• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

English Translated Japanese Visual Novel/ADV Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well I'd give Fred money if I thought it'd actually end up being good, so that means I wont.

Well, it's still nice to see crowd funding for a high-budget OELVN. Hence why I'm supporting it.

Why if my group actually had money we might have actually managed to finish our dang trilogy...

aravuus

If you're already reading Alternative, the pace doesn't pick up until the 5-10 hour mark
(gotta get past the Unlimited events again).
Alt is 40-50 hours long and it's linear (aside from a few choices here and there that just changes the dialog), so you've got a lot to look forward to. Enjoy the ride.

Muntu. Just wait until you hit the good parts of Alternative. You'll start to shit bricks left and right.

Ah, happy to hear it, sounds promising to say the least. Gonna start reading it tomorrow, surprisingly excited about it!

I'm going to be posting a lot, you can bet on it :lol

Danj

I feel a bit out of the loop. Should I read Megatokyo? And if yes, how much is there to read?

Ehhhh.... it wasn't bad when it first started, over a decade ago, but what with the irregular and increasingly lengthy update intervals I lost interest several years ago.

Holy shit has it really been 13 years since Megatokyo started o_O

upandaway

Ah, happy to hear it, sounds promising to say the least. Gonna start reading it tomorrow, surprisingly excited about it!

I'm going to be posting a lot, you can bet on it :lol
Post everything! I'm not really replying to them because I can't come up with anything besides "can't wait till you <black text>" posts, but your reactions have been fun.

It starts out a silly Japan-centric otaku comedy, turns into some seriously melodramatic shoujo stuff(which I enjoyed), and now I'm not too sure WHAT'S going on.

There was a time where the crazy was entertaining with all the otaku references and stuff.
i dunno why i lost interest.

aravuus

Post everything! I'm not really replying to them because I can't come up with anything besides "can't wait till you <black text>" posts, but your reactions have been fun.

Haha yeah, true.

From the opening it seems like a fairly high budget production, but goddamn if the engrish isn't hilarious :V

"there's not just one... many more!!"

Also, it's incredible how simple moving mouths make the characters livelier.

Labrys

For people interested, the Dangan Ronpa English patch should be out later today!
its-coming-1.png

aravuus

I'm a few hours in Muv Luv Alternative, and Takeru may have done the biggest goddamn 180 I have ever seen lol

He's actually very reasonable,
fucking around with time travel and trying to steer the future to your liking is something usually used to bring more drama to the story, I don't think I've come across many stories that had someone go back in time and actually turn things for the better. Takeru realizes this. I don't know why he would, but I'm just going to assume he has been experiencing some crazy shit during the two year timeskip in Unlimited and learned to think fast.
Suspension of disbelief because I like this Takeru so much more than the one in the first two games.

I hope the relationships are going to be different.
I want the girls to be a bit colder towards him - friends, sure, but not fucking head over heels in love with him right away, or rather, at all. It only makes sense.
But when I've only read a few hours of a supposedly holy shit i'm dizzy long vn, I really shouldn't judge yet.

I'm a bit disappointed the character sprites are exactly the same as before. Pretty sure the backgrounds have been redrawn, I think the characters should have been too.

e: also a bit confused about Takeru's voice acting. Usually there's none, but sometimes the lines are voiced. I wonder if it has something to do with the story.

(also good thing, his voice is fucking irritating lol)

Rarutos

It is pretty fantastic!! I love how colorful it is! Ren is such a cute puppy but when he talks I laugh a bit.

Which route did you finish? I finished Koujaku's route last night. Got the good end! It was super sweet! Also an unexpected funny moment at the end!

I AM REALLY LATE (sorry!) but, I finished Clear's first! I agree, Ren is ridiculously adorable. I can't wait to read more! I haven't gotten back to it in a while...

Labrys

I assume that since it's on the PSP this isn't an eroge, but that's some really suggestive dialogue o_O

Yeah, I just used the images in the "It's coming..." post. Seemed appropriate (heh), but I think he's talking about his stuffing (assuming he's a teddy bear and not a real one)
You need a psp with CFW for that, right? Or does this play well on an emulator?

Not sure if I can/want to go back to that from the vita, but this game seems very interesting.

Yeah, you'd need CFW. I hear it runs okay except for movies and voices on an Emulator, not sure if it crashes or they don't play.

aravuus

Now there's that "every1 came to c u takru and we all blushing~~~" ehhhhh

I have to know, is there any sexual content in ML Alt? The suits are still hilarious, but in short, will Takeru fuck someone? Because right now I feel it would take away from my experience quite a lot, there was more than enough of that in the first two parts.

Just a simple yes or no answer will suffice so I can mentally prepare for some unneeded stupidity tia

e: aside from my petty fears, it has been very good indeed! nothing truly radical has happened yet, at least
takeru now sees that kasumi has to do something with sumika
but that's about it. they HAVE to have a new writer for this, the dialogue is very fluent and natural, it's very nice to read

Now there's that "every1 came to c u takru and we all blushing~~~" ehhhhh

I have to know, is there any sexual content in ML Alt? The suits are still hilarious, but in short, will Takeru fuck someone? Because right now I feel it would take away from my experience quite a lot, there was more than enough of that in the first two parts.

Just a simple yes or no answer will suffice so I can mentally prepare for some unneeded stupidity tia

e: aside from my petty fears, it has been very good indeed! nothing truly radical has happened yet, at least
but that's about it. they HAVE to have a new writer for this, the dialogue is very fluent and natural, it's very nice to read

The answer is yes

aravuus

The answer is yes

Argh FFFFFFFFFFUCK

Well, nothing I can do about it but grin and bear it I guess. Goddamn Japanese writers and/or VN target audience, can't you enjoy a good story once in a while without nudity

I can't deny it, this does make me a bit mad

upandaway

Argh FFFFFFFFFFUCK

Well, nothing I can do about it but grin and bear it I guess. Goddamn Japanese writers and/or VN target audience, can't you enjoy a good story once in a while without nudity

Seeing your reaction I hope you're fine with a very very light and vague spoiler to settle you a little bit (if not feel free to skip):
It's not really what you think it is. At the very least, don't reserve your judgement yet, and don't let it annoy you before you've seen it.

Just got sidetracked into thinking about MLA in a traffic jam today. Took me about 10 minutes to snap out of it, and I was still thinking about it all the way home. So freaking detailed.

Seeing your reaction I hope you're fine with a very very light and vague spoiler to settle you a little bit (if not feel free to skip):
It's not really what you think it is. At the very least, don't reserve your judgement yet, and don't let it annoy you before you've seen it.

Just got sidetracked into thinking about MLA in a traffic jam today. Took me about 10 minutes to snap out of it, and I was still thinking about it all the way home. So freaking detailed.
If anything it's worse than what he's expecting.

Marche90

It's a weird thing here. There are, but only two at the very end, and is a single character only (you don't get to choose who). Don't fret just yet.

OnFire331

aside from my petty fears, it has been very good indeed! nothing truly radical has happened yet, at least

It's the same writer, believe it or not, the first two parts were done just for this (originally it was going to be just one game with the 3 parts, but they decided to expand the last part more). Glad you're liking it and if you think right now the VN is good, you're going to LOVE what's to come.

Argh FFFFFFFFFFUCK

It's a weird thing here. There are, but only two at the very end, and is a single character only (you don't get to choose who). Don't fret just yet.

aravuus

If anything it's worse than what he's expecting.

This doesn't make me feel very good lol

Although if it's at the very end, I guess it couldn't be THAT bad. But yeah, I'll just not think about it for now and try to not let it affect my enjoyment of the story. Maybe I'm making too big a deal about it.

It's the same writer, believe it or not, the first two parts were done just for this (originally it was going to be just one game with the 3 parts, but they decided to expand the last part more). Glad you're liking it and if you think right now the VN is good, you're going to LOVE what's to come.

This, on the other hand, makes me feel very good :V
I do have high hopes for the VN,
I just met the daddy Yoroi who was delightfully mysterious, and now the parallel universes stuff is slowly starting to become relevant.
And I fucking LOVE that kind of stuff mmmmm yessss.

Also making up theories in my head all the time. VLR taught me I'm usually wrong with these lmao, but it's still fun to come up with stuff!

(i totally read that without thinking upandaway... also i'll stop asking haha)

upandaway

I'm conflicted. On one hand, I wanna assure him on his fears because god knows I had mine going into MLA. On the other hand, I want to shut up and say nothing just so he can be surprised at how much he feared for nothing.

Though I really think at this point we shouldn't say anything more, since he's gonna finish it no matter what, just let him find out for himself regardless of how much he says he's worried.

OnFire331

I'm conflicted. On one hand, I wanna assure him on his fears because god knows I had mine going into MLA. On the other hand, I want to shut up and say nothing just so he can be surprised at how much he feared for nothing.

Though I really think at this point we shouldn't say anything more, since he's gonna finish it no matter what, just let him find out for himself regardless of how much he says he's worried.

Agreed. It's going to be great seeing the reactions especially as he's unspoiled on anything.

Don't read Muntu
Feared for nothing? There's that awful tentacle rape scene.

aravuus

Hey yay,
schrödinger's cat came up! The one thing to assure me the VN is going to be awesome! VLR had it, I think Ever17 also had it. Both absolutely phenomenal VNs.

Well, it was more like schrödinger's apple but eh

and kasumi is adorable aw

e:
and now we know what she is! i thought it has been pretty obvious for a while now so i was sure takeru would catch on before it actually had to be explained to him, but i guess i'm just smarter than him! heh heh

upandaway

Don't read Muntu
Feared for nothing? There's that awful tentacle rape scene.
For some reason, Marimo's death was a thousand times worse for me than the rape scene. I couldn't stay in the dark for 5 minutes for a week afterwards. I was seriously angry at the game for pulling that off on me like that, but after the next arc it was obvious why it had to be that way and that they were perfectly in control of what they were doing with the scene and the story. Same thing with the rape scene. Down to the the stupidly long narration, everything worked to make it come off in a certain way.

aravuus

Goddamn assholes
pulled a Coup d'état, and right when Yuuko's plan was going to start really rolling! I AGREE WITH YOU TAKERU THESE PEOPLE ARE IDIOTS

FUCK

Also loving the music on the more serious parts

aravuus

Ah, umm...

No.
But I assume I would have just met Sagiri and maybe learnt some minute details about him that would have been cool foreshadowing, but ultimately not very important to the plot.

I really really really just wanted to be finished with Extra and Unlimited.

e: I wasn't hopeful BUT YESSSSSSS
the American eishi speak engrish, not japanese :V

"YOU ASSHORE!!" HAHAHAHA oh man

e2: eh, the last few hours have been pretty boring tbh,
just running away from rebels, looking at maps.. and maps.. and her highness being maiyu's sister, i was expecting this.. then more maps.. and maps.. and maps. tsukuyomi's and major america's argument was good though and now they are surrounded by the main rebel baddie ass himself so i think it's gonna pick up again here

aravuus

I don't think this spoils anything but I'll still link it

http://i.imgur.com/7TFU2ps.png

FINLAND REPRESENT! Nicest gal of the whole story is Finnish, VN of the decade confirmed!

e: http://i.imgur.com/I8AGWGG.jpg oh.......

I take that back

Seriously though, I know it's minor and blah blah but it's pretty surreal to see your country come up like this when the only other places they talk about are Japan and US. Now I understand how some people fluent in Japanese feel like when people just give random Japanese-sounding names to their characters though, cause Thesleff is most certainly not a surname and nobody would name their son Miki :V

e2: and now it's over...
i'm going to be perfectly frank - it wasn't very interesting. it dropped every single interesting plot thread for some political stuff for over 5 hours. most of it was either takeru thinking about something, or someone giving a 15-minute speech that could have been presented in 2 minutes. not a big fan of that. still, at least takeru faced a massive amount of character development. i'm super glad they skipped kei and sagiri's relationship almost completely though! i was afraid it'd come up

it did achieve a feeling of kind of... massiveness perfectly though. very little happened on-screen but the writer did a good job of convincing me there's a lot of shit going down in the background.

e3: and now takeru's
back in the original world. sumika's "you're weird today" made me think that it'd be pretty cool if takeru did manage to come back to the original world for good, but he'd be too different from the takeru from 3 years back, and everyone would feel a bit freaked out around him. sumika wouldn't love him anymore etc. and i don't think it would be very unrealistic either, 3 years of war's worth of experiences and memories really change a man. expecting a happy ending though.... sigh, not enough sad endings man!

it did achieve a feeling of kind of... massiveness perfectly though. very little happened on-screen but the writer did a good job of convincing me there's a lot of shit going down in the background.

This pleases Kouki. Just keep reading. It gets better, although the political stuff is prolly one of the better parts of the ML universe, I feel.

aravuus

This pleases Kouki. Just keep reading. It gets better, although the political stuff is prolly one of the better parts of the ML universe, I feel.

Haha lol, yeah it's alright, no doubt about that, I just felt that particular arc was a bit dragged out. The political squabble itself was interesting, and I'm usually all in on that kind of stuff, but here it's overshadowed by the quantum physics mindfuckery which is just awesome. And now I get to see more Kasumi again yay!

e: now that I think about it, my earlier post does make it look like I didn't like the arc at all. I did, it was enjoyable. I mean, I did read it all in one go after all..

e2: oh snap,
beta in the middle of a mock battle! this gonna be sweet B)

OHHHHH and takeru fucking lost it.. please no ten hour long angst plzzzzzz

e3: ................................................................................................. did that seriously just happen
what the fuck

e4: massive mla spoilers ohaithere.jpg /spoilersspoilersss

that was............... really something. was it really necessary to smash her face in so hard.............. i was fucking eating when this happened jesus christ :V

e5: oh hey yeah nice,
why didn't you rape her takeru, would have made you feel real good!

fuck this story is taking a huge turn to the depressing as FUCK, i think it's time to take a short pause and play some rogue legacy or something :V

aravuus

GODDAMN IT I FUCKING KNEW THIS WOULD HAPPEN

Jeusxsaaio a isuhdsf just leave Marimo alone what the fuckkkkkkkkkkkkk

why is this even happening though, nothing went on that would have inspired the stalker to do something like that in the original world... Quantum causality? I remember Yuuko talking about something like that in Extra.

Goddamn it you people, you shouldn't have encouraged me to endure Extra and Unlimited, this VN is just way too fucking depressing lmao :V

e: oh shit double post sorry, forgot neogaf didn't have that auto-merge for a second

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8149/7465634192_0461e0c06d_b.jpg

you smug motherfucker,
give takeru a break once in a while lol

aravuus

Aw man now I'm hearing those chewing sounds againnn

Like I posted on facepunch

the award for the most surprising and "in your fucking face reader get depressed motherfucker" death in the history of Japanese media goes to Muv Luv Alternative.

I have to say, that was one of the most shocking deaths I've experienced in media. In a way, it was a lot like real life, you really really just don't expect it and when it hits, your mind goes completely blank. Fucking cruel.

upandaway

Be a bit careful with the spoilers there, the whole page is a black bar mess anyway so might as well go all out.

But anyway yeah, when you're done with MLA go back and read my reaction a few pages back.
I was seriously scared of being in the dark for a while after that. Not gonna say anymore yet though.

aravuus

Ah yea you're right, sorry about that.

I wish Takeru would forget about Sumika and Meiya for a second and start fixing shit, this is too depressing. Or actually, get rid of the love triangle first, I fucking hate love triangles. Then START FIXINGGG

e:
oh oh OHHH something mysterious is going on, memory loss all around. i love the music that plays on these parts.. takeru really can't get a break, goddamn

e2:
this quantum causality lady is one horrible bitch, takeru finally sees some light at the end of the tunnel when he notices sumika doesn't forget him, he gets to tell her his feelings... only to have her forget about him. goddamn, slow the hell down world, it's a small wonder takeru hasn't killed himself yet

e3: ............. okay so it can get even worse

if I had to give ML Alt a subtitle

it would be "what pure evil would be if it was a VN"

OnFire331

:lol Muntu your reactions are great.
I really found what happened after *CHOMP* in the Extra branch was even worse than the chomp scene itself. Never would I have imagined that it could possibly get worse than that.

007e.jpg

Engrave in your mind the name Yoshimune Kouki, the man who gave you immeasurable DESPAIR.

aravuus

:lol Muntu your reactions are great.
I really found what happened after *CHOMP* in the Extra branch was even worse than the chomp scene itself. Never would I have imagined that it could possibly get worse than that.

Yeah,
the scene itself was really shocking but everything that has been happening after that has been just... Depressing. Inconceivably depressing. It's like it shocked you as well as it could to make you understand this vn does not fucking joke around, and when it got you into the mood, it pulled out the big depression guns

007e.jpg

Engrave in your mind the name Yoshimune Kouki, the man who gave you immeasurable DESPAIR.

Haha, the face will eternally shadow my life. Some day I'll find him and have my revenge on him for making me emotionally crippled. And that will be
the chomp scene
of my life.

And from there it will
never
get
any
better

How many "episodes" long is alternative, btw?
Takeru just came back to the other world and met the 00 unit (that's fucked up......)
and I'd like to know how far in I am.

e: oh you goddamn asshole,
introducing me to all these new, happy, nice girls... i can't wait to see them all die a gruesome, disgusting death!

OnFire331

Yeah,
the scene itself was really shocking but everything that has been happening after that has been just... Depressing. Inconceivably depressing. It's like it shocked you as well as it could to make you understand this vn does not fucking joke around, and when it got you into the mood, it pulled out the big depression guns

Haha, the face will eternally shadow my life. Some day I'll find him and have my revenge on him for making me emotionally crippled. And that will be
the chomp scene
of my life.

And from there it will
never
get
any
better

How many "episodes" long is alternative, btw?
Takeru just came back to the other world and met the 00 unit (that's fucked up......)
and I'd like to know how far in I am.

e: oh you goddamn asshole,
introducing me to all these new, happy, nice girls... i can't wait to see them all die a gruesome, disgusting death!

I don't remember how many episodes but you're about half-way done and I think you've got about 3 big arcs left.
Most of the girls you're introduced to are from age's past works. Mitsuki, Haruka and Akane are from Kimi ga Nozomu Eien and Isumi is from Kimi ga Ita Kisetsu.

You've still got a ways to go. I'd say within the latter half of Alternative.

edit: Beaten.

OnFire331 said:
I don't remember how many episodes but you're about half-way done and I think you've got about 3 big arcs left. Most of the girls you're introduced to are from age's past works. Mitsuki, Haruka and Akane are from Kimi ga Nozomu Eien and Isumi is from Kimi ga Ita Kisetsu.

Touko and Munakata were in Kimi ga Ita Kisetsu as well. They both got routes added to the remake via DLC.

OnFire331

Touko and Munakata were in Kimi ga Ita Kisetsu as well. They both got routes added to the remake via DLC.

I didn't know that, I thought their first non-MLA appearance was in the remake.
'

edit: :lol Almost the entire page is filled with black bars. MLA hijack, happens in all the VN discussions eventually.

I didn't know that, I thought their first non-MLA appearance was in the remake.
'

edit: :lol Almost the entire page is filled with black bars. MLA hijack, happens in all the VN discussions eventually.

You'd be right,
I wasn't really clear on it being the remake

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom