• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

English Translated Japanese Visual Novel/ADV Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Which is why I have a WinXP VM for running them - no Vista/7 compatibility issues, and I can even move the VM onto my Mac laptop if I want to play them there.

Leaving it in Japanese locale isn't likely to cause any issues for most users. I've left it that way for months and never encountered anything really bothersome about it.

Marche90

Yup, no problems if you leave your computer in japanese locale. The only side-effect that I can think of is that the / gets changed into a Yen simbol in the windows Explorer adress bar. Other than that, you won't even notice

gokieks

I actually have run into issues with leaving system locale set to Japanese before: it was the Dragon Age: Origins toolset, which had one particular crash to desktop that only happened when the system was set to JP locale. It was such a peculiar issue that I think I only resolved it by accident.

Lain

Yup, no problems if you leave your computer in japanese locale. The only side-effect that I can think of is that the / gets changed into a Yen simbol in the windows Explorer adress bar. Other than that, you won't even notice

There is another side effect. Some programs will default to Japanese text.

Are the save files for Steins;Gate stored somewhere so I can transfer them? Umineko had them someplace, at least.
Some VNs store their save files in Appdata subfolders. I can't check now since I am on my phone, but I think SG's saves are in user/appdata/roaming/Nitroplus.

Edit: Yep, the saves are in "C:\Users\Basileus777\AppData\Roaming\Nitroplus\STEINS;GATE" replace Basileus777 with whatever your local username is. A shortcut to get to your appdata folder is open a run command box and put in: %appdata%

Good news for those waiting ( like me ) for otome wa boku ni koishiteru
as we have a solid date ..and the game is now available for preordering !!!!

Date is the 23 november 2012

SOURCE

This is gonna be great ..

Hopefully this will sell well enough that we can get the sequel ( in a few years maybe ? )

Ra1den

I want to start the Higurashi games soon, but am drowning in information about how to tweak MangaGamer's butchered release(yes I know it wasn't all their fault).

From what I have read, there is still no stable complete sound effect patch...the version 2 release is stable, but lacking many of them. And I am also confused in regards to if the music patch is complete or not. Seems it may only be for parts 1-4?

I may be an idiot, but I find it very difficult to navigate the "Tweaking Higurashi wiki".

It would be a HUGE help if anybody could give a bit of a primer of the current state of the various Higurashi patches so I at least know what to aim and search for.

Ideally I'd like to play it with the original sprites and backgrounds(though the PS2 ones would also be fine), and of course with the all the original sound effects and all the original music. Does this possibility exist? If this doesn't exist yet, perhaps I will wait before starting it up.

cress2000

I want to start the Higurashi games soon, but am drowning in information about how to tweak MangaGamer's butchered release(yes I know it wasn't all their fault).

From what I have read, there is still no stable complete sound effect patch...the version 2 release is stable, but lacking many of them. And I am also confused in regards to if the music patch is complete or not. Seems it may only be for parts 1-4?

I may be an idiot, but I find it very difficult to navigate the "Tweaking Higurashi wiki".

It would be a HUGE help if anybody could give a bit of a primer of the current state of the various Higurashi patches so I at least know what to aim and search for.

Ideally I'd like to play it with the original sprites and backgrounds(though the PS2 ones would also be fine), and of course with the all the original sound effects and all the original music. Does this possibility exist? If this doesn't exist yet, perhaps I will wait before starting it up.

MangaGamer's release already uses the original sprites and backgrounds. So that part's covered.

BGM/SFX is tricky. I know next to nothing about the current state of patches publicly available, but I do recall a complete original BGM patch out there for the question arcs half. Kai has some technical limitations that make it tough to restore completely.

I did, however, make some BGM/SFX patches for my own use for future read-throughs, but would gladly can give them out if you (or anyone else) are at all interested, but there are some caveats:

1) The BGM soundtrack for the first half is largely custom. I strongly dislike the vast majority of the original Japanese soundtrack for it (it isn't composed by gods who did the Kai half and Umineko; it sounds as amateurish as the art looks IMO). Basically, it restores one original Japanese track, keeps a few of MangaGamer's, and the rest is carefully selected stuff from the Japanese Kai and Rei which matches up on a contextual basis. And if the track was on the OST, I encoded it from that in higher quality.

2) It's way harder to restore BGM/SFX properly in the Kai half, so I couldn't do it completely (but I did as much as I could). I'm having a hell of time putting why exactly into comprehensible words. But the net result is that MG's version is short several tracks and SFX and there aren't any file references to the missing stuff. So the parts originally intended to use the missing assets use something else. This wasn't an issue in the first half because all the file references are there. So I was forced to choose one item or the other for Kai.

3) I swiped the glass shattering sound from Umineko, as I think it's much better. But the rest of the effects are Japanese Higurashi originals.

If I haven't scared you away, hit me up if you're interested in my patches. I tested every episode after finishing it using fast forward and I didn't encounter any stability issues.

Kusano123

Neo Member
Good news for those waiting ( like me ) for otome wa boku ni koishiteru
as we have a solid date ..and the game is now available for preordering !!!!

Date is the 23 november 2012

SOURCE

This is gonna be great ..

Hopefully this will sell well enough that we can get the sequel ( in a few years maybe ? )

Totally want the sequel.

Chihaya>Mizuho

Ra1den

MangaGamer's release already uses the original sprites and backgrounds. So that part's covered.

BGM/SFX is tricky. I know next to nothing about the current state of patches publicly available, but I do recall a complete original BGM patch out there for the question arcs half. Kai has some technical limitations that make it tough to restore completely.

I did, however, make some BGM/SFX patches for my own use for future read-throughs, but would gladly can give them out if you (or anyone else) are at all interested, but there are some caveats:

1) The BGM soundtrack for the first half is largely custom. I strongly dislike the vast majority of the original Japanese soundtrack for it (it isn't composed by gods who did the Kai half and Umineko; it sounds as amateurish as the art looks IMO). Basically, it restores one original Japanese track, keeps a few of MangaGamer's, and the rest is carefully selected stuff from the Japanese Kai and Rei which matches up on a contextual basis. And if the track was on the OST, I encoded it from that in higher quality.

2) It's way harder to restore BGM/SFX properly in the Kai half, so I couldn't do it completely (but I did as much as I could). I'm having a hell of time putting why exactly into comprehensible words. But the net result is that MG's version is short several tracks and SFX and there aren't any file references to the missing stuff. So the parts originally intended to use the missing assets use something else. This wasn't an issue in the first half because all the file references are there. So I was forced to choose one item or the other for Kai.

3) I swiped the glass shattering sound from Umineko, as I think it's much better. But the rest of the effects are Japanese Higurashi originals.

If I haven't scared you away, hit me up if you're interested in my patches. I tested every episode after finishing it using fast forward and I didn't encounter any stability issues.

That is quite an effort you put in! Thanks a bunch.

Totally want the sequel.

Chihaya>Mizuho
That's because he had a more intresting background to work on ..both are great.

Are there any translated for the ps3? I downloaded Robotics;Note demo from the JPN PSN few days ago and it seemed fun from what I played!

No ..you'll have some translated on Psp( or fan translated on Ds /psp )
Virtue last reward is releasing on 3ds/vita in a few days ..but nothing on PS3 as far as i'm aware .

( i'm talking translated )..there are plenty of game on PS3 if you can read japanese

So I'm currently enjoying 999 and I decided I might give the visual novel genre a second chance, but as soon as I read that OP it made me think again... Except for 999, A Scar Of The Doll, Snatcher, Hotel Dusk and Policenauts why on earth do all visual novels have that incredibly cringe worthy weeabo animu style? It boggles the mind... O.O

I want to play a new VNI was thinking about Muv Luv or Sengoku Rance? Or one that runs on android, or even VN for Ds, except Hotel Dusk, cause I already played it.

Marche90

So I'm currently enjoying 999 and I decided I might give the visual novel genre a second chance, but as soon as I read that OP it made me think again... Except for 999, A Scar Of The Doll, Snatcher, Hotel Dusk and Policenauts why on earth do all visual novels have that incredibly cringe worthy weeabo animu style? It boggles the mind... O.O

A side-effect of some of the consumer base in Japan. They need to pander in order to sell decently sometimes. You might want to search vndb.org to see if you can find anything that caters to your tastes (search function might help there, or try asking here for something more specific.) However, sometimes looks can be deceptive. Muv-Luv is an example of what I mean if you go only with its art style, which contrast bizarrely with its story once you start reading alternative.

I want to play a new VNI was thinking about Muv Luv or Sengoku Rance? Or one that runs on android, or even VN for Ds, except Hotel Dusk, cause I already played it.

Rance is decent, but it doesn't hold a candle to Muv-Luv's story. Rance's gameplay is very good, very addictive, however. Still, go for Muv-Luv. MLA's story ranks pretty high, and is one of my favorite VN's ever (trailing only behind Steins;Gate)
For VNDS... Try Cross-Channel or Kira-Kira. I love the latter and the former is pretty good.

Anyone here ever played One ~To the Radiant Season~?

The art style is hideous, so I haven't, but I think that it might be decent, since the folks behind Kanon and Clannad are behind it

So, what are some great visual novels that have little to none hentai scenes? I'm a bit interested in trying some. I've played Ever17 and 999 and enjoyed them a lot. Was curious about Saya no Uta if only because I really like the writer. I dig mystery, horror, and drama/thriller type stuff.

So, what are some great visual novels that have little to none hentai scenes? I'm a bit interested in trying some. I've played Ever17 and 999 and enjoyed them a lot. Was curious about Saya no Uta if only because I really like the writer. I dig mystery, horror, and drama/thriller type stuff.

Something with no hentai ?

You can try :
Aoioshiro (fantasy / drama / action )
Aselia the eternal ( rpg / fantasy )
Umineko no naku koro ni ( mystery/drama/thriller/fantasy )

You can try :

Thanks and yeah, I don't mind a little bit of it. I guess I just want it to feel like it's actually part of the story and not just some really random scene/fanservice.

You can try :

I haven't played the others but I also recommend Umineko that I actually finished today. It has some annoyances like few pacing issues but when it's good it's like REALLY good. Music is also great.

Thanks and yeah, I don't mind a little bit of it. I guess I just want it to feel like it's actually part of the story and not just some really random scene/fanservice.

if you don't mind a little bit of hentai ( just a little ) then you should try :

-Cross channel
-G-Senjou no Maou/ The Devil on the G-String
-Katawa shojo

Those have extremely great stories IMO

if you want more after g-senjou , then go toward : Sharin no Kuni, Himawari no Shoujo

If you don't mind a little bit of tactical management , then you should try the 3 galaxy angel games [no hentai in those ]

Rance is decent, but it doesn't hold a candle to Muv-Luv's story. Rance's gameplay is very good, very addictive, however. Still, go for Muv-Luv. MLA's story ranks pretty high, and is one of my favorite VN's ever (trailing only behind Steins;Gate)
For VNDS... Try Cross-Channel or Kira-Kira. I love the latter and the former is pretty good.
I already played Kira-Kira, I think I'll play Muv Luv since it has a good story and a lot people already told me to play it.

40$ is a steep price for a visual novel :/
I didn't like the ending of the anime and if the game's ending is anything like it, I'd hate it.

the game has good and bad ending ... the anime went full bad end route ..but you can avoid such a fate in the vns

Small update for this thread .

Otoboku is out and i was able to try it at a friend 's house .
No money in wallet after Creed 3, Nfs & tales of xillia so i couldn't buy it

Anyway the game is 6 years old but it doesn't look bad at all ..

The sound effects are outdated but other than that it's a clear and clean game ..with some nice presentation effects throw in.

The translation is also well done with bit of trivia

3crjyl.jpg

The game is quite enjoyable..so far mangagamer delivered a solid and good package.

Kudos to them

Small update for this thread .

Otoboku is out and i was able to try it at a friend 's house .
No money in wallet after Creed 3, Nfs & tales of xillia so i couldn't buy it

Anyway the game is 6 years old but it doesn't look bad at all ..

The sound effects are outdated but other than that it's a clear and clean game ..with some nice presentation effects throw in.

The translation is also well done with bit of trivia

3crjyl.jpg

The game is quite enjoyable..so far mangagamer delivered a solid and good package.

Kudos to them

Game looks pretty. Will try it eventually...

Small update for Otoboku ..

Playing this game at a friend's actually encourages me to get it myself.

The trivia bits are actually very intresting and the game itself is divided between chapters each with his own preview movie.

The game's pretty cool and the localisation seems appropriate .

Oh man... This topic... There are so many to choose from! >.< I've finished 999 and Virtue's Last Reward, and want to move onto another VN eventually. Obviously, all the titles on this list are good, but I need help deciding which ones are among the best on the list.

I know for sure Ever17 is one to pick up, but as far as I can tell, there's no easy way of getting the game short of resorting to... questionable methods. And even then, I'm not sure which source would be safe to get the game from. >.> Anyone able to suggest a course of action? Or am I better off just youtube-ing the game?

Saya no Uta is another one from this topic that somewhat intrigued me, but then I read more about it's horrifying descriptions and sex scenes and I decided to watch a couple minutes on youtube to judge for myself... Holy crap that freaked me out. I think I'm gonna have to work my way up to something of that level. >.>

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
Small update for Otoboku ..

Playing this game at a friend's actually encourages me to get it myself.

The trivia bits are actually very intresting and the game itself is divided between chapters each with his own preview movie.

The game's pretty cool and the localisation seems appropriate .

You play eroge at a friend's house?

Vibed

About two weeks or so before VLR, I decided to play Ever 17. I had gotten You's ending and things were going smoothly, then VLR came and I put it aside. I came back a few weeks later to get a good way into Tsugumi's route, then I stopped again because of other games and life.

So I'm coming back to it, and I'm wondering if anyone could give me a synopsis of the important plot points and events from You's route and the first three and a half days of Tsugumi's? (technically Tanaka's.)

Also, from reading the VLR threads people gave away that
something in the game, (I presume the headaches from Kid/the Kid himself) is the player. I think in that other thread it was also hinted that there's timeline jumping by the player for the Kid to know those things he knows.
. I'm sure it's a big spoiler, but will it take away any significant enjoyment from Coco's ending?

Also, from reading the VLR threads people gave away that
something in the game, (I presume the headaches from Kid/the Kid himself) is the player. I think it was hinted in that other thread that there's timeline jumping by the player for the Kid to know those things he knows too.
. I'm sure it's a big spoiler, but will it take away any significant enjoyment from Coco's ending?
You need to slog through all routes in order to get the through ending, and it absolutely drags because you go multiple through six minutes spurts of dialogue skipping. Depending on which route you've ended up on first, you may have gotten the major plot twists out of the way ahead of time.

All I can say is bear with it and eat many sandwiches during the skip time, because the true ending makes it all worthwhile.

Vibed

You need to slog through all routes in order to get the through ending, and it absolutely drags because you go multiple through six minutes spurts of dialogue skipping. Depending on which route you've ended up on first, you may have gotten the major plot twists out of the way ahead of time.

All I can say is bear with it and eat many sandwiches during the skip time, because the true ending makes it all worthwhile.

That didn't answer my question...unless you're saying it doesn't take away very much at all. I know the ending will be worth it no matter what, I'm just wondering if anything significant is lost in knowing ahead of time. For example, you can still enjoy 999 if you played VLR, but you won't enjoy it as much, as if something important was taken from it.

That didn't answer my question...unless you're saying it doesn't take away very much at all.
Oh sorry. Knowing the spoiler that you know is only the tip of the mindblowing iceberg. I was more responding to the unfortunateness of having to earn the completion flags of all the other endings before you can attempt the coco route.

Ra1den

That didn't answer my question...unless you're saying it doesn't take away very much at all. I know the ending will be worth it no matter what, I'm just wondering if anything significant is lost in knowing ahead of time. For example, you can still enjoy 999 if you played VLR, but you won't enjoy it as much, as if something important was taken from it.

Don't worry about that "spoiler" too much. The real crazy stuff is elsewhere. Furthermore, you are unaware of the particulars of what you read. It's seriously convoluted and likely will leave you scratching your head with questions, even after seeing everything.

Just sit back and enjoy the madness unfold. Your mind will be melted.

Don't worry about that "spoiler" too much. The real crazy stuff is elsewhere. Furthermore, you are unaware of the particulars of what you read. It's seriously convoluted and likely will leave you scratching your head with questions, even after seeing everything.

Just sit back and enjoy the madness unfold. Your mind will be melted.

So it's like going int 999 knowing that
June/Akane is Zero?
I unfortunately had that spoiled for me, but 999 was still crazy amazing!

God Dammit, now I really need to get Ever17 and start playing it! (But where to go?!? o_O)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom