yesterday. Took me a bit more than 3 hours to get all endings. If we're talking story, then... well, as expected from Urobuchi. Certain scenes made me a bit uneasy (
Saya's first feast, mindbreaking You
), but the most surprising fact is that the game is a quite decent love story. I liked it.

Now onto True Remembrance and Ever17.

Stark

Banned
Finally sat down and finished Saya no Uta in one go yesterday. Took me a bit more than 3 hours to get all endings. If we're talking story, then... well, as expected from Urobuchi. Certain scenes made me a bit uneasy (
Saya's first feast, mindbreaking You
), but the most surprising fact is that the game is a quite decent love story. I liked it.

Now onto True Remembrance and Ever17.

I had trouble going through SnU. Quite the nightmare fuel since I was much younger when I played it.

Also, Ever17 is great.

I'm personally starting Deardrops. I don't know what to expect, but I'd like to take a bit more of an easy/plot ride after WLM.

I had trouble going through SnU. Quite the nightmare fuel since I was much younger when I played it.

Also, Ever17 is great.

I'm personally starting Deardrops. I don't know what to expect, but I'd like to take a bit more of an easy/plot ride after WLM.

Deardrops is okay, just don't expect any heavy drama. Kira Kira it is definitely not.

I know it's not a VN, but I just finished my first playthrough of Telltale's The Walking Dead. I loved it for all the same reasons I love nakiges: memorable characters, decisions and tons of lol moments. The US game industry really needs more game of its caliber.

Anyone here play stuff in the Infinity series other than Ever 17? Started Never 7, but it is really boring. I assume it doesn't have the same level of mind fucks as 999/VLR?

Also, how is Remember 11?

Stark

Banned
Deardrops is okay, just don't expect any heavy drama. Kira Kira it is definitely not.

I know it's not a VN, but I just finished my first playthrough of Telltale's The Walking Dead. I loved it for all the same reasons I love nakiges: memorable characters, decisions and tons of lol moments. The US game industry really needs more game of its caliber.

I haven't played Kira Kira either. ^^; Much better in every aspect?

I haven't played Kira Kira either. ^^; Much better in every aspect?

Depends. If you're into high school antics, then Kira Kira will be right up your alley. The characters in DD are a bit more "mature-ish." Specifically Shouichi. The individual heroine routes in KK are years better tho. IMO, it's best to play Kira Kira and its fan disc first since the two take place within the same universe. Although that begets another problem in that you won't be able to help but compare the two VNs together...

Stark

Banned
Oh, yeah. I definitely prefer HS stuff. Ah well, I'll go through the lesser of the two first since I already have it and head to KK right after. And is that fandisc Kira☆Kira Curtain Call?

Mitsuho

Banned

Just rechecked my installation (MM+RN) and there is no all-ages. None of the readmes in the installation directory mention it, but that doesn't mean there wasn't an undocumented installation switch.

Javier

Remember11 is literally unfinished. I remember reading the company went broke while the game was in production, and they couldn't add the final route to the game.

It's still quite a wild ride, but expect every question to remain unanswered.

Metrotab

Banned
Little Busters!: Lost that baseball game 3-7. Doesn't help I know nothing about baseball strategy, just clicked random stuff. I think I stumbled into Kud's route, which was one of the advised routes to start off with, coincidentally. The common route was pretty damn great. Everything I expected out of it. Hopefully the second part shapes up just as nicely.

creid

Remember11 is literally unfinished. I remember reading the company went broke while the game was in production, and they couldn't add the final route to the game.

It's still quite a wild ride, but expect every question to remain unanswered.
Damn, I never knew that. I was looking forward to playing it someday, assuming it was as good as Ever17.

Little Busters!: Lost that baseball game 3-7. Doesn't help I know nothing about baseball strategy, just clicked random stuff. I think I stumbled into Kud's route, which was one of the advised routes to start off with, coincidentally. The common route was pretty damn great. Everything I expected out of it. Hopefully the second part shapes up just as nicely.

Just wait. VN gets better. You've barely scratched the surface.

Spierek

Don't sweat it, it's really hard to win the baseball game during your first playthrough (the same goes for the fighting game). After each playthrough, the character atributes go up (especially Rin's) making it much easier to complete the minigames.

The common route is really fun, full of random moments and giggles
(except that one moment with Kengo)
, but character routes pack a reasonable amount of feels. Be prepared.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom