• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

English Translated Japanese Visual Novel/ADV Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shoyz

Okay, so it doesn't have a discernible able effect on potential endings or anything? I understand that this may be veering into potential spoiler territory, so feel free to answer accordingly.

I can tell you that whether or not you pick up your phone in the first place can have an affect on your path/ending.
For example,
Makise is pleasently surprised if you don't answer your phone in the middle of a conversation. Might be important for going on a Makise path.

cj_iwakura

Have a theory about what happened on the first day of S;G, ridicule if insane.

I think that Suzuha came back to kill Kurisu and that somehow Okabe's text stopped it from happening.

Also, I loved the backstory about how he took on the mad scientist persona. Feels.

Necrovex

Have a theory about what happened on the first day of S;G, ridicule if insane.

I think that Suzuha came back to kill Kurisu and that somehow Okabe's text stopped it from happening.

Also, I loved the backstory about how he took on the mad scientist persona. Feels.

Oh man, I cannot wait for you to reach that point in the game.

aravuus

Looking for a suspenseful visual novel. I don't really have anything proper to compare... Maybe few of the routes in VLR where people just start ending up dead and you keep finding them, no idea who the killer is and so on.

So.. I don't know, murder mystery stuff I guess! Something that'll keep me on my toes.

Any recommendations? If nothing comes up I think I'll give G-senjou no Maou another try.

cj_iwakura

Looking for a suspenseful visual novel. I don't really have anything proper to compare... Maybe few of the routes in VLR where people just start ending up dead and you keep finding them, no idea who the killer is and so on.

So.. I don't know, murder mystery stuff I guess! Something that'll keep me on my toes.

Any recommendations? If nothing comes up I think I'll give G-senjou no Maou another try.

Phenomeno gave me the chills at some points.

Necrovex

999 (and then Good People Die/Virtue's Last Reward) seems to be right up your alley. If you own a DS of course. Otherwise

androvsky

So, uh, I don't suppose there's an English patch for Sentimental Graffiti? According to the PS Blogcast it's coming to the US as a PS1 import next week. :/

Javier

YU-NO! As I said in my previous post in this thread this game is amazing and has a very similar layout to VLR with a flowchart and multiple endings.

Be warned, though. The game is an eroge in case you're not into that kind of stuff, but it's relatively mild compared to other similar games.

Doesn't change the fact the plot is amazing, though.

Chrysalis

I'm halfway through Umineko no Naku Koro ni. It definitely fits the bill, though I know some people were left unsatisfied by the ending. Enjoying the crap out of it so far.

aravuus

Phenomeno gave me the chills at some points.

I have the thread subbed so I'll definitely try it out later!

999 (and then Good People Die/Virtue's Last Reward) seems to be right up your alley. If you own a DS of course. Otherwise

Ah yeah, I meant Virtue's Last Reward with VLR, and since I've played it, I've obviously also played 999. Sorry about that :V
Absolutely fantastic ones though, some of the best games I've played in recent years and some of the best stories I've experienced ever.

YU-NO! As I said in my previous post in this thread this game is amazing and has a very similar layout to VLR with a flowchart and multiple endings.

Be warned, though. The game is an eroge in case you're not into that kind of stuff, but it's relatively mild compared to other similar games.

Doesn't change the fact the plot is amazing, though.

Ah yeah, it doesn't really matter. I'd rather take one with no eroge stuff, but it most certainly doesn't ruin a good story. Thanks, I'll check it out later!

I'm halfway through Umineko no Naku Koro ni. It definitely fits the bill, though I know some people were left unsatisfied by the ending. Enjoying the crap out of it so far.

I think I've read some good stuff about this one. It seems like it's a third in a series, does it have anything to do with the first two VNs or is it completely standalone?

Thanks to you all for the suggestions, these will probably keep me occupied for a few weeks!

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
I think I've read some good stuff about this one. It seems like it's a third in a series, does it have anything to do with the first two VNs or is it completely standalone?

Thanks to you all for the suggestions, these will probably keep me occupied for a few weeks!

It's completely stand alone it just has some references and cameos from Higurashi but nothing important to the story.

Alright, thanks. Just noticed it's also apparently pretty goddamn long :V
Approximately how long is each of the eight arcs?

Took me perhaps 3-4h per arc if I remember correctly but I am super slow reader :lol.

Umineko is my favourite VN. It is just so crazy and it trolls the reader all the time. Also some of the situations are brilliant. And most surprisingly I found the humour absolutely hilarious at places witch is really strange on such a VN.

Only thing I didn't like was perhaps a little dissapointing ending and the art took a little while to get used to. But I kinda see it like LOST how the journey is more than worth it even considering the ending.

I watched Higurashi + Higurashi Kai in anime form. Was pretty good but Umineko anime is terribly rushed when comparing to the VN and it only contains half of the story :(.

I am on the fence wether to recommend playing/watching Higurashi first. Umineko is fully self contained but you might get a little more out of it if you know Higurashi. Forgot to mention that Umineko OST is friggin great!

Remember 11... I've seen everything there is to see but I still don't know everything, not by a long shot.

It's not everyone's cup of tea, but to me it's the most fascinating puzzle of a story I've come across since Memento - and it's fucking scary.

Necrovex

Ah yeah, I meant Virtue's Last Reward with VLR, and since I've played it, I've obviously also played 999. Sorry about that :V
Absolutely fantastic ones though, some of the best games I've played in recent years and some of the best stories I've experienced ever.

999 is what got me into visual novels.

I also finished Tomb Raider and Sly Cooper, so I am going back to Steins; Gate in full force. I hope I didn't screw myself out of the true ending for SG with the way I handled the cell phone during the first half of the game. On chapter seven, time to plow through Faris!!

Dantis

Long way from finishing the Steins;Gate VN, but I started the anime to get a taste for the dub.

Wonderful stuff, especially Kyouma. (30 hours and I'm only at Chapter 5 of the VN...)

Only watching the first couple episodes, I always do the VN first, but at least this anime's supposed to be worth watching(and so far I agree).

Would you recommend it? It's one of the only visual novels that interests me.

Yirba

I loved the ending, so not everyone feels that way(just most).
I wouldn't even say most people feel that way. They just tend to be the most vocal about it.

Umineko is the successor to Higurashi. Whilst there's nothing stopping you from reading Umineko first, you'll get more out of it if you read Higurashi, which is a brilliant murder mystery story in its own right. In fact, whilst I prefer both stories, I actualy prefer Higurashi a tad.

Took me perhaps 3-4h per arc if I remember correctly but I am super slow reader :lol.
If that's so, you're certainly not a slow reader. Each arc took me about eight hours to read and I don't consider myself a slow reader. I've found that the average person takes approximately 12 hours (perhaps more) to read each arc. It'll likely take you over 100 hours to read the whole thing.

Umineko is the successor to Higurashi. Whilst there's nothing stopping you from reading Umineko first, you'll get more out of it if you read Higurashi, which is a brilliant murder mystery story in its own right. In fact, whilst I prefer both stories, I actualy prefer Higurashi a tad.

I disagree here. Umineko and Higurashi, although both extremely long, are in their own separate continuities and Umineko has no connection to the plot of Higurashi. To be purposefully vague there are some character references between the two series, but it's not assumed that you've read Higurashi. It's kind of like reading the original Doyle Holmes stories before watching any of the numerous adaptations - it's interesting to see reinterpretations, but everything's written under the assumption that you are unfamiliar with the original work.

But the major problem is that Higurashi's translation is simply bad. The first 4 books are terribly edited (although this can be fixed by a fan-edit, if you can find it...), the next 3 much better, and the last book is terrible again. Despite being a fan-translation, Umineko is much more painless to read through - I suggest you start with Umineko. If you enjoy it, then go back to Higurashi and you'll be able to keep reminding yourself that underneath the poor English is a great murder mystery. If you start with Higurashi I fear it may just put you off the whole series.

I disagree here. Umineko and Higurashi, although both extremely long, are in their own separate continuities and Umineko has no connection to the plot of Higurashi. To be purposefully vague there are some character references between the two series, but it's not assumed that you've read Higurashi. It's kind of like reading the original Doyle Holmes stories before watching any of the numerous adaptations - it's interesting to see reinterpretations, but everything's written under the assumption that you are unfamiliar with the original work.

But the major problem is that Higurashi's translation is simply bad. The first 4 books are terribly edited (although this can be fixed by a fan-edit, if you can find it...), the next 3 much better, and the last book is terrible again. Despite being a fan-translation, Umineko is much more painless to read through - I suggest you start with Umineko. If you enjoy it, then go back to Higurashi and you'll be able to keep reminding yourself that underneath the poor English is a great murder mystery. If you start with Higurashi I fear it may just put you off the whole series.

Isn't there a MASSIVE connection between Higurashi and Umineko with
Bernkastel being a collection of the cruel side of Rika which was created after experiencing horrible deaths for over a century's worth of rewound time?

Bernkastel being a collection of the cruel side of Rika which was created after experiencing horrible deaths for over a century's worth of rewound time?

Granted, that's just an interpretation. A heavily, heavily implied one...
But really, Bern's character motivation for everything she does is that she's bored and evil. If you played Higurashi you'll think that Bern is the result of the events of that story, if you didn't play Higurashi you'll think that Bern is the result of some other vaguely explained time-loop disaster. Either way, it explains why she's bored and evil - the difference is just a continuity nod.

Actually you're right umineko and higurashi are in the same multiverse. ( for one of the reason stated above )

But really, Bern's character motivation for everything she does is that she's bored and evil. If you played Higurashi you'll think that Bern is the result of the events of that story, if you didn't play Higurashi you'll think that Bern is the result of some other vaguely explained time-loop disaster. Either way, it explains why she's bored and evil - the difference is just a continuity nod.

I disagree. Even higurashi had featherine in it. Not getting the connexion if you haven't played the sequel doesn't indicate that there isn't a connexion. The fact that even the extra umineko stuff mention themes and characters Before they appear in the game only strenghten the fact that both worlds are tied.

Chrysalis

here's a random question. I get that VN's have music. Is it standard for VN's to have voice work as well? (or are VLR, 999, and PS3 ports of VN's the exceptions)?

here's a random question. I get that VN's have music. Is it standard for VN's to have voice work as well? (or are VLR, 999, and PS3 ports of VN's the exceptions)?

Anything released After 2001 on cd support except long series with a hard to change tradition ( like "rance" for example ) should have voice work.

Not everything will be voiced.. after a certain point , you get some VNs that are full voice featured ( every character including the main protagonist in some rare cases ) but that didn't become the norm untill few years ago.

The console ports have usually more voice work than the pc releases as they are often "upgraded versions".

If a Vn doesn't have voice work , then it means that it was done on a very tight/small budget. That can still happen to this day. but it's becoming rare. Everything commercial will have voice work , even if it's not complete.

Is it really an interpretation if it's been confirmed in an interview?

Is it really an interpretation if it's been confirmed in an interview?

Not only it was confirmed but it was quite reinforced afterwards in Dawn of the Golden Witch by both erika & bernkastel talks and "Lambdadelta" informations. and the TIPS collection in "Umineko no Naku Koro ni Tsubasa"

The evidence is quite diverse and varied

Not only it was confirmed but it was quite reinforced afterwards in Dawn of the Golden Witch by both erika & bernkastel talks and "Lambdadelta" informations. and the TIPS collection in "Umineko no Naku Koro ni Tsubasa"

The evidence is quite diverse and varied

=( Alright, I admit defeat. I still think within the original work they were never explicit, but very "hint, hint, nudge, nudge" about it, but I don't have a familiarity with the supplementary material.

...I'm not retracting my second point though!

Yirba

As I said, there's nothing stopping you from reading Umineko first. It's perfectly fine to do so. However, reading Higurashi first would help you to understand some things in Umineko such as
Bernkastel, Lambdadelta and (possibly) Featherine's motives
as well as
the whole concept of kakera

I'll just say this: I read Higurashi first and loved it. Because I loved it so much, I moved onto Umineko. Sure, the translation isn't brilliant, but it's readable for the most part. Of course, if you just can't stand typos and ungrammatical sentences, then perhaps it'd be best to skip to Umineko. I don't think Higurashi's translation is as bad as everyone says it is.

You'd be missing out on a wonderful story if you skip Higurashi, though.

Higanbana and Rose Guns Days are also fine stories, of course.

Necrovex

I don't know about always. Otherwise I'd be watching K-On and listening to Idol songs.

And that's just not happening. ;)

I am simply aiming to turn you into a stronger person. See it as training your mind to endure even worse things than K-On, Hatsune Miku, and AKB0048.

Chrysalis

But that's what makes it so intriguing. :)

Ever 17 left me cold as it gives the entire game away in the true ending, and I don't think a good mystery novel should do that. The writer for Remember 11 was clearly thinking along the same lines after Ever 17.

I like puzzles with definite solutions. I attempt to put the pieces together along the way and then find out at the end whether my reconstruction of the truth is anywhere close. This way, though, I have no confidence that I was right or, even, that there was a legitimate solution.

That said, I can understand a little bit. I have a relationship with a movie (Primer) wherein I don't look at all of the solutions that can be found online. I am perfectly content for it to be a puzzle that I pick at in small bits for the rest of my life. However, I know for certain that the movie has a solution because it is available- I simply choose not to make use of it.

Javier

Regardless of what happened internally, Remember 11 is clearly an unfinished game. Even when you finish the last possible route
you get a "This story is not yet over" notice.

If you've finished Ever 17,
imagine that game but take out the Coco route entirely. Remember 11 is basically that.

No since the pc version came after the first version ( more than a year after )

What Thanatos said. If you read the very last tip you get having seen every single ending (including the bad ends), it gives a vital clue alluding that the enigmatic true ending was the finished article
and the game played you for a fool from the very beginning.
:)

In contrast the
Coco route in Ever 17 was just embarrassing. When Sora suddenly appears in human form I half expected her to come out with 'You've just been punked!' or something, and then everybody takes a photograph on the boat, grinning like idiots in the sun like everything is normal and fine. Ugh, what a cop out.

I like puzzles with definite solutions. I attempt to put the pieces together along the way and then find out at the end whether my reconstruction of the truth is anywhere close. This way, though, I have no confidence that I was right or, even, that there was a legitimate solution.

That said, I can understand a little bit. I have a relationship with a movie (Primer) wherein I don't look at all of the solutions that can be found online. I am perfectly content for it to be a puzzle that I pick at in small bits for the rest of my life. However, I know for certain that the movie has a solution because it is available- I simply choose not to make use of it.

I totally read that in Morpheus' voice, and it's a fair comment.

Regardless of what happened internally, Remember 11 is clearly an unfinished game. Even when you finish the last possible route
you get a "This story is not yet over" notice.

If you've finished Ever 17,
imagine that game but take out the Coco route entirely. Remember 11 is basically that.

Yah, that to me is what made Remember 11 disappointing. Did anyone bother with the Never 7 fan translation? I'm a bit curious how it compares to the aforementioned Ever and Remember VNs.

Javier

Yah, that to me is what made Remember 11 disappointing. Did anyone bother with the Never 7 fan translation? I'm a bit curious how it compares to the aforementioned Ever and Remember VNs.
Never 7 is actually pretty good. It's more focused on character and romance, though, so don't expect Ever 17-level of mindfuck. It still has its fair share of scientific stuff and plot twists, although they don't start showing up until you're more advanced into the routes.

If you played the Zero Escape games, though, you might want to check Never 7 out. There's a nice little connection between the games. (Besides having the same writer).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom